Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pig Tails and Sweet Ribs

Braise pig tails in roasting pan until tender. In the oven. Layer
the ribs in the pan, then pack some brown sugar. Top up with apple
juice and ginger ale. My mum used to make these.
Then that liquid, once finished with the tails, is simmered until it
gets a dark syrupy colour. Then you toss some slow cooked St. Louis
cut side ribs into the pot. Simmer for about 15 minutes.
Before serving tails, grill over (preferably) lump charcoal. Baste
with favourite BBQ sauce.
Sometimes simple is very good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love wrote:
> Braise pig tails in roasting pan until tender. In the oven. Layer
> the ribs in the pan, then pack some brown sugar. Top up with apple
> juice and ginger ale. My mum used to make these.
> Then that liquid, once finished with the tails, is simmered until it
> gets a dark syrupy colour. Then you toss some slow cooked St. Louis
> cut side ribs into the pot. Simmer for about 15 minutes.
> Before serving tails, grill over (preferably) lump charcoal. Baste
> with favourite BBQ sauce.
> Sometimes simple is very good.

Sounds fantastic.

But I'll be shoe leather, cooked in brown sugar, apple juice, and ginger
ale and basted with barbeque sauce wouldn't taste all that bad, either.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Mar 2013 08:03:41 -0800 (PST), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

>Braise pig tails in roasting pan until tender. In the oven. Layer
>the ribs in the pan, then pack some brown sugar. Top up with apple
>juice and ginger ale. My mum used to make these.
>Then that liquid, once finished with the tails, is simmered until it
>gets a dark syrupy colour. Then you toss some slow cooked St. Louis
>cut side ribs into the pot. Simmer for about 15 minutes.
>Before serving tails, grill over (preferably) lump charcoal. Baste
>with favourite BBQ sauce.
>Sometimes simple is very good.

I'd be eager to try it, but I have never seen pig tails offered for
sale.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 11:59:12 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> I'd be eager to try it, but I have never seen pig tails offered for
> sale.

I just saw them at an Asian butcher, but had something else in mind so
I didn't buy them. Glad I saw this. Maybe I'll get some and
experiment. Do they have a lot of meat on them? It looked like they
did, but I had a big piece of pork shoulder/butt in mind to make
something in particular - so that's what I bought. I was going to
make tamales out of the leftovers, but son & granddaughter will be
having dinner here tonight so I guess I'll make chili verde enchiladas
instead.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 7, 11:03*am, A Moose in Love >
wrote:
> Braise pig tails in roasting pan until tender. *In the oven. *Layer
> the ribs in the pan, then pack some brown sugar.

Ooops. I meant layer pigtails in pan, pack brown sugar, then another
layer depending on how many tails you got.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 7, 1:59*pm, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Mar 2013 08:03:41 -0800 (PST), A Moose in Love
>
> > wrote:
> >Braise pig tails in roasting pan until tender. *In the oven. *Layer
> >the ribs in the pan, then pack some brown sugar. *Top up with apple
> >juice and ginger ale. *My mum used to make these.
> >Then that liquid, once finished with the tails, is simmered until it
> >gets a dark syrupy colour. *Then you toss some slow cooked St. Louis
> >cut side ribs into the pot. *Simmer for about 15 minutes.
> >Before serving tails, grill over (preferably) lump charcoal. *Baste
> >with favourite BBQ sauce.
> >Sometimes simple is very good.

> I'd be eager to try it, but I have never seen pig tails offered for
> sale.
> Janet US

If you ever find them, make sure they are nice and meaty. The one
supermarket here sells the meaty end. The long thin part, that's
outside of the animal has too much skin etc.
I've only seen them for sale at one store here. They are also sold at
the Farmer's Market on Saturday. One vendor there sells smoked pig
tails, but they are the long thin part. I've never purchased them;
they turn me off.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 7, 3:17*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 11:59:12 -0700, Janet Bostwick
>
> > wrote:
> > I'd be eager to try it, but I have never seen pig tails offered for
> > sale.

> I just saw them at an Asian butcher, but had something else in mind so
> I didn't buy them. *Glad I saw this. *Maybe I'll get some and
> experiment. *Do they have a lot of meat on them? *It looked like they
> did, but I had a big piece of pork shoulder/butt in mind to make
> something in particular - so that's what I bought. *I was going to
> make tamales out of the leftovers, but son & granddaughter will be
> having dinner here tonight so I guess I'll make chili verde enchiladas
> instead.
>
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

You can't really ruin pig tails. If you want them meaty, if you can,
get the meaty part. The store here that sells them has the meaty part
on sale. The long skinny part (the visible part of the tail) turns me
off.
Even if you just simmer them in kraut, as long as they are tender,
they are tasty.
There is a restaurant here that sells southern type barbecue tails;
they're the long skinny part of the tail. I have heard only negative
tales about their product. I suppose they're OK if you like to chew
on skin.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Mar 2013 18:54:09 -0800 (PST), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

> You can't really ruin pig tails. If you want them meaty, if you can,
> get the meaty part. The store here that sells them has the meaty part
> on sale. The long skinny part (the visible part of the tail) turns me
> off.

Never having seen "pig tails" before, I was totally surprised when the
butcher picked up something that was almost 3 feet long! I think that
was the entire thing.

