Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default filler for BBQ Hamburgers

I want to make my BBQ hamburgers a little bigger,
but without sacrificing Taste

I normally just BBQ them as they are,
with some added spices,
but theycome out on the small side, after the fat burns out

bread crumbs come to mind
or maybe onions

any other [creative] ideas?

marc
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 8, 8:54*am, marco > wrote:
> I want to make my BBQ hamburgers a little bigger,
> but without sacrificing Taste
>
> I normally just BBQ them as they are,
> with some added spices,
> but theycome out on the small side, after the fat burns out
>
> bread crumbs come to mind
> or maybe onions
>
> any other [creative] ideas?
>
> marc

Just make bigger burgers!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 9:14:44 AM UTC-8, Chemo wrote:
> On Jan 8, 8:54*am, marco > wrote:
>
> > I want to make my BBQ hamburgers a little bigger,

> > but without sacrificing Taste

> > I normally just BBQ them as they are,

> > with some added spices,

> > but theycome out on the small side, after the fat burns out

> > bread crumbs come to mind

> > or maybe onions

> > any other [creative] ideas?

> > marc

> Just make bigger burgers!

that thought occurred to me, but I
can only make 4[small] burgers out of a pound of meat

I'd like to make 4 bigger burgers, out of 1 pound

marc
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 8, 9:21*am, marco > wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 9:14:44 AM UTC-8, Chemo wrote:
> > On Jan 8, 8:54*am, marco > wrote:

> > > I want to make my BBQ hamburgers a little bigger,

> > > but without sacrificing Taste

> > > I normally just BBQ them as they are,

> > > with some added spices,

> > > but theycome out on the small side, after the fat burns out

> > > bread crumbs come to mind

> > > or maybe onions

> > > any other [creative] ideas?

> > > marc

> > Just make bigger burgers!

> that thought occurred to me, but I
> can only make 4[small] burgers out of a pound of meat
>
> I'd like to make 4 bigger burgers, out of 1 pound
>
> marc

You could buy more meat or even buy ready made patties. I've heard of
people using oatmeal for a filler.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 9:41:49 AM UTC-8, Chemo wrote:
> On Jan 8, 9:21*am, marco > wrote:

> > > Just make bigger burgers!

> > that thought occurred to me, but I

> > can only make 4[small] burgers out of a pound of meat

> > I'd like to make 4 bigger burgers, out of 1 pound

> > marc

> You could buy more meat or even buy ready made patties. I've heard of
>
> people using oatmeal for a filler.

I'm trying to cut down on red meat

oatmeal sounds interesting

marc

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/8/2013 11:54 AM, marco wrote:
> I want to make my BBQ hamburgers a little bigger,
> but without sacrificing Taste
>
> I normally just BBQ them as they are,
> with some added spices,
> but theycome out on the small side, after the fat burns out
>
> bread crumbs come to mind
> or maybe onions
>
> any other [creative] ideas?
>
> marc

"Oriental" Burgers

1 lb. ground chuck
1/4 lb. sliced button mushrooms, finely chopped
1 c. water chestnuts, finely chopped
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. ground ginger powder
3 Tbs. soy or teriyaki sauce (I use the low sodium version)
1 Tbs. dry sherry
salt & pepper to taste
2 tbs. cornstarch

Mince the mushrooms and water chestnuts. In a large mixing bowl,
combine the beef with the mushrooms and water chestnuts. Add the beaten
egg. In a small bowl, blend soy or teriyaki, sherry, S&P, garlic and
ginger. Mix in with the ground beef. Sprinkle lightly with cornstarch.
Form into six 1" thick hamburger patties. The mixture will be moist.
Brush the grill rack lightly with oil. (Do the same if you're going
to broil them on a rack in the oven.) Cook about 5 minutes on each side.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 8, 11:54*am, marco > wrote:
> I want to make my BBQ hamburgers a little bigger,
> but without sacrificing Taste
>
> I normally just BBQ them as they are,
> with some added spices,
> but theycome out on the small side, after the fat burns out
>
> bread crumbs come to mind
> or maybe onions
>
> any other [creative] ideas?
>
> marc

Yes, I have one.

