Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Has anyone made any Hot Pepper Vodka?

I'd like to try to make a hot pepper vodka, and want it HOT.
I found the recipe below online.
It gives me an idea what needs to be done, but there are a few things
that puzzle me.

1. Why do they use one red and one green jalapeno? Do they have
different flavors?

2. What are serrano peppers? What if I used a habenero?

3. What's the point of using both fresh and dried peppers?

4. Why use a Brita water filter to filter the vodka, it should be pure
right out of the bottle?

Like I said this gives me an idea how to do it, but I'd like to simplify
the recipe. For one reason, the hot pepper selection at my local rural
grocery store are limited. And I dont own or really intend to buy a
Brita water filter just to make one bottle of this.

One last thing, after the peppers are removed, can they be used for
anything other than toss them? I'd think they would be potent, like
when the local bar puts marchino cherries in vodka, which are quite
potent.

---
Recipe from
http://blog.mlive.com/great-tastes/2...epper_vod.html

INGREDIENTS:
• 1 bottle (750 milliliters) 80-proof vodka
• 1 red jalapeno pepper, halved
• 1 green jalapeno pepper, halved
• 2 serrano peppers, halved
• 2-3 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
• 2 dried hot red peppers
• Peel from 1/2 lemon
• 3-4 red onion rings

PREPARATION: Using a Brita water filter, run the vodka through the
filter at least 4 times; set aside the vodka.

Place jalapeno peppers, serrano peppers, garlic, dried peppers, lemon
peel and onion rings in a clean glass jar with sealable lid. Add
filtered vodka. Seal and store in a dark place 1 week to 10 days to
infuse flavors.

Strain through an unbleached paper coffee filter. Pour flavored vodka
into a clean bottle; seal, store and use as desired.

Makes 1 bottle (750 milliliters).

Nutrition information per 1 1/2-ounce serving: 102 calories, 0 protein,
0 fat, 0 carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 0 cholesterol, 0 sodium

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> I'd like to try to make a hot pepper vodka, and want it HOT.

>> Good idea.
>>
>>> 1. Why do they use one red and one green jalapeno? Do they have
>>> different flavors?

>> Red's hotter, green tastes greener, but you might only taste the
>> spicyness anyway.
>>
>>> 2. What are serrano peppers? What if I used a habenero?

>> I think habaneros are much hotter. I'd use a habanero.
>>
>>> 3. What's the point of using both fresh and dried peppers?

>> I'd only use fresh if I had them.
>>
>>> 4. Why use a Brita water filter to filter the vodka, it should be pure
>>> right out of the bottle?

>> What a weird idea to put vodka through a filter.

> I think you're thinking along the same lines as me. Just use fresh
> peppers, jalepenos and habaneros, and probably the garlic as mentioned
> for flavor. I'm not sure about the lemon or onions, but I supposed that
> can be tried. And I thought that filtering the vodka was very weird and
> unnecessary.

I make mine by inspection: one bottle of vodka, one crushed dried pepper
(Ancho usually). Soak bottle in freezer, taste after a day. If OK,
filter off pepper, replace bottle in freezer.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

1. Red Japs are ripe and green ones aint. Think the heat and flavor difference would be neglible. Red would give much better color than green.

2. Serranos are long and skinny. Slightly different flavor profile from Japs and maybe slighly hotter. Also come in green and red.

3. Dried peppers should have more concentrated flavor.

4. Filtering hooch through the Brita Pitcher is not a good plan and totally superfluous as you say.

5. When the veggies come out of an extended stay in the liquor they are generally tough as leather and worthless for other purposes.

6. Habs are much hotter than the other two. Those who are a total glutton for punishment might consider using Ghost Peppers
Naga Bhut Jolokia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

7. If your soaking raw veggies in liquor that is a hundred proof or less..it would be good to invert the jars each day or two as they can set a ferment in the jar specifically those which float around on top of the liquid. Once they sink everything is ok.

8. Straining through paper coffee filters is a worthless slow poke pain in the coola. Use a permanent coffee filter. Will filter it fine and do not take a week to get ir done.

9. Best of fortunes. Holler back if you need any more good advice..lol.

PS Edit. This seems like a fairly rational recipe. Now I would not bother to clean split and de-seed the peppers. Just wash them and throw them n the hooch whole and intact. They will donate all they have just fine and removing those things will lower your heat level.

http://www.mademan.com/mm/how-infuse-vodka-peppers.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
[...]

Recipe: Homemade hot pepper vodka | MLive.com

[...]