> Even if you just simmer them in kraut, as long as they are tender,
> they are tasty.

Can't do Kraut, because hubby hates it. Any other ideas?

> There is a restaurant here that sells southern type barbecue tails;
> they're the long skinny part of the tail. I have heard only negative
> tales about their product. I suppose they're OK if you like to chew
> on skin.

Okay. I'll have the butcher cut it into pieces.... but I still need
to figure out what to do with them. Maybe I can strip the meat from
the bone and make chili, tamales or enchiladas with it.

Member

I haven’t tried pigtails before but really wanna taste it now. Above feedbacks impressed me a lot.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 8, 1:47*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Mar 2013 08:03:41 -0800 (PST), A Moose in Love wrote:
>
> > Braise pig tails in roasting pan until tender. *In the oven. *Layer
> > the ribs in the pan, then pack some brown sugar. *Top up with apple
> > juice and ginger ale. *My mum used to make these.
> > Then that liquid, once finished with the tails, is simmered until it
> > gets a dark syrupy colour. *Then you toss some slow cooked St. Louis
> > cut side ribs into the pot. *Simmer for about 15 minutes.
> > Before serving tails, grill over (preferably) lump charcoal. *Baste
> > with favourite BBQ sauce.
> > Sometimes simple is very good.

> **** all that. *Just rub them down with salt and coarse pepper and
> throw them on the smoker. *No brown sugar, no ginger ale, no bullshit
> BBQ sauce.

Don't knock it till you've tried them done that way. You could
probably get away with simmering them in plain water, then grill them
over lump.

> Pork spare ribs and pig tails on the smoker:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/
>
> -sw (who just lost his source for pig tails)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 8, 1:47*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Mar 2013 08:03:41 -0800 (PST), A Moose in Love wrote:
>
> > Braise pig tails in roasting pan until tender. *In the oven. *Layer
> > the ribs in the pan, then pack some brown sugar. *Top up with apple
> > juice and ginger ale. *My mum used to make these.
> > Then that liquid, once finished with the tails, is simmered until it
> > gets a dark syrupy colour. *Then you toss some slow cooked St. Louis
> > cut side ribs into the pot. *Simmer for about 15 minutes.
> > Before serving tails, grill over (preferably) lump charcoal. *Baste
> > with favourite BBQ sauce.
> > Sometimes simple is very good.

> **** all that. *Just rub them down with salt and coarse pepper and
> throw them on the smoker. *No brown sugar, no ginger ale, no bullshit
> BBQ sauce.
>
> Pork spare ribs and pig tails on the smoker:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/

Hmmm. They do look good.

> -sw (who just lost his source for pig tails)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 8, 12:39*am, sf > wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Mar 2013 18:54:09 -0800 (PST), A Moose in Love
>
> > wrote:
> > You can't really ruin pig tails. *If you want them meaty, if you can,
> > get the meaty part. *The store here that sells them has the meaty part
> > on sale. *The long skinny part (the visible part of the tail) turns me
> > off.

> Never having seen "pig tails" before, I was totally surprised when the
> butcher picked up something that was almost 3 feet long! *I think that
> was the entire thing.
>
> > Even if you just simmer them in kraut, as long as they are tender,
> > they are tasty.

> Can't do Kraut, because hubby hates it. *Any other ideas?

Only what I've seen on the net. Some people bread them and fry them.
They cook them off first though, until tender.

> > There is a restaurant here that sells southern type barbecue tails;
> > they're the long skinny part of the tail. *I have heard only negative
> > tales about their product. *I suppose they're OK if you like to chew
> > on skin.

> Okay. *I'll have the butcher cut it into pieces.... but I still need
> to figure out what to do with them. *Maybe I can strip the meat from
> the bone and make chili, tamales or enchiladas with it.
>
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/8/2013 9:46 AM, jay wrote:
> In article
> >,
> A Moose in Love > wrote:
>

>> You can't really ruin pig tails.

> I believe that. I guess there is nothing on that pig you can't eat..
> well as they say.. except for maybe the squeal. I have only seen the
> little pink tails and ears hanging in Asian markets already "cooked." I
> would try 'em on the grill or smoker if I could find some.
>

> jay

Not sure about the tails but they sell pig ears as dog treats. I'd
rather not eat dog treats, thanks.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 8, 9:46*am, jay > wrote:
> In article
> >,
> *A Moose in Love > wrote:
>

> > You can't really ruin pig tails.

> I believe that. *I guess there is nothing on that pig you can't eat..
> well as they say.. except for maybe the squeal. *I have only seen the
> little pink tails and ears hanging in Asian markets already "cooked." *I
> would try 'em on the grill or smoker if I could find some.
>
> jay

My Grand Father used to like pig ears in aspic. I don't see the
attraction because I don't think they're very meaty. He's from the
old country. They used every part of the pig including lungs (which
they used in their pork broth on day of butchering). Some food
doesn't turn me on, but relatives from Hungary liked this stuff. They
were used to it I suppose.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/8/2013 6:59 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 10:55:23 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Not sure about the tails but they sell pig ears as dog treats. I'd
>> rather not eat dog treats, thanks.

> Om was telling us about how she would eat the bags of chicken
> tenderloin jerky made for dogs.
>
> -sw

She can have my share! (I haven't seen her in ages.)

Jill