Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Best orange creamsicle cake I've ever made

Cake part:
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 eggs
1/3 cup frozen orange juice concentrate
2/3 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon orange extract
2 cups cake flour (236 grams)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
orange food coloring

Preheat oven to 325*°. Grease and flour two 8-inch round cake pans.
Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs
one at a time making sure each egg is thoroughly incorporated before
adding the next. Set aside. In a separate bowl, combine the orange
juice concentrate, the milk, and the extracts. In another bowl, mix
together the dry ingredients. With the mixer on lowest speed, add 1/3
of the dry ingredients to the butter, sugar, egg mixture and mix until
incorporated. Next, add 1/2 of the liquid and do the same. Repeat
with half the remaining flour mixture and the rest of the liquid.
Finally, add in the rest of the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
Add food coloring to color the batter orange. I use concentrated
liquid paste color from a bakery. Divide the batter between the two
cake pans. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the tops spring back when
lightly touched and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the
center. Let cool for 10 minutes before turning out.

Filling part:
1 cup milk
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 1/2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
orange food coloring

Stir together the sugar and the cornstarch in a small sauce pan. Add
the remaining ingredients and stir until dissolved. Cook over medium
heat, stirring continuously, until it comes to a boil and thickens.
Be sure it boils for a good minute or two to remove the raw cornstarch
taste. Let cool completely in the refrigerator.

Whipped icing part:
1 cup milk
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

Combine the milk and flour together in a small pan. Cook over medium
heat, stirring continuously until it comes to a boil and thickens.
Let it boil for a minute or two to remove the raw flour taste. Remove
from heat and cool completely (room temperature or cooler). It should
be very thick, like a big blob of paste. Meanwhile, cream the butter
and sugar together a good 5 minutes. Add the cooked paste mixture and
beat another 5 minutes. Stir in the vanilla.

Assembly:
Split the two cake layers in half. Lay the first half-layer crumb
side up on the plate. Pipe a small border of the whipped icing around
the cake near the edge. This is to keep the filling from oozing out.
Spread 1/3 of the orange filling on top of the cake. Put the 2nd half
of the layer on top. Pipe another border of icing on top of that.
Fill it with half the remaining orange filling and also spread some of
the whipped icing on top as well. Put the next half-layer on top.
Pipe a border of icing around the edge and fill the center with the
remaining orange filling. Put the remaining layer of cake on top and
ice the entire cake with the rest of the whipped icing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Best orange creamsicle cake I've ever made

wrote:
> [...]
> and sugar together a good 5 minutes. Add the cooked paste mixture and
> beat another 5 minutes. Stir in the vanilla.
>
> Assembly:
> Split the two cake layers in half. Lay the first half-layer crumb
> side up on the plate. Pipe a small border of the whipped icing around
> the cake near the edge. This is to keep the filling from oozing out.
> Spread 1/3 of the orange filling on top of the cake. Put the 2nd half
> of the layer on top. Pipe another border of icing on top of that.
> Fill it with half the remaining orange filling and also spread some of
> the whipped icing on top as well. Put the next half-layer on top.
> Pipe a border of icing around the edge and fill the center with the
> remaining orange filling. Put the remaining layer of cake on top and
> ice the entire cake with the rest of the whipped icing.

I was just checking out some orange creamsicle cakes the other day. I went
to Google Images and did a search for "cake glitter", and all sorts of
exotic cakes popped up.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...q=cake+glitter

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Orange Creamsicle Shake Kathy[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 08-06-2008 06:02 PM
Orange Creamsicle Shake Kathy[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 18-05-2008 03:23 AM
Creamsicle Cake SP Recipes (moderated) 0 11-11-2007 03:51 AM
Orange Zucchini Cake with Orange Cream Cheese Icing Cookie Cooks Recipes (moderated) 0 25-11-2006 04:18 AM
Orange Creamsicle Cake Linda1 Recipes (moderated) 0 21-01-2004 01:26 PM