Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Coq au Vin Blanc

Coq au vin rouge is one of the world's most famous dishes and, as far as
I am concerned, also one of the most overrated. It is incomparably
better made with (and accompanied by) white wine. I posted an Alsatian
version of coq au Riesling before; this one is made with chardonnay and
is very nice indeed, too. Instead of a jointed whole chicken I used
chicken legs and thighs; instead of butter flavoured with Oregon black
truffles I used Italian-produced butter flavoured with summer truffles;
instead of pearl onions I used small shallots, peeled but not blanched.

Victor

Pairings: Coq au Vin Blanc
By FLORENCE FABRICANT

Just as Oregon borrows from Burgundy in vineyards planted with pinot
noirs and chardonnays, that region also inspires dinner. The iconic
boeuf bourguignon would not be the best choice with chardonnay, but this
version of coq au vin, replacing Chambertin with chardonnay, couldn't be
better. I went light with it, omitting the bacon lardons. And I gave a
nod to Oregon's truffle crop by finishing the sauce with a gloss of
black truffle butter. It's a modest investment that elevates the dish.
A generous slab of unsalted butter (especially if it's high-fat
European-style) could also bolster the sauce, though with less foxy
intrigue.

Coq au Vin Blanc
Time: 1 hour 20 minutes

1 tablespoon grape-seed oil
1 3 1/2-pound chicken, in 10 pieces without backbone, dried
Salt and ground white pepper
8 ounces white pearl onions, blanched 3 minutes and peeled
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped celery
4 cloves garlic, sliced
9 ounces oyster mushrooms, trimmed, clumps separated
3/4 cup chardonnay
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons butter (unsalted or black truffle)
1 tablespoon minced tarragon

1. Heat the oil on medium-high in a 4-quart stovetop casserole or sauté
pan. Add the chicken, skin side down, as many pieces as fit
comfortably. Cook until lightly browned, season with salt and pepper
and turn to brown other side. Remove to a platter when done and repeat
with the remaining chicken.

2. Add the pearl onions to casserole and toss in fat until lightly
browned. Remove to a dish. Reduce heat to low. Add the chopped onion,
celery and garlic, cook until softened, and stir in the mushrooms. When
they wilt, add the wine, bring to a simmer and season with salt, pepper
and lemon juice. Return chicken to casserole with any accumulated
juices, baste, cover and cook 30 minutes, basting a few more times.
Remove the chicken to a platter.

3. Increase heat to medium-high and cook the sauce and mushrooms about
5 minutes, until sauce thickens slightly. Lower heat, add the pearl
onions and butter. When butter melts, check seasonings, return chicken
to casserole, baste and simmer a few minutes. Serve from casserole or
transfer to a deep platter. Scatter the tarragon on top before serving.

Yield: 4 servings.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 00:06:53 +0100, (Victor Sack)
wrote:

> I gave a
> nod to Oregon's truffle crop by finishing the sauce with a gloss of
> black truffle butter. It's a modest investment that elevates the dish.
> A generous slab of unsalted butter (especially if it's high-fat
> European-style) could also bolster the sauce, though with less foxy
> intrigue.
>
> Coq au Vin Blanc
> Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
>
> 1 tablespoon grape-seed oil
> 1 3 1/2-pound chicken, in 10 pieces without backbone, dried
> Salt and ground white pepper
> 8 ounces white pearl onions, blanched 3 minutes and peeled
> 1 medium onion, finely chopped
> 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
> 4 cloves garlic, sliced
> 9 ounces oyster mushrooms, trimmed, clumps separated
> 3/4 cup chardonnay
> 1 tablespoon lemon juice
> 2 tablespoons butter (unsalted or black truffle)
> 1 tablespoon minced tarragon
>
> 1. Heat the oil on medium-high in a 4-quart stovetop casserole or sauté
> pan. Add the chicken, skin side down, as many pieces as fit
> comfortably. Cook until lightly browned, season with salt and pepper
> and turn to brown other side. Remove to a platter when done and repeat
> with the remaining chicken.
>
> 2. Add the pearl onions to casserole and toss in fat until lightly
> browned. Remove to a dish. Reduce heat to low. Add the chopped onion,
> celery and garlic, cook until softened, and stir in the mushrooms. When
> they wilt, add the wine, bring to a simmer and season with salt, pepper
> and lemon juice. Return chicken to casserole with any accumulated
> juices, baste, cover and cook 30 minutes, basting a few more times.
> Remove the chicken to a platter.
>
> 3. Increase heat to medium-high and cook the sauce and mushrooms about
> 5 minutes, until sauce thickens slightly. Lower heat, add the pearl
> onions and butter. When butter melts, check seasonings, return chicken
> to casserole, baste and simmer a few minutes. Serve from casserole or
> transfer to a deep platter. Scatter the tarragon on top before serving.
>
> Yield: 4 servings.

Thanks, that looks good enough to give a try and I just happen to have
some of that truffle butter on hand. Tarragon is another matter,
fresh or dried. Not that I don't like tarragon, but I am not French
and don't have enough uses for it to replace the stale bottle of dried
tarragon that I finally threw out, but this recipe looks good enough
that I'll buy tarragon.... not sure what form it will be in yet, but I
can always freeze "fresh" tarragon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 22:52:24 -0800, sf > wrote:

>Thanks, that looks good enough to give a try and I just happen to have
>some of that truffle butter on hand. Tarragon is another matter,
>fresh or dried. Not that I don't like tarragon, but I am not French
>and don't have enough uses for it to replace the stale bottle of dried
>tarragon that I finally threw out, but this recipe looks good enough
>that I'll buy tarragon.... not sure what form it will be in yet, but I
>can always freeze "fresh" tarragon.

