Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Hellman's/BestFoods now officially crap!

I guess I'll hafta start making my own mayonnaise. My last jar of
BestFoods mayo is now jes worthless crap. The makers are now putting
soooo much water in it, it's essentially useless. No body, no
substance, nada. It jes slides to the bottom of the jar, a white
gutless sludge.

On the bright side (or until I find otherwise), I did buy some
Johnny's Au Jus Concentrate. WW had it. We'll see how that turns out.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
>I guess I'll hafta start making my own mayonnaise. My last jar of
> BestFoods mayo is now jes worthless crap. The makers are now putting
> soooo much water in it, it's essentially useless. No body, no
> substance, nada. It jes slides to the bottom of the jar, a white
> gutless sludge.
>
> On the bright side (or until I find otherwise), I did buy some
> Johnny's Au Jus Concentrate. WW had it. We'll see how that turns out.
>
> nb

What the good brand? Dukes?

I think there's another one from Virginia that begins with a 'C'.

I saw them at Dollar Tree.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 29 Jan 2013 18:58:20 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>I guess I'll hafta start making my own mayonnaise. My last jar of
>BestFoods mayo is now jes worthless crap. The makers are now putting
>soooo much water in it, it's essentially useless. No body, no
>substance, nada. It jes slides to the bottom of the jar, a white
>gutless sludge.
>
>On the bright side (or until I find otherwise), I did buy some
>Johnny's Au Jus Concentrate. WW had it. We'll see how that turns out.
>
>nb

I wouldn't know because I switched to Kirkland (Costco) brand a couple
of years ago.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christopher M." wrote:

> What the good brand? Dukes?
>
> I think there's another one from Virginia that begins with a 'C'.

Duke's is good. From Virginia, try Sauer's. That's what I use.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> "Christopher M." wrote:
>>
>> What the good brand? Dukes?
>>
>> I think there's another one from Virginia that begins with a 'C'.

> Duke's is good. From Virginia, try Sauer's. That's what I use.
>
> Gary

Thanks Gary. Big fan of mayo. A dozen Medici's chefs can't be wrong.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On 29 Jan 2013 18:58:20 GMT, notbob wrote:
>
>> I guess I'll hafta start making my own mayonnaise. My last jar of
>> BestFoods mayo is now jes worthless crap. The makers are now putting
>> soooo much water in it, it's essentially useless.

> Regular mayonnaise must be be at least 65% vegetable oil, 2.5% acetic
> acid, and 2.5& lemon and/or lime juice. That means there's only so
> much room left for water and egg.
>
> -sw

Only 65%? I thought it was closer to 80%.

NB, how many calories per tablespoon of that BestFoods mayo?

bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

WHAT?! I really did a double take on what the OP said, as I've been
using Best Foods for years, and see absolutely not one iota difference
in it from when I first started using it...either in looks, substance or
flavor. I thought maybe I've missed something along the way, so just
went and pulled the last jar out of the frig. that I bought and it looks
fine in the jar...thick in consistency from the top to the bottom and
just used some on my roast chicken sandwich for lunch and it was
delicious.

I've tried others in the past, but AFAIC nothing beats Best Foods, and I
for one, will remain a loyal customer! ^o-o^

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 29, 3:42*pm, "l not -l" > wrote:

> On 29-Jan-2013, Gary > wrote:
>
> > "Christopher M." wrote:

> > > What the good brand? Dukes?

> > > I think there's another one from Virginia that begins with a 'C'.

> > Duke's is good. *From Virginia, try Sauer's. *That's what I use.

> > Gary

I've not tried the Sauer's. Have used several of their spices though.

> Duke's entered the St. Louis market a few years back and I had heard so
> much about it, I thought I should try it. *Did not suit my taste at all..

