FoodBanter.com

-   -   Creole vs. Cajun seasoning -- difference" (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/422629-creole-vs-cajun-seasoning.html)

Janet Bostwick 04-02-2013 03:49 PM

Creole vs. Cajun seasoning -- difference"

As the subject line says, is there a specific difference between the
two? Clueless northerner wants to know.
Janet US

ImStillMags 04-02-2013 04:10 PM

On Feb 4, 6:49*am, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> As the subject line says, is there a specific difference between the
> two? *Clueless northerner wants to know.
> Janet US

This will give you a little history and how the two cuisines
developed.

http://hizzoners.com/southern-comforts/cajun-a-creole

sf[_9_] 04-02-2013 04:15 PM

Creole vs. Cajun seasoning -- difference"

On Mon, 04 Feb 2013 07:49:22 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> As the subject line says, is there a specific difference between the
> two? Clueless northerner wants to know.

I've been wondering about it too and actually tried to find out. I
guess Cajun has more heat than Creole. I found this bit of history
interesting.
http://www.ehow.com/info_7929011_dif...seasoning.html

Janet Bostwick 04-02-2013 04:21 PM

Creole vs. Cajun seasoning -- difference"

On Mon, 4 Feb 2013 07:10:46 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Feb 4, 6:49*am, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>> As the subject line says, is there a specific difference between the
>> two? *Clueless northerner wants to know.
>> Janet US

>This will give you a little history and how the two cuisines
>developed.
>
>http://hizzoners.com/southern-comforts/cajun-a-creole

Thanks for the article. It refreshes my memory on the history of the
region. It doesn't answer the question 'is there a specific type of
seasoning that is Cajun and one that is Creole?' Is there a specific
spice or herb or combination that immediately identifies Creole or
Cajun?
Janet US

notbob 04-02-2013 05:56 PM

On 2013-02-04, Janet Bostwick > wrote:

> region. It doesn't answer the question 'is there a specific type of
> seasoning that is Cajun and one that is Creole?' Is there a specific
> spice or herb or combination that immediately identifies Creole or
> Cajun?

In practical terms, no.

I've only seen a distinction, once. That was with Golden Dipt, a line
of mixes and marinades from McCormick. They came out with a marinade
called Creole, years ago. I've praised it highly and often, here in
rfc. Then, it disappeared off the market. Now, I see GD Cajun
marinade is available. Is it the same? I don't know as I've not
tried the newer Cajun version. I will.

If you look at blends like Emeril's, Taggart's, Chachere's, Old Bay
(same stuff), they all say Creole or nothing (OB). Penzey's and SF
Herb Co call theirs Cajun. But, you note the individual spices and
it's mostly all the same thing, give or take an herb or two. More
alike than different.

In all the years I've been studying/eating Creole and Cajun cuisine,
near as I kin tell, it's basically a class distinction. The Creoles
were proud up-town Nawlins folk, all hoity-toity in their perceived fine
aristocratic heritage. Cajuns were equally proud of being down home
country folk with a fiercely independent streak. Whatever, most folks
can't tell the difference between either's traditional spice blends.

Me? Frankly, Scarlett, I don't give a damn! Jes gimme SOME!! ;)

nb

notbob 04-02-2013 06:00 PM

On 2013-02-04, ImStillMags > wrote:

> This will give you a little history and how the two cuisines
> developed.
>
> http://hizzoners.com/southern-comforts/cajun-a-creole

This corresponds nicely with what I know about the two groups. Very
well done.

nb

bigwheel 04-02-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet Bostwick (Post 1810556)
As the subject line says, is there a specific difference between the
two? Clueless northerner wants to know.
Janet US

Some interchangeability here..but the way it was splained to me speaking in general terms..Cajun is rural country type food. Creole is a more sophisticated culinary style exemplified by the efforts of various ethnic groups who settled around Nor'leans. One test I use is the use of tomato products. For example if you see a gumbo recipe calling for tomatoes it would generally be classified as Creole..while shunning tomatoes is a clue that it should be Cajun. Here is an link that might tell it better.

About Louisiana cuisine

Janet Bostwick 04-02-2013 09:12 PM

On 4 Feb 2013 16:56:58 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2013-02-04, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>

>> region. It doesn't answer the question 'is there a specific type of
>> seasoning that is Cajun and one that is Creole?' Is there a specific
>> spice or herb or combination that immediately identifies Creole or
>> Cajun?