Great with poultry and fish. One of my 'staple' herbs. I always add it
to a roast chook, along with half a lemon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 00:06:53 +0100, (Victor Sack)
> wrote:
>
>> I gave a
>> nod to Oregon's truffle crop by finishing the sauce with a gloss of
>> black truffle butter. It's a modest investment that elevates the dish.
>> A generous slab of unsalted butter (especially if it's high-fat
>> European-style) could also bolster the sauce, though with less foxy
>> intrigue.
>>
>> Coq au Vin Blanc
>> Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
>>
>> 1 tablespoon grape-seed oil
>> 1 3 1/2-pound chicken, in 10 pieces without backbone, dried
>> Salt and ground white pepper
>> 8 ounces white pearl onions, blanched 3 minutes and peeled
>> 1 medium onion, finely chopped
>> 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
>> 4 cloves garlic, sliced
>> 9 ounces oyster mushrooms, trimmed, clumps separated
>> 3/4 cup chardonnay
>> 1 tablespoon lemon juice
>> 2 tablespoons butter (unsalted or black truffle)
>> 1 tablespoon minced tarragon
>>
>> 1. Heat the oil on medium-high in a 4-quart stovetop casserole or sauté
>> pan. Add the chicken, skin side down, as many pieces as fit
>> comfortably. Cook until lightly browned, season with salt and pepper
>> and turn to brown other side. Remove to a platter when done and repeat
>> with the remaining chicken.
>>
>> 2. Add the pearl onions to casserole and toss in fat until lightly
>> browned. Remove to a dish. Reduce heat to low. Add the chopped onion,
>> celery and garlic, cook until softened, and stir in the mushrooms. When
>> they wilt, add the wine, bring to a simmer and season with salt, pepper
>> and lemon juice. Return chicken to casserole with any accumulated
>> juices, baste, cover and cook 30 minutes, basting a few more times.
>> Remove the chicken to a platter.
>>
>> 3. Increase heat to medium-high and cook the sauce and mushrooms about
>> 5 minutes, until sauce thickens slightly. Lower heat, add the pearl
>> onions and butter. When butter melts, check seasonings, return chicken
>> to casserole, baste and simmer a few minutes. Serve from casserole or
>> transfer to a deep platter. Scatter the tarragon on top before serving.
>>
>> Yield: 4 servings.

> Thanks, that looks good enough to give a try and I just happen to have
> some of that truffle butter on hand. Tarragon is another matter,
> fresh or dried. Not that I don't like tarragon, but I am not French
> and don't have enough uses for it to replace the stale bottle of dried
> tarragon that I finally threw out, but this recipe looks good enough
> that I'll buy tarragon.... not sure what form it will be in yet, but I
> can always freeze "fresh" tarragon.
>

> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 00:06:53 +0100, (Victor Sack)
> wrote:
>
>> I gave a
>> nod to Oregon's truffle crop by finishing the sauce with a gloss of
>> black truffle butter. It's a modest investment that elevates the
>> dish. A generous slab of unsalted butter (especially if it's high-fat
>> European-style) could also bolster the sauce, though with less foxy
>> intrigue.
>>
>> Coq au Vin Blanc
>> Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
>>
>> 1 tablespoon grape-seed oil
>> 1 3 1/2-pound chicken, in 10 pieces without backbone, dried
>> Salt and ground white pepper
>> 8 ounces white pearl onions, blanched 3 minutes and peeled
>> 1 medium onion, finely chopped
>> 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
>> 4 cloves garlic, sliced
>> 9 ounces oyster mushrooms, trimmed, clumps separated
>> 3/4 cup chardonnay
>> 1 tablespoon lemon juice
>> 2 tablespoons butter (unsalted or black truffle)
>> 1 tablespoon minced tarragon
>>
>> 1. Heat the oil on medium-high in a 4-quart stovetop casserole or
>> sauté pan. Add the chicken, skin side down, as many pieces as fit
>> comfortably. Cook until lightly browned, season with salt and pepper
>> and turn to brown other side. Remove to a platter when done and
>> repeat with the remaining chicken.
>>
>> 2. Add the pearl onions to casserole and toss in fat until lightly
>> browned. Remove to a dish. Reduce heat to low. Add the chopped
>> onion, celery and garlic, cook until softened, and stir in the
>> mushrooms. When they wilt, add the wine, bring to a simmer and
>> season with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Return chicken to
>> casserole with any accumulated juices, baste, cover and cook 30
>> minutes, basting a few more times. Remove the chicken to a platter.
>>
>> 3. Increase heat to medium-high and cook the sauce and mushrooms
>> about 5 minutes, until sauce thickens slightly. Lower heat, add the
>> pearl onions and butter. When butter melts, check seasonings,
>> return chicken to casserole, baste and simmer a few minutes. Serve
>> from casserole or transfer to a deep platter. Scatter the tarragon
>> on top before serving.
>>
>> Yield: 4 servings.

> Thanks, that looks good enough to give a try and I just happen to have
> some of that truffle butter on hand. Tarragon is another matter,
> fresh or dried. Not that I don't like tarragon, but I am not French
> and don't have enough uses for it to replace the stale bottle of dried
> tarragon that I finally threw out, but this recipe looks good enough
> that I'll buy tarragon.... not sure what form it will be in yet, but I
> can always freeze "fresh" tarragon.

I like buying dried spices and herbs at Target because they carry a variety
of sizes. I can get small bottles of things I don't use much of. Some of
the grocery stores here also have small jars but not all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default tarragon; was REC: Coq au Vin Blanc

On 12/31/2012 1:52 AM, sf wrote:
>Tarragon is another matter,
> fresh or dried. Not that I don't like tarragon, but I am not French
> and don't have enough uses for it to replace the stale bottle of dried
> tarragon that I finally threw out, but this recipe looks good enough
> that I'll buy tarragon.... not sure what form it will be in yet, but I
> can always freeze "fresh" tarragon.

