Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default High Temp Turkey success

How to cook the turkey? We debate this every time and have tried
everything under the sun with various degrees of success. We ran across
an article about roasting a turkey at high temperatures so we tried that.

We had a 14 pound turkey. I split the bird down one side of the spine.
I wanted the liquid that accumulates inside the turkey cavity to be
able to drain into the pan during the roasting process. We use a turkey
rack in a roasting pan so the bird doesn't sit on the bottom.

Becca made an injectable marinade using a stick of butter, garlic powder
and onion powder... plus about 2 teaspoons of hot sauce. I injected it
in 2 points in each breast and 1 point in each thigh and another in each
drumstick. A little of the mixture was kept and rubbed over the skin of
the bird.

Preheated oven to 450 degrees, and placed a loose tent over the bird and
put it in the oven. Checked at the 90 minute mark, it looked fine and
we removed the tent. Another 30 minutes and the turkey was done.
Juices in the pan were used to make dressing and gravy, along with a
stock we made from the wing tips, neck, liver, gizzards and some onion,
celery and carrot.

This was the most moist, flavorful turkey we have ever made. I was a
bit skeptical about including the hot sauce in the marinade, but it
added a bit of spice to the turkey but no heat.

20 minute prep and just two hours in the oven.

Sometimes simple is good!

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 26, 11:12*am, George Leppla > wrote:
> How to cook the turkey? *We debate this every time and have tried
> everything under the sun with various degrees of success. *We ran across
> an article about roasting a turkey at high temperatures so we tried that.
>
> We had a 14 pound turkey. *I split the bird down one side of the spine.
> * I wanted the liquid that accumulates inside the turkey cavity to be
> able to drain into the pan during the roasting process. *We use a turkey
> rack in a roasting pan so the bird doesn't sit on the bottom.
>
> Becca made an injectable marinade using a stick of butter, garlic powder
> and onion powder... plus about 2 teaspoons of hot sauce. I injected it
> in 2 points in each breast and 1 point in each thigh and another in each
> drumstick. A little of the mixture was kept and rubbed over the skin of
> the bird.
>
> Preheated oven to 450 degrees, and placed a loose tent over the bird and
> put it in the oven. *Checked at the 90 minute mark, it looked fine and
> we removed the tent. *Another 30 minutes and the turkey was done.
> Juices in the pan were used to make dressing and gravy, along with a
> stock we made from the wing tips, neck, liver, gizzards and some onion,
> celery and carrot.
>
> This was the most moist, flavorful turkey we have ever made. *I was a
> bit skeptical about including the hot sauce in the marinade, but it
> added a bit of spice to the turkey but no heat.
>
> 20 minute prep and just two hours in the oven.
>
> Sometimes simple is good!
>
> George L

We blast the turkey for 1 hour at 500 then go to 350 till done. Never
fails.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/26/2012 1:16 PM, Chemo wrote:
> On Dec 26, 11:12 am, George Leppla > wrote:

>> This was the most moist, flavorful turkey we have ever made. I was a
>> bit skeptical about including the hot sauce in the marinade, but it
>> added a bit of spice to the turkey but no heat.
>>
>> 20 minute prep and just two hours in the oven.
>>
>> Sometimes simple is good!
>>
>> George L

> We blast the turkey for 1 hour at 500 then go to 350 till done. Never
> fails.

I'm thinking that the high heat seals the skin... keeping a lot of the
moisture in. The shorter cooking time may also mean less time for
evaporation.

In any case, it was really good.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 26, 11:20*am, George Leppla > wrote:
> On 12/26/2012 1:16 PM, Chemo wrote:
>
> > On Dec 26, 11:12 am, George Leppla > wrote:
> >> This was the most moist, flavorful turkey we have ever made. *I was a
> >> bit skeptical about including the hot sauce in the marinade, but it
> >> added a bit of spice to the turkey but no heat.

> >> 20 minute prep and just two hours in the oven.

> >> Sometimes simple is good!

> >> George L

> > We blast the turkey for 1 hour at 500 then go to 350 till done. Never
> > fails.