Try adding cooked wheat berries. They're kind of chewy like hamburger
and good for you.

--
Silvar Beitel
Posted to rec.food.cooking

marco wrote:
> I want to make my BBQ hamburgers a little bigger,
> but without sacrificing Taste
>
> I normally just BBQ them as they are,
> with some added spices,
> but theycome out on the small side, after the fat burns out
>
> bread crumbs come to mind
> or maybe onions
>
> any other [creative] ideas?
>
> marc

If you do that, it will taste like meatloaf instead of hamburger. The
only cheap extenders that might work are TVP or ground pork or ground
turkey -- and that's only if you don't try to extend it too far.

The beef you're using might be too fatty. Get "ground chuck" or "85% lean".

I usually make 1/3 pound burgers. 1/4 is too small, and just an ounce
and a half more meat makes a huge difference.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"marco" > wrote in message
On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 9:14:44 AM UTC-8, Chemo wrote:
> On Jan 8, 8:54 am, marco > wrote:
>
> > I want to make my BBQ hamburgers a little bigger,

> > but without sacrificing Taste

> > I normally just BBQ them as they are,

> > with some added spices,

> > but theycome out on the small side, after the fat burns out

> > bread crumbs come to mind

> > or maybe onions

> > any other [creative] ideas?

> > marc

> Just make bigger burgers!

that thought occurred to me, but I
can only make 4[small] burgers out of a pound of meat

I'd like to make 4 bigger burgers, out of 1 pound

marc

There is a direct relationship between the fat content/ratio and the size
of the finished product. What is the type of ground beef you are using? If
85/15 then you can expect quite a bit of shrinkage. probably 10% or more.
In addition the amount of heat or doneness will determine the finished
product. Do not PRESS the patties with the spatula.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 10:04:28 AM UTC-8, Dimitri wrote:
> "marco" > wrote in message

> On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 9:14:44 AM UTC-8, Chemo wrote:
>
> > On Jan 8, 8:54 am, marco > wrote:

> > > I want to make my BBQ hamburgers a little bigger,

> > > but without sacrificing Taste

> > > I normally just BBQ them as they are,

> > > with some added spices,

> > > but theycome out on the small side, after the fat burns out

> > > bread crumbs come to mind

> > > or maybe onions

> > > any other [creative] ideas?

> > > marc

> > Just make bigger burgers!

> that thought occurred to me, but I
>
> can only make 4[small] burgers out of a pound of meat
>

> I'd like to make 4 bigger burgers, out of 1 pound
>

> marc
>

> There is a direct relationship between the fat content/ratio and the size
>
> of the finished product. What is the type of ground beef you are using? If
>
> 85/15 then you can expect quite a bit of shrinkage. probably 10% or more.
>
> In addition the amount of heat or doneness will determine the finished
>
> product. Do not PRESS the patties with the spatula.
>

> Dimitri

I'm using 80%

I tried the next higher, but I didn't care for it,
I don't remember the %% - close to 90% I think..?

thanks all, for the ideas

marc

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"marco" > wrote in message
>I want to make my BBQ hamburgers a little bigger,
> but without sacrificing Taste
>
> I normally just BBQ them as they are,
> with some added spices,
> but theycome out on the small side, after the fat burns out
>
> bread crumbs come to mind
> or maybe onions
>
> any other [creative] ideas?
>
> marc

buy more meat.

But I would like to know what others use to make the best burgers. I have
heard of burgers made with some or all brisket, I have heard of the addition
of liver or chicken liver, etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

marco > wrote:

>I want to make my BBQ hamburgers a little bigger,
>but without sacrificing Taste
>
>I normally just BBQ them as they are,
>with some added spices,
>but theycome out on the small side, after the fat burns out
>
>bread crumbs come to mind
>or maybe onions
>
>any other [creative] ideas?

