Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I had to look this one up

I was reading a cookbook with early origins (1901) although the
edition I have is dated 1963. I was reading recipes for soup and an
ingredient that was called for was Green Kern. Never heard of it
before. Apparently it is a dried unripe grain, most often wheat but
can be rye or barley. Who knew?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 6, 2:03*pm, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> I was reading a cookbook with early origins (1901) although the
> edition I have is dated 1963. *I was reading recipes for soup and an
> ingredient that was called for was Green Kern. *Never heard of it
> before. *Apparently it is a dried unripe grain, most often wheat but
> can be rye or barley. *Who knew?
> Janet US

I knew.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 15:03:55 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>I was reading a cookbook with early origins (1901) although the
>edition I have is dated 1963. I was reading recipes for soup and an
>ingredient that was called for was Green Kern. Never heard of it
>before. Apparently it is a dried unripe grain, most often wheat but
>can be rye or barley. Who knew?
>Janet US

Not me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/6/2013 5:13 PM, Jeßus wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 15:03:55 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> > wrote:
>
>> I was reading a cookbook with early origins (1901) although the
>> edition I have is dated 1963. I was reading recipes for soup and an
>> ingredient that was called for was Green Kern. Never heard of it
>> before. Apparently it is a dried unripe grain, most often wheat but
>> can be rye or barley. Who knew?
>> Janet US

> Not me

Are you going to be able to get it and try it?

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 6 Mar 2013 14:11:24 -0800 (PST), Chemo >
wrote:

>On Mar 6, 2:03*pm, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>> I was reading a cookbook with early origins (1901) although the
>> edition I have is dated 1963. *I was reading recipes for soup and an
>> ingredient that was called for was Green Kern. *Never heard of it
>> before. *Apparently it is a dried unripe grain, most often wheat but
>> can be rye or barley. *Who knew?
>> Janet US

>I knew.

And you will be the winner of the prize of the day -- some green
kern.
Seriously. Why did you know?
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 6, 5:13*pm, Jeßus > wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 15:03:55 -0700, Janet Bostwick
>
> > wrote:
> >I was reading a cookbook with early origins (1901) although the
> >edition I have is dated 1963. *I was reading recipes for soup and an
> >ingredient that was called for was Green Kern. *Never heard of it
> >before. *Apparently it is a dried unripe grain, most often wheat but
> >can be rye or barley. *Who knew?
> >Janet US

> Not me

I would think the type you used would make a big difference in a
recipe.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 6, 4:06*pm, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Mar 2013 14:11:24 -0800 (PST), Chemo >
> wrote:
>
> >On Mar 6, 2:03*pm, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> >> I was reading a cookbook with early origins (1901) although the
> >> edition I have is dated 1963. *I was reading recipes for soup and an
> >> ingredient that was called for was Green Kern. *Never heard of it
> >> before. *Apparently it is a dried unripe grain, most often wheat but
> >> can be rye or barley. *Who knew?
> >> Janet US

> >I knew.

> *And you will be the winner of the prize of the day -- some green
> kern.
> Seriously. *Why did you know?
> Janet US

I was just pullin' yer leg...but I will take the green kern!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 6 Mar 2013 16:55:37 -0800 (PST), Chemo >
wrote:

>On Mar 6, 4:06*pm, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>> On Wed, 6 Mar 2013 14:11:24 -0800 (PST), Chemo >
>> wrote:

>> >I knew.

>> *And you will be the winner of the prize of the day -- some green
>> kern.
>> Seriously. *Why did you know?
>> Janet US

>I was just pullin' yer leg...but I will take the green kern!

Ah, heck. I thought you were going to tell me about some old family
recipe. What a tease. (
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 6 Mar 2013 16:52:16 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Mar 6, 5:13*pm, Jeßus > wrote:
>> On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 15:03:55 -0700, Janet Bostwick
>>
>> > wrote:
>> >I was reading a cookbook with early origins (1901) although the
>> >edition I have is dated 1963. *I was reading recipes for soup and an
>> >ingredient that was called for was Green Kern. *Never heard of it
>> >before. *Apparently it is a dried unripe grain, most often wheat but
>> >can be rye or barley. *Who knew?
>> >Janet US

>> Not me

>I would think the type you used would make a big difference in a
>recipe.

