Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

Default Zero calorie gluten free carb free noodles?

Shirataki noodles are in little bags of liquid in the natural foods
section of my store-they look and feel slimy thru the bag lol. I can't
make myself buy them.

I have however tried the other alternative which is spaghetti squash
strands with spaghetti sauce-not great but ok.

IMO it would be best to just eat a small serving of angel hair/ramen
pasta on an overall lowcarb day and bulk up whatever sauce you use. Boil
the pasta and rinse/drain well to lower the starting starch content.

1 package of generic american grocery store ramen noodles (no eggs...)
which is a big serving is 50 net carbs. So while it blows your entire
daily net carb allowance in one meal, if you add chopped up steak and
scrambled eggs to it, suddenly you have 2 meals of 25 net carbs. Keep
thinning with mushrooms/veggies and the carb count per meal goes even
lower. Not something you need to eat every day but a nice meal each
week. I've never worried about individual spikes in blood sugar, its
more worrisome when you maintain over time a running high blood sugar
count without any let up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/28/2013 5:02 PM, z z wrote:
> Shirataki noodles are in little bags of liquid in the natural foods
> section of my store-they look and feel slimy thru the bag lol. I can't
> make myself buy them.

It's certainly some funky stuff alright. My mom used to buy sukiyaki no
tomo which has these noodles and bamboo shoots and mushrooms in a
convent can form. I've shunned that stuff my whole life but the noodles
were a fad for Asians who wanted to eat a bunch of food-like material
without gaining weight. Sukiyaki no tomo would be a great diet food
because an entire can has hardly any calories or carbs or fat or
anything. It's a whole can of nothing that's kind of filling. Some
people might even find it tasty.

> I have however tried the other alternative which is spaghetti squash
> strands with spaghetti sauce-not great but ok.
>
> IMO it would be best to just eat a small serving of angel hair/ramen
> pasta on an overall lowcarb day and bulk up whatever sauce you use. Boil
> the pasta and rinse/drain well to lower the starting starch content.
>
> 1 package of generic american grocery store ramen noodles (no eggs...)
> which is a big serving is 50 net carbs. So while it blows your entire
> daily net carb allowance in one meal, if you add chopped up steak and
> scrambled eggs to it, suddenly you have 2 meals of 25 net carbs. Keep
> thinning with mushrooms/veggies and the carb count per meal goes even
> lower. Not something you need to eat every day but a nice meal each
> week. I've never worried about individual spikes in blood sugar, its
> more worrisome when you maintain over time a running high blood sugar
> count without any let up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 28, 2013 9:02:46 PM UTC-6, z z wrote:
> Shirataki noodles are in little bags of liquid in the natural foods
>
> section of my store-they look and feel slimy thru the bag lol. I can't
>
> make myself buy them.
>

> I have however tried the other alternative which is spaghetti squash
>
> strands with spaghetti sauce-not great but ok.

I substitute sliced bell peppers.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:

> On Thursday, February 28, 2013 9:02:46 PM UTC-6, z z wrote:
> > I have however tried the other alternative which is spaghetti squash
> > strands with spaghetti sauce-not great but ok.
> >

> I substitute sliced bell peppers.

Really? heheh

G.