>In practical terms, no.
>
>I've only seen a distinction, once. That was with Golden Dipt, a line
>of mixes and marinades from McCormick. They came out with a marinade
>called Creole, years ago. I've praised it highly and often, here in
>rfc. Then, it disappeared off the market. Now, I see GD Cajun
>marinade is available. Is it the same? I don't know as I've not
>tried the newer Cajun version. I will.
>
>If you look at blends like Emeril's, Taggart's, Chachere's, Old Bay
>(same stuff), they all say Creole or nothing (OB). Penzey's and SF
>Herb Co call theirs Cajun. But, you note the individual spices and
>it's mostly all the same thing, give or take an herb or two. More
>alike than different.
>
>In all the years I've been studying/eating Creole and Cajun cuisine,
>near as I kin tell, it's basically a class distinction. The Creoles
>were proud up-town Nawlins folk, all hoity-toity in their perceived fine
>aristocratic heritage. Cajuns were equally proud of being down home
>country folk with a fiercely independent streak. Whatever, most folks
>can't tell the difference between either's traditional spice blends.
>
>Me? Frankly, Scarlett, I don't give a damn! Jes gimme SOME!! ;)
>
>nb

Just opened a package of Tasso pork. Come and get it. Woo-eee,
that's some spicy stuff!
Janet US

Janet Bostwick 04-02-2013 10:35 PM

Creole vs. Cajun seasoning -- difference"

On Mon, 4 Feb 2013 18:50:37 +0000, bigwheel
> wrote:

>Janet Bostwick;1810556 Wrote:
>> As the subject line says, is there a specific difference between the
>> two? Clueless northerner wants to know.
>> Janet US

>Some interchangeability here..but the way it was splained to me speaking
>in general terms..Cajun is rural country type food. Creole is a more
>sophisticated culinary style exemplified by the efforts of various
>ethnic groups who settled around Nor'leans. One test I use is the use of
>tomato products. For example if you see a gumbo recipe calling for
>tomatoes it would generally be classified as Creole..while shunning
>tomatoes is a clue that it should be Cajun. Here is an link that might
>tell it better.
>
>'About Louisiana cuisine'
>(http://www.gumbopages.com/food/about-food.html)

thank you for the link
Janet US

Cheryl[_3_] 05-02-2013 01:09 AM

On 2/4/2013 11:56 AM, notbob wrote:

> If you look at blends like Emeril's, Taggart's, Chachere's, Old Bay
> (same stuff), they all say Creole or nothing (OB). Penzey's and SF
> Herb Co call theirs Cajun. But, you note the individual spices and
> it's mostly all the same thing, give or take an herb or two. More
> alike than different.

I mixed up a jar of Emerils Essence but I didn't think it was the same
as Old Bay seasoning, but now that you mention it, I'll have to look
again. I always have Old Bay on hand. Maybe I can cut one out of my store.

Janet Bostwick 05-02-2013 02:33 AM

On Tue, 5 Feb 2013 00:20:41 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

>On 4-Feb-2013, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>
>> >Me? Frankly, Scarlett, I don't give a damn! Jes gimme SOME!! ;)
>> >
>> >nb

>> Just opened a package of Tasso pork. Come and get it. Woo-eee,
>> that's some spicy stuff!
>> Janet US

>It's great in beans; I often use it when making red beans; however, this
>week I'll be making black beans with it. A quarter pound of diced tasso
>to a pound of beans gets the spice right for my taste.

Thanks for the tip! I got a huge gift basket for Christmas and there
is a lot of stuff in there from Louisiana.
Janet US

notbob 05-02-2013 01:31 PM

On 2013-02-05, Cheryl > wrote:

> as Old Bay seasoning, but now that you mention it, I'll have to look
> again. I always have Old Bay on hand. Maybe I can cut one out of my store.

I looked at all my cajun/creole seasonings. They all contain pretty
much the same spices. I did the straight powder-into-mouth taste test
and was a bit surprised to realize how spicy-hot Old Bay actually is.
I had it pegged as the wimpiest of them all and it really isn't. I
even used OB as a poultry rub, or used to. I no longer do chicken.

nb

zxcvbob 05-02-2013 05:45 PM

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> As the subject line says, is there a specific difference between the
> two? Clueless northerner wants to know.
> Janet US

The Creoles were a higher social class than the Cajuns. I believe they
use the same spices, but Creole food has more sophisticated
preparations. Gross simplification: Creole is European (French and
Spanish) with African influence. Cajun is poor country-folk food
(one-pot meals) with Creole influence and probably uses more peppers.