Last edited by bigwheel : 11-02-2013 at 06:42 PM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 12:18:45 -0500, James Silverton

wrote:

>>> Good idea.

>>> Red's hotter, green tastes greener, but you might only taste the
>>> spicyness anyway.

>>> I think habaneros are much hotter. I'd use a habanero.

>>> I'd only use fresh if I had them.

>>> What a weird idea to put vodka through a filter.

>> I think you're thinking along the same lines as me. Just use fresh
>> peppers, jalepenos and habaneros, and probably the garlic as mentioned
>> for flavor. I'm not sure about the lemon or onions, but I supposed that
>> can be tried. And I thought that filtering the vodka was very weird and
>> unnecessary.
>>

>I make mine by inspection: one bottle of vodka, one crushed dried pepper
>(Ancho usually). Soak bottle in freezer, taste after a day. If OK,
>filter off pepper, replace bottle in freezer.

Why do you put the bottle in the freezer?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 18:05:31 +0000, bigwheel
> wrote:

>1. Red Japs are ripe and green ones aint. Think the heat and flavor
>difference would be neglible. Red would give much better color than
>green.
>
>2. Serranos are long and skinny. Slightly different flavor profile from
>Japs and maybe slighly hotter. Also come in green and red.
>
>3. Dried peppers should have more concentrated flavor.
>
>4. Filtering hooch through the Brita Pitcher is not a good plan and
>totally superfluous as you say.
>
>5. When the veggies come out of an extended stay in the liquor they are
>generally tough as leather and worthless for other purposes.
>
>6. Habs are much hotter than the other two. Those who are a total
>glutton for punishment might consider using Ghost Peppers
>'Naga Bhut Jolokia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia'
>(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naga_Bhut_Jolokia)
>
>7. If your soaking raw veggies in liquor that is a hundred proof or
>less..it would be good to invert the jars each day or two as they can
>set a ferment in the jar specifically those which float around on top of
>the liquid. Once they sink everything is ok.
>
>8. Straining through paper coffee filters is a worthless slow poke pain
>in the coola. Use a permanent coffee filter. Will filter it fine and do
>not take a week to get ir done.
>
>9. Best of fortunes. Holler back if you need any more good advice..lol.
>
>PS Edit. This seems like a fairly rational recipe. Now I would not
>bother to clean split and de-seed the peppers. Just wash them and throw
>them n the hooch whole and intact. They will donate all they have just
>fine and removing those things will lower your heat level.
>
>http://www.mademan.com/mm/how-infuse-vodka-peppers.html

It sounds like you've done some of this before... Lots of helpful info.
Thanks!

That weblink is good too. I think I'm about ready to give it a try.
Just need to get the peppers, and wont have to buy all kinds of filters
and stuff....

Some of the final product will go into some spaghetti sauce, the rest
will be for drinking!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 11, 4:48*am, wrote:
> I'd like to try to make a hot pepper vodka, and want it HOT.
> I found the recipe below online.
> It gives me an idea what needs to be done, but there are a few things
> that puzzle me.
>
> 1. Why do they use one red and one green jalapeno? *Do they have
> different flavors?
>
> 2. What are serrano peppers? *What if I used a habenero?
>
> 3. What's the point of using both fresh and dried peppers?
>
> 4. Why use a Brita water filter to filter the vodka, it should be pure
> right out of the bottle?
>
> Like I said this gives me an idea how to do it, but I'd like to simplify
> the recipe. *For one reason, the hot pepper selection at my local rural
> grocery store are limited. *And I dont own or really intend to buy a
> Brita water filter just to make one bottle of this.
>
> One last thing, after the peppers are removed, can they be used for
> anything other than toss them? *I'd think they would be potent, like
> when the local bar puts marchino cherries in vodka, which are quite
> potent.
>
> ---
> Recipe fromhttp://blog.mlive.com/great-tastes/2009/06/recipe_homemade_hot_pepper...
>
> INGREDIENTS:
> 1 bottle (750 milliliters) 80-proof vodka
> 1 red jalapeno pepper, halved
> 1 green jalapeno pepper, halved
> 2 serrano peppers, halved
> 2-3 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
> 2 dried hot red peppers
> Peel from 1/2 lemon
> 3-4 red onion rings
>
> PREPARATION: Using a Brita water filter, run the vodka through the
> filter at least 4 times; set aside the vodka.
>
> Place jalapeno peppers, serrano peppers, garlic, dried peppers, lemon
> peel and onion rings in a clean glass jar with sealable lid. Add
> filtered vodka. Seal and store in a dark place 1 week to 10 days to
> infuse flavors.
>
> Strain through an unbleached paper coffee filter. Pour flavored vodka
> into a clean bottle; seal, store and use as desired.
>
> Makes 1 bottle (750 milliliters).
>
> Nutrition information per 1 1/2-ounce serving: 102 calories, 0 protein,
> 0 fat, 0 carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 0 cholesterol, 0 sodium