I see all the ones I thought of have been mentioned- though not in the
same post
#1, IMO, is chopped mushrooms- I like Crimini. I whir mine in the
food professor so they are about as fine as the hamburger. I have
used as much as 1 part mushrooms to 2 parts hamburger. [volume
measure]

#2- Wheatberries- tasty- chewy- healthy. Soak in broth/sherry for
an extra flavor.

#3- oatmeal isn't bad. It disappears. Doesn't add anything but
bulk, IMO.

And is you aren't *already* putting onions [and/or
celery/carrots/parsnips] in your burger- whatsamattawityou?

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 10:41:39 AM UTC-8, James Elbrecht wrote:
> marco > wrote:
>

> >I want to make my BBQ hamburgers a little bigger,

> >but without sacrificing Taste

> >I normally just BBQ them as they are,

> >with some added spices,

> >but theycome out on the small side, after the fat burns out

> >bread crumbs come to mind

> >or maybe onions

> >any other [creative] ideas?

> I see all the ones I thought of have been mentioned- though not in the
>
> same post
>
> #1, IMO, is chopped mushrooms- I like Crimini. I whir mine in the
>
> food professor so they are about as fine as the hamburger. I have
>
> used as much as 1 part mushrooms to 2 parts hamburger. [volume
>
> measure]
>

> #2- Wheatberries- tasty- chewy- healthy. Soak in broth/sherry for
>
> an extra flavor.
>

> #3- oatmeal isn't bad. It disappears. Doesn't add anything but
>
> bulk, IMO.
>

> And is you aren't *already* putting onions [and/or
>
> celery/carrots/parsnips] in your burger- whatsamattawityou?
>

> Jim

chopped Mushrooms is something I hadn't thought of...

I wonder if Brown Rice would work
I eat alot of brown rice, so something i might try

marc
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pico Rico wrote:
> "marco" > wrote in message
>> I want to make my BBQ hamburgers a little bigger,
>> but without sacrificing Taste
>>
>> I normally just BBQ them as they are,
>> with some added spices,
>> but theycome out on the small side, after the fat burns out
>>
>> bread crumbs come to mind
>> or maybe onions
>>
>> any other [creative] ideas?
>>
>> marc

> buy more meat.
>
> But I would like to know what others use to make the best burgers. I
> have heard of burgers made with some or all brisket, I have heard of
> the addition of liver or chicken liver, etc.

We keep varying it - I'm partial to half beef, half ground pork. Two
nights ago, we made very thin patties then doubled them up, putting a
cheese "surprise" in the middle.

IMHO, as important as the cut of meat is its other attributes. We buy
local, grass-fed, ground beef at Whole Foods and think it tastes great.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 08/01/2013 11:54 AM, marco wrote:
> I want to make my BBQ hamburgers a little bigger,
> but without sacrificing Taste
>
> I normally just BBQ them as they are,
> with some added spices,
> but theycome out on the small side, after the fat burns out
>
> bread crumbs come to mind
> or maybe onions
>
> any other [creative] ideas?

I make hamburgers with a mix of ground beef and pork. For a pound of
meat I mix a handful of bread crumbs, salt, pepper and a pinch of garlic
powder. I flatten the meat over the crumbs and give it a couple dashes
of Worcester sauce. Then I need everything together and form it into
patties.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/8/2013 10:54 AM, marco wrote:
> I want to make my BBQ hamburgers a little bigger,
> but without sacrificing Taste
>
> I normally just BBQ them as they are,
> with some added spices,
> but theycome out on the small side, after the fat burns out
>
> bread crumbs come to mind
> or maybe onions
>
> any other [creative] ideas?

1. Add moisture to the mixture before forming into patties. A beaten
egg, or crushed ice, or a couple tablespoons of bbq sauce.

2. Make the patties wider and thinner. They'll cook faster, meaning
less shrinkage - and since they start out larger, they should still
fit the bun.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Ona Tuesday, January 8, 2013 8:54:13 AM UTC-8, marco wrote:
> I want to make my BBQ hamburgers a little bigger,
>
> but without sacrificing Taste
>

> I normally just BBQ them as they are,
>
> with some added spices,
>
> but theycome out on the small side, after the fat burns out
>

> bread crumbs come to mind
>
> or maybe onions
>

> any other [creative] ideas?
>

> marc

I assume you mean made on the grill, not bbq in the long-smoked sense.

