Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Basmati rice disappointment

Invited to a friend's vacation getaway for a weekend, each of us was
to cook a meal. My wife and I planned to make chicken curry, but found
when we got there that we had left the basmati rice at home.

No problem, right? In multiculti California, surely all supermarkets
carry basmati, right? And sure enough, the nearest Safeway had Hinode
brand basmati, from Pakistan.

But when we cooked it up, there was no characteristic aroma. And the
same thing when I cooked some up at home, this past weekend. Might as
well have bought regular long grain.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 13:04:03 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888 wrote:
>
>> But when we cooked it up, there was no characteristic aroma. And the
>> same thing when I cooked some up at home, this past weekend. Might as
>> well have bought regular long grain.

> I've been getting burned on Jasmine rice a lot lately. A brand that
> was good last year often isn't very good the next year.
>
> About 5 years ago I got some loose bulk rice from a food pantry. It
> had different sized kernels in it, some of the kernels were differtn
> shades of yellow and brown - It looked like floor scrapings. It was
> the best Jasmine rice I've ever had. I've been spoiled for rice ever
> since then.

The brown Basmati that I got at Costco is soooo good! I wasn't really
expecting a lot seeing as how it was so cheap. But Costco stuff usually is
very good quality. The only real drawback was the large size of the bag. I
put some of it in a lidded container and left the rest in the bag so that I
will have the cooking instructions.

My favorite rice is still the Texmati though and I did get some today with a
coupon. I am set with rice for a very long time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 13:04:03 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888 wrote:
>
>> But when we cooked it up, there was no characteristic aroma. And the
>> same thing when I cooked some up at home, this past weekend. Might as
>> well have bought regular long grain.

> I've been getting burned on Jasmine rice a lot lately. A brand that
> was good last year often isn't very good the next year.
>
> About 5 years ago I got some loose bulk rice from a food pantry. It
> had different sized kernels in it, some of the kernels were differtn
> shades of yellow and brown - It looked like floor scrapings. It was
> the best Jasmine rice I've ever had. I've been spoiled for rice ever
> since then.

The brown Basmati that I got at Costco is soooo good! I wasn't really
expecting a lot seeing as how it was so cheap. But Costco stuff usually is
very good quality. The only real drawback was the large size of the bag. I
put some of it in a lidded container and left the rest in the bag so that I
will have the cooking instructions.

My favorite rice is still the Texmati though and I did get some today with a
coupon. I am set with rice for a very long time.

That's if the Weevil's don't get to it first !

Barry Oz

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 21:28:53 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> My favorite rice is still the Texmati though and I did get some today
>> with a
>> coupon. I am set with rice for a very long time.

> The last two batches of Texmati I have bought have been regular old
> $.40/lb rice at 4x the cost.

Uh oh. I haven't bought any for a long time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bigbazza" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
>
> Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 13:04:03 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888 wrote:
>>
>>> But when we cooked it up, there was no characteristic aroma. And the
>>> same thing when I cooked some up at home, this past weekend. Might as
>>> well have bought regular long grain.

>> I've been getting burned on Jasmine rice a lot lately. A brand that
>> was good last year often isn't very good the next year.
>>
>> About 5 years ago I got some loose bulk rice from a food pantry. It
>> had different sized kernels in it, some of the kernels were differtn
>> shades of yellow and brown - It looked like floor scrapings. It was
>> the best Jasmine rice I've ever had. I've been spoiled for rice ever
>> since then.

> The brown Basmati that I got at Costco is soooo good! I wasn't really
> expecting a lot seeing as how it was so cheap. But Costco stuff usually
> is
> very good quality. The only real drawback was the large size of the bag.
> put some of it in a lidded container and left the rest in the bag so that
> will have the cooking instructions.
>
> My favorite rice is still the Texmati though and I did get some today with
> coupon. I am set with rice for a very long time.
>

> That's if the Weevil's don't get to it first !

Hopefully they won't. Everything is sealed now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/11/2013 4:04 PM, spamtrap1888 wrote:

> Invited to a friend's vacation getaway for a weekend, each of us was
> to cook a meal. My wife and I planned to make chicken curry, but found
> when we got there that we had left the basmati rice at home.
>
> No problem, right? In multiculti California, surely all supermarkets
> carry basmati, right? And sure enough, the nearest Safeway had Hinode
> brand basmati, from Pakistan.
>
> But when we cooked it up, there was no characteristic aroma. And the
> same thing when I cooked some up at home, this past weekend. Might as
> well have bought regular long grain.

Bummer. The first time I cooked basmati rice, Mahatma brand, the thing
that surprised me was the aroma. Now that it's the only kind I use, I
think I'm getting immune to the smell. Same brand, but not that "WOW"
that I got the first couple of times cooking it. How did it taste
otherwise? Basmati to me seems to be a little firmer than plain white
rice. No real taste difference IMO.

Basmati Rice machenka eriksen Diabetic 1 09-12-2013 07:41 PM
Basmati Rice [email protected] Diabetic 29 08-12-2013 09:59 PM
Cooking Basmati rice? Corey Richardson[_4_] General Cooking 11 05-12-2008 10:38 PM
Basmati Rice? Ed Nuxters General Cooking 20 20-12-2004 02:58 PM
Basmati Rice Stark General Cooking 2 07-11-2004 06:31 PM