Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The food programme bbc

The current one is from South Carolina and Louisiana and I am hearing all
about southern food A Brit is talking to them about their food and
tasting it Sounds wonderful

If I can find the programme on the BBC 'Listen Again' facility, I will post
it if you are interested in our take on it. The interviewer is mighty
impressed)
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default US Southern Cooking BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r09t0

US Southern Cooking and Chef Sean Brock Johnson is in South Carolina to
meet Charleston chef, Sean Brock, who is on a mission to revive ingredients
and flavours not experienced for hundreds of years.
It's a story that involves an intricate "food tattoo", one of America's
biggest private seed collections, a hog roast and "pick picking" and bowls
of delicious peas, beans, rice, grits and fried chicken.
Soon after British settlers arrived in South Carolina in the 17th
century a cuisine called the "Carolina rice kitchen" was formed. Using the
expertise of West African slaves to develop rice plantations, a larder
evolved consisting of the main crop along with beans, African vegetables and
staples like oats, rye and wheat from Britain.
Chef Sean Brock believes it was one of the earliest, and "most
beautiful" food cultures in America. In his mid-thirties and sporting an arm
covered in tattoos of heirloom vegetables, he's attempting to "reboot" that
cuisine and those ingredients which had all disappeared by the 20th century.
He's joined forces with historian David Shields and a seed hunter, Glenn
Roberts, to source, grow and cook with these historic foods.
Richard joins Sean Brock at his restaurant, Husk to hear why "ridiculous
flavour" is the driving force behind the mission.

Fascinating stuff)

"--
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 15:58:22 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> The current one is from South Carolina and Louisiana and I am hearing all
> about southern food A Brit is talking to them about their food and
> tasting it Sounds wonderful
>
> If I can find the programme on the BBC 'Listen Again' facility, I will post
> it if you are interested in our take on it. The interviewer is mighty
> impressed)
> --

Sounds like an interesting show, please post if you ever find it. Do
you think we'd be able to access it if we don't show the BBC a British
IP address? Maybe it's on YouTube.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 15:58:22 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>> The current one is from South Carolina and Louisiana and I am hearing all
>> about southern food A Brit is talking to them about their food and
>> tasting it Sounds wonderful
>>
>> If I can find the programme on the BBC 'Listen Again' facility, I will
>> post
>> it if you are interested in our take on it. The interviewer is mighty
>> impressed)
>> --

> Sounds like an interesting show, please post if you ever find it. Do
> you think we'd be able to access it if we don't show the BBC a British
> IP address? Maybe it's on YouTube.

Sorry I changed the subject line.

"US Southern Cooking BBC" All I can say is, try it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r09t0
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default US Southern Cooking BBC (was The food programme bbc)

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r09t0
>
> US Southern Cooking and Chef Sean Brock Johnson is in South Carolina to
> meet Charleston chef, Sean Brock, who is on a mission to revive
> ingredients and flavours not experienced for hundreds of years.
> It's a story that involves an intricate "food tattoo", one of America's
> biggest private seed collections, a hog roast and "pick picking" and bowls
> of delicious peas, beans, rice, grits and fried chicken.
> Soon after British settlers arrived in South Carolina in the 17th
> century a cuisine called the "Carolina rice kitchen" was formed. Using the
> expertise of West African slaves to develop rice plantations, a larder
> evolved consisting of the main crop along with beans, African vegetables
> and staples like oats, rye and wheat from Britain.
> Chef Sean Brock believes it was one of the earliest, and "most
> beautiful" food cultures in America. In his mid-thirties and sporting an
> arm covered in tattoos of heirloom vegetables, he's attempting to "reboot"
> that cuisine and those ingredients which had all disappeared by the 20th
> century.
> He's joined forces with historian David Shields and a seed hunter,
> Glenn Roberts, to source, grow and cook with these historic foods.
> Richard joins Sean Brock at his restaurant, Husk to hear why
> "ridiculous flavour" is the driving force behind the mission.
>
> Fascinating stuff)
>
> "--
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 16:48:48 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r09t0
>
> US Southern Cooking and Chef Sean Brock Johnson is in South Carolina to
> meet Charleston chef, Sean Brock, who is on a mission to revive ingredients
> and flavours not experienced for hundreds of years.