Probably so. I don't know how it was sold, so I don't know if it was
an option to choose.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 17:29:35 -0500, James Silverton
> wrote:

>On 3/6/2013 5:13 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>> On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 15:03:55 -0700, Janet Bostwick
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I was reading a cookbook with early origins (1901) although the
>>> edition I have is dated 1963. I was reading recipes for soup and an
>>> ingredient that was called for was Green Kern. Never heard of it
>>> before. Apparently it is a dried unripe grain, most often wheat but
>>> can be rye or barley. Who knew?
>>> Janet US

>> Not me
>>

>Are you going to be able to get it and try it?

I don't know, I never even considered trying to find it

If I happened to come across some where I buy my grains etc. I'll
certainly give it a shot though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 6 Mar 2013 16:52:16 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Mar 6, 5:13*pm, Jeßus > wrote:
>> On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 15:03:55 -0700, Janet Bostwick
>>
>> > wrote:
>> >I was reading a cookbook with early origins (1901) although the
>> >edition I have is dated 1963. *I was reading recipes for soup and an
>> >ingredient that was called for was Green Kern. *Never heard of it
>> >before. *Apparently it is a dried unripe grain, most often wheat but
>> >can be rye or barley. *Who knew?
>> >Janet US

>> Not me

>I would think the type you used would make a big difference in a
>recipe.

It'd certainly taste different, probably different texture as well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 6, 2:29*pm, James Silverton >
wrote:
> On 3/6/2013 5:13 PM, Jeßus wrote:> On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 15:03:55 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> > > wrote:

> >> I was reading a cookbook with early origins (1901) although the
> >> edition I have is dated 1963. *I was reading recipes for soup and an
> >> ingredient that was called for was Green Kern. *Never heard of it
> >> before. *Apparently it is a dried unripe grain, most often wheat but
> >> can be rye or barley. *Who knew?
> >> Janet US

> > Not me

> Are you going to be able to get it and try it?

You guys are in luck -- roasted green wheat now available at Trader
Joe's and Wholly Foods under its Arabic name, Freekeh:

http://www.haaretz.com/blogs/modern-...-2012-1.408155
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 6, 2:03*pm, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> I was reading a cookbook with early origins (1901) although the
> edition I have is dated 1963. *I was reading recipes for soup and an
> ingredient that was called for was Green Kern. *Never heard of it
> before. *Apparently it is a dried unripe grain, most often wheat but
> can be rye or barley. *Who knew?

And apparently unavailable even in the early 60s:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=7647,4269459
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> I was reading a cookbook with early origins (1901) although the
> edition I have is dated 1963. I was reading recipes for soup and an
> ingredient that was called for was Green Kern. Never heard of it
> before. Apparently it is a dried unripe grain, most often wheat but
> can be rye or barley. Who knew?

If memory serves, a kern is a stone used to grind wheat, so I guess it is
connected.
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/7/2013 4:56 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>> I was reading a cookbook with early origins (1901) although the
>> edition I have is dated 1963. I was reading recipes for soup and an
>> ingredient that was called for was Green Kern. Never heard of it
>> before. Apparently it is a dried unripe grain, most often wheat but
>> can be rye or barley. Who knew?

> If memory serves, a kern is a stone used to grind wheat, so I guess it
> is connected.

Isn't that usually 'quern'?

Kern, quern, kernel, corn - all related, in one way or another

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/6/2013 5:03 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> I was reading a cookbook with early origins (1901) although the
> edition I have is dated 1963. I was reading recipes for soup and an
> ingredient that was called for was Green Kern. Never heard of it
> before. Apparently it is a dried unripe grain, most often wheat but
> can be rye or barley. Who knew?
> Janet US

That's what I love about reading really old recipes. Sometimes you just
don't know what the heck they were talking about.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 3/7/2013 4:56 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>>> I was reading a cookbook with early origins (1901) although the
>>> edition I have is dated 1963. I was reading recipes for soup and an
>>> ingredient that was called for was Green Kern. Never heard of it
>>> before. Apparently it is a dried unripe grain, most often wheat but
>>> can be rye or barley. Who knew?