> I'm thinking that the high heat seals the skin... keeping a lot of the
> moisture in. *The shorter cooking time may also mean less time for
> evaporation.
>
> In any case, it was really good.
>
> George L

I agree. When we used to roast it at 350 for umpteen hours it was
never as good as the high heat blast.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 13:12:06 -0600, George Leppla
> wrote:

> How to cook the turkey? We debate this every time and have tried
> everything under the sun with various degrees of success. We ran across
> an article about roasting a turkey at high temperatures so we tried that.
>
> We had a 14 pound turkey. I split the bird down one side of the spine.
> I wanted the liquid that accumulates inside the turkey cavity to be
> able to drain into the pan during the roasting process. We use a turkey
> rack in a roasting pan so the bird doesn't sit on the bottom.
>
> Becca made an injectable marinade using a stick of butter, garlic powder
> and onion powder... plus about 2 teaspoons of hot sauce. I injected it
> in 2 points in each breast and 1 point in each thigh and another in each
> drumstick. A little of the mixture was kept and rubbed over the skin of
> the bird.
>
> Preheated oven to 450 degrees, and placed a loose tent over the bird and
> put it in the oven. Checked at the 90 minute mark, it looked fine and
> we removed the tent. Another 30 minutes and the turkey was done.
> Juices in the pan were used to make dressing and gravy, along with a
> stock we made from the wing tips, neck, liver, gizzards and some onion,
> celery and carrot.
>
> This was the most moist, flavorful turkey we have ever made. I was a
> bit skeptical about including the hot sauce in the marinade, but it
> added a bit of spice to the turkey but no heat.
>
> 20 minute prep and just two hours in the oven.
>
> Sometimes simple is good!

It certainly stands to reason! Spatchcocking a chicken works every
time for me, as does roasting it at 400-450°. I've never tried it
with a turkey, but I know that turkey turned out perfectly every time
I did it on the Weber (RIP) and that was a high heat - although I had
no clue how high it was. You've given me hope that I might even look
forward to oven roasting a turkey. It sounds like your rack was flat.
Did you use a standard roaster (high sides) or a half sheet cookie
sheet for that? I can't imagine a 14 lb spatchcocked turkey resting
inside my roaster... or did you not flatten it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/26/2012 1:24 PM, sf wrote:
>> This was the most moist, flavorful turkey we have ever made. I was a
>> >bit skeptical about including the hot sauce in the marinade, but it
>> >added a bit of spice to the turkey but no heat.
>> >
>> >20 minute prep and just two hours in the oven.
>> >
>> >Sometimes simple is good!
>> >

> It certainly stands to reason! Spatchcocking a chicken works every
> time for me, as does roasting it at 400-450°. I've never tried it
> with a turkey, but I know that turkey turned out perfectly every time
> I did it on the Weber (RIP) and that was a high heat - although I had
> no clue how high it was. You've given me hope that I might even look
> forward to oven roasting a turkey. It sounds like your rack was flat.
> Did you use a standard roaster (high sides) or a half sheet cookie
> sheet for that? I can't imagine a 14 lb spatchcocked turkey resting
> inside my roaster... or did you not flatten it?

I didn't fully spatchcock the turkey. I just made one cut along the
spine, leaving the backbone in place. I just wanted a way for the
juices to get out of the turkey and into the pan.

We have a "V" shaped turkey rack that looks like this:
http://www.fantes.com/images/8862racks.jpg
We put that inside a large rectangular roasting pan that has about 3"
sides. So the bird was not flattened, just set onto the rack. The V
shape holds it upright.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/26/2012 9:12 AM, George Leppla wrote:
> How to cook the turkey? We debate this every time and have tried
> everything under the sun with various degrees of success. We ran across
> an article about roasting a turkey at high temperatures so we tried that.
>
> We had a 14 pound turkey. I split the bird down one side of the spine.
> I wanted the liquid that accumulates inside the turkey cavity to be
> able to drain into the pan during the roasting process. We use a turkey
> rack in a roasting pan so the bird doesn't sit on the bottom.
>
> Becca made an injectable marinade using a stick of butter, garlic powder
> and onion powder... plus about 2 teaspoons of hot sauce. I injected it
> in 2 points in each breast and 1 point in each thigh and another in each
> drumstick. A little of the mixture was kept and rubbed over the skin of
> the bird.
>
> Preheated oven to 450 degrees, and placed a loose tent over the bird and
> put it in the oven. Checked at the 90 minute mark, it looked fine and
> we removed the tent. Another 30 minutes and the turkey was done. Juices
> in the pan were used to make dressing and gravy, along with a stock we
> made from the wing tips, neck, liver, gizzards and some onion, celery
> and carrot.
>
> This was the most moist, flavorful turkey we have ever made. I was a
> bit skeptical about including the hot sauce in the marinade, but it
> added a bit of spice to the turkey but no heat.
>
> 20 minute prep and just two hours in the oven.
>
> Sometimes simple is good!
>
> George L

