Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Favourite Stroganoff Recipe

My uncle is getting guests from the old world in March, and wants me
to make a beef stroganoff. What are your favourite recipes? I've
never used a strict recipe to make it, but this time I will. And yes
I could google, but I would like opinions of the people here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 26, 6:07*am, A Moose in Love >
wrote:
> My uncle is getting guests from the old world in March, and wants me
> to make a beef stroganoff. *What are your favourite recipes? *I've
> never used a strict recipe to make it, but this time I will. *And yes
> I could google, but I would like opinions of the people here.

We all voted and decided you need to use Google.
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

I was taught sorta like unto this.

2 or so lbs of slivered up round steak (Choice Grade or CAB would be ideal 1/4 to 3/8" strips maybe)
1 large finely chopped onion
1 cup or so grated cheddar cheese
1 carton sour cream
2 or 3 smashed and chopped garlic cloves
1/4 cup oil or butter oil combo
Salt and black peper to taste
Cooked egg noodles

Season the meat and cook in the oil gently with a lid till it shows some sign of tendering up a bit. Add the onion..then the garlic and continue till all is happy. Add the grated cheese and allow it to leisurely melt while stirring. Last step is remove from fire and add the sour cream. Serve over the noodles. Bon Apetit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Moose in Love View Post
My uncle is getting guests from the old world in March, and wants me
to make a beef stroganoff. What are your favourite recipes? I've
never used a strict recipe to make it, but this time I will. And yes
I could google, but I would like opinions of the people here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Chemo > wrote:

> On Feb 26, 6:07*am, A Moose in Love >
> wrote:
> > My uncle is getting guests from the old world in March, and wants me
> > to make a beef stroganoff. *What are your favourite recipes? *I've
> > never used a strict recipe to make it, but this time I will. *And yes
> > I could google, but I would like opinions of the people here.

> We all voted and decided you need to use Google.

but moose doesn't have any friends
Posted to rec.food.cooking

This is the way I make it, and we really enjoy it, but am sure there are
more "traditional" ways of preparing it.

Beef Stroganoff

1-1/2 lbs. round steak, cut in 3/4 inch cubes
1-1/2 tsp. salt
Pepper, to taste
1 tsp. garlic powder
Flour
3 tbsp. butter
1 cup canned tomatoes
1 cup dairy sour cream

Combine salt, pepper, garlic power and 1/3 cup flour in a heavy paper
bag. Add meat cubes and shake well to coat completely. Brown slowly in a
heavy skillet in the butter, stirring frequently to brown evenly. Stir
in tomatoes, add a little hot water. Cover tightly and simmer for 1-1/2
to 2 hours or until meat is tender. Stir frequently and add more hot
water if mixture becomes too dry. Add 2 tbsp. flour to the sour cream
and stir till smooth. Add to meat and cook, stirring, until thickened.
Serve over hot buttered noodles.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 26, 2:44*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> This is the way I make it, and we really enjoy it, but am sure there are
> more "traditional" ways of preparing it.
>
> Beef Stroganoff
>
> 1-1/2 lbs. round steak, cut in 3/4 inch cubes
> 1-1/2 tsp. salt
> Pepper, to taste
> 1 tsp. garlic powder
> Flour
> 3 tbsp. butter
> 1 cup canned tomatoes
> 1 cup dairy sour cream
>
> Combine salt, pepper, garlic power and 1/3 cup flour in a heavy paper
> bag. Add meat cubes and shake well to coat completely. Brown slowly in a
> heavy skillet in the butter, stirring frequently to brown evenly. Stir
> in tomatoes, add a little hot water. Cover tightly and simmer for 1-1/2
> to 2 hours or until meat is tender. Stir frequently and add more hot
> water if mixture becomes too dry. Add 2 tbsp. flour to the sour cream
> and stir till smooth. Add to meat and cook, stirring, until thickened.
> Serve over hot buttered noodles.
>
> Judy