Thanks! I learned something: sorghum was the sugar of the South.
I've never eaten it, not sure if I've even seen it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/4/2013 11:48 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r09t0
>
> US Southern Cooking and Chef Sean Brock Johnson is in South Carolina
> to meet Charleston chef, Sean Brock, who is on a mission to revive
> ingredients and flavours not experienced for hundreds of years.
> It's a story that involves an intricate "food tattoo", one of
> America's biggest private seed collections, a hog roast and "pick
> picking" and bowls of delicious peas, beans, rice, grits and fried chicken.
> Soon after British settlers arrived in South Carolina in the 17th
> century a cuisine called the "Carolina rice kitchen" was formed. Using
> the expertise of West African slaves to develop rice plantations, a
> larder evolved consisting of the main crop along with beans, African
> vegetables and staples like oats, rye and wheat from Britain.
> Chef Sean Brock believes it was one of the earliest, and "most
> beautiful" food cultures in America. In his mid-thirties and sporting an
> arm covered in tattoos of heirloom vegetables, he's attempting to
> "reboot" that cuisine and those ingredients which had all disappeared by
> the 20th century.
> He's joined forces with historian David Shields and a seed hunter,
> Glenn Roberts, to source, grow and cook with these historic foods.
> Richard joins Sean Brock at his restaurant, Husk to hear why
> "ridiculous flavour" is the driving force behind the mission.
>
> Fascinating stuff)
>
> "--

The great thing about the US is it is so large and so diverse. The
country is truly a melting pot of people and food cultures. I've lived
in many places in the US. But I've I have spent most of my adult life
in the south. First in the mid-south. Now in the deep-south. (Yes,
there is a difference.)

Rice is a primary product of the Carolinas and is used in many dishes.
The wetlands make it a perfect environment for growing rice. And yes, I
live on an island that was at one time a rice and indigo plantation.
This was in the late 1700's. Descendents of West African slaves still
live in this area. They have their own unique culture, known as
"Gullah" or "Geechee" (depending upon who you ask). They have a very
distinct dialect. (I'm good with dialects but I still have to listen
carefully to know what they're saying.) They also have a very rich and
historical food culture. It hasn't disappeared, you just have to know
where to look.

Enjoy the series! Sounds like fun!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 22:04:26 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 15:58:22 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> The current one is from South Carolina and Louisiana and I am hearing all
> >> about southern food A Brit is talking to them about their food and
> >> tasting it Sounds wonderful
> >>
> >> If I can find the programme on the BBC 'Listen Again' facility, I will
> >> post
> >> it if you are interested in our take on it. The interviewer is mighty
> >> impressed)
> >> --

> > Sounds like an interesting show, please post if you ever find it. Do
> > you think we'd be able to access it if we don't show the BBC a British
> > IP address? Maybe it's on YouTube.

> Sorry I changed the subject line.
>
> "US Southern Cooking BBC" All I can say is, try it.
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r09t0
> --

It's a radio program - no video. I was able to listen and replied
when I found your other post. Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 04 Mar 2013 14:31:16 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 16:48:48 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r09t0
>>
>> US Southern Cooking and Chef Sean Brock Johnson is in South Carolina to
>> meet Charleston chef, Sean Brock, who is on a mission to revive ingredients
>> and flavours not experienced for hundreds of years.

>Thanks! I learned something: sorghum was the sugar of the South.
>I've never eaten it, not sure if I've even seen it.

I used to see it in the grocery store next to the molasses, but that
was probably before we moved out west. I've never tried it.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 4, 4:31*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 16:48:48 -0000, "Ophelia"
>
> > wrote:
> >http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r09t0

> > * *US Southern Cooking and Chef Sean Brock Johnson is in South Carolina to
> > meet Charleston chef, Sean Brock, who is on a mission to revive ingredients
> > and flavours not experienced for hundreds of years.

> Thanks! *I learned something: sorghum was the sugar of the South.
> I've never eaten it, not sure if I've even seen it.
>
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

We have sorghum here in farm country...with various local sources. I
love it ... Can find it in any supermarket. Look by the syrup and
molasses.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 4, 5:54*pm, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Mar 2013 14:31:16 -0800, sf > wrote:
> >On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 16:48:48 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:

> >>http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r09t0

> >> * *US Southern Cooking and Chef Sean Brock Johnson is in South Carolina to
> >> meet Charleston chef, Sean Brock, who is on a mission to revive ingredients
> >> and flavours not experienced for hundreds of years.

> >Thanks! *I learned something: sorghum was the sugar of the South.
> >I've never eaten it, not sure if I've even seen it.

