Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Anheuser-Busch

Apparently they are being sued for watering down their beers.
My question is: How would anyone be able to tell?
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 07:58:52 -0700, "graham" > wrote:

> Apparently they are being sued for watering down their beers.
> My question is: How would anyone be able to tell?
> Graham

I heard the tease a couple of times, but missed the news story.
That's just another reason why beer is so bad here. I guess in this
day and age of "lite" beer swill, they thought they could get away
with it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27/02/2013 9:58 AM, graham wrote:
> Apparently they are being sued for watering down their beers.
> My question is: How would anyone be able to tell?
> Graham

That's an odd story. The reports I read indicate that the suit is based
on what some people claim that former AB employees told them about the
beer being watered down. AB OTOH, claims to have sensitive and reliable
equipment that tests the product for it's alcohol content and adds water
to dilute it if it is too high. I didn't see any comments about the
products tasting weaker or people not drinking it anymore. One of the
reasons I don't like American beer is that it is all weak. The mass
produced American beer is really weak bland stuff. Yet, people continue
to drink it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-02-27, graham > wrote:

> My question is: How would anyone be able to tell?

heh heh....

OTOH, the trend is rampant among much better beers, also. I've seen
at least a half dozen premium IPAs drop their abv content. Usta be
most were commonly about 7.2 abv. Now, no surprise to see many
dropping to 7.0 or even below to 6.9-6.8 abv. Either the abv drops or
6-paks become 4-paks at little or no price change.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27/02/2013 10:51 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2013-02-27, graham > wrote:
>
>> My question is: How would anyone be able to tell?

> heh heh....
>
> OTOH, the trend is rampant among much better beers, also. I've seen
> at least a half dozen premium IPAs drop their abv content. Usta be
> most were commonly about 7.2 abv. Now, no surprise to see many
> dropping to 7.0 or even below to 6.9-6.8 abv. Either the abv drops or
> 6-paks become 4-paks at little or no price change.

Speaking of IPA.... my son, who ran a microbrewery restaurant for
several years, told me that IPA is a favourite among brewers. Those guys
tend to like that nice hoppy flavour. However, a number of brewers
are known to add a bunch of hops to bad beers to make it more like an
IPA, masking the stuff that put it off in the first place, so what you
sometimes get on tap as an IPA may not really be an IPA but something
else to which hops were added in the hope of salvaging it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27/02/2013 10:37 AM, sf wrote:

> I heard the tease a couple of times, but missed the news story.
> That's just another reason why beer is so bad here. I guess in this
> day and age of "lite" beer swill, they thought they could get away
> with it.

There is some irony to that. Americans seem to like cheap, weak guzzle
beer. Then they try to sue the company for giving them what they gobble
up at the stores and in bars. There are better, more full bodied beers
on the market, but they don't buy them. Go figger.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/27/2013 10:55 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 27/02/2013 10:51 AM, notbob wrote:
>> On 2013-02-27, graham > wrote:
>>
>>> My question is: How would anyone be able to tell?

>> heh heh....
>>
>> OTOH, the trend is rampant among much better beers, also. I've seen
>> at least a half dozen premium IPAs drop their abv content. Usta be
>> most were commonly about 7.2 abv. Now, no surprise to see many
>> dropping to 7.0 or even below to 6.9-6.8 abv. Either the abv drops or
>> 6-paks become 4-paks at little or no price change.
>>

> Speaking of IPA.... my son, who ran a microbrewery restaurant for
> several years, told me that IPA is a favourite among brewers. Those guys
> tend to like that nice hoppy flavour. However, a number of brewers
> are known to add a bunch of hops to bad beers to make it more like an
> IPA, masking the stuff that put it off in the first place, so what you
> sometimes get on tap as an IPA may not really be an IPA but something
> else to which hops were added in the hope of salvaging it.

Well, if adding hops doesn't really work, you probably won't drink that
draft again. Certainly, I've disliked draft beers that waiters have
recommended and try to remember them because other drafts served are
sometimes quite good.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:

> Apparently they are being sued for watering down their beers.
> My question is: How would anyone be able to tell?

duh ... The complaint is about the ***alcohol content*** being watered down.

