Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Home made microwave popcorn

While I know they sell special popping containers for making popcorn in
a microwave, I dont have one. The pre-made bags of microwave popcorn
are costly. compared to plain popcorn. Is there any way to make plain
popcorn in a brown paper bag? (in microwave)
If so, is oil needed or anything?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> While I know they sell special popping containers for making popcorn in
> a microwave, I dont have one. The pre-made bags of microwave popcorn
> are costly. compared to plain popcorn. Is there any way to make plain
> popcorn in a brown paper bag? (in microwave)
> If so, is oil needed or anything?

You can but you risk a fire. It's not recommended but I have done it. Just
put a piece of tape on the bag to close it. Don't add anything. But better
still, just pop it in a pan on your stove with oil. That's the good stuff!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/14/2013 10:02 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> While I know they sell special popping containers for making popcorn in
>> a microwave, I dont have one. The pre-made bags of microwave popcorn
>> are costly. compared to plain popcorn. Is there any way to make plain
>> popcorn in a brown paper bag? (in microwave)
>> If so, is oil needed or anything?

> You can but you risk a fire. It's not recommended but I have done it. Just
> put a piece of tape on the bag to close it. Don't add anything. But better
> still, just pop it in a pan on your stove with oil. That's the good stuff!

I prefer it that way, too. I need a new pot to make popcorn in though.
The one I use has a lid that doesn't fit tight enough and I get
splatters of oil all over the cooktop.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 2/14/2013 10:02 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>> While I know they sell special popping containers for making popcorn in
>>> a microwave, I dont have one. The pre-made bags of microwave popcorn
>>> are costly. compared to plain popcorn. Is there any way to make plain
>>> popcorn in a brown paper bag? (in microwave)
>>> If so, is oil needed or anything?

>> You can but you risk a fire. It's not recommended but I have done it.
>> Just
>> put a piece of tape on the bag to close it. Don't add anything. But
>> better
>> still, just pop it in a pan on your stove with oil. That's the good
>> stuff!
>>

> I prefer it that way, too. I need a new pot to make popcorn in though.
> The one I use has a lid that doesn't fit tight enough and I get splatters
> of oil all over the cooktop.

I use an old Revereware pan. Perfectly fine except that I didn't know not
to put it in the dishwasher so the handle is no longer shiny. Lid isn't
super tight fitting. Just loose enough to let the steam out but not to let
oil splatters out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article om>,
Cheryl > wrote:

> I prefer it that way, too. I need a new pot to make popcorn in though.
> The one I use has a lid that doesn't fit tight enough and I get
> splatters of oil all over the cooktop.

I wouldn't mind a loose lid when making popcorn. It allows steam to
escape. Since I don't have a loose lid, I usually stuff a clean folded
washcloth between the lid and pot once the corn starts to pop. I use a
high sided pot for the popping and spatter isn't a problem.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
> eb.com...
>>>
>>> You can but you risk a fire. It's not recommended but I have done it.
>>> Just
>>> put a piece of tape on the bag to close it. Don't add anything. But
>>> better
>>> still, just pop it in a pan on your stove with oil. That's the good
>>> stuff!
>>>

>> I prefer it that way, too. I need a new pot to make popcorn in though.
>> The one I use has a lid that doesn't fit tight enough and I get splatters
>> of oil all over the cooktop.

> I use an old Revereware pan. Perfectly fine except that I didn't know not
> to put it in the dishwasher so the handle is no longer shiny. Lid isn't
> super tight fitting. Just loose enough to let the steam out but not to let
> oil splatters out.

I could probably use my corningware to make popcorn in. I don't know why
popcorn In a bag would catch fire, but this bags are too thin for butter
or oil. Regular popcorn pouches have butter or oil to help regulate the
microwave heating. Also makes it less likely to blow out your microwave. I
never rally examined a microwave pack. Will do. They might even have
microwave heating strips in there.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 19:02:47 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> It's not recommended but I have done it. Just
> put a piece of tape on the bag to close it. Don't add anything. But better
> still, just pop it in a pan on your stove with oil. That's the good stuff!