Jambalaya is a Creole dish, and closely resembles paella. Gumbo is
Cajun, and basically a spicy stew made with chicken or locally-caught
fish and shellfish. I don't know if anyone makes squirrel gumbo, but it
would fit.

I could be totally wrong about this; but that's how it looked from East
Texas ;-)

Bob

Cheryl[_3_] 05-02-2013 06:42 PM

On 2/5/2013 7:31 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2013-02-05, Cheryl > wrote:
>
>> as Old Bay seasoning, but now that you mention it, I'll have to look
>> again. I always have Old Bay on hand. Maybe I can cut one out of my store.

> I looked at all my cajun/creole seasonings. They all contain pretty
> much the same spices. I did the straight powder-into-mouth taste test
> and was a bit surprised to realize how spicy-hot Old Bay actually is.
> I had it pegged as the wimpiest of them all and it really isn't. I
> even used OB as a poultry rub, or used to. I no longer do chicken.
>
> nb

It really is, isn't it. I like Old Bay sprinkled on popcorn.

Janet Bostwick 05-02-2013 08:28 PM

Creole vs. Cajun seasoning -- difference"

On Mon, 04 Feb 2013 07:49:22 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>As the subject line says, is there a specific difference between the
>two? Clueless northerner wants to know.
>Janet US

Thanks everyone for all the tips and links. I think I have a general
ideas now of what's what. Thanks again
Janet US

bigwheel 06-02-2013 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zxcvbob (Post 1810821)
I could be totally wrong about this; but that's how it looked from East Texas ;-) Bob

Now Bob..was you in the grit eating part of E. Texas or the Crockodile infested part? lol.
Now for the spice trade..Emerils Essence is horrible. Way way too much Oregano. Make a person swear that boy is Greek or something. Old Bay is total overloaded on Bay..guess thats how it gets its name. Tony's should be a welcome relief from those two contenders. Great score on the Tasso. The stuff is easy to make at home for them with a slow cooking smoker. Amazing flavor. There is a good recipe for it over on the gumbo pages for anybody who gets industrious.

zxcvbob 06-02-2013 05:39 AM

bigwheel wrote:
> zxcvbob;1810821 Wrote:
>> I could be totally wrong about this; but that's how it looked from East
>> Texas ;-) Bob

> Now Bob..was you in the grit eating part of E. Texas or the Crockodile
> infested part? lol.

I was in the alligator part, but just barely. Actually it was probably
where they overlap. :-)

Bob

teddybearlover 06-02-2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet Bostwick (Post 1810556)
As the subject line says, is there a specific difference between the
two? Clueless northerner wants to know.
Janet US

Thank you for the info! When I was growing up I always ate Cajun style seasoning. I had no idea about Creole. Thanks again!

jmcquown[_2_] 06-02-2013 03:19 PM

On 2/5/2013 9:40 PM, bigwheel wrote:
> Now for the spice trade..Emerils Essence is horrible. Way way too much
> Oregano. Make a person swear that boy is Greek or something.

He's from Massachusetts. His father was from Quebec and his mother was
Portugese.

Jill

notbob 06-02-2013 03:28 PM

On 2013-02-06, jmcquown > wrote:
> On 2/5/2013 9:40 PM, bigwheel wrote:
>> Now for the spice trade..Emerils Essence is horrible. Way way too much
>> Oregano. Make a person swear that boy is Greek or something.

I get an overwhelming smell/taste of celery salt. Must be a Chi-dog
fan.

nb

Janet Bostwick 06-02-2013 04:05 PM

Creole vs. Cajun seasoning -- difference"

On Tue, 05 Feb 2013 22:39:44 -0600, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>bigwheel wrote:
>> zxcvbob;1810821 Wrote:
>>> I could be totally wrong about this; but that's how it looked from East
>>> Texas ;-) Bob

>> Now Bob..was you in the grit eating part of E. Texas or the Crockodile
>> infested part? lol.

