Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Made a big pot of kale soup last night

Made a big pot of soup last night. It would've been better without the
sausage because the sausages had been in the freezer too long (the soup
is still good tho') I ate 2 big bowlfuls last night and I'm having it
again for lunch today:

6 ounces of Little Sizzler Hot breakfast sausage links, cut into thirds
1 onion, coarse chopped
2 carrots, thick sliced
2 garlic cloves, thin sliced
1 dried chipotle pepper (optional)
2 bay leaves
1 (32 oz) carton of chicken broth
1 (15 oz) can diced no-salt tomatoes
2 potatoes, peeled and small diced
1 (15 oz) can navy or cannellini beans (white beans), with juice
2 big handfuls of chopped kale (about 6 ounces maybe)

Fry the sausage in a stockpot, add the onions and carrots and saute
until the onions are wilted, then add the garlic and saute a little more
but don't let it burn. Add the dried pepper, bay leaves, broth, and
tomatoes and simmer for half an hour. Remove the pepper if you added
one, mince it, and add it back to the pot. Add the potatoes and cook
until they are almost tender. Add the canned beans and the kale, and
cook about 10 or 15 more minutes until the kale is done. Add S&P to
taste (it didn't need any salt because the broth was salty)

--
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

>Made a big pot of soup last night.

I don't think I'd call that a "big" pot of soup, those ingredients
would barely fill a three quart pot. To me a big pot of soup is
minimally 8 quarts but if I'm going to take the time to cook soup from
scratch I like to have a good amount to freeze so I typically use a 16
quart pot. For what you did I'd be likely to add a couple 20 ounce
cans of Progresso bean soup ($1 on sale) to my fried sausage and add
the kale.

>It would've been better without the
>sausage because the sausages had been in the freezer too long (the soup
>is still good tho') I ate 2 big bowlfuls last night and I'm having it
>again for lunch today:

What's your "big" bowlful? My big soup bowl is 28 ounces, and when
hungry I fill it halfway again. Unless you're a very small eater you
barely have enough for lunch again today. To be honest I would not
have risked adding all those good ingredients to that tiny bit of iffy
sausage... I'd have tossed those out in my yard for the crows and
bought some fresh sausage. I'd most likely have ground about 4 pounds
of pork shoulder and made meatballs for my 16 quart pot of soup...
used a couple pounds of dried beans too.

>6 ounces of Little Sizzler Hot breakfast sausage links, cut into thirds
>1 onion, coarse chopped
>2 carrots, thick sliced
>2 garlic cloves, thin sliced
>1 dried chipotle pepper (optional)
>2 bay leaves
>1 (32 oz) carton of chicken broth
>1 (15 oz) can diced no-salt tomatoes
>2 potatoes, peeled and small diced
>1 (15 oz) can navy or cannellini beans (white beans), with juice
>2 big handfuls of chopped kale (about 6 ounces maybe)
>
>Fry the sausage in a stockpot, add the onions and carrots and saute
>until the onions are wilted, then add the garlic and saute a little more
>but don't let it burn. Add the dried pepper, bay leaves, broth, and
>tomatoes and simmer for half an hour. Remove the pepper if you added
>one, mince it, and add it back to the pot. Add the potatoes and cook
>until they are almost tender. Add the canned beans and the kale, and
>cook about 10 or 15 more minutes until the kale is done. Add S&P to
>taste (it didn't need any salt because the broth was salty)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 15, 1:03*pm, Brooklyn1 > wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>
> >Made a big pot of soup last night.