I like the simplicity of this recipe Judy. The only thing I'd change
is to use beef blade roast (probably chuck roast in the US) instead of
the round. AND I'd add mushrooms. My uncle insists upon mushrooms in
his stroganoff.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 26, 1:05*pm, bigwheel >
wrote:
> I was taught sorta like unto this.
>
> 2 or so lbs of slivered up round steak (Choice Grade or CAB would be
> ideal 1/4 to 3/8" strips maybe)
> 1 large finely chopped onion
> 1 cup or so grated cheddar cheese
> 1 carton sour cream
> 2 or 3 smashed and chopped garlic cloves
> 1/4 cup oil or butter oil combo
> Salt and black peper to taste
> Cooked egg noodles
>
> Season the meat and cook in the oil gently with a lid till it shows some
> sign of tendering up a bit. Add the onion..then the garlic and continue
> till all is happy. Add the grated cheese and allow it to leisurely melt
> while stirring. Last step is remove from fire and add the sour cream.
> Serve over the noodles. Bon Apetit!
>
> A Moose in Love;1816945 Wrote:
>
> > My uncle is getting guests from the old world in March, and wants me
> > to make a beef stroganoff. *What are your favourite recipes? *I've
> > never used a strict recipe to make it, but this time I will. *And yes
> > I could google, but I would like opinions of the people here.

> --
> bigwheel

That's the second recipe that I've seen where mushrooms are not
included. In my opinion, a stroganoff without mushrooms is not a
stroganoff. That's what I've learned anyway. I suppose that the
original classic stroganoff was made without shrooms.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/26/2013 3:15 PM, A Moose in Love wrote:
> On Feb 26, 2:44 pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
>> This is the way I make it, and we really enjoy it, but am sure there are
>> more "traditional" ways of preparing it.
>>
>> Beef Stroganoff
>>
>> 1-1/2 lbs. round steak, cut in 3/4 inch cubes
>> 1-1/2 tsp. salt
>> Pepper, to taste
>> 1 tsp. garlic powder
>> Flour
>> 3 tbsp. butter
>> 1 cup canned tomatoes
>> 1 cup dairy sour cream
>>
>> Combine salt, pepper, garlic power and 1/3 cup flour in a heavy paper
>> bag. Add meat cubes and shake well to coat completely. Brown slowly in a
>> heavy skillet in the butter, stirring frequently to brown evenly. Stir
>> in tomatoes, add a little hot water. Cover tightly and simmer for 1-1/2
>> to 2 hours or until meat is tender. Stir frequently and add more hot
>> water if mixture becomes too dry. Add 2 tbsp. flour to the sour cream
>> and stir till smooth. Add to meat and cook, stirring, until thickened.
>> Serve over hot buttered noodles.
>>
>> Judy

> I like the simplicity of this recipe Judy. The only thing I'd change
> is to use beef blade roast (probably chuck roast in the US) instead of
> the round. AND I'd add mushrooms. My uncle insists upon mushrooms in
> his stroganoff.

Yep, stroganoff needs mushrooms. I'd also thinly slice the beef rather
than cut it into cubes. (Very cold, almost partially frozen, beef is
easier to slice.)

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 26, 2013 2:15:46 PM UTC-6, A Moose in Love wrote:
> On Feb 26, 2:44*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
>
> > This is the way I make it, and we really enjoy it, but am sure there are

> > more "traditional" ways of preparing it.

> > Beef Stroganoff

> > 1-1/2 lbs. round steak, cut in 3/4 inch cubes

> > 1-1/2 tsp. salt

> > Pepper, to taste

> > 1 tsp. garlic powder

> > Flour

> > 3 tbsp. butter

> > 1 cup canned tomatoes

> > 1 cup dairy sour cream

> > Combine salt, pepper, garlic power and 1/3 cup flour in a heavy paper

> > bag. Add meat cubes and shake well to coat completely. Brown slowly in a

> > heavy skillet in the butter, stirring frequently to brown evenly. Stir

> > in tomatoes, add a little hot water. Cover tightly and simmer for 1-1/2

> > to 2 hours or until meat is tender. Stir frequently and add more hot

> > water if mixture becomes too dry. Add 2 tbsp. flour to the sour cream

> > and stir till smooth. Add to meat and cook, stirring, until thickened.

> > Serve over hot buttered noodles.

> > Judy

> I like the simplicity of this recipe Judy.

Judy is simple.

> The only thing I'd change
>
> is to use beef blade roast (probably chuck roast in the US) instead of
>
> the round. AND I'd add mushrooms. My uncle insists upon mushrooms in
>
> his stroganoff.

Judy's recipe is no more stroganoff than this is--
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...oganoff-233247

It doesn't look bad, and boy, there are some real horrors out there.
Some of them look like they probably came off the can of condensed cream
of mushroom soup.