I tried the Duke's 2 or 3 years ago after reading the recommendations
here. It did not suit my taste either. Rather flat tasting and about
$2 higher than the Kraft mayo that I'm addicted to.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 14:33:42 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 12:29:29 -0700, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>> I wouldn't know because I switched to Kirkland (Costco) brand a couple
>> of years ago.
>> Janet US

>The Costco mayo *is* good but they haven't sold it here for 3-4 years.
>
>-=sw

ask, for some reason, it is always on the end-cap at my store.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

> WHAT?! I really did a double take on what the OP said, as I've been
> using Best Foods for years, and see absolutely not one iota difference
> in it from when I first started using it...either in looks, substance or
> flavor. I thought maybe I've missed something along the way, so just
> went and pulled the last jar out of the frig. that I bought and it looks
> fine in the jar...thick in consistency from the top to the bottom and
> just used some on my roast chicken sandwich for lunch and it was
> delicious.
>
> I've tried others in the past, but AFAIC nothing beats Best Foods, and I
> for one, will remain a loyal customer! ^o-o^

Bought a new jar two weeks ago. Seems the same as always to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 29 Jan 2013 18:58:20 GMT
notbob > wrote:

> I guess I'll hafta start making my own mayonnaise. My last jar of
> BestFoods mayo is now jes worthless crap. The makers are now putting
> soooo much water in it, it's essentially useless. No body, no
> substance, nada. It jes slides to the bottom of the jar, a white
> gutless sludge.
>
> On the bright side (or until I find otherwise), I did buy some
> Johnny's Au Jus Concentrate. WW had it. We'll see how that turns
> out.
>
> nb

try making it yourself. I haven't bought any mayo since I got myself an
immersion blender a year ago. It's fast and so much better than
any I get in the stores.

--
John Geoffrey
Stuffed Crocodile Weblog http://gmkeros.wordpress.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul wrote:

>Bought a new jar two weeks ago. Seems
> the same as always to me.

Mine is also, Paul! I think notbob got a bad jar...perhaps that somehow
had gotten frozen (that's what it sounds like to me) while enroute to
the store from the distributor, or else he is using some kind of low-fat
crap, because my new jar looks and tastes delicious, as always.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:10:11 PM UTC-5, John Geoffrey wrote:

> try making it yourself. I haven't bought any mayo since I got myself an
>
> immersion blender a year ago. It's fast and so much better than
>
> any I get in the stores.

Would you please post your recipe in a separate thread? Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Judy Haffner wrote:
>Paul wrote:
>
>>Bought a new jar two weeks ago. Seems
>> the same as always to me.

>Mine is also!

Me too! I had tuna salad tonight, Hellman's was the same as always.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 29, 4:14*pm, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 12:59:59 -0900, (Judy Haffner)
> wrote:
>

> >WHAT?! *I really did a double take on what the OP said, as I've been
> >using Best Foods for years, and see absolutely not one iota difference
> >in it from when I first started using it...either in looks, substance or
> >flavor. I thought maybe I've missed something along the way, so just
> >went and pulled the last jar out of the frig. that I bought and it looks
> >fine in the jar...thick in consistency from the top to the bottom and
> >just used some on my roast chicken sandwich for lunch and it was
> >delicious.

> >I've tried others in the past, but AFAIC nothing beats Best Foods, and I
> >for one, will remain a loyal customer! ^o-o^

> I wonder if he got a bad jar. * I'm on the other coast, so it is
> called Hellman's-- but I haven't noticed any change.

I haven't noticed a change either, except that the jar is smaller.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 18:14:49 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

> On Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:10:11 PM UTC-5, John Geoffrey wrote:
> >

> > try making it yourself. I haven't bought any mayo since I got myself an
> >
> > immersion blender a year ago. It's fast and so much better than
> >
> > any I get in the stores.

> Would you please post your recipe in a separate thread? Thanks.

Here's a recipe with step by step illustrated instructions.
http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...ayonnaise.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Jim Elbrecht > wrote:

> I wonder if he got a bad jar. I'm on the other coast, so it is
> called Hellman's-- but I haven't noticed any change.

I haven't either. But it seems to me that the "Best Foods" mayo I used
to eat was much creamier now that it's been mentioned. On the other
hand, I seem to remember (OTOH/ISTR) a whole lot of foods that were
better when I was younger. Probably my taste buds died and the food
didn't, but I'm suspicious.

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 20:47:39 -0800
sf > wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 18:14:49 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> > wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:10:11 PM UTC-5, John Geoffrey wrote:
> > >

> > > try making it yourself. I haven't bought any mayo since I got
> > > myself an
> > >
> > > immersion blender a year ago. It's fast and so much better than
> > >
> > > any I get in the stores.

> > Would you please post your recipe in a separate thread? Thanks.

> Here's a recipe with step by step illustrated instructions.
> http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...ayonnaise.html

Yup, that's the one. I normally add a little bit of pepper and sugar to
it for taste.