The most peculiar aspect of the lawsuit is that it's based not on scientific
testing but on anecdotal "evidence" by disgruntled employees.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-02-27, Dave Smith > wrote:

> up at the stores and in bars. There are better, more full bodied beers
> on the market.......

Certainly, none of them Canadian!

C'mon, Dave. Don't try and convince me Molson and Moosehead are
anything other than mega-swill, jes like Bud and Coors.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
> Apparently they are being sued for watering down their beers.
> My question is: How would anyone be able to tell?
> Graham

Probably have always done it. There is a very distinct watery taste to
their product. The rest is just acrid crap. They don't even use rye, they
use rice hulls for fermentables.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:55:12 AM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 27/02/2013 10:51 AM, notbob wrote:
>
> > On 2013-02-27, graham > wrote:

> >> My question is: How would anyone be able to tell?

> > heh heh....

> > OTOH, the trend is rampant among much better beers, also. I've seen

> > at least a half dozen premium IPAs drop their abv content. Usta be

> > most were commonly about 7.2 abv. Now, no surprise to see many

> > dropping to 7.0 or even below to 6.9-6.8 abv. Either the abv drops or

> > 6-paks become 4-paks at little or no price change.

> Speaking of IPA.... my son, who ran a microbrewery restaurant for
>
> several years, told me that IPA is a favourite among brewers. Those guys
>
> tend to like that nice hoppy flavour. However, a number of brewers
>
> are known to add a bunch of hops to bad beers to make it more like an
>
> IPA, masking the stuff that put it off in the first place, so what you
>
> sometimes get on tap as an IPA may not really be an IPA but something
>
> else to which hops were added in the hope of salvaging it.

Pretty much the only time I'd find myself in a brew pub would be out of
town, where I have to go out to eat anyway. I always ask if they make
an American Pale Ale, along the lines of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. IMO,
APAs benefit from being served fresh more than most other styles.

I'm tempted to order this hops extract to see if a drop or two would
greatly improve the flavor of canoe beer.
http://www.hoptech.com/products/pure...e-hop-oil-2-oz
Imagine if for 2-5 cents a can, you could noticeably add some flavor
to the otherwise nearly flavorless. I wasn't just calling it canoe
beer, but beer that we bring in the canoe. You can't bring bottled
beer on the river, which is a good thing, so making canned beer taste
good would rock.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-02-27, Dave Smith > wrote:

> are known to add a bunch of hops to bad beers to make it more like an
> IPA...

You know the ol' saying about Americans. Our working credo is: If a
lot is good, more is better! Yes, we tend to over do it. And there
is certainly a lot of really crappy micro-beer out there. I have two
pizza-microbreweries near me. Neither make an IPA worth spit.

OTOH, other big rep breweries like Dog Fish Head make ultra hoppy
beers to critical acclaim. I have no idea why, as I don't think their
60, 90, and 120 IPAs are worth a damn. They want $12 for a 12oz bottle
fer there 120 IPA! I wouldn't give 120 cents. Yet I LOVE mega hoppy
beers.

A real IPA has two things. At least 5.5% abv (US) and 40 IBU hops rating. There
are scientific reasons for both. I won't go into it, but they both
helped preserve the beer (ale) shipped from Merry Ol' to the Colonies,
primarily India. Hence the name, India Pale Ale. Before the
invention of IPAs, most beer (pale ales) spoiled in the tropical
climate on the long voyages before it could get to the guys in red
bengaling those lances. Bad mojo!

A good IPA has the flavor of a either a citrus fruit like grapefruit
or some other tree fruit. My brewing mentor's best IPA smelled like
carmelized peaches. Speaking of mojo, my current fave IPA is,
co-inkidinkily, Mojo IPA from Boulder Beer.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/130/12322

It's 7.2 abv and smells of grapefruit. Yum!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> A good IPA has the flavor of a either a citrus fruit like grapefruit
> or some other tree fruit. My brewing mentor's best IPA smelled like
> carmelized peaches. Speaking of mojo, my current fave IPA is,
> co-inkidinkily, Mojo IPA from Boulder Beer.
>
> http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/130/12322
>
> It's 7.2 abv and smells of grapefruit. Yum!