>> If memory serves, a kern is a stone used to grind wheat, so I guess it
>> is connected.

> Isn't that usually 'quern'?
>
> Kern, quern, kernel, corn - all related, in one way or another

Yes I think so. They all seem to be interconnected.

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/7/2013 8:59 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "S Viemeister" > wrote
>> On 3/7/2013 4:56 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote
>>>
>>> If memory serves, a kern is a stone used to grind wheat, so I guess it
>>> is connected.

>> Isn't that usually 'quern'?
>>
>> Kern, quern, kernel, corn - all related, in one way or another

> Yes I think so. They all seem to be interconnected.

From the same Indo-European root as grain.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 6 Mar 2013 20:46:43 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
> wrote:

>On Mar 6, 2:03*pm, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>> I was reading a cookbook with early origins (1901) although the
>> edition I have is dated 1963. *I was reading recipes for soup and an
>> ingredient that was called for was Green Kern. *Never heard of it
>> before. *Apparently it is a dried unripe grain, most often wheat but
>> can be rye or barley. *Who knew?

>And apparently unavailable even in the early 60s:
>
>http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=7647,4269459

Thank you for the interesting research. I didn't find any leads like
that. How did you get from green kern to freekeh?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 08:03:48 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 3/6/2013 5:03 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> I was reading a cookbook with early origins (1901) although the
>> edition I have is dated 1963. I was reading recipes for soup and an
>> ingredient that was called for was Green Kern. Never heard of it
>> before. Apparently it is a dried unripe grain, most often wheat but
>> can be rye or barley. Who knew?
>> Janet US
>>

>That's what I love about reading really old recipes. Sometimes you just
>don't know what the heck they were talking about.
>
>Jill

You and I aren't the only ones reading the old stuff -- just watch the
"new" ideas in food. It's all there. It's like recycling fashion or
home decor, new ideas are just old ones polished up. ;o)
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 6 Mar 2013 20:44:43 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
> wrote:

> On Mar 6, 2:29*pm, James Silverton >
> wrote:
> > On 3/6/2013 5:13 PM, Jeßus wrote:> On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 15:03:55 -0700, Janet Bostwick

> > > Not me

> > Are you going to be able to get it and try it?
> >

> You guys are in luck -- roasted green wheat now available at Trader
> Joe's and Wholly Foods under its Arabic name, Freekeh:
>
> http://www.haaretz.com/blogs/modern-...-2012-1.408155

Ha! No kidding?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 08:02:54 -0500, S Viemeister
> wrote:

> On 3/7/2013 4:56 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> >

> > "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> >> I was reading a cookbook with early origins (1901) although the
> >> edition I have is dated 1963. I was reading recipes for soup and an
> >> ingredient that was called for was Green Kern. Never heard of it
> >> before. Apparently it is a dried unripe grain, most often wheat but
> >> can be rye or barley. Who knew?

> > If memory serves, a kern is a stone used to grind wheat, so I guess it
> > is connected.

> Isn't that usually 'quern'?
>
> Kern, quern, kernel, corn - all related, in one way or another

I didn't know. So that stuff they call quorn is corn based? I've
never cared enough to look it up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/7/2013 11:36 AM, sf wrote:
> > wrote:
>> On 3/7/2013 4:56 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote
>>>
>>> If memory serves, a kern is a stone used to grind wheat, so I guess it
>>> is connected.

>> Isn't that usually 'quern'?
>>
>> Kern, quern, kernel, corn - all related, in one way or another

> I didn't know. So that stuff they call quorn is corn based? I've
> never cared enough to look it up.

