Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I should have waited

Some time ago one side of the handle on my 8" Henckle chef knife
cracked. After a while the handle on the other side cracked. The broken
piece were held in place by a rivet, but about two months ago the head
of the rivet came off and the piece of handle was no longer secure.

The store where I had bought it had gone out of business more than 15
years ago, and I had bought it probably 10 years before that. I had no
expectations of it being guaranteed, so I went out looking for a knew
one. I checked out the web site for The Bay to price out a new one. Then
I went to a local restaurant supply store where I found one for $50
less. I bought it.

Later on I started thinking that maybe I could get the handle of the old
one repaired, but was unable to find anyone around to do it. I contacted
the Henckle site. A few days later I got an replay asking for details
about the knife, but they weren't sure they could help me. After a
couple more emails the woman suggested I could send it in to them and
they would see what they could do.

My wife mailed it to them a week ago Monday. I just had a package
delivered by courier......a brand new knife.

I have four Henckles knives. This is the second on that they have
replaced. I have always been happy with those knives, and I sure can't
complain about their customer support.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 8, 8:04*am, Dave Smith > wrote:
> Some time ago one side of the handle on my 8" Henckle chef knife
> cracked. After a while the handle on the other side cracked. The broken
> piece were held in place by a rivet, but about two months ago the head
> of the rivet came off and the piece of handle was no longer secure.
>
> The store where I had bought it had gone out of business more than 15
> years ago, and I had bought it probably 10 years before that. I had no
> expectations of it being guaranteed, so I went out looking for a knew
> one. I checked out the web site for The Bay to price out a new one. Then
> I went to a local restaurant supply store where I found one for $50
> less. *I bought it.
>
> Later on I started thinking that maybe I could get the handle of the old
> one repaired, but was unable to find anyone around to do it. I contacted
> the Henckle site. A few days later I got an replay asking for details
> about the knife, but they weren't sure they could help me. After a
> couple more emails the woman suggested I could send it in to them and
> they would see what they could do.
>
> My wife mailed it to them a week ago Monday. *I just had a package
> delivered by courier......a brand new knife.
>
> I have four Henckles knives. *This is the second on that they have
> replaced. I have always been happy with those knives, and I sure can't
> complain about their customer support.

Wow- that is great customer service!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 11:04:13 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> I have four Henckles knives. This is the second on that they have
> replaced. I have always been happy with those knives, and I sure can't
> complain about their customer support.

What on earth do you do to break them and need customer service
support like that? I have had both Henckles and Wustoff for decades
and have never had a single issue with them (with the 6" Wusthof
chef's knife in daily use)!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 11:04:13 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Some time ago one side of the handle on my 8" Henckle chef knife
>cracked. After a while the handle on the other side cracked. The broken
>piece were held in place by a rivet, but about two months ago the head
>of the rivet came off and the piece of handle was no longer secure.
>
>The store where I had bought it had gone out of business more than 15
>years ago, and I had bought it probably 10 years before that. I had no
>expectations of it being guaranteed, so I went out looking for a knew
>one. I checked out the web site for The Bay to price out a new one. Then
>I went to a local restaurant supply store where I found one for $50
>less. I bought it.
>

>Later on I started thinking that maybe I could get the handle of the old
>one repaired, but was unable to find anyone around to do it. I contacted
>the Henckle site. A few days later I got an replay asking for details
>about the knife, but they weren't sure they could help me. After a
>couple more emails the woman suggested I could send it in to them and
>they would see what they could do.
>
>My wife mailed it to them a week ago Monday. I just had a package
>delivered by courier......a brand new knife.
>
>I have four Henckles knives. This is the second on that they have
>replaced. I have always been happy with those knives, and I sure can't
>complain about their customer support.

I knew Henkles would either repair or send a new one.
You can buy the parts for knife handles at LeeValley.com. They sell
wooden blanks of many tropical hardwoods and they sell the special
rivets... all very inexpensive and requires only moderate skill.
http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware...=3,41306,41327
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...at=1,250,43217
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...43,53784,53611
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 11:04:13 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>>Some time ago one side of the handle on my 8" Henckle chef knife
>>cracked. After a while the handle on the other side cracked. The broken
>>piece were held in place by a rivet, but about two months ago the head
>>of the rivet came off and the piece of handle was no longer secure.
>>
>>The store where I had bought it had gone out of business more than 15
>>years ago, and I had bought it probably 10 years before that. I had no
>>expectations of it being guaranteed, so I went out looking for a knew
>>one. I checked out the web site for The Bay to price out a new one. Then
>>I went to a local restaurant supply store where I found one for $50
>>less. I bought it.
>>

>>Later on I started thinking that maybe I could get the handle of the old
>>one repaired, but was unable to find anyone around to do it. I contacted
>>the Henckle site. A few days later I got an replay asking for details
>>about the knife, but they weren't sure they could help me. After a
>>couple more emails the woman suggested I could send it in to them and
>>they would see what they could do.
>>
>>My wife mailed it to them a week ago Monday. I just had a package
>>delivered by courier......a brand new knife.
>>
>>I have four Henckles knives. This is the second on that they have
>>replaced. I have always been happy with those knives, and I sure can't
>>complain about their customer support.

