Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default FLAKEY WAKIES

First flakes at 10 AM:
http://i45.tinypic.com/2znoeqc.jpg
I'm ready:
http://i50.tinypic.com/4usxau.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/291ye5x.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Feb 8, 11:32*am, Brooklyn1 > wrote:
> First flakes at 10 AM: *http://i45.tinypic.com/2znoeqc.jpg
> I'm ready: *http://i50.tinypic.com/4usxau.jpghtt...om/291ye5x.jpg

Nice Kubota. Reliable and sturdy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default FLAKEY WAKIES (update)

On Fri, 08 Feb 2013 14:32:52 -0500, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>First flakes at 10 AM:
>http://i45.tinypic.com/2znoeqc.jpg
>I'm ready:
>http://i50.tinypic.com/4usxau.jpg
>http://i49.tinypic.com/291ye5x.jpg

Update...
By 4 PM not more than an inch accumulation, overly dramatic weather
forcasters flipped the wrong coin:
http://i49.tinypic.com/imueck.jpg
But critters still gotta eat:
http://i50.tinypic.com/sztyms.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:
>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> First flakes at 10 AM: *

> http://i45.tinypic.com/2znoeqc.jpg
>> I'm ready: *

> http://i50.tinypic.com/4usxau.jpg
> http://i49.tinypic.com/291ye5x.jpg
>
>Nice Kubota. Reliable and sturdy.

After ten years still like new.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 8, 2:32*pm, Brooklyn1 > wrote:
> First flakes at 10 AM: *http://i45.tinypic.com/2znoeqc.jpg
> I'm ready: *http://i50.tinypic.com/4usxau.jpghtt...om/291ye5x.jpg

I'm ready too.

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/...ps402f69d6.jpg

Hey, it's just a little snow.

--
Silvar Beitel

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Feb 2013 14:35:58 -0800 (PST), Silvar Beitel
> wrote:

>On Feb 8, 2:32*pm, Brooklyn1 > wrote:
>> First flakes at 10 AM: *http://i45.tinypic.com/2znoeqc.jpg
>> I'm ready: *http://i50.tinypic.com/4usxau.jpghtt...om/291ye5x.jpg

>I'm ready too.
>
>http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/...ps402f69d6.jpg
>
>Hey, it's just a little snow.

Yum!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 08/02/2013 3:59 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> ImStillMags wrote:
>> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>>
>>> First flakes at 10 AM:

>> http://i45.tinypic.com/2znoeqc.jpg
>>> I'm ready:

>> http://i50.tinypic.com/4usxau.jpg
>> http://i49.tinypic.com/291ye5x.jpg
>>
>> Nice Kubota. Reliable and sturdy.

> After ten years still like new.

I saw a guy around the corner with a John Deere lawn tractor and snow
blower attachment. I thought it looked pretty nifty but had the same
thought my wife did... what do you do with that expensive blower
accessory when your old JD dies and it is not compatible.

I don't know quite what to think about this storm. I kept hearing
conflicting reports about how it was going to affect us here in the
Niagara Peninsula. Some reports talked about the snow that was going to
hit southern Ontario and that Niagara would get more. Then they were
talking about how most of it was going to hit the north shore of Lake
Ontario and Niagara would would be spared the worst of it.

I woke up this morning around 7 am and was surprised to see no new snow.
I dozed off for a while and when I looked out the window at 8 am I was
surprised to see a couple inches of fresh snow. I headed out around
9:30 to do the shopping and when I got home I shovelled the sidewalk and
got the snow blower out for the the driveway. By the time I put the
snowblower away the sidewalk had another inch or two of snow. I
shovelled it again after lunch. My neighbour went by twice with his big
tractor mounted snow blower (our shared driveway is an unopened road
allowance. The snow was falling harder in the afternoon and was blowing
and drifting. I went out and did it all again.

The worst part of this is that we were supposed to go out for dinner
tonight. It is my SiL's birthday... 60th . Her daughter flew up from
California, and she brought her boyfriend. He is born and raised in
southern California and picked the worst day of the year. They went in
to Toronto last night to meet some of her old friends for dinner. They
weren't able to get away until 4 pm, so dinner party plans have been
table until tomorrow night.