I don't like too many additions because I don't want my burger turned into a meatloaf. But a little grated onion and a bit of sausage or ground pork are good. Say 1/4 as much pork as burger. A little grated garlic wouldn't hurt either. You want to grate/liquefy them so as to avoid a raw taste. That's about all. No egg, no breadcrumbs. When you form the patties, make a concave dent in them to offset the way they tend to swell up in the middle. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 8, 11:54*am, marco > wrote:
> I want to make my BBQ hamburgers a little bigger,
> but without sacrificing Taste
>
> I normally just BBQ them as they are,
> with some added spices,
> but theycome out on the small side, after the fat burns out
>
> bread crumbs come to mind
> or maybe onions
>
> any other [creative] ideas?
>
> marc

Add a hot Italian (or mild if you're so inclined) pork sausage or two.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Marc wrote:

>I normally just BBQ them as they are,
>with some added spices,
>but theycome out on the small side, after
> the fat burns out

>bread crumbs come to mind
>or maybe onions

>any other [creative] ideas?

I rarely ever use beef, as hubby is a moose hunter, so we stock our
freezer up with the meat for the winter. We have it cut & wrapped by a
professional meat cutter, and have him grind up a lot into burger. We
have him add a small % of beef fat, to make it a little juicier, and
just has a better flavor with a little beef fat in it. I usually add
some seasoning...little garlic powder, celery salt, onion powder,
seasoned salt and seasoned pepper and a few dashes of Worcestershire
sauce. I have added some crushed crackers, or crunched up cereal, like
Corn Flakes, or bread crumbs (never oatmeal) and a egg to bind it
together and cause less shrinkage, but we like the flavor without many
added ingredients. I press them out onto waxed paper big and not real
thick and fry on a medium heat (we don't grill) and they turn out great.

Always have a plate of sliced onions, tomatoes, cheese, pickles and
lettuce leaves for garnish to go on them once they are cooked, plus
mayonnaise, of course, and often mustard for those that like that. I
like 1000 Island dressing on half of the bun and the other half, I want
mayo.

If I do use beef (when we start to run low on moose) I get the 96% super
lean ground round and isn't too much shrinkage with that. You probably
don't have ready access to moose meat, but...just telling you how I do
it. <:}

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

marco wrote:

> I wonder if Brown Rice would work
> I eat alot of brown rice, so something i might try

Don't do that. You want good burgers, use a good cut of meat. The best
I've had so far were made from ground sirloin. Some day, I'd like to try
ground ribeye but it's hard to grind one of those.

As for fillers? Don't mix anything into your burgers. Add anything that
appeals to you on the bun WITH a burger. And if as you originally said, you
want bigger burgers, just buy more meat and make them bigger.....meat only.

Gary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 08:54:13 -0800 (PST), marco >
wrote:

> I want to make my BBQ hamburgers a little bigger,
> but without sacrificing Taste
>
> I normally just BBQ them as they are,
> with some added spices,
> but theycome out on the small side, after the fat burns out
>
> bread crumbs come to mind
> or maybe onions
>
> any other [creative] ideas?

Buy hamburger meat with less fat in it and they won't shrink so much.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 23:14:51 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

>On 8-Jan-2013, Chemo > wrote:
>
>> You could buy more meat or even buy ready made patties. I've heard of
>> people using oatmeal for a filler.

>Many years ago, I had a part-time job in college delivering supplies to
>schools, including cafeteria supplies. Coarse bulgur wheat was a
>regular on the supply list; the cafeteria used it as filler in every
>ground beef item served - hamburgers, meatloaf, tacos, whatever. I
>think the ratio was around 5 ounces (dry weight) per pound of meat.
>Cook and cool the bulgur before adding to the meat. A Google search for
>bulgur burgers or bulgur hamburgers should turn up a recipe.

