Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Louis' Lunch

On 09/03/2013 5:46 PM, jay wrote:

>> I agree about the ketchup. I rarely use it. I hate it on hamburgers and
>> hot dogs. The only things I usually have ketchup on are meatloaf and
>> macaroni and cheese.

> I certainly would not put ketchup on a good steak or a good burger. I
> use ketchup sometimes for french fries and in cooking when a touch of
> tomato is needed and I don't want to open a whole can of paste. Never
> tried it on macaroni and cheese.

I forgot... there are two other things I have it on. One is bacon
sandwiches. The other is toasted western sandwiches, but I have not had
one of those in years.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Mar 2013 17:17:54 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>I agree about the ketchup. I rarely use it. I hate it on hamburgers and
>hot dogs. The only things I usually have ketchup on are meatloaf and
>macaroni and cheese.

I use it a lot on burgers. Every once in a while, I get on a ketchup
kick and put it on everything. Scrambled eggs, breakfast sausage, even
mix a little with the sour cram on cucumber salad. Friend of mine
puts it on peanut butter on crackers. Not bad, really.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 9, 11:24*am, Brooklyn1 > wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Mar 2013 23:49:22 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
>

> > wrote:
> >On Mar 8, 3:53*pm, Brooklyn1 > wrote:

> >> Yes, I saw that, that's why I posted the link.

> >> They probably should say that at their web site... that they don't
> >> makes me wonder if they really do grind their own meat... that they
> >> keep the cut(s) a secret makes me suspicious... secret meat = mystery
> >> meat. *I used to patronize a restaurant on Long Island named "The
> >> Ground Round"... they ground the meat in a large glass enclosed walk
> >> in fridge, you could clearly see it was beef round... their burgers
> >> were excellent. *They are still on Long Island but they moved to a new
> >> location about 20 miles further east and on the south shore, better to
> >> catch the Hamptons traffic.

> >"The Ground Round" was a chain Howard Johnson's created in the 70s to
> >find a use for their restaurants that were bypassed by the
> >interstates. Frosty mugs of beer, peanut shells on the floor.

> The one I knew wasn't a chain. *The old location was in Commack on
> Jehrico Tpk. *This new one opened after I moved so I've not been and
> don't know how it compares, it's still stand alone and privately
> owned, established 1969 (when the original location opened near the
> Smithaven Mall):http://www.brookhavengroundround.com/home.html

Yeah, those restaurants go back to the HoJo days, but now the
franchisees control their trademarks, etc.

There's at least one HoJo's that refuses to die: http://www.lakeplacidhojos..com/

http://www.groundround.com/About-Us/

http://www.groundround.com/Locations/Map/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/9/2013 6:25 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 09/03/2013 5:46 PM, jay wrote:
>

>>> I agree about the ketchup. I rarely use it. I hate it on hamburgers and
>>> hot dogs. The only things I usually have ketchup on are meatloaf and
>>> macaroni and cheese.

>> I certainly would not put ketchup on a good steak or a good burger. I
>> use ketchup sometimes for french fries and in cooking when a touch of
>> tomato is needed and I don't want to open a whole can of paste. Never
>> tried it on macaroni and cheese.
>>

> I forgot... there are two other things I have it on. One is bacon
> sandwiches. The other is toasted western sandwiches, but I have not had
> one of those in years.

I'm another don't-use-ketchup-much person. What is a toasted western
sandwich?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/03/2013 7:50 AM, jmcquown wrote:

>> I forgot... there are two other things I have it on. One is bacon
>> sandwiches. The other is toasted western sandwiches, but I have not had
>> one of those in years.

> I'm another don't-use-ketchup-much person. What is a toasted western
> sandwich?

A western omelette...... between two pieces of toast.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/10/2013 8:43 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 10/03/2013 7:50 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>>> I forgot... there are two other things I have it on. One is bacon
>>> sandwiches. The other is toasted western sandwiches, but I have not had
>>> one of those in years.

>> I'm another don't-use-ketchup-much person. What is a toasted western
>> sandwich?
>>

> A western omelette...... between two pieces of toast.

Ah, thanks. Not something I'd have thought of.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/03/2013 12:00 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I use it a lot on burgers. Every once in a while, I get on a ketchup
> kick and put it on everything. Scrambled eggs, breakfast sausage, even
> mix a little with the sour cram on cucumber salad. Friend of mine
> puts it on peanut butter on crackers. Not bad, really.

When I was a kid I used it a lot more than I do now. Not only did my
taste chance, but I think ketchup did do. It tends to be bland and
runny. I figured that one of the reasons they switched to the bottles
that you store upside down is because they don't want you to invert the
bottle and see how fast it slops down to the other end. It is the
opposite of the promotions of the 1970s with Carly Simon's song
"Anticipation", and variations of racy jokes. At Christmas my wife
gave me some organic ketchup that she got at out corner bakery coffee
shop. I will give it a try when I get through the current jar of Heinz,
and that will take months. Lately, when eating the things on which I
usually have ketchup, I have been using curry ketchup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/03/2013 8:49 AM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> I'm another don't-use-ketchup-much person. What is a toasted western
>>> sandwich?
>>>

>> A western omelette...... between two pieces of toast.
>>

> Ah, thanks. Not something I'd have thought of.