>I was in the alligator part, but just barely. Actually it was probably
>where they overlap. :-)
>
>Bob

We've had alligator tail and really liked it.
Janet US

jmcquown[_2_] 06-02-2013 04:56 PM

On 2/6/2013 9:28 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2013-02-06, jmcquown > wrote:
>> On 2/5/2013 9:40 PM, bigwheel wrote:
>>> Now for the spice trade..Emerils Essence is horrible. Way way too much
>>> Oregano. Make a person swear that boy is Greek or something.

> I get an overwhelming smell/taste of celery salt. Must be a Chi-dog
> fan.
>
> nb

Replying to 'bigwheel' didn't show what I said. Emeril was born and
raised in Massachusetts. Sheesh, can't you tell from his accent? If
anyone cares his father was from Quebec and his mother was Portugese.

Jill

jmcquown[_2_] 06-02-2013 05:11 PM

On 2/6/2013 10:05 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Feb 2013 22:39:44 -0600, zxcvbob >
> wrote:
>
>> bigwheel wrote:
>>>
>>> Now Bob..was you in the grit eating part of E. Texas or the Crockodile
>>> infested part? lol.

>> I was in the alligator part, but just barely. Actually it was probably
>> where they overlap. :-)
>>
>> Bob

> We've had alligator tail and really liked it.
> Janet US

I'd rather they just keep those critters out of my backyard, thanks :)

I've never eaten alligator. I did have a wonderful turtle soup at Owen
Brennan's in Memphis, TN. The service and the food was great, the soup
was superb. It was presented as Creole; yes slightly more upscale. But
similar seasonings resonate throughout Creole and Cajun.

Which reminds me. I've got about a pound of cooked crawfish tail meat
in the freezer. Other than using them in a sauce for Catfish Acadian,
what else might I do with them? Crawfish pie? Simply sautee them in
butter with garlic like scampi?

Jill

Bryan[_6_] 06-02-2013 08:52 PM

On Wednesday, February 6, 2013 10:11:55 AM UTC-6, jmcquown wrote:

> I've never eaten alligator. I did have a wonderful turtle soup at Owen
>
> Brennan's in Memphis, TN. The service and the food was great, the soup
>
> was superb. It was presented as Creole; yes slightly more upscale. But
>
> similar seasonings resonate throughout Creole and Cajun.

I once ate so much at Brennan's Sunday brunch that I was actually in
physical pain.

> Jill

--Bryan

Gary 06-02-2013 10:58 PM

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> We've had alligator tail and really liked it.
> Janet US

Seeing now on tv how they catch/kill them though. I would never support that
food.
Whoa! Did I just turn touchy-feelie liberal? No seriously, I can't stand
to watch those alligator shows. I can't help thinking how the alligator
feels with a big hook in his mouth all darn night until the local
trailer-trash hunters show up the next day to end it all.

Gary

jmcquown[_2_] 06-02-2013 11:02 PM

On 2/6/2013 4:58 PM, Gary wrote:
> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>
>> We've had alligator tail and really liked it.
>> Janet US

> Seeing now on tv how they catch/kill them though. I would never support that
> food.
> Whoa! Did I just turn touchy-feelie liberal? No seriously, I can't stand
> to watch those alligator shows.
> Gary

So change the channel or turn the television set off. I don't watch
them slaughter cattle but I still enjoy a good steak.

Jill

Gary 06-02-2013 11:35 PM

Bryan wrote:

> On Wednesday, February 6, 2013 10:11:55 AM UTC-6, jmcquown wrote:
> >

> > I've never eaten alligator. I did have a wonderful turtle soup at Owen
> >
> > Brennan's in Memphis, TN. The service and the food was great, the soup
> >
> > was superb. It was presented as Creole; yes slightly more upscale. But
> >
> > similar seasonings resonate throughout Creole and Cajun.
> >

> I once ate so much at Brennan's Sunday brunch that I was actually in
> physical pain.
> >
> > Jill

> --Bryan

you pig, you.

Gary 07-02-2013 12:17 AM

jmcquown wrote:

> On 2/6/2013 4:58 PM, Gary wrote:
> > Janet Bostwick wrote:
> >>
> >> We've had alligator tail and really liked it.
> >> Janet US

> > Seeing now on tv how they catch/kill them though. I would never support that
> > food.
> > Whoa! Did I just turn touchy-feelie liberal? No seriously, I can't stand
> > to watch those alligator shows.
> > Gary
> >

> So change the channel or turn the television set off. I don't watch
> them slaughter cattle but I still enjoy a good steak.