This looks right, but I'd figure parsley instead of thyme, and substitute
sour cream for at least half of the heavy cream.-
http://www.food.com/recipe/original-...oganoff-325183

Most of the "recipes" I've seen today are so bad that folks would be better
off with the Hamburger Helper version.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love wrote:

>I like the simplicity of this recipe Judy.
> The only thing I'd change is to use beef
> blade roast (probably chuck roast in the
> US) instead of the round. AND I'd add
> mushrooms. My uncle insists upon
> mushrooms in his stroganoff.

Yes, definitely mushrooms would make an excellent addition, as they make
anything better, IMO. Either of those type of roast should work well.
Good luck!

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/26/2013 4:49 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> A Moose in Love wrote:
>
>> I like the simplicity of this recipe Judy.
>> The only thing I'd change is to use beef
>> blade roast (probably chuck roast in the
>> US) instead of the round. AND I'd add
>> mushrooms. My uncle insists upon
>> mushrooms in his stroganoff.

> Yes, definitely mushrooms would make an excellent addition, as they make
> anything better, IMO. Either of those type of roast should work well.
> Good luck!
>
> Judy

Yes, I like mushrooms in Stroganoff. Ordinary white mushrooms are fine.
It's not necessary to use expensive ones like Cremini, Portobello or
Shitake.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 26, 2:12*pm, James Silverton >
wrote:
> On 2/26/2013 4:49 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:
>

> > A Moose in Love wrote:

> >> I like the simplicity of this recipe Judy.
> >> The only thing I'd change is to use beef
> >> blade roast (probably chuck roast in the
> >> US) instead of the round. AND I'd add
> >> mushrooms. My uncle insists upon
> >> mushrooms in his stroganoff.

> > Yes, definitely mushrooms would make an excellent addition, as they make
> > anything better, IMO. Either of those type of roast should work well.
> > Good luck!

> > Judy

> Yes, I like mushrooms in Stroganoff. Ordinary white mushrooms are fine.
> It's not necessary to use expensive ones like Cremini, Portobello *or
> Shitake.
>
> --
> Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)
>
> Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

I don't see a big price diff between white or cremini...so I'll stick
with the creminis.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
> My uncle is getting guests from the old world in March, and wants me
> to make a beef stroganoff. What are your favourite recipes? I've
> never used a strict recipe to make it, but this time I will. And yes
> I could google, but I would like opinions of the people here.

I sauté diced shallots and garlic in olive oil and remove to bowl, Then I
dredge beef in flour and salt and brown in the same pan - brown - as in
brown not beige. Then I remove the meat, deglaze with white wine, reduce,
add back the onions and garlic, add paprika to taste, sliced mushrooms and
consommé. Cook until all the tasty bits are dissolved. Add back the meat
and continue to slowly braise, cover to rertain moisture. When meat is
tender reduce by more than 50% to make a thick mixture. Incorporate sour
cream just before serving.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26/02/2013 22:12, James Silverton wrote:
> On 2/26/2013 4:49 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:
>>
>> A Moose in Love wrote:
>>
>>> I like the simplicity of this recipe Judy.
>>> The only thing I'd change is to use beef
>>> blade roast (probably chuck roast in the
>>> US) instead of the round. AND I'd add
>>> mushrooms. My uncle insists upon
>>> mushrooms in his stroganoff.

>> Yes, definitely mushrooms would make an excellent addition, as they make
>> anything better, IMO. Either of those type of roast should work well.
>> Good luck!
>>
>> Judy
>>

> Yes, I like mushrooms in Stroganoff. Ordinary white mushrooms are fine.
> It's not necessary to use expensive ones like Cremini, Portobello or
> Shitake.

Agreed, and the mushrooms as well as the meat should be thinly sliced. I
don't put cheese in my stroganoff as the sour cream adds enough flavour.

David

--
David Rance writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 14:35:30 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

>"A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
>> My uncle is getting guests from the old world in March, and wants me
>> to make a beef stroganoff. What are your favourite recipes? I've
>> never used a strict recipe to make it, but this time I will. And yes
>> I could google, but I would like opinions of the people here.

>I sauté diced shallots and garlic in olive oil and remove to bowl, Then I
>dredge beef in flour and salt and brown in the same pan - brown - as in
>brown not beige. Then I remove the meat, deglaze with white wine, reduce,
>add back the onions and garlic, add paprika to taste, sliced mushrooms and
>consommé. Cook until all the tasty bits are dissolved. Add back the meat
>and continue to slowly braise, cover to rertain moisture. When meat is
>tender reduce by more than 50% to make a thick mixture. Incorporate sour
>cream just before serving.