If rosemary grows and survives in your neck of the woods, then tarragon
should survive, too! Heck, the tarragon plant planted in my front
yard some years ago still survives to this day - dang, but it's
resilient :> Er, as does the mint patch, too.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 03:05:16 -0500, Sky >
wrote:

>On 12/31/2012 1:52 AM, sf wrote:
>>Tarragon is another matter,
>> fresh or dried. Not that I don't like tarragon, but I am not French
>> and don't have enough uses for it to replace the stale bottle of dried
>> tarragon that I finally threw out, but this recipe looks good enough
>> that I'll buy tarragon.... not sure what form it will be in yet, but I
>> can always freeze "fresh" tarragon.

>If rosemary grows and survives in your neck of the woods, then tarragon
>should survive, too! Heck, the tarragon plant planted in my front
>yard some years ago still survives to this day - dang, but it's
>resilient :> Er, as does the mint patch, too.

I would venture to say its tougher than Rosemary. We have severe
frosts here and I've lost many Rosemary bushes... the Tarragon always
dies back in winter but come springtime, it always regrows.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 03:05:16 -0500, Sky >
> wrote:
>
>>On 12/31/2012 1:52 AM, sf wrote:
>>>Tarragon is another matter,
>>> fresh or dried. Not that I don't like tarragon, but I am not French
>>> and don't have enough uses for it to replace the stale bottle of dried
>>> tarragon that I finally threw out, but this recipe looks good enough
>>> that I'll buy tarragon.... not sure what form it will be in yet, but I
>>> can always freeze "fresh" tarragon.

>>If rosemary grows and survives in your neck of the woods, then tarragon
>>should survive, too! Heck, the tarragon plant planted in my front
>>yard some years ago still survives to this day - dang, but it's
>>resilient :> Er, as does the mint patch, too.

> I would venture to say its tougher than Rosemary. We have severe
> frosts here and I've lost many Rosemary bushes... the Tarragon always
> dies back in winter but come springtime, it always regrows.

But it should be divided aobut every 3 years to keep it vigourous. I love
tarragon - one of those swoon worthy herbs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> On 12/31/2012 1:52 AM, sf wrote:
> >Tarragon is another matter,
> > fresh or dried. Not that I don't like tarragon, but I am not French
> > and don't have enough uses for it to replace the stale bottle of dried
> > tarragon that I finally threw out, but this recipe looks good enough
> > that I'll buy tarragon.... not sure what form it will be in yet, but I
> > can always freeze "fresh" tarragon.

> If rosemary grows and survives in your neck of the woods, then tarragon
> should survive, too! Heck, the tarragon plant planted in my front
> yard some years ago still survives to this day - dang, but it's
> resilient :> Er, as does the mint patch, too.

How much water does it get? It won't get watered if it doesn't fall
from the sky and IMO, if mint survives in your yard - it's either
because of rain or you're watering it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 19:15:13 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 03:05:16 -0500, Sky >
> wrote:
>
> >On 12/31/2012 1:52 AM, sf wrote:
> >>Tarragon is another matter,
> >> fresh or dried. Not that I don't like tarragon, but I am not French
> >> and don't have enough uses for it to replace the stale bottle of dried
> >> tarragon that I finally threw out, but this recipe looks good enough
> >> that I'll buy tarragon.... not sure what form it will be in yet, but I
> >> can always freeze "fresh" tarragon.

> >If rosemary grows and survives in your neck of the woods, then tarragon
> >should survive, too! Heck, the tarragon plant planted in my front
> >yard some years ago still survives to this day - dang, but it's
> >resilient :> Er, as does the mint patch, too.

> I would venture to say its tougher than Rosemary. We have severe
> frosts here and I've lost many Rosemary bushes... the Tarragon always
> dies back in winter but come springtime, it always regrows.

Frost isn't the issue here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 22:49:34 +1100, "Farm1" >
wrote:

>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
>news
>> On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 03:05:16 -0500, Sky >
>> wrote:

>>>If rosemary grows and survives in your neck of the woods, then tarragon
>>>should survive, too! Heck, the tarragon plant planted in my front
>>>yard some years ago still survives to this day - dang, but it's
>>>resilient :> Er, as does the mint patch, too.

>> I would venture to say its tougher than Rosemary. We have severe
>> frosts here and I've lost many Rosemary bushes... the Tarragon always
>> dies back in winter but come springtime, it always regrows.

>But it should be divided aobut every 3 years to keep it vigourous. I love
>tarragon - one of those swoon worthy herbs.

That's something I should do... will do today.
Thanks
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 22:49:34 +1100, "Farm1" >
> wrote:
>
>>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
>>news

>>> I would venture to say its tougher than Rosemary. We have severe
>>> frosts here and I've lost many Rosemary bushes... the Tarragon always
>>> dies back in winter but come springtime, it always regrows.

>>But it should be divided aobut every 3 years to keep it vigourous. I love
>>tarragon - one of those swoon worthy herbs.

> That's something I should do... will do today.
> Thanks

Yikes! I didn't mean for that advice to be taken literally for action at
this time of the year. I'm done for by the garden heat by midday so imagine
how a transplanted herb may react.

If you are going to do it today however, check how the temps are going to go
over the next few days. And try to give it some shade for a few days so it
can settle in and water well too till it gets its roots established. I cut
bits of Sacred Bamboo (nandina domestica) and use that as shade unbrellas to
protect transplants - works a treat and the only real reason why it's worth
growing as far as I'm concerned.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Jan 2013 15:06:28 +1100, "Farm1" >
wrote:

>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 22:49:34 +1100, "Farm1" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
>>>news >>>> On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 03:05:16 -0500, Sky >

>>>But it should be divided aobut every 3 years to keep it vigourous. I love
>>>tarragon - one of those swoon worthy herbs.