in 1973, while a young lad, I had the privilege of drinking Ratzenputz
(in the dialect of Karlsruhe, Germany) at the Club Germania in
Karlsruhe. Ratzenputz means rat poison. That was the slang term for
hot pepper vodka. I would never bother drinking it again.
I have also never drank tequila since 1974 for reasons which I won't
go into here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> I think you're thinking along the same lines as me. Just use fresh
>>> peppers, jalepenos and habaneros, and probably the garlic as mentioned
>>> for flavor. I'm not sure about the lemon or onions, but I supposed that
>>> can be tried. And I thought that filtering the vodka was very weird and
>>> unnecessary.
>>>

>> I make mine by inspection: one bottle of vodka, one crushed dried pepper
>> (Ancho usually). Soak bottle in freezer, taste after a day. If OK,
>> filter off pepper, replace bottle in freezer.

> Why do you put the bottle in the freezer?

Because I am doing the soaking by inspection and I keep my pepper vodka
in the freezer at the temperature I like to drink it [or slug a mouthful
back :-) ]

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 03:48:29 -0600, wrote:

> I'd like to try to make a hot pepper vodka, and want it HOT.

Yes.

> I found the recipe below online.
> It gives me an idea what needs to be done, but there are a few things
> that puzzle me.
>
> 1. Why do they use one red and one green jalapeno? Do they have
> different flavors?

I've only used green. I think it was jalapeno, maybe it was a
serrano. In any case, it turned out I didn't like pepper vodka. I
wouldn't hesitate to make it again if I ever wanted to make bloody
marys, but I don't drink it straight - so I have no reason to repeat
it any time soon.

> 2. What are serrano peppers? What if I used a habenero?

Pick one, any one. You want it hot, so pick the hottest one you can
find and make anywhere from a cup to half a bottle. The reason I'm
not telling you to make the entire bottle is so you'll have something
to dilute it with if it's too hot. I was surprised by how hot it got
so quickly.

> 3. What's the point of using both fresh and dried peppers?

None, AFAIC, but maybe you don't have fresh peppers or your stores
only carry mild - so I can see why they would call for dried then. I
haven't tried it that way, because I don't think the dried peppers
that you'd put on pizza are hot enough for that.

> 4. Why use a Brita water filter to filter the vodka, it should be pure
> right out of the bottle?

I can understand the need to filter if the only pepper you had on hand
was ground cayenne; then you want to filter it out.

The more you filter cheap vodka, the less "vodka" flavor it has...
which can work for making it seem more like the expensive stuff. I
don't mind the flavor of vodka, I'd like to try the filter technique
with cheap tequila sometime... that stuff is nasty tasting.

> Like I said this gives me an idea how to do it, but I'd like to simplify
> the recipe.

I don't know why that recipe calls for so many ingredients. Why put
lemon in pepper vodka? Lemon vodka is a separate flavor. All you
need is fresh, hot pepper cut in half... how many is up to you. You
don't need to let it sit very long either. I put half a green chili
in a cup or so of vodka, let it sit in the freezer for an hour or
overnight in the refrigerator and it was hot enough for me.

> For one reason, the hot pepper selection at my local rural
> grocery store are limited. And I dont own or really intend to buy a
> Brita water filter just to make one bottle of this.

Don't buy skid row vodka (don't sacrifice the expensive stuff to this
either) and skip the Brita. The coffee filter suggestion is good
enough if you *must* filter, but straining through a fine sieve would
work for the recipe below. You're experimenting, not going into
production.

> One last thing, after the peppers are removed, can they be used for
> anything other than toss them? I'd think they would be potent, like
> when the local bar puts marchino cherries in vodka, which are quite
> potent.