On the plus side.... my dog loves the snow. When I took him out for his
run today he went bananas. So far, we have more than a foot of snow. Now
it is windy so there is a lot of drifting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> First flakes at 10 AM:
> http://i45.tinypic.com/2znoeqc.jpg
> I'm ready:
> http://i50.tinypic.com/4usxau.jpg
> http://i49.tinypic.com/291ye5x.jpg

I suspect you don't live in Brooklyn.

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 08 Feb 2013 18:31:48 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:
snip

>I saw a guy around the corner with a John Deere lawn tractor and snow
>blower attachment. I thought it looked pretty nifty but had the same
>thought my wife did... what do you do with that expensive blower
>accessory when your old JD dies and it is not compatible.

snip

Old JDs never die. Ask my husband. We've got a 1970 lawn tractor.
It's just like working on an old car. There are the usual problems,
electrical, carb, engine, etc. If something metal breaks or tears,
you go to the welder guy. Otherwise you order parts on Ebay from
someone who is parting out an old one.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 08 Feb 2013 14:32:52 -0500, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>First flakes at 10 AM:
>http://i45.tinypic.com/2znoeqc.jpg
>I'm ready:
>http://i50.tinypic.com/4usxau.jpg
>http://i49.tinypic.com/291ye5x.jpg

I hope you are lucky, but the storm is coming in off the south east
and tonight is the bad time. It all depends upon how far north the
storm pulls before it begins dumping. Good luck and keep the coffee
pot on.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 08 Feb 2013 18:31:48 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 08/02/2013 3:59 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> ImStillMags wrote:

>>> http://i45.tinypic.com/2znoeqc.jpg
>>> http://i50.tinypic.com/4usxau.jpg
>>> http://i49.tinypic.com/291ye5x.jpg
>>>
>>> Nice Kubota. Reliable and sturdy.

>> After ten years still like new.
>>

>I saw a guy around the corner with a John Deere lawn tractor and snow
>blower attachment. I thought it looked pretty nifty but had the same
>thought my wife did... what do you do with that expensive blower
>accessory when your old JD dies and it is not compatible.

PTO tractor implements are universal, they'll fit any brand tractor in
the same size range. However the lawn tractors one finds at the big
box hardware stores are not tractors, they are riding lawnmowers made
to look like tractors. A real JD garden tractor of the smallest size
costs about $15,000 plus implements.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 08 Feb 2013 20:08:02 -0500, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

snip
s are not tractors, they are riding lawnmowers made
>to look like tractors. A real JD garden tractor of the smallest size
>costs about $15,000 plus implements.

Exactly right.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 8, 5:58*pm, Brooklyn1 > wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Feb 2013 14:35:58 -0800 (PST), Silvar Beitel
>
> > wrote:
> >On Feb 8, 2:32 pm, Brooklyn1 > wrote:
> >> First flakes at 10 AM:http://i45.tinypic.com/2znoeqc.jpg
> >> I'm ready:http://i50.tinypic.com/4usxau.jpghtt...om/291ye5x.jpg

> >I'm ready too.

> >http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/.../IMG_0725_1_zp...

> >Hey, it's just a little snow.

> Yum!

Yes.

Mexican Chocolate-Cherry Rounds, from _Bon_Appetit_Desserts_ (with
walnuts substituted for the candied cherries, since those seem to be
generally unavailable around here except during holiday season.)

Had to have something sweet to snack on if the power goes out :-)

I would have posted pictures of my back yard too, but by the time I
finished baking the cookies, it was too dark outside. Perhaps
tomorrow.

Based on the various weather sites I've looked at, I'm at ground zero
for this storm. But ... again ...

Hey, it's just a little snow. I think we've forgotten when snow of a
foot or more was routine.

Mrs. Beitel and I will be eating cookies, drinking a little wine, and
having a nice fire in the fireplace this evening.