>> That's something I should do... will do today.
>> Thanks

>Yikes! I didn't mean for that advice to be taken literally for action at
>this time of the year. I'm done for by the garden heat by midday so imagine
>how a transplanted herb may react.
>
>If you are going to do it today however, check how the temps are going to go
>over the next few days. And try to give it some shade for a few days so it
>can settle in and water well too till it gets its roots established. I cut
>bits of Sacred Bamboo (nandina domestica) and use that as shade unbrellas to
>protect transplants - works a treat and the only real reason why it's worth
>growing as far as I'm concerned.

Not to worry, I didn't get around to doing it

The weather here isn't that brutally hot, if fact I was wearing a
beanie when out doing the rounds this morning.

Actually, it has hit 31°C today - the hottest we've had this summer -
but still quite cool inside the house and the shade houses, I reckon
the tarragon would handle it okay.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 1 Jan 2013 15:06:28 +1100, "Farm1" >
> wrote:
>>Yikes! I didn't mean for that advice to be taken literally for action at
>>this time of the year. I'm done for by the garden heat by midday so
>>imagine
>>how a transplanted herb may react.
>>
>>If you are going to do it today however, check how the temps are going to
>>go
>>over the next few days. And try to give it some shade for a few days so
>>it
>>can settle in and water well too till it gets its roots established. I
>>cut
>>bits of Sacred Bamboo (nandina domestica) and use that as shade unbrellas
>>protect transplants - works a treat and the only real reason why it's
>>worth
>>growing as far as I'm concerned.

> Not to worry, I didn't get around to doing it

LOL. Well that's a relief! I was worried about your poor gaggin tarragon
gaspign for water in a blazing sun.

> The weather here isn't that brutally hot, if fact I was wearing a
> beanie when out doing the rounds this morning.

Send some this way please!

> Actually, it has hit 31°C today - the hottest we've had this summer -
> but still quite cool inside the house and the shade houses, I reckon
> the tarragon would handle it okay.

Probably. BTW, I found a Brown Snake in my plastic Geyde bin the other day.
It was a shock for both of us as you can imagine :-))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 13:32:20 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

> Actually, it has hit 31°C today - the hottest we've had this summer -
> but still quite cool inside the house and the shade houses, I reckon
> the tarragon would handle it okay.

How cold does it get there? I tried to buy Tarragon at the nursery
today and was out of luck. They told me they don't sell it this time
of year and the person I talked to said hers doesn't like it in San
Francisco. She says her French Tarragon is 3 years old, grows just a
few inches during the growing season and then dies back. Do you find
that tarragon is deciduous? She says it dies back to the ground every
year.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 13:32:20 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>> Actually, it has hit 31°C today - the hottest we've had this summer -
>> but still quite cool inside the house and the shade houses, I reckon
>> the tarragon would handle it okay.

> How cold does it get there? I tried to buy Tarragon at the nursery
> today and was out of luck. They told me they don't sell it this time
> of year and the person I talked to said hers doesn't like it in San
> Francisco. She says her French Tarragon is 3 years old, grows just a
> few inches during the growing season and then dies back. Do you find
> that tarragon is deciduous? She says it dies back to the ground every
> year.

Doesn't sound like the French variety!
Mine grows about 3 feet tall every year and dies back in the severe winters
here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jan 2013 07:37:39 -0700, "graham" > wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 13:32:20 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:
> >
> >> Actually, it has hit 31°C today - the hottest we've had this summer -
> >> but still quite cool inside the house and the shade houses, I reckon
> >> the tarragon would handle it okay.

> > How cold does it get there? I tried to buy Tarragon at the nursery
> > today and was out of luck. They told me they don't sell it this time
> > of year and the person I talked to said hers doesn't like it in San
> > Francisco. She says her French Tarragon is 3 years old, grows just a
> > few inches during the growing season and then dies back. Do you find
> > that tarragon is deciduous? She says it dies back to the ground every
> > year.
> >

> Doesn't sound like the French variety!
> Mine grows about 3 feet tall every year and dies back in the severe winters
> here.

But it's otherwise hearty? Does it need heat in the summer? A "hot"
day here is typically in the mid-60's - 70s if we're lucky and we
start to melt at 80, which doesn't happen very often, TG. Mainly
daytime temperatures are in the high 40s - to low 60's (it's 38°F at
the moment, but it's expected to reach 55°F). It's not hot enough for
basil or tomatoes to thrive in my yard and too dry for mint. Do you
think French Tarragon would make it here?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 3 Jan 2013 07:37:39 -0700, "graham" > wrote:

>> > How cold does it get there? I tried to buy Tarragon at the nursery
>> > today and was out of luck. They told me they don't sell it this time
>> > of year and the person I talked to said hers doesn't like it in San
>> > Francisco. She says her French Tarragon is 3 years old, grows just a
>> > few inches during the growing season and then dies back. Do you find
>> > that tarragon is deciduous? She says it dies back to the ground every
>> > year.
>> >

>> Doesn't sound like the French variety!
>> Mine grows about 3 feet tall every year and dies back in the severe
>> winters
>> here.
>>

> But it's otherwise hearty? Does it need heat in the summer? A "hot"
> day here is typically in the mid-60's - 70s if we're lucky and we
> start to melt at 80, which doesn't happen very often, TG. Mainly
> daytime temperatures are in the high 40s - to low 60's (it's 38°F at
> the moment, but it's expected to reach 55°F). It's not hot enough for
> basil or tomatoes to thrive in my yard and too dry for mint. Do you
> think French Tarragon would make it here?
>
> --

I'm absolutely sure it would. Summer temps here are similar to a bit warmer
and it was -25C over xmas.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jan 2013 08:49:12 -0700, "graham" > wrote:

> I'm absolutely sure it would. Summer temps here are similar to a bit warmer
> and it was -25C over xmas.

