Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The price of food, then and now

When I was a wee lad, my momma would send me to the corner store with
$1.00. *I'd come back with 5 potatoes, 3 quarts of milk, 2 loaves of
bread, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea, and six eggs.
You can't do that now. *Too many flippin' security cameras.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 06:39:33 -0800 (PST), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

> When I was a wee lad, my momma would send me to the corner store with
> $1.00. *I'd come back with 5 potatoes, 3 quarts of milk, 2 loaves of
> bread, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea, and six eggs.
> You can't do that now. *Too many flippin' security cameras.

LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 18, 10:09*am, "I'm back" > wrote:
> A Moose in Love > wrote in news:950d7bcf-fce9-
> :
>
> > *When I was a wee lad, my momma would send me to the corner store with
> > $1.00. *I'd come back with 5 potatoes, 3 quarts of milk, 2 loaves of
> > bread, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea, and six eggs.
> > You can't do that now. *Too many flippin' security cameras.

> LOL!! An oldie but a goodie :-)
>
> Having said that, I can remember when I was about 16, I could walk into a
> fish and chip shop with $1, and get a *HUGE* feed of F&C's and a 'family'
> size bottle of Coke, and come out with a bit of change.
>
> There was approx 6-7 pieces of fish, and a humungous mound of hot chips.
>
> Back when I was in Primary School, we could get a *big* feed of fish and
> chips for 10c. Enough for two hungry 10-11yo's.

I can remember going to the movies on a Saturday afternoon for
35cents(Cdn.); many times there would be two movies showing.
A 24 bottle case of beer for $5.00; now they're $30.00 and upwards.

> --
> Peter
> Brisbane
> Australia
>
> Success isn't so difficult.
> Just bite off more than you can chew,
> then go do it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/18/2013 9:30 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 06:39:33 -0800 (PST), A Moose in Love
> > wrote:
>
>> When I was a wee lad, my momma would send me to the corner store with
>> $1.00. I'd come back with 5 potatoes, 3 quarts of milk, 2 loaves of
>> bread, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea, and six eggs.
>> You can't do that now. Too many flippin' security cameras.

> LOL

When I was a kid I got a job in a grocery store. My first task on my
first day was to re-price 5 pound bags of sugar from 39 to 42 cents.
One woman gave me Hell for the higher prices so I gave her 3 bags still
marked 39 cents and that made her happy.

I'm thinking 1965.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love > wrote in
:

> On Feb 18, 10:09*am, "I'm back" > wrote:
>> A Moose in Love > wrote in
>> :
>>
>> > *When I was a wee lad, my momma would send me to the corner store
>> > wit

>> > $1.00. *I'd come back with 5 potatoes, 3 quarts of milk, 2 loaves
>> > of bread, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea, and six eggs.
>> > You can't do that now. *Too many flippin' security cameras.

>> LOL!! An oldie but a goodie :-)
>>
>> Having said that, I can remember when I was about 16, I could walk
>> into a fish and chip shop with $1, and get a *HUGE* feed of F&C's and
>> a 'family' size bottle of Coke, and come out with a bit of change.
>>
>> There was approx 6-7 pieces of fish, and a humungous mound of hot
>> chips.
>>
>> Back when I was in Primary School, we could get a *big* feed of fish
>> and chips for 10c. Enough for two hungry 10-11yo's.

> I can remember going to the movies on a Saturday afternoon for
> 35cents(Cdn.); many times there would be two movies showing.
> A 24 bottle case of beer for $5.00; now they're $30.00 and upwards.

We had $9 cases of beer back in the late 70's early 80's.

Now they're averaging about $50.