> I used to see it in the grocery store next to the molasses, but that
> was probably before we moved out west. *I've never tried it.
> Janet US

Try it on waffles or pancakes. We also eat it on hot cornbread, split
horizontally and spread generously with butter.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 4, 4:31*pm, sf > wrote:

> Thanks! *I learned something: sorghum was the sugar of the South.
> I've never eaten it, not sure if I've even seen it.

My grandfather raised it for his mules. He'd cut a stalk for us kids
to eat and it was delicious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 18:33:10 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Mar 4, 4:31*pm, sf > wrote:
>>

>> Thanks! *I learned something: sorghum was the sugar of the South.
>> I've never eaten it, not sure if I've even seen it.
>>

>My grandfather raised it for his mules. He'd cut a stalk for us kids
>to eat and it was delicious.

I had to look it up. I'd never considered it as a growing plant
before. After looking at the pictures, I know that I have never seen
it grown in any fields that I have passed. What an interesting plant.
I had no idea that it could be used as a grain and a flour.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 18:22:30 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> wrote:

> We have sorghum here in farm country...with various local sources. I
> love it ... Can find it in any supermarket. Look by the syrup and
> molasses.

I'll look if I think about it next time I'm at the grocery store.
What else is it used for? I can't imagine it as a sugar substitute.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r09t0
>> --

> It's a radio program - no video. I was able to listen and replied
> when I found your other post. Thanks.

YW. Yes of course it was a Radio programme It was advertised as being on
Radio 4 did it not? I am surprised that you were surprised
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 5 Mar 2013 14:37:42 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
>
> >> http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r09t0
> >> --

> > It's a radio program - no video. I was able to listen and replied
> > when I found your other post. Thanks.

> YW. Yes of course it was a Radio programme It was advertised as being on
> Radio 4 did it not? I am surprised that you were surprised
> --

I was surprised that BBC let us into their site period. I've had
trouble following direct links to recipes posted in the other ng and
have been wondering if it's due to not having a UK IP.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> I was surprised that BBC let us into their site period. I've had
> trouble following direct links to recipes posted in the other ng and
> have been wondering if it's due to not having a UK IP.

Given that you were able to access it, if you log into

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/programmes/a-z

you can find all the other food progs, as well as anything else that takes
your fancy Have a look around. Radio 4 is my listening of choice and the
one I have on I always have on while I am cooking
Enjoy
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 5 Mar 2013 16:45:34 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>

> "sf" > wrote in message
>
> > I was surprised that BBC let us into their site period. I've had
> > trouble following direct links to recipes posted in the other ng and
> > have been wondering if it's due to not having a UK IP.

> Given that you were able to access it, if you log into
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/programmes/a-z
>
> you can find all the other food progs, as well as anything else that takes
> your fancy Have a look around. Radio 4 is my listening of choice and the
> one I have on I always have on while I am cooking
> Enjoy
> --

Ophelia, I've always wanted to ask... do you watch movies that use
American accents with the subtitles turned on so you don't have to
replay a line to figure out what the heck they just said? I find
myself wanting to hit the rewind button and feeling frustrated because
I didn't understand a key word or two (said with an accent) when I'm
in the car listening to talk radio. I can understand heavy Chinese
and Spanish accents pretty well if I can see their faces when they're
speaking - but British, Aussie (which has more to do with the slang
than the accent) and French accents throw me for a loop.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> Ophelia, I've always wanted to ask... do you watch movies that use
> American accents with the subtitles turned on so you don't have to
> replay a line to figure out what the heck they just said?

lol I never have. Can't say I have ever felt the need

I find
> myself wanting to hit the rewind button and feeling frustrated because
> I didn't understand a key word or two (said with an accent) when I'm
> in the car listening to talk radio. I can understand heavy Chinese
> and Spanish accents pretty well if I can see their faces when they're
> speaking - but British, Aussie (which has more to do with the slang
> than the accent) and French accents throw me for a loop.

I can understand you might need to do that with some UK stuff if it is
regional, although you won't find much of that on Radio4.
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> I didn't understand a key word or two (said with an accent) when I'm
> in the car listening to talk radio. I can understand heavy Chinese
> and Spanish accents pretty well if I can see their faces when they're
> speaking - but British, Aussie (which has more to do with the slang
> than the accent) and French accents throw me for a loop.