Fantastic, thanks! I was really disappointed yesterday, but you made
me feel hopeful again. Apparently they don't stock it this time of
year, so I have to wait. I like planting in the winter because
everything thrives in all the rain.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jan 2013 16:38:32 +1100, "Farm1" >
wrote:

>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 1 Jan 2013 15:06:28 +1100, "Farm1" >
>> wrote:
>>>Yikes! I didn't mean for that advice to be taken literally for action at
>>>this time of the year. I'm done for by the garden heat by midday so
>>>imagine
>>>how a transplanted herb may react.
>>>
>>>If you are going to do it today however, check how the temps are going to
>>>go
>>>over the next few days. And try to give it some shade for a few days so
>>>it
>>>can settle in and water well too till it gets its roots established. I
>>>cut
>>>bits of Sacred Bamboo (nandina domestica) and use that as shade unbrellas
>>>protect transplants - works a treat and the only real reason why it's
>>>worth
>>>growing as far as I'm concerned.

>> Not to worry, I didn't get around to doing it

>LOL. Well that's a relief! I was worried about your poor gaggin tarragon
>gaspign for water in a blazing sun.
>>
>> The weather here isn't that brutally hot, if fact I was wearing a
>> beanie when out doing the rounds this morning.

>Send some this way please!
>>
>> Actually, it has hit 31°C today - the hottest we've had this summer -
>> but still quite cool inside the house and the shade houses, I reckon
>> the tarragon would handle it okay.

Peaked at 38C yesterday and very windy... not good conditions as far
as fire is concerned. We did a lot of burning off about 3 months ago
though so fairly safe here. A lot of the pasture is dry though and
would burn pretty quickly even though the grass is short.

I'm glad bought an air conditioner last spring, even if I only use it
once a year its worth it IMO.

Terrible what has happened further south near Hobart yesterday - 80
homes gone and one possible death.

>Probably. BTW, I found a Brown Snake in my plastic Geyde bin the other day.
>It was a shock for both of us as you can imagine :-))

A friend was pulling apart a bale of hay a few days ago and was
confronted by a tiger snake that chased him...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 23:22:51 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 13:32:20 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>> Actually, it has hit 31°C today - the hottest we've had this summer -
>> but still quite cool inside the house and the shade houses, I reckon
>> the tarragon would handle it okay.

>How cold does it get there?

In winter it usually doesn't get below -6°C (21.2°F), although I have
seen -9 to -11°C in the area.

>I tried to buy Tarragon at the nursery
>today and was out of luck. They told me they don't sell it this time
>of year and the person I talked to said hers doesn't like it in San
>Francisco. She says her French Tarragon is 3 years old, grows just a
>few inches during the growing season and then dies back. Do you find
>that tarragon is deciduous? She says it dies back to the ground every
>year.

Yes, mine dies back every winter but regrows late spring.
Not sure what the problem with your friend's Tarragon... the climate
should be okay in SF for Tarragon? Maybe there is something wrong with
the spot they are growing it...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 3 Jan 2013 16:38:32 +1100, "Farm1" >
> wrote:

> Peaked at 38C yesterday and very windy...

The conditions yesterday down your way sounded dire from what we were
hearing on the Cricket.

not good conditions as far
> as fire is concerned. We did a lot of burning off about 3 months ago
> though so fairly safe here. A lot of the pasture is dry though and
> would burn pretty quickly even though the grass is short.

We've had 2 fires around here today because of lightening strike and about 3
drops of rain. .

> I'm glad bought an air conditioner last spring, even if I only use it
> once a year its worth it IMO.
>
> Terrible what has happened further south near Hobart yesterday - 80
> homes gone and one possible death.

Yes. Appalling.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 31, 2012 12:52:24 AM UTC-6, sf wrote:

> Thanks, that looks good enough to give a try and I just happen to have
>
> some of that truffle butter on hand. Tarragon is another matter,
>
> fresh or dried. Not that I don't like tarragon, but I am not French
>
> and don't have enough uses for it to replace the stale bottle of dried
>
> tarragon that I finally threw out, but this recipe looks good enough
>
> that I'll buy tarragon.... not sure what form it will be in yet, but I
>
> can always freeze "fresh" tarragon.

It looks great to me too, except for the tarragon, and that's heavier on the wine than I'd prefer. Also, the idea of buying grape seed oil to use one tablespoon is absurd. It's a crappy oil that's prone to rancidity.
http://rense.com/general85/grapeseed.htm
If you have grapeseed oil, throw it out.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:

> If you have grapeseed oil, throw it out.

I looked at website recently that recommended grape seed oil for being
healthy. I even thought it was one that you recommended in the past.

Tell me again, Bryan....What is good oil to use.

I don't agree with you often but I pay attention to and respect your food
research.

Gary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> > If you have grapeseed oil, throw it out.

> I looked at website recently that recommended grape seed oil for being
> healthy. I even thought it was one that you recommended in the past.

OMG! Look what that site has -- the dirty little secret of the deadly
grapeseed oil:

"Grapeseed oil with 2 double-bonds... has a reactive unpaired Electron! "

aaaieeeee!! Run!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 5 Jan 2013 07:39:31 -0800 (PST), Bryan
> wrote:

> On Monday, December 31, 2012 12:52:24 AM UTC-6, sf wrote:
> >

> > Thanks, that looks good enough to give a try and I just happen to have
> >
> > some of that truffle butter on hand. Tarragon is another matter,
> >
> > fresh or dried. Not that I don't like tarragon, but I am not French
> >
> > and don't have enough uses for it to replace the stale bottle of dried
> >
> > tarragon that I finally threw out, but this recipe looks good enough
> >
> > that I'll buy tarragon.... not sure what form it will be in yet, but I
> >
> > can always freeze "fresh" tarragon.
> >

> It looks great to me too, except for the tarragon, and that's heavier on the wine than I'd prefer. Also, the idea of buying grape seed oil to use one tablespoon is absurd. It's a crappy oil that's prone to rancidity.
> http://rense.com/general85/grapeseed.htm
> If you have grapeseed oil, throw it out.