I do the popcorn in pan on a stove version and it works every time and
I got nothing the one and only time I tried microwaving popcorn. I
used the same popcorn (Orville's) for both.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://tinyurl.com/bj7ntdl
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I got a real nice popper at TARGET a while back
i still have it
Nordic Ware for $9.00 !
it's lasted 5 years so far
good investment
i use it 2-3 times a month
maybe it can be bought other places[?]

marc
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> But no, I didn't put oil or butter in the brown paper bag. That's an
> invitation for a fire.

Scuse me, but that's downright silly. I make popcorn that way all the time. I
use 1/2 cup of kernels, salted generously, and then about 3 Tb oil. Nuke 2
minutes, remove popped kernels, nuke another 1 minute. No fire, no smoke, no
hazard.

I've never used butter in the nuker. It might get scorched.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/14/2013 10:55 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> I use an old Revereware pan. Perfectly fine except that I didn't know not
> to put it in the dishwasher so the handle is no longer shiny. Lid isn't
> super tight fitting. Just loose enough to let the steam out but not to let
> oil splatters out.

Years ago I at a Christmas gift exchange game at work I got a popcorn
pot with a crank that worked well. At the time I didn't make much
popcorn and it was a single use item that I gave away.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl > wrote:
> On 2/14/2013 10:55 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I use an old Revereware pan. Perfectly fine except that I didn't know not
>> to put it in the dishwasher so the handle is no longer shiny. Lid isn't
>> super tight fitting. Just loose enough to let the steam out but not to let
>> oil splatters out.

> Years ago I at a Christmas gift exchange game at work I got a popcorn pot
> with a crank that worked well. At the time I didn't make much popcorn
> and it was a single use item that I gave away.

I like making the jiffy pop in the aluminum pan. They usually sell them
around campsites.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 2/14/2013 10:55 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I use an old Revereware pan. Perfectly fine except that I didn't know
>> not
>> to put it in the dishwasher so the handle is no longer shiny. Lid isn't
>> super tight fitting. Just loose enough to let the steam out but not to
>> let
>> oil splatters out.

> Years ago I at a Christmas gift exchange game at work I got a popcorn pot
> with a crank that worked well. At the time I didn't make much popcorn and
> it was a single use item that I gave away.

My grandma got us an electric popcorn maker that predated the air poppers.
Although it did pop corn, a pan did it much better and it was a huge waste
of space. We gave it away. I have seen those poppers such as you describe
but my old pan does me just fine. I grew up thinking that you have to shake
the pan constantly. I was told this was to prevent burning. You don't have
to! I only shake mine now if I am popping a larger amount than normal
because then the popped kernels will draw up a few of the unpopped ones
along with them and you will have to shake them down after you empty the
pan. But my parents used to baby-sit the pan, shaking it and moving it
rapidly back and forth over the burner which IMO is just not necessary. But
in those days we likely had old corn. Just like we had old beans and pasta.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gregz" > wrote in message
> Cheryl > wrote:
>> On 2/14/2013 10:55 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> I use an old Revereware pan. Perfectly fine except that I didn't know
>>> not
>>> to put it in the dishwasher so the handle is no longer shiny. Lid isn't
>>> super tight fitting. Just loose enough to let the steam out but not to
>>> let
>>> oil splatters out.

>> Years ago I at a Christmas gift exchange game at work I got a popcorn pot
>> with a crank that worked well. At the time I didn't make much popcorn
>> and it was a single use item that I gave away.

> I like making the jiffy pop in the aluminum pan. They usually sell them
> around campsites.

That's what my grandma made. And although better than no popcorn, I never
saw the appeal. She thought it would be exciting to us kids. It wasn't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 20:59:59 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> That's what my grandma made. And although better than no popcorn, I never
> saw the appeal. She thought it would be exciting to us kids. It wasn't.