I couldn't understand Downton Abbey and with no captions, I just deleted all
of it.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/5/2013 12:36 PM, sf wrote:

> Ophelia, I've always wanted to ask... do you watch movies that use
> American accents with the subtitles turned on so you don't have to
> replay a line to figure out what the heck they just said? I find
> myself wanting to hit the rewind button and feeling frustrated because
> I didn't understand a key word or two (said with an accent) when I'm
> in the car listening to talk radio. I can understand heavy Chinese
> and Spanish accents pretty well if I can see their faces when they're
> speaking - but British, Aussie (which has more to do with the slang
> than the accent) and French accents throw me for a loop.

That's funny. I have to rewind often when I watch shows like
Ripper Street or Luther, etc. Not so much Downton Abbey. And
I do have the sound up higher than usual, too.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/4/2013 9:31 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> I had to look it up. I'd never considered it as a growing plant
> before. After looking at the pictures, I know that I have never seen
> it grown in any fields that I have passed. What an interesting plant.
> I had no idea that it could be used as a grain and a flour.
> Janet US

You can see sorghum growing on farms in south Texas, Louisiana, Alabama,
Mississippi, Florida. It resembles corn in appearance, until you look
at the top, then you know it is not corn.

My mother loves sorghum, so that was all we had; it reminds me of honey
and molasses. I didn't taste Mrs. Butterworth's until I was at a slumber
party and we had French toast for breakfast. I did not taste real maple
syrup until was an adult, as far as I can remember.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 5 Mar 2013 17:55:46 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> I can understand you might need to do that with some UK stuff if it is
> regional, although you won't find much of that on Radio4.

Thanks!

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophelia[_9_] View Post
The current one is from South Carolina and Louisiana and I am hearing all
about southern food A Brit is talking to them about their food and
tasting it Sounds wonderful

If I can find the programme on the BBC 'Listen Again' facility, I will post
it if you are interested in our take on it. The interviewer is mighty
impressed)
Help for Heroes
Why not save a bunch of Limey nonsense..and tell us what kinda Southern Thing which is in your current span of interest? You liable to get it straight from some hosses mouths..lol.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/5/2013 12:20 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

> That's funny. I have to rewind often when I watch shows like
> Ripper Street or Luther, etc. Not so much Downton Abbey. And
> I do have the sound up higher than usual, too.
>
> nancy

Ripper Street is a good show, something about it reminds me of Copper,
which is set in the 1860's, in New York. Everybody on that show has an
accent of some sort.

My ex-husband hated calling me at work, because everybody spoke with an
accent (the real problem was probably his hearing). The receptionist was
from Scotland, but if she was busy, others would answer the phone, they
were from Mexico City, Vietnam, Cambodia, England and Tulsa.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ema Nymton wrote:

> Ripper Street is a good show, something about it reminds me of Copper,

Except Ripper isn't nearly as awful as Copper.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/5/2013 5:19 PM, Ema Nymton wrote:
> On 3/5/2013 12:20 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> That's funny. I have to rewind often when I watch shows like
>> Ripper Street or Luther, etc. Not so much Downton Abbey. And
>> I do have the sound up higher than usual, too.

> Ripper Street is a good show, something about it reminds me of Copper,
> which is set in the 1860's, in New York. Everybody on that show has an
> accent of some sort.

You know, I really tried to like Copper, but after a few episodes,
I still couldn't get into it. And it was so dark, turn on some
lights! (laugh)

> My ex-husband hated calling me at work, because everybody spoke with an
> accent (the real problem was probably his hearing). The receptionist was
> from Scotland, but if she was busy, others would answer the phone, they
> were from Mexico City, Vietnam, Cambodia, England and Tulsa.

All the languages have a rhythm of their own. If you're not used to
it, it takes a second to get what they're saying. I think I wouldn't
have a problem with the person from Tulsa, but you never know.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/5/2013 5:19 PM, Ema Nymton wrote:
> On 3/5/2013 12:20 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> That's funny. I have to rewind often when I watch shows like
>> Ripper Street or Luther, etc. Not so much Downton Abbey. And
>> I do have the sound up higher than usual, too.
>>
>> nancy

> Ripper Street is a good show, something about it reminds me of Copper,
> which is set in the 1860's, in New York. Everybody on that show has an
> accent of some sort.
>
> My ex-husband hated calling me at work, because everybody spoke with an
> accent (the real problem was probably his hearing). The receptionist was
> from Scotland, but if she was busy, others would answer the phone, they
> were from Mexico City, Vietnam, Cambodia, England and Tulsa.
>
> Becca

I work with a melting pot of people from pretty much everywhere. My
manager is Russian, most of my direct co-workers are from India, and
even one of the other managers is from Kentucky. We have a large Asian
population at work, too, but I find the hardest accents to understand
are Chinese and Russian. Then again, there's an IT guy I used to follow
some of his presentations online, and on the phone and he is from Quebec
with a very strong French accent and I can barely understand a thing he
says. I would get so stuck on certain words trying to figure out what
he just said that I'd miss so much of what followed that word.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 17:48:37 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 3/5/2013 1:24 PM, Janet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > says...
> >
> > I've always wanted to ask... do you watch movies that use
> >> American accents with the subtitles turned on so you don't have to
> >> replay a line to figure out what the heck they just said?