I don't see why they couldn't be used in something else, after all -
they were preserved in vodka (there's a reason why "pickled" is a
euphemism for drunk).
> ---
> Recipe from

http://blog.mlive.com/great-tastes/2...epper_vod.html

> INGREDIENTS:
> • 1 bottle (750 milliliters) 80-proof vodka
> • 1 red jalapeno pepper, halved
> • 1 green jalapeno pepper, halved
> • 2 serrano peppers, halved
> • 2-3 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
> • 2 dried hot red peppers
> • Peel from 1/2 lemon
> • 3-4 red onion rings
>
> PREPARATION: Using a Brita water filter, run the vodka through the
> filter at least 4 times; set aside the vodka.
>
> Place jalapeno peppers, serrano peppers, garlic, dried peppers, lemon
> peel and onion rings in a clean glass jar with sealable lid. Add
> filtered vodka. Seal and store in a dark place 1 week to 10 days to
> infuse flavors.
>
> Strain through an unbleached paper coffee filter. Pour flavored vodka
> into a clean bottle; seal, store and use as desired.
>
> Makes 1 bottle (750 milliliters).
>
> Nutrition information per 1 1/2-ounce serving: 102 calories, 0 protein,
> 0 fat, 0 carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 0 cholesterol, 0 sodium

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 04:58:06 -0800 (PST), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

>in 1973, while a young lad, I had the privilege of drinking Ratzenputz
>(in the dialect of Karlsruhe, Germany) at the Club Germania in
>Karlsruhe. Ratzenputz means rat poison. That was the slang term for
>hot pepper vodka. I would never bother drinking it again.
>I have also never drank tequila since 1974 for reasons which I won't
>go into here.

I dont like tequila. Dont like the way it makes me feel, and dont care
to drink something that has a worm in it either. It's just nasty stuff!

The local liquor store does not sell any pepper vodka. I checked with
them. It must all be home made, unless some really huge liquor stores
sell it? Our local one is not that big since it's in a small town.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 18:02:34 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>I OTOH, usually drink liquor straight. The only mixed drink I usually
>have is gin and tonic. I don't usually drink vodka but I keep a bottle
>in the freezer and I occasionally have shot, knocking it back ice cold.
>
>I also keep a bottle of Akvavit in my freezer. My wife and I toast my
>late father with it on his birthday and on Father's Day. Back in 1943
>his plane had been shot down over Denmark and had been the only one of
>his crew who managed bail out of the burning plane. He walked across the
>island of Sjaelland to Copenhagen and made contact with the Danish
>Resistance who made arrangements to smuggle him over to Sweden by kayak.
>He was freezing his butt off in the leaky boat and the Resistance
>worker handed him a bottle of schnapps.
>
>Keep it in the freezer and knock it back in ice cold shots.

I like Schnapps straight, and enjoy all the flavors. I like other good
tasing stuff straight, like Irish Creme, Southern Comfort, etc. But
straight vodka or even whisky is not something I care for straight.

That's a great story about your father. I enjoyed reading it.

What is Akvavit ? Never heard of it...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 18:19:53 -0500, James Silverton
> wrote:

>> The local liquor store does not sell any pepper vodka. I checked with
>> them. It must all be home made, unless some really huge liquor stores
>> sell it? Our local one is not that big since it's in a small town.
>>

>It's made in Russia and I've seen it in the county liquor stores.
>Absolut makes what they call "Peppar Vodka" but, from the taste, I think
>they use green sweet peppers.
>
>--
>Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)
>
>Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Russia is known for Vodka, so I'm sure they have more varieties. Green
sweet peppers dont sound too tasty, but I wont judge it till I try it.
If I can find it.

However, I looked it up.
http://www.drinksmixer.com/desc145.html
says it's made from - Absolut Peppar is a common vodka containing a
complex taste of green jalapeno peppers and fiery capsicum spices like
paprika and chili.

More info and a photo of a bottle -
Says it's made in Sweden.
http://vodka.findthebest.com/l/330/Absolut-Peppar-Vodka

How to cook with it -
http://www.ehow.com/how_8537931_cook...par-vodka.html

Their own website homepage
http://www.pernod-ricard-usa.com
(this site generated loading errors, but still loaded with problems).

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-02-12 23:02:34 +0000, Dave Smith said:

>> I dont drink straight vodka anyhow. I'll do a screwdriver, or woth
>> tomato juice. This hot stuff will get mixed with tomato juice, but I
>> will try a sip of it plain.

> I OTOH, usually drink liquor straight. The only mixed drink I usually
> have is gin and tonic. I don't usually drink vodka but I keep a
> bottle in the freezer and I occasionally have shot, knocking it back
> ice cold. I also keep a bottle of Akvavit in my freezer.

Mine is, by and large, the same approach and has been for 30 years. I
keep a bottle or two of aquavit (home infused or otherwise) in the
freezer. With other spirits, I go straight or almost straight: cognac,
armagnac, gin martini's (with a little vermouth), tequila, bourbon
(sometimes with a splash of soda), etc.