> I knew Henkles would either repair or send a new one.
> You can buy the parts for knife handles at LeeValley.com. They sell
> wooden blanks of many tropical hardwoods and they sell the special
> rivets... all very inexpensive and requires only moderate skill.
> http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware...=3,41306,41327
> http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...at=1,250,43217
> http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...43,53784,53611

They also have a nice line of French Sabatier cooks' knives.
http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...33,40738,45507

Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/8/2013 3:18 PM, graham wrote:
> "Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 11:04:13 -0500, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Some time ago one side of the handle on my 8" Henckle chef knife
>>> cracked. After a while the handle on the other side cracked. The broken
>>> piece were held in place by a rivet, but about two months ago the head
>>> of the rivet came off and the piece of handle was no longer secure.
>>>
>>> The store where I had bought it had gone out of business more than 15
>>> years ago, and I had bought it probably 10 years before that. I had no
>>> expectations of it being guaranteed, so I went out looking for a knew
>>> one. I checked out the web site for The Bay to price out a new one. Then
>>> I went to a local restaurant supply store where I found one for $50
>>> less. I bought it.
>>>

>>> Later on I started thinking that maybe I could get the handle of the old
>>> one repaired, but was unable to find anyone around to do it. I contacted
>>> the Henckle site. A few days later I got an replay asking for details
>>> about the knife, but they weren't sure they could help me. After a
>>> couple more emails the woman suggested I could send it in to them and
>>> they would see what they could do.
>>>
>>> My wife mailed it to them a week ago Monday. I just had a package
>>> delivered by courier......a brand new knife.
>>>
>>> I have four Henckles knives. This is the second on that they have
>>> replaced. I have always been happy with those knives, and I sure can't
>>> complain about their customer support.

>> I knew Henkles would either repair or send a new one.
>> You can buy the parts for knife handles at LeeValley.com. They sell
>> wooden blanks of many tropical hardwoods and they sell the special
>> rivets... all very inexpensive and requires only moderate skill.
>> http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware...=3,41306,41327
>> http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...at=1,250,43217
>> http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...43,53784,53611

> They also have a nice line of French Sabatier cooks' knives.
> http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...33,40738,45507
>
> Graham

You can buy a ceramic 8 inch knife for $20.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Mar 2013 13:18:14 -0700, "graham" > wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 11:04:13 -0500, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Some time ago one side of the handle on my 8" Henckle chef knife
>>>cracked. After a while the handle on the other side cracked. The broken
>>>piece were held in place by a rivet, but about two months ago the head
>>>of the rivet came off and the piece of handle was no longer secure.
>>>
>>>The store where I had bought it had gone out of business more than 15
>>>years ago, and I had bought it probably 10 years before that. I had no
>>>expectations of it being guaranteed, so I went out looking for a knew
>>>one. I checked out the web site for The Bay to price out a new one. Then
>>>I went to a local restaurant supply store where I found one for $50
>>>less. I bought it.
>>>

>>>Later on I started thinking that maybe I could get the handle of the old
>>>one repaired, but was unable to find anyone around to do it. I contacted
>>>the Henckle site. A few days later I got an replay asking for details
>>>about the knife, but they weren't sure they could help me. After a
>>>couple more emails the woman suggested I could send it in to them and
>>>they would see what they could do.
>>>
>>>My wife mailed it to them a week ago Monday. I just had a package
>>>delivered by courier......a brand new knife.
>>>
>>>I have four Henckles knives. This is the second on that they have
>>>replaced. I have always been happy with those knives, and I sure can't
>>>complain about their customer support.

>> I knew Henkles would either repair or send a new one.
>> You can buy the parts for knife handles at LeeValley.com. They sell
>> wooden blanks of many tropical hardwoods and they sell the special
>> rivets... all very inexpensive and requires only moderate skill.
>> http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware...=3,41306,41327
>> http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...at=1,250,43217
>> http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...43,53784,53611

>They also have a nice line of French Sabatier cooks' knives.
>http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...33,40738,45507

Lee Valley sells several other very nice kitchen knives too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 14:25:38 -0600, jay > wrote:

>In article >,
> Dave Smith > wrote:
>

>> Later on I started thinking that maybe I could get the handle of the old
>> one repaired, but was unable to find anyone around to do it. I contacted
>> the Henckle site. A few days later I got an replay asking for details
>> about the knife, but they weren't sure they could help me. After a
>> couple more emails the woman suggested I could send it in to them and
>> they would see what they could do.
>>
>> My wife mailed it to them a week ago Monday. I just had a package
>> delivered by courier......a brand new knife.
>>
>> I have four Henckles knives. This is the second on that they have
>> replaced. I have always been happy with those knives, and I sure can't
>> complain about their customer support.