My fave is Pliny the Elder, from Russian River. Alas, they recently
stopped distributing it here in WA state.

--
Julian Vrieslander
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10:51:00 AM UTC-6, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> "graham" > wrote in message

> > Apparently they are being sued for watering down their beers.

> > My question is: How would anyone be able to tell?

> > Graham

> Probably have always done it. There is a very distinct watery taste to
>
> their product. The rest is just acrid crap. They don't even use rye, they
>
> use rice hulls for fermentables.

Rye beer is icky, worse than wheat. Rice is essentially flavorless. Barley
tastes good. There is a beer called Schaefer that is made with corn. It
used to be super cheap, but boy it tasted bad.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27/02/2013 11:50 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2013-02-27, Dave Smith > wrote:
>

>> up at the stores and in bars. There are better, more full bodied beers
>> on the market.......

> Certainly, none of them Canadian!
>
> C'mon, Dave. Don't try and convince me Molson and Moosehead are
> anything other than mega-swill, jes like Bud and Coors.

C'mon nb. Where did I say that Canadian beers were better? I know that a
lot of my countrymen pride themselves on our national beverage being
superior to American beer. I usually drink imported beers. The only
domestic beer that I buy regularly is Steamwhistle.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10:50:53 AM UTC-6, notbob wrote:
> On 2013-02-27, Dave Smith > wrote:
>

> > up at the stores and in bars. There are better, more full bodied beers

> > on the market.......

> Certainly, none of them Canadian!
>

> C'mon, Dave. Don't try and convince me Molson and Moosehead are
>
> anything other than mega-swill, jes like Bud and Coors.

Molson *is* Coors.

> nb

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 10:55:12 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> Speaking of IPA.... my son, who ran a microbrewery restaurant for
> several years, told me that IPA is a favourite among brewers. Those guys
> tend to like that nice hoppy flavour. However, a number of brewers
> are known to add a bunch of hops to bad beers to make it more like an
> IPA, masking the stuff that put it off in the first place, so what you
> sometimes get on tap as an IPA may not really be an IPA but something
> else to which hops were added in the hope of salvaging it.

So we have a truth in labeling problem with micro-breweries too?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 12:52:59 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> The only domestic beer that I buy regularly is Steamwhistle.

You've given me something to look for, but I fear my search will be
futile.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 09:52:06 -0800 (PST), Bryan
> wrote:

> Rye beer is icky, worse than wheat. Rice is essentially flavorless. Barley
> tastes good. There is a beer called Schaefer that is made with corn. It
> used to be super cheap, but boy it tasted bad.

I haven't met a wheat beer I didn't like and I like rye, so I'll keep
an eye out for rye beer on tap.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote:
> Apparently they are being sued for watering down their beers.
> My question is: How would anyone be able to tell?
> Graham

Many years ago, one independent testor, tested all beers and gave results.
Bud light was 3.5, yet today they say something like 4 % .

I think you can test using a specific gravity tester.

I don't care, I drink bud light when drinking and driving.

Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 27, 2013 11:14:41 AM UTC-6, notbob wrote:
> On 2013-02-27, Dave Smith > wrote:
>

> > are known to add a bunch of hops to bad beers to make it more like an

> > IPA...

> You know the ol' saying about Americans. Our working credo is: If a
>
> lot is good, more is better! Yes, we tend to over do it. And there
>
> is certainly a lot of really crappy micro-beer out there. I have two
>
> pizza-microbreweries near me. Neither make an IPA worth spit.
>

> OTOH, other big rep breweries like Dog Fish Head make ultra hoppy
>
> beers to critical acclaim. I have no idea why, as I don't think their
>
> 60, 90, and 120 IPAs are worth a damn. They want $12 for a 12oz bottle
>
> fer there 120 IPA! I wouldn't give 120 cents. Yet I LOVE mega hoppy
>
> beers.
>