> My wife and I toast my late father with it on his birthday and on
> Father's Day. Back in 1943 his plane had been shot down over Denmark
> and had been the only one of his crew who managed bail out of the
> burning plane. He walked across the island of Sjaelland to Copenhagen
> and made contact with the Danish Resistance who made arrangements to
> smuggle him over to Sweden by kayak. He was freezing his butt off in
> the leaky boat and the Resistance worker handed him a bottle of
> schnapps.
>
> Keep it in the freezer and knock it back in ice cold shots.

Yum.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13/02/2013 1:24 AM, wrote:

>> I also keep a bottle of Akvavit in my freezer. My wife and I toast my
>> late father with it on his birthday and on Father's Day. Back in 1943
>> his plane had been shot down over Denmark and had been the only one of
>> his crew who managed bail out of the burning plane. He walked across the
>> island of Sjaelland to Copenhagen and made contact with the Danish
>> Resistance who made arrangements to smuggle him over to Sweden by kayak.
>> He was freezing his butt off in the leaky boat and the Resistance
>> worker handed him a bottle of schnapps.
>>
>> Keep it in the freezer and knock it back in ice cold shots.
>>

> I like Schnapps straight, and enjoy all the flavors. I like other good
> tasing stuff straight, like Irish Creme, Southern Comfort, etc. But
> straight vodka or even whisky is not something I care for straight.
>
> That's a great story about your father. I enjoyed reading it.

Thank you.

> What is Akvavit ? Never heard of it...

It is a schnappes infused with herbs, the most common one being caraway.
It is usually served ice cold. The first time I went to Denmark I
took some guys out for a meal after then had picked me up at the
airport, taken me for a scenic tour and then drove me to the hotel. The
menu was in Danish and I asked them to order me a traditional Danish
meal. It was smoked eel smorsbrot.... an open face sandwich with a
dollop of egg salad and some smoked eel on dark bread, with beer and
Akvavit. It was a great combination of flavours.

When I was in Sweden for midsummer a few years ago they had sample packs
of Swedish and Danish Akvavit. We had to try them all. I don't remember
which was best. ;-)

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

So many good rabbit trails for a hunting dawg to chase around here. Great story on the Kayak smugging and Pepper Vodka. For the young man who is endeavoring to soak the peppers..will say there is a old bright world out there for folks who make all kinds of stuff out of similar ingredients. Bacon seems to be the current rage. There are few basic health rules that need to be observed..very few..alchyhol is a wonderful bug killer..lol. Anyway there are several excellent foums where recipes and strategies are discussed ad infinitum. That usually be on the hooch making site. They apparently get their vodky cheaper than us...have more room to expuriment etc. lol. I have soaked every type of rabbit food known to man..cept peppers. Far as I like hot flavored hooch is Fireball. Now thats tasty and give a drunk person fresh cinnamon breath. I got a killer recipe for that which I gladly give out free by email with only five bucks to cover the shipping and handling. What a deal huh? Let me know..lol. One hint it aint made out of tater juice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 18:08:45 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Thank you.
>
>> What is Akvavit ? Never heard of it...

>It is a schnappes infused with herbs, the most common one being caraway.
> It is usually served ice cold. The first time I went to Denmark I
>took some guys out for a meal after then had picked me up at the
>airport, taken me for a scenic tour and then drove me to the hotel. The
>menu was in Danish and I asked them to order me a traditional Danish
>meal. It was smoked eel smorsbrot.... an open face sandwich with a
>dollop of egg salad and some smoked eel on dark bread, with beer and
>Akvavit. It was a great combination of flavours.
>

>When I was in Sweden for midsummer a few years ago they had sample packs
>of Swedish and Danish Akvavit. We had to try them all. I don't remember
>which was best. ;-)

I'd give that Akvavit a try. It sounds good.
Jagermeister is a herb liquor. I have to be in the mood for it, but
it's flavorful.

I'll pass on the smoked eel though. YUK!!!!
Never had it, but it dont sound good....
Then again, I'm not much into sea food except plain fish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 14/02/2013 9:33 PM, James Silverton wrote:
have to admit that when the smoked eel was ordered for me I had some
>> concerns. I was surprised to discover that it was delicious, like
>> smoked salmon, but a lot better.
>>

> I wonder if I would like smoked eel. I've had Japanese barbecued eel
> (unagi) sushi and I definitely dislike it.

I don't know if you will like it but I can tell you that is was a
pleasant surprise for me. It was like lox but better. I served it at a
couple parties here. I had a platter with squares of dark rye. Some had
cream cheese and lox and the others had egg salad and eel. I didn't
people it was eel and they seemed to enjoy it.