--
John Geoffrey
Stuffed Crocodile Weblog http://gmkeros.wordpress.com
Ship and Fools Weblog http://shipandfools.wordpress.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 29, 2013 2:31:21 PM UTC-6, Christopher M. wrote:
> "Gary" > wrote in message ...
>
> > "Christopher M." wrote:

> >> What the good brand? Dukes?

> >> I think there's another one from Virginia that begins with a 'C'.

> > Duke's is good. From Virginia, try Sauer's. That's what I use.

> > Gary

> Thanks Gary. Big fan of mayo. A dozen Medici's chefs can't be wrong.

You dumb oaf. Those "Medici's chefs" never had anything to do with that nasty jism in a jar.

> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 29, 2013 3:59:59 PM UTC-6, Judy Haffner wrote:

> I've tried others in the past, but AFAIC nothing beats Best Foods, and I
>
> for one, will remain a loyal customer! ^o-o^

No decent cook would make mayonnaise with the cheapest, shittiest oil (soybean) and whole eggs. All of you prioritize your laziness above your standards for food. Quality-wise, your Best Foods "mayonnaise" is right up there with instant potatoes and Chef Boyardee ravioli.

> Judy

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 29, 2013 10:47:39 PM UTC-6, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 18:14:49 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
>
> > wrote:
>

> > On Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:10:11 PM UTC-5, John Geoffrey wrote:

> > > try making it yourself. I haven't bought any mayo since I got myself an

> > > immersion blender a year ago. It's fast and so much better than

> > > any I get in the stores.

> > Would you please post your recipe in a separate thread? Thanks.

> Here's a recipe with step by step illustrated instructions.
>
> http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...ayonnaise.html

Whole egg and shitty oil (grapeseed)? No thank you. Raw egg white is disgusting.

Here is a recipe for *real* mayonnaise.
http://www.organicauthority.com/eco-...se-recipe.html

If anyone is going to actually get off of his or her lazy ass and make it fresh, they shouldn't just try to duplicate jarred crap.

Think of it this way. Mayo made with vinegar and whole egg is like sucking off a wino, where the vinegar represents the odor of the wino's unwashed crotch, and the raw egg white, his ejaculate.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

projectile vomit chick wrote:
>Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>>Judy Haffner wrote:
>>
>> >WHAT?! *I really did a double take on what the OP said, as I've been
>> >using Best Foods for years, and see absolutely not one iota difference
>> >in it from when I first started using it...either in looks, substance or
>> >flavor. I thought maybe I've missed something along the way, so just
>> >went and pulled the last jar out of the frig. that I bought and it looks
>> >fine in the jar...thick in consistency from the top to the bottom and
>> >just used some on my roast chicken sandwich for lunch and it was
>> >delicious.

>> >I've tried others in the past, but AFAIC nothing beats Best Foods, and I
>> >for one, will remain a loyal customer! ^o-o^

>> I wonder if he got a bad jar. * I'm on the other coast, so it is
>> called Hellman's-- but I haven't noticed any change.

>I haven't noticed a change either, except that the jar is smaller.

And made of plastic... like urine specimen containers... I'm glad I
saved many glass Hellman's jars.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bwrrryan wrote:

>Whole egg and shitty oil (grapeseed)? No thank you. Raw egg white is disgusting.
>
>Think of it this way. Mayo made with vinegar and whole egg is like sucking off a wino, where the vinegar represents the odor of the wino's unwashed crotch, and the raw egg white, his ejaculate.

Yoose faggots would know.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 30, 2013 7:04:33 AM UTC-6, wrote:
> projectile vomit chick wrote:
>
> >Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> >> I wonder if he got a bad jar. � I'm on the other coast, so it is

> >> called Hellman's-- but I haven't noticed any change.

> >I haven't noticed a change either, except that the jar is smaller.

> And made of plastic... like urine specimen containers... I'm glad I
>
> saved many glass Hellman's jars.

It smells a bit like a urine sample as well.

--Bryan
"Think of it this way. Mayo made with vinegar and whole egg is like sucking
off a wino, where the vinegar represents the odor of the wino's unwashed
crotch, and the raw egg white, his ejaculate."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-01-30, Judy Haffner > wrote:

> had gotten frozen (that's what it sounds like to me) while enroute to

Does freezing cause this? Perhaps that's what happened.