> A real IPA has two things. At least 5.5% abv (US) and 40 IBU hops rating. There
>
> are scientific reasons for both. I won't go into it, but they both
>
> helped preserve the beer (ale) shipped from Merry Ol' to the Colonies,
>
> primarily India. Hence the name, India Pale Ale. Before the
>
> invention of IPAs, most beer (pale ales) spoiled in the tropical
>
> climate on the long voyages before it could get to the guys in red
>
> bengaling those lances. Bad mojo!
>

> A good IPA has the flavor of a either a citrus fruit like grapefruit
>
> or some other tree fruit. My brewing mentor's best IPA smelled like
>
> carmelized peaches. Speaking of mojo, my current fave IPA is,
>
> co-inkidinkily, Mojo IPA from Boulder Beer.
>

> http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/130/12322
>

> It's 7.2 abv and smells of grapefruit. Yum!

Beer has to really be delicious for me to enjoy 7+ %. A friend bought me a Bell's Two Hearted Ale draft a few days ago. That's 7.0, and was delicious.
This is my standard "good beer."
http://schlafly.com/beers/styles/dry-hopped-apa/
It's quite grapefruity, and also reminds me a bit of this.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._flowering.jpg

> nb

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 27, 7:38*am, Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 27/02/2013 9:58 AM, graham wrote:
>
> > Apparently they are being sued for watering down their beers.
> > My question is: How would anyone be able to tell?
> > Graham

> That's an odd story. The reports I read indicate that the suit is based
> on what some people claim that former AB employees told them about the
> beer being watered down. *AB OTOH, claims to have sensitive and reliable
> equipment that tests the product for it's alcohol content and adds water
> to dilute it if it is too high. *I didn't see any comments about the
> products tasting weaker or people not drinking it anymore. *One of the
> reasons I don't like American beer is that it is all weak. *The mass
> produced American beer is really weak bland stuff. Yet, people continue
> to drink it.

Unless you're drinking 3.2, American beer is no weaker than standard
pilsners brewed anywhere.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 27, 8:50*am, notbob > wrote:
> On 2013-02-27, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
> > up at the stores and in bars. There are better, more full bodied beers
> > on the market.......

> Certainly, none of them Canadian! *
>
> C'mon, Dave. *Don't try and convince me Molson and Moosehead are
> anything other than mega-swill, jes like Bud and Coors.

I used to love Molson Export, but I haven't seen it over here in
years.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/27/2013 1:54 PM, gregz wrote:
> "graham" > wrote:
>> Apparently they are being sued for watering down their beers.
>> My question is: How would anyone be able to tell?
>> Graham

> Many years ago, one independent testor, tested all beers and gave results.
> Bud light was 3.5, yet today they say something like 4 % .
>
> I think you can test using a specific gravity tester.
>
> I don't care, I drink bud light when drinking and driving.
>
> Greg

Regular Bud is OK on a hot day, served cold enough to have ice crystals
floating in it.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 27, 9:32*am, Julian Vrieslander
> wrote:
> In article >,
>
> *notbob > wrote:
> > A good IPA has the flavor of a either a citrus fruit like grapefruit
> > or some other tree fruit. *My brewing mentor's best IPA smelled like
> > carmelized peaches. *Speaking of mojo, my current fave IPA is,
> > co-inkidinkily, Mojo IPA from Boulder Beer.

> >http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/130/12322

> > It's 7.2 abv and smells of grapefruit. *Yum!

> My fave is Pliny the Elder, from Russian River. *Alas, they recently
> stopped distributing it here in WA state.

To my taste it's no better than Firestone Union Jack.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-02-27, Julian Vrieslander > wrote:

> My fave is Pliny the Elder, from Russian River. Alas, they recently
> stopped distributing it here in WA state.