>I also have a broken handle on one. It has been cracked for some years
>and the handle has now fallen off. May just ask them about it. I have a
>stove that has burner grates with little "rubber" bumpers under each of
>them in a few places. Needless to say they have dried up from the heat.
>Wrote the factory about where to buy replacements. They sent me ~ 50 lbs
>of all new burner grates at no cost. All I really wanted was some new
>rubbers. It's amazing how good some manufacturers service is while with
>others it is NON existent.

Which brand stove? GE sent me all four new burner grates because one
had warped.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 15:30:43 -0600, jay > wrote:

>In article >,
> Brooklyn1 > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 14:25:38 -0600, jay > wrote:

>> >I also have a broken handle on one. It has been cracked for some years
>> >and the handle has now fallen off. May just ask them about it. I have a
>> >stove that has burner grates with little "rubber" bumpers under each of
>> >them in a few places. Needless to say they have dried up from the heat.
>> >Wrote the factory about where to buy replacements. They sent me ~ 50 lbs
>> >of all new burner grates at no cost. All I really wanted was some new
>> >rubbers. It's amazing how good some manufacturers service is while with
>> >others it is NON existent.

>> Which brand stove? GE sent me all four new burner grates because one
>> had warped.

>Wolf no e.

Too late, I already read your last post with the incorrect spelling.

No explanation was necessary, especially without leaving your error,
makes you look smarmy instead of someone who just made a typo and
moved on.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 08/03/2013 1:33 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 11:04:13 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> I have four Henckles knives. This is the second on that they have
>> replaced. I have always been happy with those knives, and I sure can't
>> complain about their customer support.

> What on earth do you do to break them and need customer service
> support like that? I have had both Henckles and Wustoff for decades
> and have never had a single issue with them (with the 6" Wusthof
> chef's knife in daily use)!

The first one was a bread knife that somehow managed to slide off the
counter and landed handle first on our brand new ceramic tile floor. The
blade snapped in half. I took it back to the store where I had bought it
and they replaced it. With the second one the rivet that holds the two
halves of the handled corroded. That may have put pressure on the
material that popped it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> I have four Henckles knives. This is the second on that they have
> replaced. I have always been happy with those knives, and I sure can't
> complain about their customer support.

My wife bought me a good set of Henckels in a knife block in 1987 from
Macy's. About ten years later, the boning knife blade broke in half
while I was deboning a chunk of meat.
I took the broken knife back to Macy's and presented it to a fresh faced
kid in the cutlery department. He asked if I had my receipt. I had not.
I started to protest when a more experienced employee stepped in and
gave me a replacement knife with her apologies.
That is the only problem I've ever had with the set. I still use those
knives everyday without ever having had them sharpened. I always hand
wash and hone each one after every use. They're superior knives, given a
chance.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/8/2013 9:00 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> My wife bought me a good set of Henckels in a knife block in 1987 from
> Macy's. About ten years later, the boning knife blade broke in half
> while I was deboning a chunk of meat.
> I took the broken knife back to Macy's and presented it to a fresh faced
> kid in the cutlery department. He asked if I had my receipt. I had not.
> I started to protest when a more experienced employee stepped in and
> gave me a replacement knife with her apologies.
> That is the only problem I've ever had with the set. I still use those
> knives everyday without ever having had them sharpened. I always hand
> wash and hone each one after every use. They're superior knives, given a
> chance.

Back in the early 80's, my Mom started giving me one Henkels knife each
year for Christmas. When she died, also got hers so I had quite a few.
I kept what I wanted and gave the rest away.

I still have them and use them every day.

George L
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Smith[_1_] View Post
[...]

Glad to hear they treated you right. After interviewing every professional butcher in my area. I went with Foschner/Victornox (sic?) knives. Stamped out by yummin yimmines in Sweden I think. Have a fairly full set. Love them to death. I dont mind the super hard German knives..as long as I aint the owner..lol. I spent half a day trying to help some pals get an edge on one during a bbq cookoff one time. That thing would still not cut hot butter when I got done with it..lol. My little lowly Forschners need about two licks on the steel and they will give you a shave..lol. Next time when it come time to buy a knife consider the synthetic handles. Much more practical than wood for hard use and most claim easier to sanitize. But some argue the other way on that one.