I recently hadda reduce the temp in the fridge cuz stuff like lettuce
was freezing in the bottom compartments. Never seen frozen mayo
before, so not familiar with the phenom. I reduced the temp setting.
I'll try a new jar.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 30 Jan 2013 13:56:24 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2013-01-30, Judy Haffner > wrote:
>
>> had gotten frozen (that's what it sounds like to me) while enroute to

>Does freezing cause this? Perhaps that's what happened.
>
>I recently hadda reduce the temp in the fridge cuz stuff like lettuce
>was freezing in the bottom compartments. Never seen frozen mayo
>before, so not familiar with the phenom. I reduced the temp setting.
>I'll try a new jar.
>
>nb

Um, *increased* the temperature setting...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 30, 6:38*am, Bryan > wrote:

> Whole egg and shitty oil (grapeseed)? *No thank you. *Raw egg white is disgusting.
>
> Here is a recipe for *real* mayonnaise.http://www.organicauthority.com/eco-...se-recipe.html
>
> If anyone is going to actually get off of his or her lazy ass and make it fresh, they shouldn't just try to duplicate jarred crap.
>
> Think of it this way. *Mayo made with vinegar and whole egg is like sucking off a wino, where the vinegar represents the odor of the wino's unwashed crotch, and the raw egg white, his ejaculate.
>
> --Bryan

THAT'S the recipe I remember from junior high school home ec from
about 300 years ago. Egg yolk only, no olive oil as it wasn't on the
grocery shelves as it is now. We probably used Wesson oil or
something very similar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:

> On Tuesday, January 29, 2013 3:59:59 PM UTC-6, Judy Haffner wrote:
> >

> > I've tried others in the past, but AFAIC nothing beats Best Foods, and I
> >
> > for one, will remain a loyal customer! ^o-o^
> >

> No decent cook would make mayonnaise with the cheapest, shittiest oil
> (soybean) and whole eggs. All of you prioritize your laziness above your
> standards for food. Quality-wise, your Best Foods "mayonnaise" is right
> up there with instant potatoes and Chef Boyardee ravioli.

Funny you should mention that, Bryan. Instant mashed potatoes with
strawberry jam and canned ravioli is on the menu for tonight.

In real life, my dinner tonight will be a Hungry Man Turkey dinner then a
snack later of either a tuna sandwich or an egg salad sandwich. That should
equally horrify you.

:-D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:

> Here is a recipe for *real* mayonnaise.
> http://www.organicauthority.com/eco-...se-recipe.html
>
> If anyone is going to actually get off of his or her lazy ass and make
> it fresh, they shouldn't just try to duplicate jarred crap.
>
> Think of it this way. Mayo made with vinegar and whole egg is like
> sucking off a wino, where the vinegar represents the odor of the wino's
> unwashed crotch, and the raw egg white, his ejaculate.
>
> --Bryan

You have some strange fantasies, my friend. ;0
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2013-01-30, Judy Haffner > wrote:
>
> > had gotten frozen (that's what it sounds like to me) while enroute to

> Does freezing cause this? Perhaps that's what happened.

If your half full jar of mayo was that "soupy," you should have thrown it
right out. No matter what the problem is, it's not right.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
>Bryan wrote:
>>
>> Think of it this way. Mayo made with vinegar and whole egg is like
>> sucking off a wino, where the vinegar represents the odor of the wino's
>> unwashed crotch, and the raw egg white, his ejaculate.

>You have some strange fantasies, my friend. ;0

Fantasy nothing, in Bwrrryan's real life investigating wino's putrid
crotches is the daily norm.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 30, 2013 11:09:37 AM UTC-6, Gary wrote:
> Bryan wrote:
>

> > On Tuesday, January 29, 2013 3:59:59 PM UTC-6, Judy Haffner wrote:

> > > I've tried others in the past, but AFAIC nothing beats Best Foods, and I

> > > for one, will remain a loyal customer! ^o-o^

> > No decent cook would make mayonnaise with the cheapest, shittiest oil

> > (soybean) and whole eggs. All of you prioritize your laziness above your

> > standards for food. Quality-wise, your Best Foods "mayonnaise" is right

> > up there with instant potatoes and Chef Boyardee ravioli.

> Funny you should mention that, Bryan. Instant mashed potatoes with
>
> strawberry jam and canned ravioli is on the menu for tonight.
>

> In real life, my dinner tonight will be a Hungry Man Turkey dinner then a
>
> snack later of either a tuna sandwich or an egg salad sandwich. That should
>
> equally horrify you.

Perhaps you should be posting to alt.food.frozen-dinners instead of the
"cooking" group.

> :-D

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 04:38:25 -0800 (PST)
Bryan > wrote:

> On Tuesday, January 29, 2013 10:47:39 PM UTC-6, sf wrote:
> > On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 18:14:49 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> >
> > > wrote:

> > > Would you please post your recipe in a separate thread? Thanks.

> > Here's a recipe with step by step illustrated instructions.
> >
> > http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...ayonnaise.html
> >

> Whole egg and shitty oil (grapeseed)? No thank you. Raw egg white
> is disgusting.
>
> Here is a recipe for *real* mayonnaise.
> http://www.organicauthority.com/eco-...se-recipe.html
>
> If anyone is going to actually get off of his or her lazy ass and
> make it fresh, they shouldn't just try to duplicate jarred crap.
>
> Think of it this way. Mayo made with vinegar and whole egg is like
> sucking off a wino, where the vinegar represents the odor of the
> wino's unwashed crotch, and the raw egg white, his ejaculate.
>
> --Bryan

oh, careful guys... we've got a badass here. he uses words like crotch
and ejaculate.

--
John Geoffrey
Stuffed Crocodile Weblog http://gmkeros.wordpress.com
Ship and Fools Weblog http://shipandfools.wordpress.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 02:27:41 +0100, John Geoffrey >
wrote:

>On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 04:38:25 -0800 (PST)
>Bryan > wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, January 29, 2013 10:47:39 PM UTC-6, sf wrote:
>> > On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 18:14:49 -0800 (PST), Kalmia

>> > Here's a recipe with step by step illustrated instructions.
>> >
>> > http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...ayonnaise.html
>> >

>> Whole egg and shitty oil (grapeseed)? No thank you. Raw egg white
>> is disgusting.
>>
>> Here is a recipe for *real* mayonnaise.
>> http://www.organicauthority.com/eco-...se-recipe.html
>>
>> If anyone is going to actually get off of his or her lazy ass and
>> make it fresh, they shouldn't just try to duplicate jarred crap.
>>
>> Think of it this way. Mayo made with vinegar and whole egg is like
>> sucking off a wino, where the vinegar represents the odor of the
>> wino's unwashed crotch, and the raw egg white, his ejaculate.
>>
>> --Bryan

>oh, careful guys... we've got a badass here. he uses words like crotch
>and ejaculate.

Bwrrrryan is an ass molester, don't bend over.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

My favorite mayo is Cain's. I'm in New England, I think it may be a regional thing, as I've never heard anyone on this board mention this brand. They also make good pickles and salad dressing.

Denise in NH
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 31, 2013 7:03:05 PM UTC-6, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 02:27:41 +0100, John Geoffrey >
>
> wrote:
>

> >On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 04:38:25 -0800 (PST)

> >Bryan > wrote:

> >> Whole egg and shitty oil (grapeseed)? No thank you. Raw egg white

> >> is disgusting.

> >> Here is a recipe for *real* mayonnaise.

> >> http://www.organicauthority.com/eco-...se-recipe.html

> >> If anyone is going to actually get off of his or her lazy ass and

> >> make it fresh, they shouldn't just try to duplicate jarred crap.

> >> Think of it this way. Mayo made with vinegar and whole egg is like

> >> sucking off a wino, where the vinegar represents the odor of the

> >> wino's unwashed crotch, and the raw egg white, his ejaculate.

> >> --Bryan

> >oh, careful guys... we've got a badass here. he uses words like crotch

> >and ejaculate.

I was expressing my distaste for jarred mayo, and yeah, I'm a badass.

> Bwrrrryan is an ass molester, don't bend over.

I find male rectums far more distasteful than crappy, jarred mayo, and have never given anyone a reason to call me a "molester," but now I'm even more badass because I used the word, "rectums."

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 29, 10:58*am, notbob > wrote:
> I guess I'll hafta start making my own mayonnaise. *My last jar of
> BestFoods mayo is now jes worthless crap. *The makers are now putting
> soooo much water in it, it's essentially useless. *No body, no
> substance, nada. *It jes slides to the bottom of the jar, a white
> gutless sludge.

I had one in the cupboard when nb posted this. Mine is still thick,
but it tastes completely blah. The housebrand I just finished tastes
100 times better.