--
Silvar Beitel
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Feb 8, 6:02*pm, Silvar Beitel > wrote:
> On Feb 8, 5:58*pm, Brooklyn1 > wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 8 Feb 2013 14:35:58 -0800 (PST), Silvar Beitel

> > > wrote:

> > >I'm ready too.

> > >http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/.../IMG_0725_1_zp....

> > >Hey, it's just a little snow.

> > Yum!

> Yes.
>
> Mexican Chocolate-Cherry Rounds, from _Bon_Appetit_Desserts_ (with
> walnuts substituted for the candied cherries, since those seem to be
> generally unavailable around here except during holiday season.)
>
> Had to have something sweet to snack on if the power goes out :-)
>
> I would have posted pictures of my back yard too, but by the time I
> finished baking the cookies, it was too dark outside. *Perhaps
> tomorrow.
>
> Based on the various weather sites I've looked at, I'm at ground zero
> for this storm. *But ... again ...
>
> Hey, it's just a little snow. *I think we've forgotten when snow of a
> foot or more was routine.
>
> Mrs. Beitel and I will be eating cookies, drinking a little wine, and
> having a nice fire in the fireplace this evening.
>
> --
> Silvar Beitel

Sounds like a perfect snowy Winter evening to me !

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 08/02/2013 8:08 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>> I saw a guy around the corner with a John Deere lawn tractor and snow
>> blower attachment. I thought it looked pretty nifty but had the same
>> thought my wife did... what do you do with that expensive blower
>> accessory when your old JD dies and it is not compatible.

> PTO tractor implements are universal, they'll fit any brand tractor in
> the same size range. However the lawn tractors one finds at the big
> box hardware stores are not tractors, they are riding lawnmowers made
> to look like tractors. A real JD garden tractor of the smallest size
> costs about $15,000 plus implements.

Yep, and belt driven accessories are not interchangeable.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 8, 2:56*pm, Brooklyn1 > wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Feb 2013 14:32:52 -0500, Brooklyn1
>
> > wrote:
> >First flakes at 10 AM:
> >http://i45.tinypic.com/2znoeqc.jpg
> >I'm ready:
> >http://i50.tinypic.com/4usxau.jpg
> >http://i49.tinypic.com/291ye5x.jpg

> Update...
> By 4 PM not more than an inch accumulation, overly dramatic weather
> forcasters flipped the wrong coin: *http://i49.tinypic.com/imueck.jpg
> But critters still gotta eat: *http://i50.tinypic.com/sztyms.jpg

LOL I was snickering at the hysteria on the Weather Channel this
morning. "Winter Storm Nemo" indeed. I thought fer Chrissakes it's
the northeast in February, of course it's gonna snow!

Love the squirrels, cute!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 8, 3:56*pm, Brooklyn1 > wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Feb 2013 14:32:52 -0500, Brooklyn1
>
> > wrote:
> >First flakes at 10 AM:
> >http://i45.tinypic.com/2znoeqc.jpg
> >I'm ready:
> >http://i50.tinypic.com/4usxau.jpg
> >http://i49.tinypic.com/291ye5x.jpg

> Update...
> By 4 PM not more than an inch accumulation, overly dramatic weather
> forcasters flipped the wrong coin: *http://i49.tinypic.com/imueck.jpg
> But critters still gotta eat: *http://i50.tinypic.com/sztyms.jpg

Update here, 10 a.m. Saturday: 22 inches. So far.

http://s1196.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0

The wind has been impressive. Fortunately, we haven't lost power.

--
Silvar Beitel
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Feb 2013 07:50:43 -0800 (PST), Silvar Beitel
> wrote:

>On Feb 8, 3:56*pm, Brooklyn1 > wrote:
>> On Fri, 08 Feb 2013 14:32:52 -0500, Brooklyn1
>>
>> > wrote:
>> >First flakes at 10 AM:
>> >http://i45.tinypic.com/2znoeqc.jpg
>> >I'm ready:
>> >http://i50.tinypic.com/4usxau.jpg
>> >http://i49.tinypic.com/291ye5x.jpg

>> Update...
>> By 4 PM not more than an inch accumulation, overly dramatic weather
>> forcasters flipped the wrong coin: *http://i49.tinypic.com/imueck.jpg
>> But critters still gotta eat: *http://i50.tinypic.com/sztyms.jpg

>Update here, 10 a.m. Saturday: 22 inches. So far.
>
>http://s1196.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0
>
>The wind has been impressive. Fortunately, we haven't lost power.