--
Peter
Brisbane
Australia

Success isn't so difficult.
Just bite off more than you can chew,
then go do it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/18/2013 10:55 AM, I'm back wrote:
> A Moose in Love > wrote in
> :
>
>> On Feb 18, 10:09 am, "I'm back" > wrote:
>>> A Moose in Love > wrote in
>>> :

>>> LOL!! An oldie but a goodie :-)
>>>
>>> Having said that, I can remember when I was about 16, I could walk
>>> into a fish and chip shop with $1, and get a *HUGE* feed of F&C's and
>>> a 'family' size bottle of Coke, and come out with a bit of change.
>>>
>>> There was approx 6-7 pieces of fish, and a humungous mound of hot
>>> chips.
>>>
>>> Back when I was in Primary School, we could get a *big* feed of fish
>>> and chips for 10c. Enough for two hungry 10-11yo's.

>> I can remember going to the movies on a Saturday afternoon for
>> 35cents(Cdn.); many times there would be two movies showing.
>> A 24 bottle case of beer for $5.00; now they're $30.00 and upwards.
>>

> We had $9 cases of beer back in the late 70's early 80's.
>
> Now they're averaging about $50.

I could go the kid's show on Saturday morning for six pence (about 6
cents US at that time.) It's hard to allow for inflation; not that it
stops me complaining about prices

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I remember dimies and pitchers for a buck. Circa 1968.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 18, 2013 9:37:54 AM UTC-6, A Moose in Love wrote:
> On Feb 18, 10:09*am, "I'm back" > wrote:
>
> > A Moose in Love > wrote in news:950d7bcf-fce9-

> > :

> > > *When I was a wee lad, my momma would send me to the corner store with

> > > $1.00. *I'd come back with 5 potatoes, 3 quarts of milk, 2 loaves of

> > > bread, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea, and six eggs.

> > > You can't do that now. *Too many flippin' security cameras.

> > LOL!! An oldie but a goodie :-)

> > Having said that, I can remember when I was about 16, I could walk into a

> > fish and chip shop with $1, and get a *HUGE* feed of F&C's and a 'family'

> > size bottle of Coke, and come out with a bit of change.

> > There was approx 6-7 pieces of fish, and a humungous mound of hot chips..

> > Back when I was in Primary School, we could get a *big* feed of fish and

> > chips for 10c. Enough for two hungry 10-11yo's.

> I can remember going to the movies on a Saturday afternoon for
>
> 35cents(Cdn.); many times there would be two movies showing.
>
> A 24 bottle case of beer for $5.00; now they're $30.00 and upwards.

Right now I can buy a case of Milwaukee's Best Light cans for $9.97.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>In the late 60s we would go to the stupidmarket after work and fill
>>>two carts to the brim (3 kids and assorted pets) very rarely spending
>>>more than Can$50 - now I can barely cover the bottom of one cart for
>>>that !

>>I recall paying about $5 per bag, $20 for two weeks worth of
>>groceries.
>>They had chicken wings on sale often as no one wanted them in those
>>day. They were 5¢ a pound. Cheap until some a-hole in Buffalo ruined
>>that deal for me.
>>

>> I was making about $80 a week at the time and living well. My
>>mortgage was $84, heat bill was about $14, electric $8.

>Somebody pointed out salaries were lower, true enough, but we bought
>our first house here for $26,000.00 in 1969, four bedrooms, basement
>etc. double driveway and large back garden bordering on the woods.
>
>I can't remember how much the utilities were but we definitely felt
>pretty well off.

I bought my first house on Lung Guyland in 1969, 3 br on 1/3 acre
overlooking the LI sound, a panaramic view to Connecticut, paid
$23,200. Heating oil was 19¢/gal, I thought it was expensive. That
house today I'm guessing would go for like $700,000. Back then we fed
two adults and a child for about $20/week and ate well. Occasionally
we splurged, an all you can eat Alaskan king crab dinner at Red
Lobster cost $3.99.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 18, 2013 7:34:43 PM UTC-5, Bryan wrote:
> On Monday, February 18, 2013 9:37:54 AM UTC-6, A Moose in Love wrote:
>
> > On Feb 18, 10:09*am, "I'm back" > wrote:

> > > A Moose in Love > wrote in news:950d7bcf-fce9-

> > > :

> > > LOL!! An oldie but a goodie :-)

> > > Having said that, I can remember when I was about 16, I could walk into a

> > > fish and chip shop with $1, and get a *HUGE* feed of F&C's and a 'family'

> > > size bottle of Coke, and come out with a bit of change.