> > Never needed to. I've never quite understood why so many Americans
> > say they have problems with foreign accents when you've got such a
> > wide range of accents and dialects at home.
> >
> > Janet UK.
> >

> I'm with you there, Janet! Maybe it's because I've lived in a lot of
> places but I have very little problem understanding someone speaking in
> a "foreign" accent. Also no problem with most dialects. I suppose it
> makes a difference if you haven't had much exposure to people in (or
> from) different places.
>
> I *did* have to listen extra closely to understand some of the
> decendents of the West Indian slaves when I first visited my parents
> here in South Carolina. They are known as Gullah and speak with a very
> distinct dialect. Now no problem.
>
> Gullah is also a cuisine. It involves lots of rice, local vegetables,
> fresh fish and seafood. And they make their own sausage, but you'll be
> hard pressed to find it in any store.

Some people pick up accents quickly, I don't. My son would have made
a good undercover agent because he can mimic perfectly. I can't do
that either. Nor do I want to.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 3/5/2013 5:19 PM, Ema Nymton wrote:
>> On 3/5/2013 12:20 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>>> That's funny. I have to rewind often when I watch shows like
>>> Ripper Street or Luther, etc. Not so much Downton Abbey. And
>>> I do have the sound up higher than usual, too.
>>>
>>> nancy

>> Ripper Street is a good show, something about it reminds me of Copper,
>> which is set in the 1860's, in New York. Everybody on that show has an
>> accent of some sort.
>>
>> My ex-husband hated calling me at work, because everybody spoke with an
>> accent (the real problem was probably his hearing). The receptionist was
>> from Scotland, but if she was busy, others would answer the phone, they
>> were from Mexico City, Vietnam, Cambodia, England and Tulsa.
>>
>> Becca
>>

> I work with a melting pot of people from pretty much everywhere. My
> manager is Russian, most of my direct co-workers are from India, and even
> one of the other managers is from Kentucky. We have a large Asian
> population at work, too, but I find the hardest accents to understand are
> Chinese and Russian. Then again, there's an IT guy I used to follow some
> of his presentations online, and on the phone and he is from Quebec with a
> very strong French accent and I can barely understand a thing he says. I
> would get so stuck on certain words trying to figure out what he just said
> that I'd miss so much of what followed that word.

I used to live in India and they actually speak better English than most
Brits. You just have to get used to the rhythm of their speech

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/6/2013 4:20 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> I used to live in India and they actually speak better English than most
> Brits. You just have to get used to the rhythm of their speech

True - once you 'get' the rhythm, it's much easier to understand a given
accent/dialect/language.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/6/2013 3:35 AM, sf wrote:
>> I*did* have to listen extra closely to understand some of the
>> >decendents of the West Indian slaves when I first visited my parents
>> >here in South Carolina. They are known as Gullah and speak with a very
>> >distinct dialect. Now no problem.
>> >
>> >Gullah is also a cuisine. It involves lots of rice, local vegetables,
>> >fresh fish and seafood. And they make their own sausage, but you'll be
>> >hard pressed to find it in any store.
>> >

> Some people pick up accents quickly, I don't. My son would have made
> a good undercover agent because he can mimic perfectly. I can't do
> that either. Nor do I want to.

I guess I'm fortunate in that I can pick up and understand most accents
quickly. And yes, I'm good at mimicry. Sometimes if I'm around someone
long enough I find myself *unconsciously* mimicking their speech
patterns. John laughs when, in the middle of a conversation about a
movie or TV show, I purposefully change my voice and start talking like
the character. I can mimic some vocal artists, too. It's a gift, of sorts.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 16:19:33 -0600, Ema Nymton >
wrote:

> My ex-husband hated calling me at work, because everybody spoke with an
> accent (the real problem was probably his hearing). The receptionist was
> from Scotland, but if she was busy, others would answer the phone, they
> were from Mexico City, Vietnam, Cambodia, England and Tulsa.