Where's "here"?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 9, 11:40*am, Brooklyn1 > wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Feb 2013 07:50:43 -0800 (PST), Silvar Beitel
>

> > wrote:
> >On Feb 8, 3:56 pm, Brooklyn1 > wrote:
> >> On Fri, 08 Feb 2013 14:32:52 -0500, Brooklyn1

> >> Update...
> >> By 4 PM not more than an inch accumulation, overly dramatic weather
> >> forcasters flipped the wrong coin:http://i49.tinypic.com/imueck.jpg
> >> But critters still gotta eat:http://i50.tinypic.com/sztyms.jpg

> >Update here, 10 a.m. Saturday: * 22 inches. *So far.

> >http://s1196.beta.photobucket.com/us...dia/IMG_0730_1...

> >The wind has been impressive. *Fortunately, we haven't lost power.

> Where's "here"?

~40 miles NW of Boston.

--
Silvar Beitel
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Feb 9, 7:50*am, Silvar Beitel > wrote:
> On Feb 8, 3:56*pm, Brooklyn1 > wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 08 Feb 2013 14:32:52 -0500, Brooklyn1

> > > wrote:
> > >First flakes at 10 AM:
> > >http://i45.tinypic.com/2znoeqc.jpg
> > >I'm ready:
> > >http://i50.tinypic.com/4usxau.jpg
> > >http://i49.tinypic.com/291ye5x.jpg

> > Update...
> > By 4 PM not more than an inch accumulation, overly dramatic weather
> > forcasters flipped the wrong coin: *http://i49.tinypic.com/imueck.jpg
> > But critters still gotta eat: *http://i50.tinypic.com/sztyms.jpg

> Update here, 10 a.m. Saturday: * 22 inches. *So far.
>
> http://s1196.beta.photobucket.com/us...dia/IMG_0730_1...
>
> The wind has been impressive. *Fortunately, we haven't lost power.
>
> --
> Silvar Beitel

You are lucky it wasn't a 'sticky' snow. I see nothing on the trees
or shrubs, that's why you still have power.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 8, 2013 6:34:10 PM UTC-7, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Feb 2013 14:32:52 -0500, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>

> > First flakes at 10 AM:

> > http://i45.tinypic.com/2znoeqc.jpg

> > I'm ready:

> > http://i50.tinypic.com/4usxau.jpg

> > http://i49.tinypic.com/291ye5x.jpg

> A grown man with his Tonka toy calling snow, "Flakey Wakies".
>
> <shaking head>
>
> -sw

Perhaps "FLAKEY WERTZ" is envious.

That ain't no Tonka toy...that is a very nice acreage tractor which will do
a very good job of moving snow. At least he is not homeless and enjoys his country living.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/02/2013 11:59 AM, ImStillMags wrote:

>> The wind has been impressive. Fortunately, we haven't lost power.
>>
>> --
>> Silvar Beitel

> You are lucky it wasn't a 'sticky' snow. I see nothing on the trees
> or shrubs, that's why you still have power.

We made it. We got more than a foot of snow and it was the fine stuff,
nit big soft flakes so it was pretty heavy. Later on it got windy so
there was drifting. Blowing and drifting tends to break up the snow
flakes so they get packed down even harder.

I went out with the snow blower late in the morning and cleared ff our
parking area and our shared driveway that they neighbour had already
cleared once. He went out and did the driveway again about two hours
later. Late in the afternoon I went out and cleaned the sidewalk,
parking area and the driveway. When we took the dog out at night it
looked like nothing had been touched earlier. Every thing was snowed
over and drifted in again.

