Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Boiling onions

Only messed with 'em once and swore I'd never do it again, but here I
am. I'm doing that pressure cooker beef bourguignon, again, and I
wanna do it up right, this time. That means do the boiling onions.
Anyway, it says to prepare them separately, and then combine with
finished stew. It says, "sauté (onions), shaking pot occasionally,
until well-browned, about 10 minutes", then pressure cook for two
mins. That's a whole buncha cooking fer 1" dia onions!

So, my question is, how to I prep the b-onions? I've seen
instructions to boil fer 2 mins, then peel. Now we have 3 cooking
steps. I don't think they can take three cooks. So, what? Jes peel
'em raw, which is such a PIA? Jes bite the bullet and do it and STFU?
I don't see any other solution.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21 Feb 2013 18:11:00 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>Only messed with 'em once and swore I'd never do it again, but here I
>am. I'm doing that pressure cooker beef bourguignon, again, and I
>wanna do it up right, this time. That means do the boiling onions.
>Anyway, it says to prepare them separately, and then combine with
>finished stew. It says, "sauté (onions), shaking pot occasionally,
>until well-browned, about 10 minutes", then pressure cook for two
>mins. That's a whole buncha cooking fer 1" dia onions!
>
>So, my question is, how to I prep the b-onions? I've seen
>instructions to boil fer 2 mins, then peel. Now we have 3 cooking
>steps. I don't think they can take three cooks. So, what? Jes peel
>'em raw, which is such a PIA? Jes bite the bullet and do it and STFU?
>I don't see any other solution.
>
>nb

Boiling onions are different than pearl onions. I couldn't tell if
you knew that.
Check out this article for peeling instructions. (from Gourmet
Sleuth)

Boiling onions

General Information:
Boiling onions are white, small and round, about an inch to an
inch-and-a-half in diameter. They are used, as their name suggests,
primarily as boiling onions. Boiling onions have a mild flavor. They
are available year-round.

Selection and Storage:
Choose boiling onions that are heavy for their size. They should have
dry, papery skins with no sign of moisture. Avoid any onions with soft
spots or green sprouts. Humidity breeds spoilage in onions. Store in a
loosely woven bag, basket or crate in a cool (50 to 55°F), dark place
with good air circulation. Never store onions with potatoes. They
speed each other's decay. Boiling onions can be kept about a month.
Once cut, an onion must be tightly wrapped, refrigerated and used
within four days.

Preparation and Cooking Tips:
To peel, drop into boiling water for ten seconds. Remover and cool
immediately under cold running water. Drain and peel with a small
knife. Boiling onions are great in casseroles, soups or creamed
dishes.

Read more from Gourmet Sleuth.com:
http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/Diction...#ixzz2LYnPnjBx

Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Thursday, February 21, 2013 10:11:00 AM UTC-8, notbob wrote:
> Only messed with 'em once and swore I'd never do it again, but here I
> am. I'm doing that pressure cooker beef bourguignon, again,.....

To do it conventionally you would briefly boil the onions, then peel them, then brown them, then add them to the stew. You can skip the first two steps by buying frozen pearl onions which are already parboiled and peeled. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 11:19:35 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

> Maybe you can modify your
> instructions a bit and put them in when you pressure cook the rest of
> the stew? Browned first, of course.

That sounds reasonable to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-02-21, Christine Dabney > wrote:

> conventionally, I peel the onions, and then brown them in pork fat (in
> a separate pan).

Yep. I jes bit the bullet and peeled 'em, raw, one at a time. Not
too painful. 2 doz.

> Browned first, of course.

Yes, I WILL do that. I use bacon grease. Basically, this recipe calls for doing the meat,
onions, and mushrooms, separetly, then combining. It turned out
fantastic two weeks ago, with only the meat and mushrooms. This time
I'm adding the carrots and onions, too. It's me b-day, and boy do I
deserve it!

Now, I need to brown the meat and make the stock. I shan't indulge in
the noble grape for 2 more hrs.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-02-21, Janet Bostwick > wrote:

> Boiling onions are different than pearl onions.

I do now! THAT'S why I dreaded doing it. The first time I peeled
pearl onions Nevr again! B-onions weren't so bad.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2013-02-21, Christine Dabney > wrote:
>
>> conventionally, I peel the onions, and then brown them in pork fat (in
>> a separate pan).

> Yep. I jes bit the bullet and peeled 'em, raw, one at a time. Not
> too painful. 2 doz.
>
>> Browned first, of course.

> Yes, I WILL do that. I use bacon grease. Basically, this recipe calls
> for doing the meat,
> onions, and mushrooms, separetly, then combining. It turned out
> fantastic two weeks ago, with only the meat and mushrooms. This time
> I'm adding the carrots and onions, too. It's me b-day, and boy do I
> deserve it!
>
> Now, I need to brown the meat and make the stock. I shan't indulge in
> the noble grape for 2 more hrs.

Happy birthday) Have a good one

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2013-02-21, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>
>> Boiling onions are different than pearl onions.

> I do now! THAT'S why I dreaded doing it. The first time I peeled
> pearl onions Nevr again! B-onions weren't so bad.

I always use shallots with that.
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-02-21, Ophelia > wrote:

> "notbob" > wrote in message

>> the noble grape for 2 more hrs.

> Happy birthday) Have a good one

Thank you, Ophelia. .....and make that 1hr-15mins.

It's tucked in for the main p/c. Only gotta saute the 'shrooms,
re-heat the browned onions, and combine.

Ya' know what's funny. I don't recall removing the bouquet garni, last
time. DOH! (wunner where it went??)

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 21, 1:11*pm, notbob > wrote:
> Only messed with 'em once and swore I'd never do it again, but here I
> am. *I'm doing that pressure cooker beef bourguignon, again, and I
> wanna do it up right, this time. *That means do the boiling onions.
> Anyway, it says to prepare them separately, and then combine with
> finished stew. *It says, "saut (onions), shaking pot occasionally,
> until well-browned, about 10 minutes", then pressure cook for two
> mins. *That's a whole buncha cooking fer 1" dia onions!
>
> So, my question is, how to I prep the b-onions? *I've seen
> instructions to boil fer 2 mins, then peel. *Now we have 3 cooking
> steps. *I don't think they can take three cooks. *So, what? *Jes peel
> 'em raw, which is such a PIA? *Jes bite the bullet and do it and STFU?
> I don't see any other solution. *
>
> nb

The initial boil is to make them easy to peel. First cut a not too
deep X into the root end of the onion. Then drop in boiling water for
a minute or two. The onion can then easily be squeezed out of its
skin.

http://www.richardfisher.com