Bummer! You have my deepest sympathy, Julian. PtE is my fave, also.
When I still lived in CA, I usta walk down to our pub and buy a couple
pints on tap. Since I've moved to CO, I gotta drive 150 miles to even
find a bottle.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27/02/2013 2:10 PM, spamtrap1888 wrote:
> On Feb 27, 7:38 am, Dave Smith > wrote:
>> On 27/02/2013 9:58 AM, graham wrote:
>>
>>> Apparently they are being sued for watering down their beers.
>>> My question is: How would anyone be able to tell?
>>> Graham

>> That's an odd story. The reports I read indicate that the suit is based
>> on what some people claim that former AB employees told them about the
>> beer being watered down. AB OTOH, claims to have sensitive and reliable
>> equipment that tests the product for it's alcohol content and adds water
>> to dilute it if it is too high. I didn't see any comments about the
>> products tasting weaker or people not drinking it anymore. One of the
>> reasons I don't like American beer is that it is all weak. The mass
>> produced American beer is really weak bland stuff. Yet, people continue
>> to drink it.

> Unless you're drinking 3.2, American beer is no weaker than standard
> pilsners brewed anywhere.

Weak tasting, not necessarily low alcohol.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/27/2013 12:33 PM, sf wrote:

> You've given me something to look for, but I fear my search will be
> futile.

My search is over, I have never found a beer that I like, it all tastes
bad to me. I guess beer just isn't my thing.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ema Nymton wrote:

>My search is over, I have never found a beer that I like, it all tastes
>bad to me. I guess beer just isn't my thing.

I'm not a big beer drinker either, occasionally I'll have one or two
on a hot summer day after I've worked outdoors all day and need to
cool off... I can chug a couple after washing the tractors before the
skeeters/deerflies chase me indoors. But mostly I use beer for
cooking, for brasing meat and in bread... pizza dough is wonderful
with beer. I'm not much for wine in cooking. I think beer is better
in cooked dishes, even for a bechamel for a mac n' cheese. The only
time I'll cook with wine is if I open the fridge and see that I have
to crawl down to the basement fridge for beer, and I'm too lazy so
I'll grab the box wine from the kitchen cabinet that holds the 2 liter
carbonated beverages... often I'd rather braise in gingerale.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 07:58:52 -0700, "graham" > wrote:

>Apparently they are being sued for watering down their beers.
>My question is: How would anyone be able to tell?
>Graham

I have no idea, they make "making love in a canoe" beer anyway!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 > wrote:
> Ema Nymton wrote:
>>
>> My search is over, I have never found a beer that I like, it all tastes
>> bad to me. I guess beer just isn't my thing.

> I'm not a big beer drinker either, occasionally I'll have one or two
> on a hot summer day after I've worked outdoors all day and need to
> cool off... I can chug a couple after washing the tractors before the
> skeeters/deerflies chase me indoors. But mostly I use beer for
> cooking, for brasing meat and in bread... pizza dough is wonderful
> with beer. I'm not much for wine in cooking. I think beer is better
> in cooked dishes, even for a bechamel for a mac n' cheese. The only
> time I'll cook with wine is if I open the fridge and see that I have
> to crawl down to the basement fridge for beer, and I'm too lazy so
> I'll grab the box wine from the kitchen cabinet that holds the 2 liter
> carbonated beverages... often I'd rather braise in gingerale.

Chugging. Way back in 1969 one of my fellow workers was considered pretty
fast. Might have been world champion. We were living in mass., young punks.
So we were visiting this guy with a couple buddies. We had 12 oz and 16 oz
cans.
I forget what the tops looked like back then. The idea was to open two
holes in top of can on both sides. We had stop watch. 1.5 seconds for 12
oz. 2.5 secs for 16 oz. He claimed he beat long island champ using pitchers
?

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27/02/2013 10:05 PM, graham wrote:
..

> Not as bad as Molson or Labatt about 30 years ago. They announced that they
> were going to brew Lowenbraü under license - but they were altering the
> recipe to suit Canadian tastes!!
> I kid you not! Full page ad!