This is the recipe that I would choose.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/26/2013 6:00 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 14:35:30 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>

>> "A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
>>> My uncle is getting guests from the old world in March, and wants me
>>> to make a beef stroganoff. What are your favourite recipes? I've
>>> never used a strict recipe to make it, but this time I will. And yes
>>> I could google, but I would like opinions of the people here.

>> I sauté diced shallots and garlic in olive oil and remove to bowl, Then I
>> dredge beef in flour and salt and brown in the same pan - brown - as in
>> brown not beige. Then I remove the meat, deglaze with white wine, reduce,
>> add back the onions and garlic, add paprika to taste, sliced mushrooms and
>> consommé. Cook until all the tasty bits are dissolved. Add back the meat
>> and continue to slowly braise, cover to rertain moisture. When meat is
>> tender reduce by more than 50% to make a thick mixture. Incorporate sour
>> cream just before serving.
>>

> This is the recipe that I would choose.
> Janet US

I'd use red wine, not white. But not something overwhelming.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 26, 2013 3:20:44 PM UTC-6, A Moose in Love wrote:
> On Feb 26, 1:05*pm, bigwheel >
>
> wrote:
>
> > I was taught sorta like unto this.

> > 2 or so lbs of slivered up round steak (Choice Grade or CAB would be

> > ideal 1/4 to 3/8" strips maybe)

> > 1 large finely chopped onion

> > 1 cup or so grated cheddar cheese

> > 1 carton sour cream

> > 2 or 3 smashed and chopped garlic cloves

> > 1/4 cup oil or butter oil combo

> > Salt and black peper to taste

> > Cooked egg noodles

> > Season the meat and cook in the oil gently with a lid till it shows some

> > sign of tendering up a bit. Add the onion..then the garlic and continue

> > till all is happy. Add the grated cheese and allow it to leisurely melt

> > while stirring. Last step is remove from fire and add the sour cream.

> > Serve over the noodles. Bon Apetit!

> > A Moose in Love;1816945 Wrote:

> > > My uncle is getting guests from the old world in March, and wants me

> > > to make a beef stroganoff. *What are your favourite recipes? *I've

> > > never used a strict recipe to make it, but this time I will. *And yes

> > > I could google, but I would like opinions of the people here.

> > --

> > bigwheel

> That's the second recipe that I've seen where mushrooms are not
>
> included. In my opinion, a stroganoff without mushrooms is not a
>
> stroganoff. That's what I've learned anyway. I suppose that the
>
> original classic stroganoff was made without shrooms.

I know you think it's cute, calling mushrooms, "shrooms," but shrooms
applies to psilocybes, not mushrooms in general.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 16:29:07 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 2/26/2013 3:15 PM, A Moose in Love wrote:
>> On Feb 26, 2:44 pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
>>> This is the way I make it, and we really enjoy it, but am sure there are
>>> more "traditional" ways of preparing it.
>>>
>>> Beef Stroganoff
>>>
>>> 1-1/2 lbs. round steak, cut in 3/4 inch cubes
>>> 1-1/2 tsp. salt
>>> Pepper, to taste
>>> 1 tsp. garlic powder
>>> Flour
>>> 3 tbsp. butter
>>> 1 cup canned tomatoes
>>> 1 cup dairy sour cream
>>>
>>> Combine salt, pepper, garlic power and 1/3 cup flour in a heavy paper
>>> bag. Add meat cubes and shake well to coat completely. Brown slowly in a
>>> heavy skillet in the butter, stirring frequently to brown evenly. Stir
>>> in tomatoes, add a little hot water. Cover tightly and simmer for 1-1/2
>>> to 2 hours or until meat is tender. Stir frequently and add more hot
>>> water if mixture becomes too dry. Add 2 tbsp. flour to the sour cream
>>> and stir till smooth. Add to meat and cook, stirring, until thickened.
>>> Serve over hot buttered noodles.
>>>
>>> Judy

>> I like the simplicity of this recipe Judy. The only thing I'd change
>> is to use beef blade roast (probably chuck roast in the US) instead of
>> the round. AND I'd add mushrooms. My uncle insists upon mushrooms in
>> his stroganoff.
>>

>Yep, stroganoff needs mushrooms. I'd also thinly slice the beef rather
>than cut it into cubes. (Very cold, almost partially frozen, beef is
>easier to slice.)

