Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default who said they didn't let their pizza dough rise?

I did that tonight. Let's call it a long "resting" time, but it
wasn't anywhere near a good rising time and I'm impressed. I did
everything the same as I usually do, but the crust was crispier than
usual. So, I'm not going together giving it time to rise anymore.
Nothing suffered from the lack of rising time and it was easy to roll
out. I thought started letting it rise because it was hard to roll
out if I didn't, but I guess that's in the past now. Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/15/2013 8:23 PM, sf wrote:

> I did that tonight. Let's call it a long "resting" time, but it
> wasn't anywhere near a good rising time and I'm impressed. I did
> everything the same as I usually do, but the crust was crispier than
> usual. So, I'm not going together giving it time to rise anymore.
> Nothing suffered from the lack of rising time and it was easy to roll
> out. I thought started letting it rise because it was hard to roll
> out if I didn't, but I guess that's in the past now. Thanks!

I have done this before but was unhappy with the taste. Too bad. Being
able to make a pizza crust in a half hour or so would be a great time
saver. These days, I like to mix in some mashed potato flakes in with
the flour. It's damn tasty!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

>I did that tonight. Let's call it a long "resting" time, but it
>wasn't anywhere near a good rising time and I'm impressed. I did
>everything the same as I usually do, but the crust was crispier than
>usual. So, I'm not going together giving it time to rise anymore.
>Nothing suffered from the lack of rising time and it was easy to roll
>out. I thought started letting it rise because it was hard to roll
>out if I didn't, but I guess that's in the past now. Thanks!

Did you use that recipe that Cheryl posted? I put that on the
list & might do it this week.

If you did-- did you *follow* it?<g>

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 07:23:43 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> sf > wrote:
>

> >I did that tonight. Let's call it a long "resting" time, but it
> >wasn't anywhere near a good rising time and I'm impressed. I did
> >everything the same as I usually do, but the crust was crispier than
> >usual. So, I'm not going to give it time to rise anymore.
> >Nothing suffered from the lack of rising time and it was easy to roll
> >out. I thought I started letting it rise because it was hard to roll
> >out if I didn't, but I guess that's in the past now. Thanks!

> Did you use that recipe that Cheryl posted? I put that on the
> list & might do it this week.

Was it Cheryl that posted about no rise pizza dough?

> If you did-- did you *follow* it?<g>

HA! Fat chance. As I said above: I did everything the way I usually
do - except I skipped the rising. Thanks to her, I don't need to plan
ahead for pizza anymore - which was a good thing because our car was
spending the night in the shop and I needed to go grocery shopping.
My first couple of dinner choices were nixed because the ingredients I
thought I had turned out to be something else. Well, the good part is
that I cleared out the last few cubes of hard salami dippers that were
leftover from the NYE fondue (whizzed them up in the food chopper, put
them on hubby's side of the pizza and he loved it).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-01-16, dsi1 > wrote:

> Being able to make a pizza crust in a half hour or so would be a
> great time saver.

I use this recipe for pizza. It's great:

http://recipes.robbiehaf.com/T/272.htm

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/16/2013 8:50 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2013-01-16, dsi1 > wrote:
>
>> Being able to make a pizza crust in a half hour or so would be a
>> great time saver.

> I use this recipe for pizza. It's great:
>
> http://recipes.robbiehaf.com/T/272.htm
>

> nb

I do basically the same. Got mine from the Betty Crocker cookbook

Except I disagree with this:

"Working from the edges to the center, press dough into a 12" circle."

When I do this I work from the center with the ball of dough outward.
Greased fingers are a must to gently stretch and press it into the 12"
round. Works a treat.

I don't make or buy pizza very often. But this is a very nice thin,
non-risen crust.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> I did that tonight. Let's call it a long "resting" time, but it
> wasn't anywhere near a good rising time and I'm impressed. I did
> everything the same as I usually do, but the crust was crispier than
> usual. So, I'm not going together giving it time to rise anymore.
> Nothing suffered from the lack of rising time and it was easy to roll
> out. I thought started letting it rise because it was hard to roll
> out if I didn't, but I guess that's in the past now. Thanks!

Cheating, I know, but when we want to make pizza at home, we go to a
local pizza shop and buy their dough - it's all portioned out, just
shape, top, and bake. We usually supply our own sauce, cheese, and
other toppings, but we've been known simply to buy all the ingredients
from them and bake it at home ourselves. This was a very popular thing
to do on a rainy day or for a birthday party when the kids were younger.

Of late, we buy refrigerator case dough from TJ or WF. Home cooked, if
not homemade.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 09:58:44 -0500, "Steve Freides" >
wrote:

> Of late, we buy refrigerator case dough from TJ or WF. Home cooked, if
> not homemade.

I bought that stuff a couple of times, but it handles and tastes like
plastic to me - so I decided it was worth my time to make it myself.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/16/2013 9:34 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 1/16/2013 8:50 AM, notbob wrote:
>> On 2013-01-16, dsi1 > wrote:
>>
>>> Being able to make a pizza crust in a half hour or so would be a
>>> great time saver.