Type of oil is something I routinely ignore unless it's there
specifically for flavor and I can't think of a single recipe I've made
where it would make any difference other than salad dressing and even
that is iffy, AFAIC. I have a tiny bottle of grapeseed oil lying
around that I should taste for rancidity and throw out if it is. I
bought it (gawd knows how long ago) because someone here kept raving
about how great it was for high heat cooking. Apparently I don't cook
at high heat often enough to merit caring about a special oil for it
because I haven't used it any more than the time I cracked the bottle
open and didn't use more than a couple of tablespoons of it then.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> Coq au vin rouge is one of the world's most famous dishes and, as far as
> I am concerned, also one of the most overrated. It is incomparably
> better made with (and accompanied by) white wine. I posted an Alsatian
> version of coq au Riesling before; this one is made with chardonnay and
> is very nice indeed, too. Instead of a jointed whole chicken I used
> chicken legs and thighs; instead of butter flavoured with Oregon black
> truffles I used Italian-produced butter flavoured with summer truffles;
> instead of pearl onions I used small shallots, peeled but not blanched.
>
> Victor
>
> Pairings: Coq au Vin Blanc
> By FLORENCE FABRICANT
>
> Just as Oregon borrows from Burgundy in vineyards planted with pinot
> noirs and chardonnays, that region also inspires dinner. The iconic
> boeuf bourguignon would not be the best choice with chardonnay, but this
> version of coq au vin, replacing Chambertin with chardonnay, couldn't be
> better. I went light with it, omitting the bacon lardons. And I gave a
> nod to Oregon's truffle crop by finishing the sauce with a gloss of
> black truffle butter. It's a modest investment that elevates the dish.
> A generous slab of unsalted butter (especially if it's high-fat
> European-style) could also bolster the sauce, though with less foxy
> intrigue.
>
> Coq au Vin Blanc
> Time: 1 hour 20 minutes

Okay, I'm going to make this tonight. Now for what to serve with it.
I see noodles or "steamed" potatoes are traditional... I have both on
hand, so I'll decide later which one appeals. But I'm stuck on what
vegetable would go with it. Something green, like baby spinach
sauteed in olive oil and garlic? Or maybe a gratin? I have butternut
squash on hand for that.

I need some guidance. TIA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> [...]
>with the remaining chicken.
>
>2. Add the pearl onions to casserole and toss in fat until lightly
>browned. Remove to a dish. Reduce heat to low. Add the chopped onion,
>celery and garlic, cook until softened, and stir in the mushrooms. When
>they wilt, add the wine, bring to a simmer and season with salt, pepper
>and lemon juice. Return chicken to casserole with any accumulated
>juices, baste, cover and cook 30 minutes, basting a few more times.
>Remove the chicken to a platter.
>
>3. Increase heat to medium-high and cook the sauce and mushrooms about
>5 minutes, until sauce thickens slightly. Lower heat, add the pearl
>onions and butter. When butter melts, check seasonings, return chicken
>to casserole, baste and simmer a few minutes. Serve from casserole or
>transfer to a deep platter. Scatter the tarragon on top before serving.

I think I'll try this -- I just happen to have both black and white
truffle butter on hand. I just bought 25 pounds of chicken breasts
(bone in skin on) on sale for $.89. Although I always have mushrooms
on hand, I don't have oyster mushrooms so I will have to buy those.
Sounds good.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 05 Jan 2013 09:18:53 -0800, sf > wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 00:06:53 +0100, (Victor Sack)
> wrote:
>
> > Coq au vin rouge is one of the world's most famous dishes and, as far as
> > I am concerned, also one of the most overrated. It is incomparably
> > better made with (and accompanied by) white wine. I posted an Alsatian
> > version of coq au Riesling before; this one is made with chardonnay and
> > is very nice indeed, too. Instead of a jointed whole chicken I used
> > chicken legs and thighs; instead of butter flavoured with Oregon black
> > truffles I used Italian-produced butter flavoured with summer truffles;
> > instead of pearl onions I used small shallots, peeled but not blanched.
> >
> > Victor
> >
> > Pairings: Coq au Vin Blanc
> > By FLORENCE FABRICANT
> >
> > Just as Oregon borrows from Burgundy in vineyards planted with pinot
> > noirs and chardonnays, that region also inspires dinner. The iconic
> > boeuf bourguignon would not be the best choice with chardonnay, but this
> > version of coq au vin, replacing Chambertin with chardonnay, couldn't be
> > better. I went light with it, omitting the bacon lardons. And I gave a
> > nod to Oregon's truffle crop by finishing the sauce with a gloss of
> > black truffle butter. It's a modest investment that elevates the dish.
> > A generous slab of unsalted butter (especially if it's high-fat
> > European-style) could also bolster the sauce, though with less foxy
> > intrigue.
> >
> > Coq au Vin Blanc
> > Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
> >

> Okay, I'm going to make this tonight. Now for what to serve with it.
> I see noodles or "steamed" potatoes are traditional... I have both on
> hand, so I'll decide later which one appeals. But I'm stuck on what
> vegetable would go with it. Something green, like baby spinach
> sauteed in olive oil and garlic? Or maybe a gratin? I have butternut
> squash on hand for that.
>
> I need some guidance. TIA

PS: would someone please read through that recipe for me? I have to
be missing something. It looks like the onions and mushrooms are
cooked on the stovetop and then they go into the oven with the chicken
in step 2, but the recipe wants you to cook them even more after they
come out of the oven. That part doesn't make any sense to me. I can
understand thickening the sauce and making sure the onions are cooked,
but I can't understand cooking mushrooms to death.