I totally understand where he was coming from. There are people that
I can have a good conversation with face to face, but find it
impossible to talk over the phone to. My ex-next door neighbor is one
of them. She is from Nicaragua, came to the states in her early 20's
and was married to an American for over 50 years. Now that she's in
an independent care facility, I'd love to pick up the phone and chat
with her more often - but she sounds like an FOB over the phone and it
makes my brain hurt trying to understand her. Same with the Hungarian
I mentioned earlier. I can't understand him over the phone. It has
nothing to do with my hearing, I can hear just fine - but I need the
same facial and body cues that people with bad hearing need to cut
through their accents.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 06/03/2013 10:54 AM, sf wrote:

> I totally understand where he was coming from. There are people that
> I can have a good conversation with face to face, but find it
> impossible to talk over the phone to. My ex-next door neighbor is one
> of them. She is from Nicaragua, came to the states in her early 20's
> and was married to an American for over 50 years.

She sounds like my neighbours. There is a couple next door to us and her
parents bought the next house down the road. They have 4 or 5 houses and
only spend 1-2 months here each year. I can hardly understand them.
They have very strong Italian accents and limited English vocabulary.
They sound like they just got off the boat. I was surprised to hear that
they came to immigrated here in 1951, so they have been here more than
60 years, at least twice as long as they lived in Italy.

One of my worst telephone accent encounters was when I had a call from
someone in our head office about my expense account. She was Chinese. I
simply could not understand what she was trying to tell me.

Then there was my ISP tech support.... from Mumbai most likely. I had to
have him repeat everything four times. At one point he was telling me to
click on "the castle". I was looking all over the screen for an icon
that looked like a castle... something with stone motif and turrets. I
questioned him about it, told him I didn't see a castle. No no no sir...
you should see castle. It turned out that he wanted me to click on
"Cancel". Yes sir...Castle. ;-(

Now that she's in
> an independent care facility, I'd love to pick up the phone and chat
> with her more often - but she sounds like an FOB over the phone and it
> makes my brain hurt trying to understand her. Same with the Hungarian
> I mentioned earlier. I can't understand him over the phone. It has
> nothing to do with my hearing, I can hear just fine - but I need the
> same facial and body cues that people with bad hearing need to cut
> through their accents.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 11:04:09 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 06/03/2013 10:54 AM, sf wrote:
>

> > I totally understand where he was coming from. There are people that
> > I can have a good conversation with face to face, but find it
> > impossible to talk over the phone to. My ex-next door neighbor is one
> > of them. She is from Nicaragua, came to the states in her early 20's
> > and was married to an American for over 50 years.

> She sounds like my neighbours. There is a couple next door to us and her
> parents bought the next house down the road. They have 4 or 5 houses and
> only spend 1-2 months here each year. I can hardly understand them.
> They have very strong Italian accents and limited English vocabulary.
> They sound like they just got off the boat. I was surprised to hear that
> they came to immigrated here in 1951, so they have been here more than
> 60 years, at least twice as long as they lived in Italy.
>
> One of my worst telephone accent encounters was when I had a call from
> someone in our head office about my expense account. She was Chinese. I
> simply could not understand what she was trying to tell me.
>
> Then there was my ISP tech support.... from Mumbai most likely. I had to
> have him repeat everything four times. At one point he was telling me to
> click on "the castle". I was looking all over the screen for an icon
> that looked like a castle... something with stone motif and turrets. I
> questioned him about it, told him I didn't see a castle. No no no sir...
> you should see castle. It turned out that he wanted me to click on
> "Cancel". Yes sir...Castle. ;-(

YES - and you can tell immediately how far up the customer service
ladder you've been bumped by how understandable their accents are.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ema Nymton wrote:

> My ex-husband hated calling me at work, because everybody spoke with an
> accent (the real problem was probably his hearing). The receptionist was
> from Scotland, but if she was busy, others would answer the phone, they
> were from Mexico City, Vietnam, Cambodia, England and Tulsa.

One of the checkers at the Trader Joe's where
I shop every day has just enough of an accent
to make it hard for me to understand everything
she says. For a while, I was wondering whether
I was losing my hearing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

> One of the checkers at the Trader Joe's where
> I shop every day has just enough of an accent
> to make it hard for me to understand everything
> she says. For a while, I was wondering whether
> I was losing my hearing.

One of the cashiers at my TJ's ends every transaction with "Have a blessed
day." I hate that.