They're pretty good, and I don't even like omelettes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 08:43:05 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 10/03/2013 7:50 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>>> I forgot... there are two other things I have it on. One is bacon
>>> sandwiches. The other is toasted western sandwiches, but I have not had
>>> one of those in years.

>> I'm another don't-use-ketchup-much person. What is a toasted western
>> sandwich?
>>

>A western omelette...... between two pieces of toast.

You should have written _A Western Omelet Sandwhich On Toast_.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/03/2013 10:18 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 08:43:05 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>>> I'm another don't-use-ketchup-much person. What is a toasted western
>>> sandwich?
>>>

>> A western omelette...... between two pieces of toast.

> You should have written _A Western Omelet Sandwhich On Toast_.

Why?? The only ate them in restaurants and asking for a "toasted
western" never failed to get me what I had ordered.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 08:57:03 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 10/03/2013 12:00 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> I use it a lot on burgers. Every once in a while, I get on a ketchup
>> kick and put it on everything. Scrambled eggs, breakfast sausage, even
>> mix a little with the sour cram on cucumber salad. Friend of mine
>> puts it on peanut butter on crackers. Not bad, really.
>>

>When I was a kid I used it a lot more than I do now. Not only did my
>taste chance, but I think ketchup did do. It tends to be bland and
>runny. I figured that one of the reasons they switched to the bottles
>that you store upside down is because they don't want you to invert the
>bottle and see how fast it slops down to the other end.

Actually the advent of those bottles one stands on its head began with
the introduction of molded plastic containers... folks used to stand
glass ketchup bottles on their head to get out the last too but it was
precarious and sloppy when the cap was unscrewed. There are many
products nowadays that are in those same kind of plastic bottles.
However I'm not too fond of that type of bottle with mustard, they
thinned the mustard quite a bit so it would flow... I can no longer
find my Guldens Spicy Brown in its old style jar, now it's in those
plastic bottles one stores inverted, the product is about half the
original thickness... it's cheating I tell you.

Restaurants used to stand all their partially used ketchup bottles on
their head each night after closing and next morning before opening
poured each into fewer bottles... there were even special racks for
that purpose. But now it's against the health codes to transfer foods
that way and restaurants can get a hefty fine when caught. But
nowadays ketchup is formulated much thinner for restaurant pack
bottles (Heinz still produces 14 ounce glass bottles for restaurant
use), if one looks the label will say "For Restaurant Use - No
Refill".

There are many products I stand on their head to extract the last
dregs, especially liquid soaps of all types... I stand my vodka bottle
upside down for about 20 minutes and I can get another half ounce.
For those who change their own motor oil they'd be amazed how much oil
they toss in the trash with those quart bottles by not letting each
one drain. I drain my olive oil bottles over night. One of the
handiest kitchen gizmos I have is a set of various sized funnels, some
I've made by cutting off the tops of plastic bottles.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

>On 10/03/2013 8:49 AM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> A western omelette...... between two pieces of toast.
>>>

>> Ah, thanks. Not something I'd have thought of.

>They're pretty good, and I don't even like omelettes.

It seems there are a lot of common foods you don't like, Dave Bove!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 10, 5:57*am, Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 10/03/2013 12:00 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
> > I use it a lot on burgers. *Every once in a while, I get on a ketchup
> > kick and put it on everything. Scrambled eggs, breakfast sausage, even
> > mix a little with the sour cram on cucumber salad. *Friend of mine
> > puts it on peanut butter on crackers. *Not bad, really.

> When I was a kid I used it a lot more than I do now. Not only did my
> taste chance, but I think ketchup did do. It tends to be bland and
> runny.

The product formerly known as Brooks Tangy Catsup, made in
Collinsville, Illinois, http://www.villageprofile.com/illino.../02b_topic.jpg
now says it's made in Canada. Perhaps it's available in your country?
(Look for Brooks Ketchup)

>*I figured that one of the reasons they switched to the bottles
> that you store upside down is because they don't want you to invert the
> bottle and see how fast it slops down to the other end. It is the
> opposite of the promotions of the 1970s with Carly Simon's song
> "Anticipation", and variations of *racy jokes. *At Christmas my wife
> gave me some organic ketchup that she got at out corner bakery coffee
> shop. I will give it a try when I get through the current jar of Heinz,
> and that will take months. *Lately, when eating the things on which I
> usually have ketchup, I have been using curry ketchup.

Health food varieties of ketchup tend to be narsty, in my experience.
And Heinz seems just as thixotropic as it ever was.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/03/2013 11:43 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>>> Ah, thanks. Not something I'd have thought of.

>> They're pretty good, and I don't even like omelettes.

> It seems there are a lot of common foods you don't like, Dave Bove!

I have no qualms about omelettes not being my favourite egg dish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Eggs..... was ... Louis' Lunch

On 10/03/2013 12:31 PM, jay wrote:
> In article >,
> Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>> They're pretty good, and I don't even like omelettes.

> Omelets aren't my favorite breakfast kinda eggs either. I usually have
> 'em huevos rancheros style with bacon and a spelt (if available)
> tortilla. Next choice is sunny side up, then over easy. I also like
> poached. Scrambled for me is the least interesting of all other prep
> methods.

My top choice would be poached. The next best would be what I just had
for brunch..... scrambled with spinach and hot sauce. That would be
followed by soft boiled, sunnyside up, over easy. Omelettes tend to be a
little browned and that is just too cooked for me. I have never tried
baked eggs, but I should some time.