QuOrn is a fungus-based manufactured food product.
A quErn is used to grind corn/grain.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 7, 7:04*am, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Mar 2013 20:46:43 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
>
> > wrote:
> >On Mar 6, 2:03*pm, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> >> I was reading a cookbook with early origins (1901) although the
> >> edition I have is dated 1963. *I was reading recipes for soup and an
> >> ingredient that was called for was Green Kern. *Never heard of it
> >> before. *Apparently it is a dried unripe grain, most often wheat but
> >> can be rye or barley. *Who knew?

> >And apparently unavailable even in the early 60s:

> >http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...&id=R0YqAAAAIB...

> Thank you for the interesting research. *I didn't find any leads like
> that. *How did you get from green kern to freekeh?

I figured green kern was an anglicized German word, so I searched on
"gruenkern" which took me to German wikipedia, where I recognized the
term "Dinkel" which means "spelt." Which wasn't too helpful, but the
article was also (and only) available in French.

The last line of the French article had the helpful note about frikeh
being the same thing as gruenkern, except out of wheat, not spelt.
Then searching on frikeh gave me a bunch of articles with alternate
spellings.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 12:08:50 -0500, S Viemeister
> wrote:

> On 3/7/2013 11:36 AM, sf wrote:
> > > wrote:

> >> Isn't that usually 'quern'?
> >>
> >> Kern, quern, kernel, corn - all related, in one way or another

> > I didn't know. So that stuff they call quorn is corn based? I've
> > never cared enough to look it up.
> >

> QuOrn is a fungus-based manufactured food product.

Sounds nasty.

> A quErn is used to grind corn/grain.

I understood that part, which is why I asked about quorn which is a
made up name if I've ever heard one that doesn't accurately describe a
fungus based product.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> I was reading a cookbook with early origins (1901) although the
> edition I have is dated 1963. I was reading recipes for soup and an
> ingredient that was called for was Green Kern. Never heard of it
> before. Apparently it is a dried unripe grain, most often wheat but
> can be rye or barley. Who knew?
> Janet US

Grünkern.
Unripe Dinkel.
I give the original names so that you can look up the roots of your
"very early" origins.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/7/2013 2:58 PM, sf wrote:
> > wrote:
>>>
>>> I didn't know. So that stuff they call quorn is corn based? I've
>>> never cared enough to look it up.
>>>

>> QuOrn is a fungus-based manufactured food product.

> Sounds nasty.
>
>> A quErn is used to grind corn/grain.

> I understood that part, which is why I asked about quorn which is a
> made up name if I've ever heard one that doesn't accurately describe a
> fungus based product.

Clever merchandising - were it accurately described, fewer people would
be likely to try it!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

spamtrap1888 wrote:
> On Mar 7, 7:04?am, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>> On Wed, 6 Mar 2013 20:46:43 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
>>
>> > wrote:

>> >And apparently unavailable even in the early 60s:

>> >http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...&id=R0YqAAAAIB...

>> Thank you for the interesting research. ?I didn't find any leads like
>> that. ?How did you get from green kern to freekeh?

> I figured green kern was an anglicized German word, so I searched on
> "gruenkern" which took me to German wikipedia, where I recognized the
> term "Dinkel" which means "spelt." Which wasn't too helpful, but the
> article was also (and only) available in French.
>
> The last line of the French article had the helpful note about frikeh
> being the same thing as gruenkern, except out of wheat, not spelt.
> Then searching on frikeh gave me a bunch of articles with alternate
> spellings.

did someone say Dinkle?

http://i39.tinypic.com/o76qsm.gif

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Mar 2013 11:53:10 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
> wrote:

>On Mar 7, 7:04*am, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>> On Wed, 6 Mar 2013 20:46:43 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
>>
>> > wrote:

>> >And apparently unavailable even in the early 60s:

>> >http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...&id=R0YqAAAAIB...

>> Thank you for the interesting research. *I didn't find any leads like
>> that. *How did you get from green kern to freekeh?

>I figured green kern was an anglicized German word, so I searched on
>"gruenkern" which took me to German wikipedia, where I recognized the
>term "Dinkel" which means "spelt." Which wasn't too helpful, but the
>article was also (and only) available in French.
>
>The last line of the French article had the helpful note about frikeh
>being the same thing as gruenkern, except out of wheat, not spelt.
>Then searching on frikeh gave me a bunch of articles with alternate
>spellings.