> > > There was approx 6-7 pieces of fish, and a humungous mound of hot chips.

> > > Back when I was in Primary School, we could get a *big* feed of fish and

> > > chips for 10c. Enough for two hungry 10-11yo's.

> > I can remember going to the movies on a Saturday afternoon for

> > 35cents(Cdn.); many times there would be two movies showing.

> > A 24 bottle case of beer for $5.00; now they're $30.00 and upwards.

> Right now I can buy a case of Milwaukee's Best Light cans for $9.97.
>

> --Bryan

Why would you buy that dreck when you can get The Beast (MB Ice) for the same price?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan > wrote:
> On Monday, February 18, 2013 9:37:54 AM UTC-6, A Moose in Love wrote:
>> On Feb 18, 10:09 am, "I'm back" > wrote:
>>
>>> A Moose in Love > wrote in news:950d7bcf-fce9-

>>> :

>>> LOL!! An oldie but a goodie :-)

>>> Having said that, I can remember when I was about 16, I could walk into a

>>> fish and chip shop with $1, and get a *HUGE* feed of F&C's and a 'family'

>>> size bottle of Coke, and come out with a bit of change.

>>> There was approx 6-7 pieces of fish, and a humungous mound of hot chips.

>>> Back when I was in Primary School, we could get a *big* feed of fish and

>>> chips for 10c. Enough for two hungry 10-11yo's.

>> I can remember going to the movies on a Saturday afternoon for
>>
>> 35cents(Cdn.); many times there would be two movies showing.
>>
>> A 24 bottle case of beer for $5.00; now they're $30.00 and upwards.

> Right now I can buy a case of Milwaukee's Best Light cans for $9.97.
>>

> --Bryan

My 30 pack cases are $15.

Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 17:08:02 -0800 (PST), wrote:

>On Monday, February 18, 2013 7:34:43 PM UTC-5, Bryan wrote:

>> > I can remember going to the movies on a Saturday afternoon for

>> > 35cents(Cdn.); many times there would be two movies showing.

>> > A 24 bottle case of beer for $5.00; now they're $30.00 and upwards.

>> Right now I can buy a case of Milwaukee's Best Light cans for $9.97.
>>

>> --Bryan

>Why would you buy that dreck when you can get The Beast (MB Ice) for the same price?

For the same reason a filthy cocksucker like you can't trim a post.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Other Guy > wrote in
:

> On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 15:55:47 +0000 (UTC), "I'm back" >
> wrote:
>

>>We had $9 cases of beer back in the late 70's early 80's.
>>
>>Now they're averaging about $50.

> How much money do you make now, compared to then??

Yes, I know I'm making more money.... was just musing on what things used
to cost.

A lot of things back then, if converted to todays prices, would still be
cheaper.

--
Peter
Brisbane
Australia

Success isn't so difficult.
Just bite off more than you can chew,
then go do it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:
> On Monday, February 18, 2013 7:34:43 PM UTC-5, Bryan wrote:

>>> I can remember going to the movies on a Saturday afternoon for

>>> 35cents(Cdn.); many times there would be two movies showing.

>>> A 24 bottle case of beer for $5.00; now they're $30.00 and upwards.

>> Right now I can buy a case of Milwaukee's Best Light cans for $9.97.
>>

>> --Bryan

> Why would you buy that dreck when you can get The Beast (MB Ice) for the same price?

Not get drunk!! I always drink light when I go out drinking.

Why, I remember when $20 you could spend the night in Mexico, drink, eat,
get a room, plus more !!

Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/18/2013 11:47 PM, I'm back wrote:
> The Other Guy > wrote in
> :
>
>> On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 15:55:47 +0000 (UTC), "I'm back" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> We had $9 cases of beer back in the late 70's early 80's.
>>>
>>> Now they're averaging about $50.