I think it was Carling that started selling Carslburg, which they were
making under licence from the Danish company. It tasted more like other
Carling brews than like Carlsburg.
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

What a buncha assaholas..they will owe me millions stretching back to eight Grade. I am getting riled up. I can nearly remember when that stuff started to not give such a bad hangover. The Devil's Urine treats folks thataway sometimes. I am immediately moving back to Shiner. Not sure what come over a young skull full of mush to drink yankee beer like that to start with. Im ****ed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham View Post
Apparently they are being sued for watering down their beers.
My question is: How would anyone be able to tell?
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 27/02/2013 10:05 PM, graham wrote:
> .
>>>

>> Not as bad as Molson or Labatt about 30 years ago. They announced that
>> they
>> were going to brew Lowenbraü under license - but they were altering the
>> recipe to suit Canadian tastes!!
>> I kid you not! Full page ad!

> I think it was Carling that started selling Carslburg, which they were
> making under licence from the Danish company. It tasted more like other
> Carling brews than like Carlsburg.

When I immigrated to Canada, I was served a Blue on the Air Canada flight
and I thought it was terrible. I saw Carlsberg in the hotel bar where I
first stayed and it tasted fine. Of course, I thought it was imported. I
learned later that it was brewed locally.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27/02/2013 10:56 PM, graham wrote:

> When I immigrated to Canada, I was served a Blue on the Air Canada flight
> and I thought it was terrible. I saw Carlsberg in the hotel bar where I
> first stayed and it tasted fine. Of course, I thought it was imported. I
> learned later that it was brewed locally.
> Graham

A friend of mine owned a bar for a few years. He told me that he sold
more Blue than all other brands combined.
It puzzles me that so many people who pride themselves in being prolific
beer drinkers tend to go for the least flavourful beers. It seems that
what they prefer is whichever beer they can drink the most of without
getting bloated.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 17:47:58 -0600, Ema Nymton >
wrote:

> On 2/27/2013 12:33 PM, sf wrote:
>
> > You've given me something to look for, but I fear my search will be
> > futile.

> My search is over, I have never found a beer that I like, it all tastes
> bad to me. I guess beer just isn't my thing.

I didn't like beer until I went to England and concentrated on pub
food. They have really good beer there, as they say: "trust me" (from
one non-beer drinker to another).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 19:53:40 -0800 (PST), Bryan
> wrote:

> The only
> mass market beer I like is Negra Modelo, unless you consider Sierra Nevada
> to be mass market. I guess it is.

Negra Modelo leaves Sierra Nevada in the dust.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-02-28, Cheri > wrote:

> In the old days I liked Hamm's. Then Miller Red. Now, Miller Chill, but I
> like Budweiser just fine too.

Historical note: After Prohibition, breweries tries desparately to
increase their beer sales. They decided one way was to make a lighter
beer that would attract the ladies.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10:43:10 PM UTC-6, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 19:53:40 -0800 (PST), Bryan
>
> > wrote:
>

> > The only

> > mass market beer I like is Negra Modelo, unless you consider Sierra Nevada

> > to be mass market. I guess it is.

I still can't get SN Pale Ale in cans in STL.

> Negra Modelo leaves Sierra Nevada in the dust.

They're very different. Upthread, you described yourself as having not
liked beer until you went to England, and called yourself a "non-beer drinker."
Negra Modelo is good, but it's still commercial beer. I'd never put it in
the same tier as Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, which is the archetypal American
good beer, like Budweiser (or Bud Light) is the archetypal American bad beer.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:48:21 PM UTC-6, bigwheel wrote:
> What a buncha assaholas..they will owe me millions stretching back to
>
> eight Grade. I am getting riled up. I can nearly remember when that
>
> stuff started to not give such a bad hangover. The Devil's Urine treats
>
> folks thataway sometimes. I am immediately moving back to Shiner. Not
>
> sure what come over a young skull full of mush to drink yankee beer like
>
> that to start with. Im ****ed.

A guy at a nudist camp in Oklahoma gave me a Shiner Bock, probably 15
years ago. I don't know if I just got a bad bottle, or if it really was
that bad. I excused myself to the restroom so I could pour it out without
offending him. Tell you another awful beer, Dixie. A guy in New Orleans
declared me an honorary Coonass because I ate about a half pound of mudbugs
and sucked the heads of every one, accompanied by a 6 pack of Dixie.

> bigwheel

--Bryan