Also, what's the point of limiting tarragon to a garnishment? Why not
cook it with the chicken and use a little more for fresh color at the
end if you want to see a bright green?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 05 Jan 2013 10:38:44 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> I think I'll try this -- I just happen to have both black and white
> truffle butter on hand. I just bought 25 pounds of chicken breasts
> (bone in skin on) on sale for $.89. Although I always have mushrooms
> on hand, I don't have oyster mushrooms so I will have to buy those.
> Sounds good.

Good! We can trouble shoot it together then.

I'm probably not going to go to any trouble buying oyster mushrooms
though, because I have so many different kinds in my refrigerator as
it is. This recipe seems like a good excuse to use at least part of
the "melange" of mushrooms I'd bought with the original intent of
making mushroom soup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 5 Jan 2013 22:54:43 +1100, "Farm1" >
wrote:

>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 3 Jan 2013 16:38:32 +1100, "Farm1" >
>> wrote:

>> Peaked at 38C yesterday and very windy...

>The conditions yesterday down your way sounded dire from what we were
>hearing on the Cricket.

Was blowing a gale... and hot and dry of course. When those Eucalypts
catch fire in such winds there's not much you can do.

>not good conditions as far
>> as fire is concerned. We did a lot of burning off about 3 months ago
>> though so fairly safe here. A lot of the pasture is dry though and
>> would burn pretty quickly even though the grass is short.

>We've had 2 fires around here today because of lightening strike and about 3
>drops of rain. .

That's about all we've had, a few drops of rain.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 05 Jan 2013 10:27:44 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 05 Jan 2013 10:38:44 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>
>> I think I'll try this -- I just happen to have both black and white
>> truffle butter on hand. I just bought 25 pounds of chicken breasts
>> (bone in skin on) on sale for $.89. Although I always have mushrooms
>> on hand, I don't have oyster mushrooms so I will have to buy those.
>> Sounds good.

>Good! We can trouble shoot it together then.
>
>I'm probably not going to go to any trouble buying oyster mushrooms
>though, because I have so many different kinds in my refrigerator as
>it is. This recipe seems like a good excuse to use at least part of
>the "melange" of mushrooms I'd bought with the original intent of
>making mushroom soup.

are you just winging the mushroom soup or did you have recipe in mind?
I've never made mushroom soup and am semi interested.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 05 Jan 2013 10:22:03 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 05 Jan 2013 09:18:53 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 00:06:53 +0100, (Victor Sack)
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Coq au vin rouge is one of the world's most famous dishes and, as far as
>> > I am concerned, also one of the most overrated. It is incomparably
>> > better made with (and accompanied by) white wine. I posted an Alsatian
>> > version of coq au Riesling before; this one is made with chardonnay and
>> > is very nice indeed, too. Instead of a jointed whole chicken I used
>> > chicken legs and thighs; instead of butter flavoured with Oregon black
>> > truffles I used Italian-produced butter flavoured with summer truffles;
>> > instead of pearl onions I used small shallots, peeled but not blanched.
>> >
>> > Victor
>> >
>> > Pairings: Coq au Vin Blanc
>> > By FLORENCE FABRICANT
>> >
>> > Just as Oregon borrows from Burgundy in vineyards planted with pinot
>> > noirs and chardonnays, that region also inspires dinner. The iconic
>> > boeuf bourguignon would not be the best choice with chardonnay, but this
>> > version of coq au vin, replacing Chambertin with chardonnay, couldn't be
>> > better. I went light with it, omitting the bacon lardons. And I gave a
>> > nod to Oregon's truffle crop by finishing the sauce with a gloss of
>> > black truffle butter. It's a modest investment that elevates the dish.
>> > A generous slab of unsalted butter (especially if it's high-fat
>> > European-style) could also bolster the sauce, though with less foxy
>> > intrigue.
>> >
>> > Coq au Vin Blanc
>> > Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
>> >

>> Okay, I'm going to make this tonight. Now for what to serve with it.
>> I see noodles or "steamed" potatoes are traditional... I have both on
>> hand, so I'll decide later which one appeals. But I'm stuck on what
>> vegetable would go with it. Something green, like baby spinach
>> sauteed in olive oil and garlic? Or maybe a gratin? I have butternut
>> squash on hand for that.
>>
>> I need some guidance. TIA

>PS: would someone please read through that recipe for me? I have to
>be missing something. It looks like the onions and mushrooms are
>cooked on the stovetop and then they go into the oven with the chicken
>in step 2, but the recipe wants you to cook them even more after they
>come out of the oven. That part doesn't make any sense to me. I can
>understand thickening the sauce and making sure the onions are cooked,
>but I can't understand cooking mushrooms to death.
>
>Also, what's the point of limiting tarragon to a garnishment? Why not
>cook it with the chicken and use a little more for fresh color at the
>end if you want to see a bright green?

The way I see it, you are browning first the chicken and then the
pearl onions for added flavor and appearance. Remove. Then add the
flavoring veggies -- chopped onion, celery and garlic -- they are
going to cook down during the chicken and mushroom cooking process.
After cooking, the chicken is removed while the sauce and mushrooms in
pan reduce a bit. Now the pearl onions are added back in to finish
cooking. Adding the pearl onions at this point means they will still
be whole in the finished dish and not falling apart -- they are part
of the presentation. Scattering the tarragon on top of the hot dish
means that the air surrounding the dish will be perfumed for the
diner. The recipe writer didn't want the actual flavor cooked into
the dish. (My take)
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 05 Jan 2013 12:43:48 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Sat, 05 Jan 2013 10:22:03 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 05 Jan 2013 09:18:53 -0800, sf > wrote:

> >> Okay, I'm going to make this tonight. Now for what to serve with it.
> >> I see noodles or "steamed" potatoes are traditional... I have both on
> >> hand, so I'll decide later which one appeals. But I'm stuck on what
> >> vegetable would go with it. Something green, like baby spinach
> >> sauteed in olive oil and garlic? Or maybe a gratin? I have butternut
> >> squash on hand for that.
> >>
> >> I need some guidance. TIA

> >PS: would someone please read through that recipe for me? I have to
> >be missing something. It looks like the onions and mushrooms are
> >cooked on the stovetop and then they go into the oven with the chicken
> >in step 2, but the recipe wants you to cook them even more after they
> >come out of the oven. That part doesn't make any sense to me. I can
> >understand thickening the sauce and making sure the onions are cooked,
> >but I can't understand cooking mushrooms to death.
> >
> >Also, what's the point of limiting tarragon to a garnishment? Why not
> >cook it with the chicken and use a little more for fresh color at the
> >end if you want to see a bright green?

> The way I see it, you are browning first the chicken and then the
> pearl onions for added flavor and appearance. Remove. Then add the
> flavoring veggies -- chopped onion, celery and garlic -- they are
> going to cook down during the chicken and mushroom cooking process.
> After cooking, the chicken is removed while the sauce and mushrooms in
> pan reduce a bit. Now the pearl onions are added back in to finish
> cooking. Adding the pearl onions at this point means they will still
> be whole in the finished dish and not falling apart -- they are part
> of the presentation. Scattering the tarragon on top of the hot dish
> means that the air surrounding the dish will be perfumed for the
> diner. The recipe writer didn't want the actual flavor cooked into
> the dish. (My take)
> Janet US

Thanks, Janet... so I'd just the mushrooms just turn to mush?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 05 Jan 2013 12:31:37 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Sat, 05 Jan 2013 10:27:44 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 05 Jan 2013 10:38:44 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I think I'll try this -- I just happen to have both black and white
> >> truffle butter on hand. I just bought 25 pounds of chicken breasts
> >> (bone in skin on) on sale for $.89. Although I always have mushrooms
> >> on hand, I don't have oyster mushrooms so I will have to buy those.
> >> Sounds good.

> >Good! We can trouble shoot it together then.
> >
> >I'm probably not going to go to any trouble buying oyster mushrooms
> >though, because I have so many different kinds in my refrigerator as
> >it is. This recipe seems like a good excuse to use at least part of
> >the "melange" of mushrooms I'd bought with the original intent of
> >making mushroom soup.

> are you just winging the mushroom soup or did you have recipe in mind?
> I've never made mushroom soup and am semi interested.

Just winging it. Maybe I'll write it down as I do it so I'll know
what I did if it turns out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 05 Jan 2013 13:54:50 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 05 Jan 2013 12:43:48 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>> >PS: would someone please read through that recipe for me? I have to
>> >be missing something. It looks like the onions and mushrooms are
>> >cooked on the stovetop and then they go into the oven with the chicken
>> >in step 2, but the recipe wants you to cook them even more after they
>> >come out of the oven. That part doesn't make any sense to me. I can
>> >understand thickening the sauce and making sure the onions are cooked,
>> >but I can't understand cooking mushrooms to death.
>> >
>> >Also, what's the point of limiting tarragon to a garnishment? Why not
>> >cook it with the chicken and use a little more for fresh color at the
>> >end if you want to see a bright green?

>> The way I see it, you are browning first the chicken and then the
>> pearl onions for added flavor and appearance. Remove. Then add the
>> flavoring veggies -- chopped onion, celery and garlic -- they are
>> going to cook down during the chicken and mushroom cooking process.
>> After cooking, the chicken is removed while the sauce and mushrooms in
>> pan reduce a bit. Now the pearl onions are added back in to finish
>> cooking. Adding the pearl onions at this point means they will still
>> be whole in the finished dish and not falling apart -- they are part
>> of the presentation. Scattering the tarragon on top of the hot dish
>> means that the air surrounding the dish will be perfumed for the
>> diner. The recipe writer didn't want the actual flavor cooked into
>> the dish. (My take)
>> Janet US

>Thanks, Janet... so I'd just the mushrooms just turn to mush?

I've never had mushrooms turn to mush. I don't think they will.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 05 Jan 2013 13:54:50 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 05 Jan 2013 12:43:48 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>>> The way I see it, you are browning first the chicken and then the
>>> pearl onions for added flavor and appearance. Remove. Then add the
>>> flavoring veggies -- chopped onion, celery and garlic -- they are
>>> going to cook down during the chicken and mushroom cooking process.
>>> After cooking, the chicken is removed while the sauce and mushrooms in
>>> pan reduce a bit. Now the pearl onions are added back in to finish
>>> cooking. Adding the pearl onions at this point means they will still
>>> be whole in the finished dish and not falling apart -- they are part
>>> of the presentation. Scattering the tarragon on top of the hot dish
>>> means that the air surrounding the dish will be perfumed for the
>>> diner. The recipe writer didn't want the actual flavor cooked into
>>> the dish. (My take)
>>> Janet US

>>Thanks, Janet... so I'd just the mushrooms just turn to mush?

> I've never had mushrooms turn to mush. I don't think they will.
> Janet US

When I am not too sure, I just go back to Bob Pastorio's Cream of "Anything"
soup. Never fails

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

NV Agrapart Champagne Blanc de Blanc "Terroirs" Bi!! Wine 0 21-08-2012 05:13 PM
Pierre Moncuit Brut, Blanc de Blanc HUgues De Coulmet Richard Neidich Wine 9 07-10-2008 02:07 PM
Chile Blanc Gunner Mexican Cooking 0 04-12-2006 07:21 AM
sauvignon blanc Dan Emerson Winemaking 2 21-12-2004 03:47 AM