I think adding buckwheat groats to burgers/meatloaf works very well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/8/2013 10:54 AM, marco wrote:
> I want to make my BBQ hamburgers a little bigger,
> but without sacrificing Taste
>
> I normally just BBQ them as they are,
> with some added spices,
> but theycome out on the small side, after the fat burns out
>
> bread crumbs come to mind
> or maybe onions
>
> any other [creative] ideas?
>
> marc

Wheat germ. I'm not kidding.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder > wrote:

>On 1/8/2013 10:54 AM, marco wrote:

>> I want to make my BBQ hamburgers a little bigger,
>> but without sacrificing Taste
>>
>> I normally just BBQ them as they are,
>> with some added spices,
>> but theycome out on the small side, after the fat burns out
>>
>> bread crumbs come to mind
>> or maybe onions
>>
>> any other [creative] ideas?

>Wheat germ. I'm not kidding.

Try James Beard method -- put raw hamburger in bun, place entire
thing on grill.

Don't laugh if you haven't tried it.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-01-09, Susan > wrote:

> I would never buy boneless ribs.

Of course not. It's an oxymoron, with the perpetrators depending heavily
on the "moron" factor to sell the product.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"marco" > wrote in message
>I want to make my BBQ hamburgers a little bigger,
> but without sacrificing Taste
>
> I normally just BBQ them as they are,
> with some added spices,
> but theycome out on the small side, after the fat burns out
>
> bread crumbs come to mind
> or maybe onions
>
> any other [creative] ideas?
>
> marc

My sister-in-law, I kid you not, uses crushed potato chips and pretzels in
her burgers and they taste pretty good!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Flank steak used to be dirt cheap.

What wasn't "dirt cheap" in 1977?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George M. Middius" > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Flank steak used to be dirt cheap.

> What wasn't "dirt cheap" in 1977?

everything, if you remembered what it cost in 1957.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pico Rico wrote:
> "George M. Middius" > wrote in message
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> Flank steak used to be dirt cheap.

>> What wasn't "dirt cheap" in 1977?
>>

> everything, if you remembered what it cost in 1957.

E.g., gasoline, which went up a lot in the mid 1970's.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/8/2013 1:31 PM, Susan wrote:

> Also, I always make my home ground burgers wide, and with a bowl shaped
> indentation in the middle to avoid that tiny but tall burger problem and
> uneven cooking.

Thanks Susan! I'm going to try this when I make my next burger. Do you
make the indentation on both sides of the burger?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 12:39:01 PM UTC-6, Susan wrote:

> Some chefs say that brisket/short rib/chuck or other combos are best.
>

> I've tried several combinations and find that plain flank steak is our
>
> favorite, home ground just before cooking.

Geez, flank steak is expensive around here. Boneless strips go on sale for $5.99/#, but flank is never less than $7.99.

> Susan

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 12:41:39 PM UTC-6, James Elbrecht wrote:
> marco > wrote:
>

> >I want to make my BBQ hamburgers a little bigger,

> >but without sacrificing Taste

> >I normally just BBQ them as they are,

> >with some added spices,

> >but theycome out on the small side, after the fat burns out

> >bread crumbs come to mind

> >or maybe onions

> >any other [creative] ideas?

> I see all the ones I thought of have been mentioned- though not in the
>
> same post
>
> #1, IMO, is chopped mushrooms- I like Crimini. I whir mine in the
>
> food professor so they are about as fine as the hamburger. I have
>
> used as much as 1 part mushrooms to 2 parts hamburger. [volume
>
> measure]

That sounds delicious, but I think that the OP was trying to save money, and Crimini mushrooms are more expensive than beef.

> #2- Wheatberries- tasty- chewy- healthy. Soak in broth/sherry for
>
> an extra flavor.

I can see that. Barely cracked wheat berries is an interesting idea.

> #3- oatmeal isn't bad. It disappears. Doesn't add anything but
>
> bulk, IMO.

You mean it merely dilutes the flavor.

> And is you aren't *already* putting onions [and/or
>
> celery/carrots/parsnips] in your burger- whatsamattawityou?

I like pure beef.

> Jim

--Bryan