>> I use this recipe for pizza. It's great:
>>
>> http://recipes.robbiehaf.com/T/272.htm
>>

>> nb
>>

> I do basically the same. Got mine from the Betty Crocker cookbook
>
> Except I disagree with this:
>
> "Working from the edges to the center, press dough into a 12" circle."

That doesn't even make any sense to me. How would you do that? Do you
think it's a typo?

> When I do this I work from the center with the ball of dough outward.
> Greased fingers are a must to gently stretch and press it into the 12"
> round. Works a treat.

Yes. This is what I do too and probably most people.

Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 09:58:44 -0500, "Steve Freides" >
> wrote:
>
>> Of late, we buy refrigerator case dough from TJ or WF. Home cooked,
>> if not homemade.

> I bought that stuff a couple of times, but it handles and tastes like
> plastic to me - so I decided it was worth my time to make it myself.

It has improved markedly in the last few years, IMHO.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 16, 2013 7:55:47 AM UTC-8, Steve Freides wrote:
> sf wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 09:58:44 -0500, "Steve Freides" >

> > wrote:

> >> Of late, we buy refrigerator case dough from TJ or WF. Home cooked,

> >> if not homemade.

> > I bought that stuff a couple of times, but it handles and tastes like

> > plastic to me - so I decided it was worth my time to make it myself.

> It has improved markedly in the last few years, IMHO.
>

> -S-

sometimes my crust comes out thin and crispy,
and sometimes fat and softy

it can depend on what toppings you are using,
which crust type you prefer, that meal

that's one of the great things i like about pizza,
is you can put all kinds of toppings on it

marc
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 10:55:47 -0500, "Steve Freides" >
wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 09:58:44 -0500, "Steve Freides" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Of late, we buy refrigerator case dough from TJ or WF. Home cooked,
> >> if not homemade.

> > I bought that stuff a couple of times, but it handles and tastes like
> > plastic to me - so I decided it was worth my time to make it myself.

> It has improved markedly in the last few years, IMHO.

Thanks, maybe it's time to give it another try then.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/16/2013 3:50 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2013-01-16, dsi1 > wrote:
>
>> Being able to make a pizza crust in a half hour or so would be a
>> great time saver.

> I use this recipe for pizza. It's great:
>
> http://recipes.robbiehaf.com/T/272.htm
>

> nb

I will try this. Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote:

> Cheating, I know, but when we want to make pizza at home, we go to a
> local pizza shop and buy their dough - it's all portioned out, just
> shape, top, and bake. We usually supply our own sauce, cheese, and
> other toppings, but we've been known simply to buy all the ingredients
> from them and bake it at home ourselves.

WTH? ;0
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 10:55:47 -0500, "Steve Freides" >
> wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:

>>> I bought that stuff a couple of times, but it handles and tastes
>>> like plastic to me - so I decided it was worth my time to make it
>>> myself.

>> It has improved markedly in the last few years, IMHO.
>>

> Thanks, maybe it's time to give it another try then.

TJ's hits the sweet spot here, just the regular stuff not the whole
wheat. Both regular and whole wheat varieties from WF tasted "too
healthy" according to my boys, ages 16 and 20, who are big pizza
consumers.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I mix the dough the day before, and let it rise in the refrigerator. I
just use about 1/2 tsp of yeast to 2 cups of flour. It can go several
days if I don't get around to baking it, and the taste just gets better.

When I'm ready to bake it, I press it into the pan while still cold
(which mostly deflates it, but not completely) and let it rise just the
10 minutes or so while I'm getting the sauce and toppings ready and the
oven preheats. By the time the oven is hot, it goes right in.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 20:53:10 -0500, "Steve Freides" >
wrote:

> Both regular and whole wheat varieties from WF tasted "too
> healthy" according to my boys, ages 16 and 20, who are big pizza
> consumers.

LOLOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 21:58:35 -0600, zxcvbob >
wrote:

> I mix the dough the day before, and let it rise in the refrigerator. I
> just use about 1/2 tsp of yeast to 2 cups of flour. It can go several
> days if I don't get around to baking it, and the taste just gets better.
>
> When I'm ready to bake it, I press it into the pan while still cold
> (which mostly deflates it, but not completely) and let it rise just the
> 10 minutes or so while I'm getting the sauce and toppings ready and the
> oven preheats. By the time the oven is hot, it goes right in.

I used 1 tsp to what turned out to be a lot more like 6 cups of flour.
Maybe it was more than that. I don't measure precisely.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/16/2013 1:23 AM, sf wrote:

> I did that tonight. Let's call it a long "resting" time, but it
> wasn't anywhere near a good rising time and I'm impressed. I did
> everything the same as I usually do, but the crust was crispier than
> usual. So, I'm not going together giving it time to rise anymore.
> Nothing suffered from the lack of rising time and it was easy to roll
> out. I thought started letting it rise because it was hard to roll
> out if I didn't, but I guess that's in the past now. Thanks!

Just now seeing this. Glad it turned out. It is a real timesaver. I
rolled the second one out, too, after doing the first one the usual push
and stretch method which was getting me no where.