Well, thank you for all that effort. My German is sketchy, my French
is mostly non-existent. thanks again
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 21:07:05 +0100, Michael Kuettner
> wrote:

>Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> I was reading a cookbook with early origins (1901) although the
>> edition I have is dated 1963. I was reading recipes for soup and an
>> ingredient that was called for was Green Kern. Never heard of it
>> before. Apparently it is a dried unripe grain, most often wheat but
>> can be rye or barley. Who knew?
>> Janet US
>>

>Grünkern.
>Unripe Dinkel.
>I give the original names so that you can look up the roots of your
>"very early" origins.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Michael Kuettner

thank you, Michael. I only meant relatively 'early' by modern US
standards. I had no idea what green kern was or anything about its
origins. You've been helpful. The book has Milwaukee, Wisconsin
origins so it makes sense that the immigrant Germans would use
something that was familiar.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick > wrote:

> I was reading a cookbook with early origins (1901) although the
> edition I have is dated 1963. I was reading recipes for soup and an
> ingredient that was called for was Green Kern. Never heard of it
> before. Apparently it is a dried unripe grain, most often wheat but
> can be rye or barley. Who knew?

It probably comes from the German Grünkern, which is spelt, harvested
unripe and then dried. It is still very popular in Germany and sold in
every supermarket and "health-food" shop here.
I've posted about it befo
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...81d415165cdeac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 6 Mar 2013 20:44:43 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
> wrote:

>On Mar 6, 2:29*pm, James Silverton >
>wrote:
>> On 3/6/2013 5:13 PM, Jeßus wrote:> On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 15:03:55 -0700, Janet Bostwick

>> > Not me

>> Are you going to be able to get it and try it?
>>

>You guys are in luck -- roasted green wheat now available at Trader
>Joe's and Wholly Foods under its Arabic name, Freekeh:
>
>http://www.haaretz.com/blogs/modern-...-2012-1.408155

Freaky!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/6/2013 5:03 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> I was reading a cookbook with early origins (1901) although the
> edition I have is dated 1963. I was reading recipes for soup and an
> ingredient that was called for was Green Kern. Never heard of it
> before. Apparently it is a dried unripe grain, most often wheat but
> can be rye or barley. Who knew?
> Janet US

I've never heard of it but I guess it gets its name from kernel. No idea.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick > wrote:

> I've only found recipes for green kern soup. Is there another use
> besides soup for Graukern? The recipe I have for soup recommends
> adding a heel of rye bread to the cooking for increased flavor.

Grünkern can be basically used like any other robust, chewy grain, e.g.
pot barley or Camarque red rice. Lots of possibilities.

You can get Grünkern here, for an extortionate price (about 4.5 times
more than it would cost in Germany):

<http://www.germandeli.com/gruenkernwhole.html>

Victor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 21:07:05 +0100, Michael Kuettner
> > wrote:
>
>> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>> I was reading a cookbook with early origins (1901) although the
>>> edition I have is dated 1963. I was reading recipes for soup and an
>>> ingredient that was called for was Green Kern. Never heard of it
>>> before. Apparently it is a dried unripe grain, most often wheat but
>>> can be rye or barley. Who knew?
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> Grünkern.
>> Unripe Dinkel.
>> I give the original names so that you can look up the roots of your
>> "very early" origins.
>>

> thank you, Michael. I only meant relatively 'early' by modern US
> standards. I had no idea what green kern was or anything about its
> origins. You've been helpful. The book has Milwaukee, Wisconsin
> origins so it makes sense that the immigrant Germans would use
> something that was familiar.
> Janet US

It's a nice example of immigrants adapting their vocabulary to the
language in the new country. Since native English speakers can't
pronounce the umlaut in "Grün", they changed that part to green
but kept the "Kern".
It also shows how the term drifted from the original spelt to other
grains more common in the USA.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner