Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Hellman's/BestFoods now officially crap!

spamtrap1888 wrote:
>notbob wrote:
>>
>> I guess I'll hafta start making my own mayonnaise. *My last jar of
>> BestFoods mayo is now jes worthless crap. *The makers are now putting
>> soooo much water in it, it's essentially useless. *No body, no
>> substance, nada. *It jes slides to the bottom of the jar, a white
>> gutless sludge.

>I had one in the cupboard when nb posted this. Mine is still thick,
>but it tastes completely blah. The housebrand I just finished tastes
>100 times better.

What you're tasting in the house brand mayo is a greater salt
content... I don't want all that excess salt in cold cut sandwiches,
tuna salads, and the like... most of the dishes folks use mayo with
are already plenty salty. I prefer Hellman's because its texture is
consistant, always thick and fluffy... the house brands typically have
a slimey greasy texture. Obviously notbob didn't refrigerate his
properly and probably contaminated it by inserting an unclean
spreader.... I often notice folks leave the mayo jar out for hours
(with the lid off) and everyone at the table reaches in with whichever
utensil they already used to eat with. When Hellman's mayo looks like
notbob describes it's an indication that's it's already spoiled by
bacteria due to **** poor food handling habits. When serving mayo to
guests it's wise to place some on the table in a small bowl and let
them help themselves, when the meal is over toss whatever remains.
It's not smart to put the entire jar on the table for folks to help
themselves. Even for my own use I take what I want when preparing
food on the kitchen counter and then the jar goes right back in the
fridge, it never goes on the table to sit there. People like notbob
ought to use individual serve packets like those at the fast food
joints.
http://www.childcarefood.com/MAYONNA...04_case .html
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/85/c...FQdU4AodYWoAuQ