>> How much money do you make now, compared to then??
>>

> Yes, I know I'm making more money.... was just musing on what things used
> to cost.
>
> A lot of things back then, if converted to todays prices, would still be
> cheaper.

I just remembered that I bought a case (12) of Charles Krug Pinot Noir
for $12 (or $1 per bottle) in 1964. That was about the lowest price I've
ever paid for a premium wine. The ratio in the CPI figures between then
and now is about 7.5. I think a comparable price today would be at least
$15 a bottle so the price of wine has increased by a factor of two over
the CPI. However, the change in price is not as spectacular as the
actual dollar amounts would indicate.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 08:17:38 -0500, James Silverton
> wrote:

-snip-
>I just remembered that I bought a case (12) of Charles Krug Pinot Noir
>for $12 (or $1 per bottle) in 1964. That was about the lowest price I've
>ever paid for a premium wine. The ratio in the CPI figures between then
>and now is about 7.5. I think a comparable price today would be at least
>$15 a bottle so the price of wine has increased by a factor of two over
>the CPI. However, the change in price is not as spectacular as the
>actual dollar amounts would indicate.

I don't think I'd ever heard of Krug until 10 minutes earlier when my
daughter wrote;
>Meg> I went to Napa yesterday and it was beautiful and amazing.
>Meg> If you ever see wine by Charles Krug, or by Mumm Napa please
>Meg> buy it. They were the NICEST people in the entire world. They
>Meg> gave us lots of extra wine and wouldn't take our tips and were
>Meg> so helpful in making sure Ashley and I knew where we were going
>Meg> and that we had lunch planned. It was incredible. The tastings at like
>Meg> 10 dollars a person but we got a sweet pass that made a lot of them free.
>Meg>
>Meg> There was a Zinfandel 2009 by Charles Krug that was spicy and I
>Meg> couldn't figure out if you'd love it or hate it.

Now I have to look for it

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 18, 2013 9:37:31 PM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 17:08:02 -0800 (PST), wrote:

> >> Right now I can buy a case of Milwaukee's Best Light cans for $9.97.

> >> --Bryan

> >Why would you buy that dreck when you can get The Beast (MB Ice) for the same price?

> For the same reason a filthy cocksucker like you can't trim a post.

Gee Sheldon, your kill file is a really weird place. Somehow (?!) I keep popping out of it. Either that or you're a lying turd
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/19/2013 1:57 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 08:17:38 -0500, James Silverton
> > wrote:
>

> -snip-
>> I just remembered that I bought a case (12) of Charles Krug Pinot Noir
>> for $12 (or $1 per bottle) in 1964. That was about the lowest price I've
>> ever paid for a premium wine. The ratio in the CPI figures between then
>> and now is about 7.5. I think a comparable price today would be at least
>> $15 a bottle so the price of wine has increased by a factor of two over
>> the CPI. However, the change in price is not as spectacular as the
>> actual dollar amounts would indicate.

> I don't think I'd ever heard of Krug until 10 minutes earlier when my
> daughter wrote;
>> Meg> I went to Napa yesterday and it was beautiful and amazing.
>> Meg> If you ever see wine by Charles Krug, or by Mumm Napa please
>> Meg> buy it. They were the NICEST people in the entire world. They
>> Meg> gave us lots of extra wine and wouldn't take our tips and were
>> Meg> so helpful in making sure Ashley and I knew where we were going
>> Meg> and that we had lunch planned. It was incredible. The tastings at like
>> Meg> 10 dollars a person but we got a sweet pass that made a lot of them free.
>> Meg>
>> Meg> There was a Zinfandel 2009 by Charles Krug that was spicy and I
>> Meg> couldn't figure out if you'd love it or hate it.

> Now I have to look for it
>
> Jim

Krug has changed ownership since 1964 but I think your daughter is right.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 13:57:01 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> I don't think I'd ever heard of Krug until 10 minutes earlier when my
> daughter wrote;
> >Meg> I went to Napa yesterday and it was beautiful and amazing.
> >Meg> If you ever see wine by Charles Krug, or by Mumm Napa please
> >Meg> buy it. They were the NICEST people in the entire world. They
> >Meg> gave us lots of extra wine and wouldn't take our tips and were
> >Meg> so helpful in making sure Ashley and I knew where we were going
> >Meg> and that we had lunch planned. It was incredible. The tastings at like
> >Meg> 10 dollars a person but we got a sweet pass that made a lot of them free.
> >Meg>
> >Meg> There was a Zinfandel 2009 by Charles Krug that was spicy and I
> >Meg> couldn't figure out if you'd love it or hate it.

> Now I have to look for it

You can't be serious! Charles Krug was the king of jug wines back in
the day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 18, 2013 7:08:02 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> On Monday, February 18, 2013 7:34:43 PM UTC-5, Bryan wrote:
>
> > Right now I can buy a case of Milwaukee's Best Light cans for $9.97.

> > --Bryan

> Why would you buy that dreck when you can get The Beast (MB Ice)
> for the same price?

Because I prefer a lower alcohol beer. MB Ice damned near makes me gag.

If I drinking beer for good taste, it's different, but for cheap, bad
tasting beer, I want low alcohol and little flavor. Lots and lots of
water. I never wake up feeling bad. These days when I drink good beer,
which is in the 5.5-6% range, I punctuate it with ice water. I haven't
had straight liquor in well over a decade, and when I mix drinks, they are
very light.

While I am thrifty, and do realize that MB Ice is way more alcohol for the
same price, it's not worth it if it tastes awful and makes me feel bad the
next day from lack of hydration. MB Light is also rather low in sugar,
having 50% of the carbs of MB Ice, while having ~71% as much alcohol.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/19/2013 3:02 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 13:57:01 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
> wrote:
>
>> I don't think I'd ever heard of Krug until 10 minutes earlier when my
>> daughter wrote;

>> Now I have to look for it

> You can't be serious! Charles Krug was the king of jug wines back in
> the day.

I think you are quite wrong about Krug.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 18, 2013 11:11:01 PM UTC-6, gregz wrote:
> > wrote:
>
> > On Monday, February 18, 2013 7:34:43 PM UTC-5, Bryan wrote:

> >> Right now I can buy a case of Milwaukee's Best Light cans for $9.97.

> >> --Bryan

> > Why would you buy that dreck when you can get The Beast (MB Ice)
> > for the same price?

> Not get drunk!! I always drink light when I go out drinking.
>
> Why, I remember when $20 you could spend the night in Mexico, drink, eat,
>
> get a room, plus more !!

The donkey show.

> Greg

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 19, 2013 3:04:48 PM UTC-5, Bryan wrote:
> On Monday, February 18, 2013 7:08:02 PM UTC-6, wrote:
>
> > On Monday, February 18, 2013 7:34:43 PM UTC-5, Bryan wrote:

> > > Right now I can buy a case of Milwaukee's Best Light cans for $9.97.

> > > --Bryan

> > Why would you buy that dreck when you can get The Beast (MB Ice)

> > for the same price?

> Because I prefer a lower alcohol beer. MB Ice damned near makes me gag.
>

> If I drinking beer for good taste, it's different, but for cheap, bad
>
> tasting beer, I want low alcohol and little flavor. Lots and lots of
>
> water. I never wake up feeling bad. These days when I drink good beer,
>
> which is in the 5.5-6% range, I punctuate it with ice water. I haven't
>
> had straight liquor in well over a decade, and when I mix drinks, they are
>
> very light.
>

> While I am thrifty, and do realize that MB Ice is way more alcohol for the
>
> same price, it's not worth it if it tastes awful and makes me feel bad the
>
> next day from lack of hydration. MB Light is also rather low in sugar,
>
> having 50% of the carbs of MB Ice, while having ~71% as much alcohol.
>

> --Bryan

Fair enough. I'm just the opposite. I need the "bite" the extra alcohol gives it. Sure, it tastes like shit for the first few months, but you get used to it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>> >Why would you buy that dreck when you can get The Beast (MB Ice) for the same price?

>> For the same reason a filthy cocksucker like you can't trim a post.

>Gee Sheldon, your kill file is a really weird place. Somehow (?!) I keep popping out of it. Either that or you're a lying turd

Dimwit davis is hallcinating from overdosing on semen... I don't use a
killfile, never have, and have often said I don't use a killfile.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> >> For the same reason a filthy cocksucker like you can't trim a post.

> >Gee Sheldon, your kill file is a really weird place. Somehow (?!) I keep popping out of it. Either that or you're a lying turd

> Dimwit davis is hallcinating from overdosing on semen... I don't use a
>
> killfile, never have, and have often said I don't use a killfile.

You know, you're right. I remember now. I must have confused you with one of the other turds.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 15:05:57 -0500, James Silverton
> > wrote:
>
>>On 2/19/2013 3:02 PM, sf wrote:

>>> You can't be serious! Charles Krug was the king of jug wines back in
>>> the day.
>>>

>>I think you are quite wrong about Krug.

> I think she is wrong too. I think they have been known for really
> good wines.. I may be wrong on this, but their champagne is considered
> to be extremely good.

Are you perhaps thinking of the French Krug Champagne that
runs in the $200+ range?
<http://www.winezap.com/Krug-Champagne/0/1095>

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 15:05:57 -0500, James Silverton
> wrote:

> On 2/19/2013 3:02 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 13:57:01 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I don't think I'd ever heard of Krug until 10 minutes earlier when my
> >> daughter wrote;

> >> Now I have to look for it

> > You can't be serious! Charles Krug was the king of jug wines back in
> > the day.
> >

> I think you are quite wrong about Krug.

I'm not wrong. It was my favorite brand when I was in college. It
was very high quality, but inexpensive (not cheap, inexpensive). That
was the beginning of California wines being accepted as drinkable
table wines. Before that, everyone bought French wines if they wanted
a "decent" wine for the table. It started off being labeled as
Charles Krug, then CK and CK Mondavi.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/19/2013 4:25 PM, pavane wrote:

> "Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 15:05:57 -0500, James Silverton
>> > wrote:

>>> I think you are quite wrong about Krug.

>> I think she is wrong too. I think they have been known for really
>> good wines.. I may be wrong on this, but their champagne is considered
>> to be extremely good.

> Are you perhaps thinking of the French Krug Champagne that
> runs in the $200+ range?
> <http://www.winezap.com/Krug-Champagne/0/1095>
>
> pavane

Things do change but I don't think Krug made jug wine. Now, Gallo
certainly was and is known for cheap wines but now makes some very
respectable ones too under their Carneros label.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Krug has changed ownership since 1964 but I think your daughter is right.

Not so. The Mondavi family bought Krug in 1943 and has owned
it since then. The name Charles Krug Winery has never changed
since its founding in 1861 when it became the first Napa winery.

In 1966 the two senior sons, Robert and Peter Mondavi, had a
major fight and Robert left the family business to found the very
famous Robert Mondavi winery in Oakville. Peter, with his mother's
blessing, continued on at the Krug winery. Peter was not a really
talented guy, and experimented with a few dumb ideas such as
starting a jug wine business called "C K Mondavi" and producing
a lot of substandard bulk wines. He also continued the Krug label
with some initially passable wine behind it, but it has gotten better
and better as the family employed well-educated talent from the
nearby UC Davis college of winemaking.

Krug now bottles very nice wine, not the equal of Robert Mondavi
(very little is, really) but decent stuff and has always been well
priced. Since Robert Mondavi died a few years ago the families
and their wineries have come together a bit, but are still separate
entities.

Oh yeah, when Robert Mondavi split he used his own name
as the family was using "Krug." He won a significant court battle
to keep the right to his own name so the Krug winery could never
use it. The "C K Mondavi" cheap label on the jugs was laughed
out of the market.

This whole history is a truly sad multi-generational tragedy. The
Krug branch explained part of it in their website:
<http://www.charleskrug.com/index.cfm?method=pages.showPage&pageid=1d13c363-0685-03a7-c6e4-b1e5601e329b>
or <http://tinyurl.com/brqbtms>
and you can find Robert Mondavi's history all over the place.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 14:45:51 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 13:25:45 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> >I'm not wrong. It was my favorite brand when I was in college. It
> >was very high quality, but inexpensive (not cheap, inexpensive). That
> >was the beginning of California wines being accepted as drinkable
> >table wines. Before that, everyone bought French wines if they wanted
> >a "decent" wine for the table. It started off being labeled as
> >Charles Krug, then CK and CK Mondavi.

> Nope. Google it. Two different wineries, totally.

You're saying Robert Mondavi and Charles Krug are two separate
wineries. I know. I'm saying that Robert Mondavi split off from
Charles Krug, leaving it to his brother and father. Charles Krug
bottled varietals in one gallon jugs and I am not wrong.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> On 2/19/2013 4:25 PM, pavane wrote:
>>

>> "Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
>>> On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 15:05:57 -0500, James Silverton

>>> I think she is wrong too. I think they have been known for really
>>> good wines.. I may be wrong on this, but their champagne is considered
>>> to be extremely good.

>> Are you perhaps thinking of the French Krug Champagne that
>> runs in the $200+ range?
>> <http://www.winezap.com/Krug-Champagne/0/1095>
>>
>> pavane

> Things do change but I don't think Krug made jug wine. Now, Gallo
> certainly was and is known for cheap wines but now makes some very
> respectable ones too under their Carneros label.

Yes Gallo is very good today but Krug did make jug wine,
but they called it "C K Mondavi." See my comments above.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 14:45:51 -0700, Christine Dabney
> > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 13:25:45 -0800, sf > wrote:
>>
>> >I'm not wrong. It was my favorite brand when I was in college. It
>> >was very high quality, but inexpensive (not cheap, inexpensive). That
>> >was the beginning of California wines being accepted as drinkable
>> >table wines. Before that, everyone bought French wines if they wanted
>> >a "decent" wine for the table. It started off being labeled as
>> >Charles Krug, then CK and CK Mondavi.

>> Nope. Google it. Two different wineries, totally.

> You're saying Robert Mondavi and Charles Krug are two separate
> wineries. I know. I'm saying that Robert Mondavi split off from
> Charles Krug, leaving it to his brother and father. Charles Krug
> bottled varietals in one gallon jugs and I am not wrong.

You are not wrong. Charles Krug = CK = CK Mondavi. Different
levels of quality or lack of same. The Krug was always decent.
The jug wines were pretty much crap.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 17:10:51 -0500, "pavane" > wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 14:45:51 -0700, Christine Dabney
> > > wrote:

> >> Nope. Google it. Two different wineries, totally.

> > You're saying Robert Mondavi and Charles Krug are two separate
> > wineries. I know. I'm saying that Robert Mondavi split off from
> > Charles Krug, leaving it to his brother and father. Charles Krug
> > bottled varietals in one gallon jugs and I am not wrong.

> You are not wrong. Charles Krug = CK = CK Mondavi. Different
> levels of quality or lack of same. The Krug was always decent.
> The jug wines were pretty much crap.

Well, my taste in wine wasn't exactly developed at that point - but I
thought it was a whole lot better than Annie Green Springs,
Thunderbird and Ripple. They also named them Chablis and Burgundy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Around 1960, a fine dining resto near me served an entire lobster dinner for 5 bucks. The highest drink at the bar was a Grasshopper for a buck and a quarter. Regular cocktails were 75 cents to a dollar. Desserts ranged from a buck to buck and a half -- all homemade daily by the owner's wife. ( Well, I guess SHE was part owner too - sorry for the sexist comment.) I used to wonder how she did it all, but I guess that fee loomed large and many clients passed on dessert, so she kept the place supplied ok by herself.