The recipe I have also includes mustard.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

David wrote:

>Agreed, and the mushrooms as well as
> the meat should be thinly sliced. I don't
> put cheese in my stroganoff as the sour
> cream adds enough flavour.

I've never had stroganoff with sliced beef, but when I make it, I cut
the "chunks" small and they are super tender. I wouldn't put cheese in
mine either, or wine, but that's just my preference. I like the added
tomato taste to it also, but everyone has their own variations, and
should make it according to their likes and dislikes. Sometimes with
cooking less can be best, as if there ar too many added ingredients, one
may over-power another and the true flavor is "masked".

I do think the addition of mushrooms would be a plus though.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

I actually like ground beef in it-seems like you get a more even coating
of the noodles so that every bite has meat clinging to the noodles via
the sauce. Reheats better also.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 26, 7:25*pm, (z z) wrote:

> I actually like ground beef in it-seems like you get a more even coating
> of the noodles so that every bite has meat clinging to the noodles via
> the sauce. Reheats better also.

z z votes for Hamburger Helper.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
> My uncle is getting guests from the old world in March, and wants me
> to make a beef stroganoff. What are your favourite recipes? I've
> never used a strict recipe to make it, but this time I will. And yes
> I could google, but I would like opinions of the people here.

mine is he

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/c...ipe/index.html

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 13:29:37 -0800 (PST), Bryan
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, February 26, 2013 2:15:46 PM UTC-6, A Moose in Love wrote:
>> On Feb 26, 2:44*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
>>
>> > This is the way I make it, and we really enjoy it, but am sure there are

>> > more "traditional" ways of preparing it.

>> > Beef Stroganoff

>> > 1-1/2 lbs. round steak, cut in 3/4 inch cubes

>> > 1-1/2 tsp. salt

>> > Pepper, to taste

>> > 1 tsp. garlic powder

>> > Flour

>> > 3 tbsp. butter

>> > 1 cup canned tomatoes

>> > 1 cup dairy sour cream

>> > Combine salt, pepper, garlic power and 1/3 cup flour in a heavy paper

>> > bag. Add meat cubes and shake well to coat completely. Brown slowly in a

>> > heavy skillet in the butter, stirring frequently to brown evenly. Stir

>> > in tomatoes, add a little hot water. Cover tightly and simmer for 1-1/2

>> > to 2 hours or until meat is tender. Stir frequently and add more hot

>> > water if mixture becomes too dry. Add 2 tbsp. flour to the sour cream

>> > and stir till smooth. Add to meat and cook, stirring, until thickened.

>> > Serve over hot buttered noodles.

>> > Judy

>> I like the simplicity of this recipe Judy.

>Judy is simple.
>
>> The only thing I'd change
>>
>> is to use beef blade roast (probably chuck roast in the US) instead of
>>
>> the round. AND I'd add mushrooms. My uncle insists upon mushrooms in
>>
>> his stroganoff.

>Judy's recipe is no more stroganoff than this is--
>http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...oganoff-233247
>
>It doesn't look bad, and boy, there are some real horrors out there.
>Some of them look like they probably came off the can of condensed cream
>of mushroom soup.
>
>This looks right, but I'd figure parsley instead of thyme, and substitute
>sour cream for at least half of the heavy cream.-
>http://www.food.com/recipe/original-...oganoff-325183
>
>Most of the "recipes" I've seen today are so bad that folks would be better
>off with the Hamburger Helper version.
>
>--Bryan

At least this one lists paprika. All of the previous posted recipes
had no paprika.

JB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 2/26/2013 6:00 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 14:35:30 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
>> wrote:

>>> I sauté diced shallots and garlic in olive oil and remove to bowl, Then
>>> dredge beef in flour and salt and brown in the same pan - brown - as in
>>> brown not beige. Then I remove the meat, deglaze with white wine,
>>> reduce,
>>> add back the onions and garlic, add paprika to taste, sliced mushrooms
>>> and
>>> consommé. Cook until all the tasty bits are dissolved. Add back the
>>> meat
>>> and continue to slowly braise, cover to rertain moisture. When meat is
>>> tender reduce by more than 50% to make a thick mixture. Incorporate
>>> sour
>>> cream just before serving.
>>>

>> This is the recipe that I would choose.
>> Janet US
>>

> I'd use red wine, not white. But not something overwhelming.