Last edited by bigwheel : 09-03-2013 at 08:18 PM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bigwheel" > wrote in message

> 'Dave Smith[_1_ Wrote:
>> ;1819679']Some time ago one side of the handle on my 8" Henckle chef
>> knife
>> cracked. After a while the handle on the other side cracked. The broken
>>
>> piece were held in place by a rivet, but about two months ago the head
>> of the rivet came off and the piece of handle was no longer secure.
>>
>> The store where I had bought it had gone out of business more than 15
>> years ago, and I had bought it probably 10 years before that. I had no
>> expectations of it being guaranteed, so I went out looking for a knew
>> one. I checked out the web site for The Bay to price out a new one. Then
>>
>> I went to a local restaurant supply store where I found one for $50
>> less. I bought it.
>>

>> Later on I started thinking that maybe I could get the handle of the old
>>
>> one repaired, but was unable to find anyone around to do it. I contacted
>>
>> the Henckle site. A few days later I got an replay asking for details
>> about the knife, but they weren't sure they could help me. After a
>> couple more emails the woman suggested I could send it in to them and
>> they would see what they could do.
>>
>> My wife mailed it to them a week ago Monday. I just had a package
>> delivered by courier......a brand new knife.
>>
>> I have four Henckles knives. This is the second on that they have
>> replaced. I have always been happy with those knives, and I sure can't
>> complain about their customer support.

> Glad to hear they treated you right. After interviewing every
> professional butcher in my area. I went with Foschner/Victornox (sic?)
> knives. Stamped out by yummin yimmines in Sweden I think. Have a fairly
> full set. Love them to death. I dont mind the super hard German
> knives..as long as I aint the owner..lol. I spent half a day trying to
> help some pals get an edge on one during a bbq cookoff one time. That
> thing would still not cut hot butter when I got done with it..lol. My
> little lowly Forschners need about two licks on the steel and they will
> give you a shave..lol. Next time when it come time to buy a knife
> consider the synthetic handles. Much more practical than wood for hard
> use and most claim easier to sanitize. But some argue the other way on
> that one.

Knives tend to be a very personal choice. I have nothing against Henckels
and Wusthoffs but I happen to like the feel and balance of genuine Sabatiers
(there are a lot of Chinese knock-offs out there).
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> On 3/8/2013 3:18 PM, graham wrote:
>> "Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
>>> On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 11:04:13 -0500, Dave Smith

>>> I knew Henkles would either repair or send a new one.
>>> You can buy the parts for knife handles at LeeValley.com. They sell
>>> wooden blanks of many tropical hardwoods and they sell the special
>>> rivets... all very inexpensive and requires only moderate skill.
>>> http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware...=3,41306,41327
>>> http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...at=1,250,43217
>>> http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...43,53784,53611

>> They also have a nice line of French Sabatier cooks' knives.
>> http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...33,40738,45507
>>
>> Graham
>>

> You can buy a ceramic 8 inch knife for $20.

I have been tempted to buy a ceramic pairing knife but I have a couple of
steel ones that work just fine. I have also been tempted to buy one of those
über-expensive, hand made Japanese knives that are so beautiful to look at,
but I'd be reluctant to use it and that would be a waste.
Graham.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/10/2013 1:12 PM, graham wrote:
> "James Silverton" > wrote in message

>>> They also have a nice line of French Sabatier cooks' knives.
>>> http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...33,40738,45507
>>>
>>> Graham
>>>

>> You can buy a ceramic 8 inch knife for $20.
>>

> I have been tempted to buy a ceramic pairing knife but I have a couple of
> steel ones that work just fine. I have also been tempted to buy one of those
> über-expensive, hand made Japanese knives that are so beautiful to look at,
> but I'd be reluctant to use it and that would be a waste.
> Graham.

I have about 20 goodish knives but the ceramic eight-incher has replaced
most of them over the past 6 months. I don't care to risk breaking it so
I use my heavy steel knife for crushing and chopping garlic.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham View Post
"bigwheel" wrote in message

'Dave Smith[_1_ Wrote:
[...]

Know dats right. Guess the only knife I ever bought which was total unuseable was a Russell-Dexter big long curved scimitar butcher knife. Knew it was too cheap. Shoulda smelled a rat. Appeared ideal for rocking through cooked spare ribs..but was not too be. Way too light on the front end..turned into a total two handed operation plust give a person corporal tunnell syndrone for good measure. My Forschners dont act rude like that and cost surprisingly not much more than that peece o sheet. I save the Chinese ginzu knife for splitting half froze raw chickens. Works well. Then you can cut through an car tire with it if you want..lol.

Last edited by bigwheel : 11-03-2013 at 01:21 AM