Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Heinz sold for $23 Billion

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 08:24:09 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 12:50:37 -0800, sf > wrote:

> >> True. Although I think I'd still prefer a toasted bean sandwich made
> >> with one of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandwich_toaster
> >>
> >> Just out of interest, does anyone know how to make such sandwiches
> >> without one of these gadgets?

> >If I made bean sandwiches, it would have to be without using one of
> >those things because I'm not running out to buy one for any reason.
> >To be honest, I think of them as being used more by Brits than
> >Americans, because they at least mention toasties or whatever it's
> >called in their group from time to time. No one ever seems to bring
> >up the subject here other than saying it was a dust catcher and
> >donated to a second hand shop. Are they popular in Australia too?
> >Never mind, I guess they are... Breville is an Australian company.

> They are popular here - or I should say /were/ popular here years ago,
> they don't seem to be anywhere near as common as they once were.
>
> I'm very hesitant to buy kitchen gadgets myself, unless it's something
> that is extremely useful... all too often these gadgets end up as a
> waste of space in kitchen cupboards.
>
> Hence my question on how to make these toasted sangas witout one

Most of us just use a pan to toast our sandwiches but the edges aren't
sealed and I know that's what you're getting at. I wouldn't be too
worried about eating a warm sandwich and use room temperature to cold
beans (which aren't going anywhere unless they're in soup) for it. My
beans would be Boston Baked, of course, which I prefer over that stuff
in tomato sauce. I've done it a couple of times. Bean sandwiches
aren't bad, but I tried it and moved on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj6dLWU_Dco
or you could use toaster bags
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ73MTUh3FU

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 13:50:04 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 08:24:09 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:
>> I'm very hesitant to buy kitchen gadgets myself, unless it's something
>> that is extremely useful... all too often these gadgets end up as a
>> waste of space in kitchen cupboards.
>>
>> Hence my question on how to make these toasted sangas witout one

>Most of us just use a pan to toast our sandwiches but the edges aren't
>sealed and I know that's what you're getting at. I wouldn't be too
>worried about eating a warm sandwich and use room temperature to cold
>beans (which aren't going anywhere unless they're in soup) for it. My
>beans would be Boston Baked, of course, which I prefer over that stuff
>in tomato sauce. I've done it a couple of times. Bean sandwiches
>aren't bad, but I tried it and moved on.
>
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj6dLWU_Dco
>or you could use toaster bags
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ73MTUh3FU

Those toaster bags look interesting...