Red makes the dish too dark, almost black.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article
A Moose in Love > wrote:

> My uncle is getting guests from the old world in March, and wants me
> to make a beef stroganoff. What are your favourite recipes? I've
> never used a strict recipe to make it, but this time I will. And yes
> I could google, but I would like opinions of the people here.

We tried a lot. The winner was straight Betty Crocker, but I use rare
roast beef instead of raw, and add it at the very last minute.

Isaac

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 13:20:44 -0800 (PST), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

> In my opinion, a stroganoff without mushrooms is not a
> stroganoff. That's what I've learned anyway. I suppose that the
> original classic stroganoff was made without shrooms.

Who cares? Find one you like and add mushrooms if they aren't already
included.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 15:24:13 -0800 (PST), Bryan
> wrote:

> I know you think it's cute, calling mushrooms, "shrooms," but shrooms
> applies to psilocybes, not mushrooms in general.

THANK YOU! I wish you would make this a standard reply to every
stupid/naive poster that calls mushrooms "shrooms" - because it drives
me up the GD wall every time I see the term used inappropriately.
"Whatta putz" isn't even half of what I think.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> "A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
> > My uncle is getting guests from the old world in March, and wants me
> > to make a beef stroganoff. What are your favourite recipes? I've
> > never used a strict recipe to make it, but this time I will. And yes
> > I could google, but I would like opinions of the people here.

> I sauté diced shallots and garlic in olive oil and remove to bowl, Then I
> dredge beef in flour and salt and brown in the same pan - brown - as in
> brown not beige. Then I remove the meat, deglaze with white wine, reduce,
> add back the onions and garlic, add paprika to taste, sliced mushrooms and
> consommé. Cook until all the tasty bits are dissolved. Add back the meat
> and continue to slowly braise, cover to rertain moisture. When meat is
> tender reduce by more than 50% to make a thick mixture. Incorporate sour
> cream just before serving.

What cut of meat do you use?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 23:36:02 -0800, sf > wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 14:35:30 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>

> > "A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
> > > My uncle is getting guests from the old world in March, and wants me
> > > to make a beef stroganoff. What are your favourite recipes? I've
> > > never used a strict recipe to make it, but this time I will. And yes
> > > I could google, but I would like opinions of the people here.

> > I sauté diced shallots and garlic in olive oil and remove to bowl, Then I
> > dredge beef in flour and salt and brown in the same pan - brown - as in
> > brown not beige. Then I remove the meat, deglaze with white wine, reduce,
> > add back the onions and garlic, add paprika to taste, sliced mushrooms and
> > consommé. Cook until all the tasty bits are dissolved. Add back the meat
> > and continue to slowly braise, cover to rertain moisture. When meat is
> > tender reduce by more than 50% to make a thick mixture. Incorporate sour
> > cream just before serving.
> >

> What cut of meat do you use?

Oh, never mind. I just read the recipe again... I haven't seen round
steak in ages.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 23:36:02 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 14:35:30 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
>> wrote:

>> > I sauté diced shallots and garlic in olive oil and remove to bowl,
>> > Then I
>> > dredge beef in flour and salt and brown in the same pan - brown - as in
>> > brown not beige. Then I remove the meat, deglaze with white wine,
>> > reduce,
>> > add back the onions and garlic, add paprika to taste, sliced mushrooms
>> > and
>> > consommé. Cook until all the tasty bits are dissolved. Add back the
>> > meat
>> > and continue to slowly braise, cover to rertain moisture. When meat is
>> > tender reduce by more than 50% to make a thick mixture. Incorporate
>> > sour
>> > cream just before serving.
>> >

>> What cut of meat do you use?

> Oh, never mind. I just read the recipe again... I haven't seen round
> steak in ages.

I typically use chuck steak as it has more flavor. I do make sure it is
well trimmed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26/02/2013 22:42, David Rance wrote:
> On 26/02/2013 22:12, James Silverton wrote:

>>> Yes, definitely mushrooms would make an excellent addition, as they make
>>> anything better, IMO. Either of those type of roast should work well.
>>> Good luck!
>>>
>>> Judy
>>>

>> Yes, I like mushrooms in Stroganoff. Ordinary white mushrooms are fine.
>> It's not necessary to use expensive ones like Cremini, Portobello or
>> Shitake.
>>

> Agreed, and the mushrooms as well as the meat should be thinly sliced. I
> don't put cheese in my stroganoff as the sour cream adds enough flavour.