I went out this morning with the snow blower and cleaned it all up
again. Then the sun came out. It is a beautiful bright winter day. It
would be a nice day to go for a walk in the woods, but the snow is up
almost to my knees. I will wait until some of the local snowmobiles go
out and make some nice firm tracks to walk on.

My dog loves the snow. He doesn't mind that it harder to run through. He
is alike a kid in the snow.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Roy wrote:
Sqwertz wrote:
>> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> > First flakes at 10 AM:
>> > http://i45.tinypic.com/2znoeqc.jpg
>> > I'm ready:
>> > http://i50.tinypic.com/4usxau.jpg
>> > http://i49.tinypic.com/291ye5x.jpg

>> A grown man with his Tonka toy calling snow, "Flakey Wakies".
>>
>> <shaking head>

>Perhaps "FLAKEY WERTZ" is envious.
>
>That ain't no Tonka toy...that is a very nice acreage tractor which will do
>a very good job of moving snow. At least he is not homeless and enjoys his country living.

The dwarf is envious because normal men can climb up into that cab
without needing a boost.

This year I need to plow the flakey wakies all the way to my barn so I
can more easily get to feed Newt and his buddies:
http://i45.tinypic.com/etd6wx.jpg
Flakey wakies are plowed off my driveway too:
http://i47.tinypic.com/hwddex.jpg
At the ready for as many flakey wakies that come:
http://i46.tinypic.com/295y0xy.jpg
Got a new hand knit sheep hat too:
http://i45.tinypic.com/vobqpu.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Feb 2013 08:54:54 -0800 (PST), Silvar Beitel
> wrote:

>On Feb 9, 11:40*am, Brooklyn1 > wrote:
>> On Sat, 9 Feb 2013 07:50:43 -0800 (PST), Silvar Beitel
>> > wrote:

>> >Update here, 10 a.m. Saturday: * 22 inches. *So far.

>> >http://s1196.beta.photobucket.com/us...dia/IMG_0730_1...

>> >The wind has been impressive. *Fortunately, we haven't lost power.

>> Where's "here"?

>~40 miles NW of Boston.

Then you should be very familiar with snow. I don't call what just
occured a memorable snow event... actually it was a nothing... the
news media can't resist over hyping everything, even the weather.
And now that I have my new ventless propane heater (needs no electric)
I no longer concern myself with power outages... it's 20º outside and
just that tiny heater on it's lowest setting is keeping my house at
72º... only time my boiler comes on is when it calls for hot water,
and soon I will have a new on-demand hot water heater.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/02/2013 4:08 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Then you should be very familiar with snow. I don't call what just
> occured a memorable snow event... actually it was a nothing... the
> news media can't resist over hyping everything, even the weather.
> And now that I have my new ventless propane heater (needs no electric)
> I no longer concern myself with power outages... it's 20º outside and
> just that tiny heater on it's lowest setting is keeping my house at
> 72º... only time my boiler comes on is when it calls for hot water,
> and soon I will have a new on-demand hot water heater.

It was significant here in southern Ontario. We got more than a foot of
snow.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Feb 2013 16:42:31 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 09/02/2013 4:08 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>

>> Then you should be very familiar with snow. I don't call what just
>> occured a memorable snow event... actually it was a nothing... the
>> news media can't resist over hyping everything, even the weather.
>> And now that I have my new ventless propane heater (needs no electric)
>> I no longer concern myself with power outages... it's 20º outside and
>> just that tiny heater on it's lowest setting is keeping my house at
>> 72º... only time my boiler comes on is when it calls for hot water,
>> and soon I will have a new on-demand hot water heater.
>>

>It was significant here in southern Ontario. We got more than a foot of
>snow.

Here in the northern Catskills a foot of snow is really a nothing...
unless there's at least three feet of snow (and temps are down to
minus zero) it's hardly newsworthy. Today there was barely over a
foot of snow and it was only 20º, not worth talking about.

Also flakey - 4Seasons HLE Wine 0 11-12-2009 05:24 PM
Flakey pastries reqluq Baking 18 20-01-2006 06:54 PM
Flakey Loaves hutchndi Sourdough 2 17-12-2005 02:00 PM