Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Store Brand Blah!

One of the things we learned post-Katrina is that there is life without
the national brands we prefer. We were glad to have anything the hardy
truckers could get in here. With the bridges and rails out, the power out
and only some cold water, mealtime was an adventure.
That lesson taught me that maybe there were other brands and even store
brands that we as good as, maybe better and really disgusting.
Just because I wasn't paying attention, I picked up store-brand
pimiento. It honestly never crossed my mind that it was an essential
ingredient to my Grand Production of pimiento cheese. Good for a tea party,
a sandwich, a celery stuffing or just with crackers if you're weary and
hungry. Our bachelor neighbors who look forward to a tub of pimiento cheese
from here will never taste this one. Blah. Yuck and phooey. You have been
warned. Any other 'as good as' we need to avoid? Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 21:36:23 -0600, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

> One of the things we learned post-Katrina is that there is life without
>the national brands we prefer. We were glad to have anything the hardy
>truckers could get in here. With the bridges and rails out, the power out
>and only some cold water, mealtime was an adventure.
> That lesson taught me that maybe there were other brands and even store
>brands that we as good as, maybe better and really disgusting.
> Just because I wasn't paying attention, I picked up store-brand
>pimiento. It honestly never crossed my mind that it was an essential
>ingredient to my Grand Production of pimiento cheese. Good for a tea party,
>a sandwich, a celery stuffing or just with crackers if you're weary and
>hungry. Our bachelor neighbors who look forward to a tub of pimiento cheese
>from here will never taste this one. Blah. Yuck and phooey. You have been
>warned. Any other 'as good as' we need to avoid? Polly

have you ever tried subbing from a jar of roasted peppers? I was just
wondering how that would work out since the taste is similar.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message
> One of the things we learned post-Katrina is that there is life without
> the national brands we prefer. We were glad to have anything the hardy
> truckers could get in here. With the bridges and rails out, the power out
> and only some cold water, mealtime was an adventure.
> That lesson taught me that maybe there were other brands and even store
> brands that we as good as, maybe better and really disgusting.
> Just because I wasn't paying attention, I picked up store-brand
> pimiento. It honestly never crossed my mind that it was an essential
> ingredient to my Grand Production of pimiento cheese. Good for a tea
> party, a sandwich, a celery stuffing or just with crackers if you're weary
> and hungry. Our bachelor neighbors who look forward to a tub of pimiento
> cheese from here will never taste this one. Blah. Yuck and phooey. You
> have been warned. Any other 'as good as' we need to avoid? Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message
> One of the things we learned post-Katrina is that there is life without
> the national brands we prefer. We were glad to have anything the hardy
> truckers could get in here. With the bridges and rails out, the power out
> and only some cold water, mealtime was an adventure.
> That lesson taught me that maybe there were other brands and even store
> brands that we as good as, maybe better and really disgusting.
> Just because I wasn't paying attention, I picked up store-brand
> pimiento. It honestly never crossed my mind that it was an essential
> ingredient to my Grand Production of pimiento cheese. Good for a tea
> party, a sandwich, a celery stuffing or just with crackers if you're weary
> and hungry. Our bachelor neighbors who look forward to a tub of pimiento
> cheese from here will never taste this one. Blah. Yuck and phooey. You
> have been warned. Any other 'as good as' we need to avoid? Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message
> One of the things we learned post-Katrina is that there is life without
> the national brands we prefer. We were glad to have anything the hardy
> truckers could get in here. With the bridges and rails out, the power out
> and only some cold water, mealtime was an adventure.
> That lesson taught me that maybe there were other brands and even store
> brands that we as good as, maybe better and really disgusting.
> Just because I wasn't paying attention, I picked up store-brand
> pimiento. It honestly never crossed my mind that it was an essential
> ingredient to my Grand Production of pimiento cheese. Good for a tea
> party, a sandwich, a celery stuffing or just with crackers if you're weary
> and hungry. Our bachelor neighbors who look forward to a tub of pimiento
> cheese from here will never taste this one. Blah. Yuck and phooey. You
> have been warned. Any other 'as good as' we need to avoid? Polly

I generally like the store brands. Have noticed that some of the condensed
soups are a little more salty and sometimes have things that I don't want in
there. But they are usually so much cheaper and I do eat them infrequently
so I still usually buy them. The only real disappointment that stands out
in my mind is the Hytop refried beans. Not exactly a store brand but
perhaps an off-brand. The beans were good tasting but very runny. Odd
because their canned chili was the best! But then they seem to have quit
making it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 20:46:10 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 21:36:23 -0600, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:
>
>> One of the things we learned post-Katrina is that there is life without
>>the national brands we prefer. We were glad to have anything the hardy
>>truckers could get in here. With the bridges and rails out, the power out
>>and only some cold water, mealtime was an adventure.
>> That lesson taught me that maybe there were other brands and even store
>>brands that we as good as, maybe better and really disgusting.
>> Just because I wasn't paying attention, I picked up store-brand
>>pimiento. It honestly never crossed my mind that it was an essential
>>ingredient to my Grand Production of pimiento cheese. Good for a tea party,
>>a sandwich, a celery stuffing or just with crackers if you're weary and
>>hungry. Our bachelor neighbors who look forward to a tub of pimiento cheese
>>from here will never taste this one. Blah. Yuck and phooey. You have been
>>warned. Any other 'as good as' we need to avoid? Polly
>>

>have you ever tried subbing from a jar of roasted peppers? I was just
>wondering how that would work out since the taste is similar.

I can't taste the difference. I've often wondered what a pimento
pepper had that those roasted ones don't.

I prefer [the flavor of] roasting my own over a stove burner to
pimentos. I would use a torch if I kept one in the kitchen -- but
it is a bit of a pain-- and you don't get the juice.

Jim