I should have said that it is traditionally eaten with boiled rice. It's
a Russian dish, not Italian - so not pasta!

David

--
David Rance writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 00:12:39 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

> I typically use chuck steak as it has more flavor. I do make sure it is
> well trimmed.

How long would you say it takes? I got turned off to stroganoff when
I first started cooking. I used flank steak or something similar and
the darned meat wasn't tender until 10PM. Obviously, I had no prior
experience with flank steak. It looked more tender than it was.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27/02/2013 07:39, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 23:36:02 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 14:35:30 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
>> wrote:

>>> I sauté diced shallots and garlic in olive oil and remove to bowl, Then I
>>> dredge beef in flour and salt and brown in the same pan - brown - as in
>>> brown not beige. Then I remove the meat, deglaze with white wine, reduce,
>>> add back the onions and garlic, add paprika to taste, sliced mushrooms and
>>> consommé. Cook until all the tasty bits are dissolved. Add back the meat
>>> and continue to slowly braise, cover to rertain moisture. When meat is
>>> tender reduce by more than 50% to make a thick mixture. Incorporate sour
>>> cream just before serving.
>>>

>> What cut of meat do you use?

> Oh, never mind. I just read the recipe again... I haven't seen round
> steak in ages.

What is round steak? Is it what we Brits call fillet steak (which is
what I use for stroganoff)?

David

--
David Rance writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 00:12:39 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>
>> I typically use chuck steak as it has more flavor. I do make sure it is
>> well trimmed.

> How long would you say it takes? I got turned off to stroganoff when
> I first started cooking. I used flank steak or something similar and
> the darned meat wasn't tender until 10PM. Obviously, I had no prior
> experience with flank steak. It looked more tender than it was.

I can make the whole dish in an hour or so. I cut the meat against the
grain and that helps it tenderize faster. I also cut it in fairly thin
strips. If you use stew beef you'll need to cook it longer as it is not
ideally cut for tenderness.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 00:32:07 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 00:12:39 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I typically use chuck steak as it has more flavor. I do make sure it is
> >> well trimmed.

> > How long would you say it takes? I got turned off to stroganoff when
> > I first started cooking. I used flank steak or something similar and
> > the darned meat wasn't tender until 10PM. Obviously, I had no prior
> > experience with flank steak. It looked more tender than it was.

> I can make the whole dish in an hour or so. I cut the meat against the
> grain and that helps it tenderize faster. I also cut it in fairly thin
> strips. If you use stew beef you'll need to cook it longer as it is not
> ideally cut for tenderness.

Thanks, I'll try that one of these days. Hubby needs to limit beef
etc. but he loves it even more than I do - so I'll make it for a treat
and add LOTS of mushrooms as good measure.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/27/2013 3:20 AM, David Rance wrote:
> On 26/02/2013 22:42, David Rance wrote:

>>> Yes, I like mushrooms in Stroganoff. Ordinary white mushrooms are fine.
>>> It's not necessary to use expensive ones like Cremini, Portobello or
>>> Shitake.
>>>

>> Agreed, and the mushrooms as well as the meat should be thinly sliced. I
>> don't put cheese in my stroganoff as the sour cream adds enough flavour.

> I should have said that it is traditionally eaten with boiled rice. It's
> a Russian dish, not Italian - so not pasta!

Perhaps, you are right but I've always eaten it with noodles.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 26, 4:29*pm, jmcquown > wrote:
> On 2/26/2013 3:15 PM, A Moose in Love wrote:
>

> > On Feb 26, 2:44 pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> >> This is the way I make it, and we really enjoy it, but am sure there are
> >> more "traditional" ways of preparing it.

> >> Beef Stroganoff

> >> 1-1/2 lbs. round steak, cut in 3/4 inch cubes
> >> 1-1/2 tsp. salt
> >> Pepper, to taste
> >> 1 tsp. garlic powder
> >> Flour
> >> 3 tbsp. butter
> >> 1 cup canned tomatoes
> >> 1 cup dairy sour cream

> >> Combine salt, pepper, garlic power and 1/3 cup flour in a heavy paper
> >> bag. Add meat cubes and shake well to coat completely. Brown slowly in a
> >> heavy skillet in the butter, stirring frequently to brown evenly. Stir
> >> in tomatoes, add a little hot water. Cover tightly and simmer for 1-1/2
> >> to 2 hours or until meat is tender. Stir frequently and add more hot
> >> water if mixture becomes too dry. Add 2 tbsp. flour to the sour cream
> >> and stir till smooth. Add to meat and cook, stirring, until thickened.
> >> Serve over hot buttered noodles.