> I don't think I'd call that a "big" pot of soup, those ingredients
> would barely fill a three quart pot. *To me a big pot of soup is
> minimally 8 quarts but if I'm going to take the time to cook soup from
> scratch I like to have a good amount to freeze so I typically use a 16
> quart pot. *For what you did I'd be likely to add a couple 20 ounce
> cans of Progresso bean soup ($1 on sale) to my fried sausage and add
> the kale.
>
> >It would've been better without the
> >sausage because the sausages had been in the freezer too long (the soup
> >is still good tho') *I ate 2 big bowlfuls last night and I'm having it
> >again for lunch today:

> What's your "big" bowlful? *My big soup bowl is 28 ounces, and when
> hungry I fill it halfway again. *Unless you're a very small eater you
> barely have enough for lunch again today. *To be honest I would not
> have risked adding all those good ingredients to that tiny bit of iffy
> sausage... I'd have tossed those out in my yard for the crows and
> bought some fresh sausage. *I'd most likely have ground about 4 pounds
> of pork shoulder and made meatballs for my 16 quart pot of soup...
> used a couple pounds of dried beans too.
>

> >6 ounces of Little Sizzler Hot breakfast sausage links, cut into thirds
> >1 onion, coarse chopped
> >2 carrots, thick sliced
> >2 garlic cloves, thin sliced
> >1 dried chipotle pepper (optional)
> >2 bay leaves
> >1 (32 oz) carton of chicken broth
> >1 (15 oz) can diced no-salt tomatoes
> >2 potatoes, peeled and small diced
> >1 (15 oz) can navy or cannellini beans (white beans), with juice
> >2 big handfuls of chopped kale (about 6 ounces maybe)

> >Fry the sausage in a stockpot, add the onions and carrots and saute
> >until the onions are wilted, then add the garlic and saute a little more
> >but don't let it burn. *Add the dried pepper, bay leaves, broth, and
> >tomatoes and simmer for half an hour. *Remove the pepper if you added
> >one, mince it, and add it back to the pot. *Add the potatoes and cook
> >until they are almost tender. *Add the canned beans and the kale, and
> >cook about 10 or 15 more minutes until the kale is done. *Add S&P to
> >taste (it didn't need any salt because the broth was salty)

28 ounces and then half that again..ya pig!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>> Made a big pot of soup last night.

> I don't think I'd call that a "big" pot of soup, those ingredients
> would barely fill a three quart pot. To me a big pot of soup is
> minimally 8 quarts but if I'm going to take the time to cook soup from
> scratch I like to have a good amount to freeze so I typically use a 16
> quart pot. For what you did I'd be likely to add a couple 20 ounce
> cans of Progresso bean soup ($1 on sale) to my fried sausage and add
> the kale.
>
>> It would've been better without the
>> sausage because the sausages had been in the freezer too long (the soup
>> is still good tho') I ate 2 big bowlfuls last night and I'm having it
>> again for lunch today:

> What's your "big" bowlful? My big soup bowl is 28 ounces, and when
> hungry I fill it halfway again. Unless you're a very small eater you
> barely have enough for lunch again today. To be honest I would not
> have risked adding all those good ingredients to that tiny bit of iffy
> sausage... I'd have tossed those out in my yard for the crows and
> bought some fresh sausage. I'd most likely have ground about 4 pounds
> of pork shoulder and made meatballs for my 16 quart pot of soup...
> used a couple pounds of dried beans too.

Soup bowl says it's 24 ounce, but that's probably when filled to
overflowing. I fill it about 2/3, so call it a pint. Had about 20
ounces for lunch today.

I still work for a living, so I don't have time to get out the 8 or 10
quart pot and fill it up during the week. I do that sometimes on the
weekend. I think 3 quarts is a lot when trying out a new recipe -- for
one. :-) I didn't realize the sausage was stale until I cooked it. At
least it's out of the freezer now. I think there's another package in
there; it's going to the dogs. Little Sizzler Hots (they have a Tabasco
trademark on the label) are really good in jambalaya and other spicy
dishes that need some sausage. I just need to rotate through my freezer
stock a little better instead of letting things drift to the back and
get forgotten.

Bob

just made some kale chips ImStillMags General Cooking 6 27-12-2011 10:00 PM
Kale Soup koko General Cooking 10 18-03-2010 07:25 AM
Caldo Verde (Portuguese Kale Soup) Gunner Mexican Cooking 0 29-01-2007 04:49 PM
Sausage-Kale Soup journey_7x7 Recipes (moderated) 0 15-12-2004 01:46 PM
Portuguese Kale Soup International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 07-03-2004 03:28 PM