I'm with you, Jill. But cattle aren't left hurting for up to 24 hours before
death. I hate trapping and all shows about them. That is so cruel to
animals. I definitely change channels immediately but I also would never buy
some meat killed in that slow, cruel way. It's just me.

Gary

Janet Bostwick 07-02-2013 12:59 AM

On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 18:17:38 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:

>> > Seeing now on tv how they catch/kill them though. I would never support that
>> > food.
>> > Whoa! Did I just turn touchy-feelie liberal? No seriously, I can't stand
>> > to watch those alligator shows.
>> > Gary
>> >

>> So change the channel or turn the television set off. I don't watch
>> them slaughter cattle but I still enjoy a good steak.

>I'm with you, Jill. But cattle aren't left hurting for up to 24 hours before
>death. I hate trapping and all shows about them. That is so cruel to
>animals. I definitely change channels immediately but I also would never buy
>some meat killed in that slow, cruel way. It's just me.
>
>Gary

The store-bought alligator meat is farm raised. What the fellows on
those shows do, I have no idea.
Janet US

jmcquown[_2_] 07-02-2013 01:42 PM

On 2/6/2013 6:59 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 18:17:38 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
>> jmcquown wrote:

>>> So change the channel or turn the television set off. I don't watch
>>> them slaughter cattle but I still enjoy a good steak.

>> I'm with you, Jill. But cattle aren't left hurting for up to 24 hours before
>> death. I hate trapping and all shows about them. That is so cruel to
>> animals. I definitely change channels immediately but I also would never buy
>> some meat killed in that slow, cruel way. It's just me.
>>
>> Gary

> The store-bought alligator meat is farm raised. What the fellows on
> those shows do, I have no idea.
> Janet US

It's just more ridiculous "reality" programming. Honestly I have no
idea (nor do I want to know anyone) who finds shows like this
entertaining. Rednecks.

Jill

Bryan[_6_] 07-02-2013 02:10 PM

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...0-lbs-feed-bag

> Janet US

--Bryan

jmcquown[_2_] 07-02-2013 02:58 PM

On 2/6/2013 2:52 PM, Bryan wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 6, 2013 10:11:55 AM UTC-6, jmcquown wrote:
>>

>> I've never eaten alligator. I did have a wonderful turtle soup at Owen
>>
>> Brennan's in Memphis, TN. The service and the food was great, the soup
>>
>> was superb. It was presented as Creole; yes slightly more upscale. But
>>
>> similar seasonings resonate throughout Creole and Cajun.
>>

> I once ate so much at Brennan's Sunday brunch that I was actually in
> physical pain.
>>
>> Jill

> --Bryan

I never went to the Sunday brunch at Brennan's but friends raved about
it! I gather the restaurant is still in business in Memphis so I hope
they kept up the level of food and service. It really was excellent.

Jill

bigwheel 07-02-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'jmcquown[_2_
;[/i][/color]
Replying to 'bigwheel' didn't show what I said. Emeril was born and
raised in Massachusetts. Sheesh, can't you tell from his accent? If
anyone cares his father was from Quebec and his mother was Portugese.
Jill

Thanks Jill..did know Emeril was a dumb Portugese yankee from Falls River, Mass. Thats why I try to keep him tuned out..lol. Now Alton Brown is a cook. Rachel Ray is my girlfriend..yeah thats the ticket..yeah.

Tara 07-02-2013 10:04 PM

On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 11:11:55 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> Which reminds me. I've got about a pound of cooked crawfish tail meat
> in the freezer. Other than using them in a sauce for Catfish Acadian,
> what else might I do with them? Crawfish pie? Simply sautee them in
> butter with garlic like scampi?

Crawfish Monica:

http://catholicfoodie.com/crawfish-m...jazz-fest-dish

http://www.nola.com/jazzfest/index.ssf/2012/04/
new_orleans_jazz_fest_food_a_c.html

Tara

jmcquown[_2_] 07-02-2013 10:59 PM

On 2/7/2013 4:04 PM, Tara wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 11:11:55 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Which reminds me. I've got about a pound of cooked crawfish tail meat
>> in the freezer. Other than using them in a sauce for Catfish Acadian,
>> what else might I do with them? Crawfish pie? Simply sautee them in
>> butter with garlic like scampi?

> Crawfish Monica:
>
> http://catholicfoodie.com/crawfish-m...jazz-fest-dish
>
> http://www.nola.com/jazzfest/index.ssf/2012/04/