> >> Judy

> > I like the simplicity of this recipe Judy. *The only thing I'd change
> > is to use beef blade roast (probably chuck roast in the US) instead of
> > the round. *AND I'd add mushrooms. *My uncle insists upon mushrooms in
> > his stroganoff.

> Yep, stroganoff needs mushrooms. *I'd also thinly slice the beef rather
> than cut it into cubes. *(Very cold, almost partially frozen, beef is
> easier to slice.)
>
> Jill

I don't cube it, but cut it into strips example 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch
by 1 1/4 long. I don't measure the strips, so these numbers may not
be accurate, but you get the idea.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 26, 6:00*pm, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 14:35:30 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>

> >"A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
> >> My uncle is getting guests from the old world in March, and wants me
> >> to make a beef stroganoff. *What are your favourite recipes? *I've
> >> never used a strict recipe to make it, but this time I will. *And yes
> >> I could google, but I would like opinions of the people here.

> >I sauté diced shallots and garlic in olive oil and remove to bowl, *Then I
> >dredge beef in flour and salt and brown in the same pan - brown - as in
> >brown not beige. * Then I remove the meat, deglaze with white wine, reduce,
> >add back the onions and garlic, add paprika to taste, sliced mushrooms and
> >consommé. *Cook until all the tasty bits are dissolved. *Add back the meat
> >and continue to slowly braise, cover to rertain moisture. *When meat is
> >tender reduce by more than 50% to make a thick mixture. *Incorporate sour
> >cream just before serving.

> This is the recipe that I would choose.
> Janet US

That looks pretty good. How much Paprika? If you use a Tbsp. per
pound of meat would that be too much. It might get kind of goulashy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 26, 6:24*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 26, 2013 3:20:44 PM UTC-6, A Moose in Love wrote:
>

> > On Feb 26, 1:05*pm, bigwheel >

> > wrote:

> > > I was taught sorta like unto this.

> > > 2 or so lbs of slivered up round steak (Choice Grade or CAB would be

> > > ideal 1/4 to 3/8" strips maybe)

> > > 1 large finely chopped onion

> > > 1 cup or so grated cheddar cheese

> > > 1 carton sour cream

> > > 2 or 3 smashed and chopped garlic cloves

> > > 1/4 cup oil or butter oil combo

> > > Salt and black peper to taste

> > > Cooked egg noodles

> > > Season the meat and cook in the oil gently with a lid till it shows some

> > > sign of tendering up a bit. Add the onion..then the garlic and continue

> > > till all is happy. Add the grated cheese and allow it to leisurely melt

> > > while stirring. Last step is remove from fire and add the sour cream.

> > > Serve over the noodles. Bon Apetit!

> > > --

> > > bigwheel

> > That's the second recipe that I've seen where mushrooms are not

> > included. *In my opinion, a stroganoff without mushrooms is not a

> > stroganoff. *That's what I've learned anyway. *I suppose that the

> > original classic stroganoff was made without shrooms.

> I know you think it's cute, calling mushrooms, "shrooms," but shrooms
> applies to psilocybes, not mushrooms in general.
>
> --Bryan

When I worked in a restaurant kitchen, we referred to mushrooms as
shrooms. Cucumbers were cukes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/27/2013 3:22 AM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 00:12:39 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>
>> I typically use chuck steak as it has more flavor. I do make sure it is
>> well trimmed.

> How long would you say it takes? I got turned off to stroganoff when
> I first started cooking. I used flank steak or something similar and
> the darned meat wasn't tender until 10PM. Obviously, I had no prior
> experience with flank steak. It looked more tender than it was.

I have a 15 minute stroganoff recipe I like. It uses chuck, as
I recall. I have posted the recipe over the years, but I could
look it up again later this morning if anyone wants it.

nancy

Your favourite salmon recipe(s)? Jeßus[_21_] General Cooking 86 04-05-2015 03:17 AM
beef stroganoff recipe help † cal General Cooking 34 18-08-2009 05:53 PM
Favourite Chocolate Brownie recipe? Sarah General Cooking 9 21-08-2006 07:51 AM
Favourite Recipe Book kells Preserving 0 28-07-2005 01:25 PM
my favourite christmas cookie recipe zwalanga General Cooking 0 20-12-2004 08:28 PM