I thought it was fun, but I'm easily entertained. I also liked it for
camping, which was probably what it was intended for anyway.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gregz wrote:

> I like making the jiffy pop in the aluminum pan. They usually sell them
> around campsites.

They still make jiffy pop, huh? I remember that from when I was a kid. It
was fun to make - more fun than shaking a pot with lid. :-D

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 03:47:56 -0500, Gary wrote:

> They still make jiffy pop, huh? I remember that from when I was a kid.
> It was fun to make - more fun than shaking a pot with lid. :-D

I see it in the Target dollar spot from time to time. I haven't had it
since I was a kid, either. I did buy some a few years back when I needed
some little dollar Secret Santa presents. A website had printable labels
that fit the Jiffy Pop lid to make it look festive. The recipient told
me her family liked to take it camping. I had never thought of that.

My boys might like to pop some Jiffy Pop. I should pick some up. It
might not be around for long!

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 13:32:09 -0600, Tara >
wrote:

> My boys might like to pop some Jiffy Pop. I should pick some up. It
> might not be around for long!

It would be especially fun, if you have a fire pit - to do it there
one night.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 22:27:33 -0500, Cheryl >
wrote:

>On 2/14/2013 10:02 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>> While I know they sell special popping containers for making popcorn in
>>> a microwave, I dont have one. The pre-made bags of microwave popcorn
>>> are costly. compared to plain popcorn. Is there any way to make plain
>>> popcorn in a brown paper bag? (in microwave)
>>> If so, is oil needed or anything?

>> You can but you risk a fire. It's not recommended but I have done it. Just
>> put a piece of tape on the bag to close it. Don't add anything. But better
>> still, just pop it in a pan on your stove with oil. That's the good stuff!
>>

>I prefer it that way, too. I need a new pot to make popcorn in though.
> The one I use has a lid that doesn't fit tight enough and I get
>splatters of oil all over the cooktop.

I agree it tastes better on the stove, but that means either having a
special popper, or using a pan that always seems to make a big oily mess
all over the stove, and lots of cleanup, plus washing the popper, etc.
I hate housework, washing dishes, etc. If I have to go thru all that
hassle just for some popcorn, I'll just buy the pre-popped stuff in a
bag. I guess our ancestors spent their lives in front of a stove, but
for me, I want it quick and easy, with no cleaning involved. Over 90% of
my cooking is done in a MW these days. Stove cooking always seems to
turn a simple job into a major cleanup job.

Tossing a microwave bag in the MW before bed is fast and easy, and
leaves no mess to cleanup the next day. Using a MW popper still means
having something to wash, which is why I'd rather use a bag. I'd rather
pay the price for the packaged MW popcorn, but if I can save a few
bucks, I will.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 18:00:16 -0800, Marcella Peek

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...popper-recipe/
>index.html
>
>marcella

That seems easy enough....
I kind of question the use of staples though, metal should not be put in
a MW. I think I'll use some tape instead.

I never heard of jalapeno seasoning mix. I wonder who sells that? I
dont know if I'd like it on popcorn, but it sounds like it would be good
on some foods.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 18:00:16 -0800, Marcella Peek
> > wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> wrote:
>>
>>> While I know they sell special popping containers for making popcorn in
>>> a microwave, I dont have one. The pre-made bags of microwave popcorn
>>> are costly. compared to plain popcorn. Is there any way to make plain
>>> popcorn in a brown paper bag? (in microwave)
>>> If so, is oil needed or anything?

>> Sure. It's quite easy. Here's the Alton Brown recipe though I skip the
>> jalapeno seasoning mix.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...popper-recipe/
>> index.html
>>
>> marcella

> That seems easy enough....
> I kind of question the use of staples though, metal should not be put in
> a MW. I think I'll use some tape instead.
>
> I never heard of jalapeno seasoning mix. I wonder who sells that? I
> dont know if I'd like it on popcorn, but it sounds like it would be good
> on some foods.

Small Steel staples are too small to create much of a problem. Antennas
need to be certain lengths to work, or conduct.

Greg