It's amazing how many ways you can cook a turkey. My mom did it old
school - 325 for over 5 hours. I can cook a 20 lb turkey at 350 in less
than 2 hours. You can cook in about the same time in a hot oven. I have
no explanation for how this works.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 26, 12:24*pm, dsi1 > wrote:
> On 12/26/2012 9:12 AM, George Leppla wrote:
>

> > How to cook the turkey? *We debate this every time and have tried
> > everything under the sun with various degrees of success. *We ran across
> > an article about roasting a turkey at high temperatures so we tried that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/26/2012 10:28 AM, Chemo wrote:
> On Dec 26, 12:24 pm, dsi1 > wrote:
>> On 12/26/2012 9:12 AM, George Leppla wrote:
>>

>>> How to cook the turkey? We debate this every time and have tried
>>> everything under the sun with various degrees of success. We ran across
>>> an article about roasting a turkey at high temperatures so we tried that.

>>> We had a 14 pound turkey. I split the bird down one side of the spine.
>>> I wanted the liquid that accumulates inside the turkey cavity to be
>>> able to drain into the pan during the roasting process. We use a turkey
>>> rack in a roasting pan so the bird doesn't sit on the bottom.

>>> Becca made an injectable marinade using a stick of butter, garlic powder
>>> and onion powder... plus about 2 teaspoons of hot sauce. I injected it
>>> in 2 points in each breast and 1 point in each thigh and another in each
>>> drumstick. A little of the mixture was kept and rubbed over the skin of
>>> the bird.

>>> Preheated oven to 450 degrees, and placed a loose tent over the bird and
>>> put it in the oven. Checked at the 90 minute mark, it looked fine and
>>> we removed the tent. Another 30 minutes and the turkey was done. Juices
>>> in the pan were used to make dressing and gravy, along with a stock we
>>> made from the wing tips, neck, liver, gizzards and some onion, celery
>>> and carrot.

>>> This was the most moist, flavorful turkey we have ever made. I was a
>>> bit skeptical about including the hot sauce in the marinade, but it
>>> added a bit of spice to the turkey but no heat.

>>> 20 minute prep and just two hours in the oven.

>>> Sometimes simple is good!

>>> George L

>> It's amazing how many ways you can cook a turkey. My mom did it old
>> school - 325 for over 5 hours. I can cook a 20 lb turkey at 350 in less
>> than 2 hours. You can cook in about the same time in a hot oven. I have
>> no explanation for how this works.

> Have patience. It will be revealed to you at the rapture.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 13:46:41 -0600, George Leppla
> wrote:

> On 12/26/2012 1:24 PM, sf wrote:

> > I can't imagine a 14 lb spatchcocked turkey resting
> > inside my roaster... or did you not flatten it?

> I didn't fully spatchcock the turkey. I just made one cut along the
> spine, leaving the backbone in place. I just wanted a way for the
> juices to get out of the turkey and into the pan.
>
> We have a "V" shaped turkey rack that looks like this:
> http://www.fantes.com/images/8862racks.jpg
> We put that inside a large rectangular roasting pan that has about 3"
> sides. So the bird was not flattened, just set onto the rack. The V
> shape holds it upright.

Aha, okay. Did the bottom of the turkey get toasty brown too? I like
to spatchcock my birds so all the skin crisps up. A chicken browns
all the way around on a vertical roaster too, but I'd need a bigger
oven to be able to stand up a whole turkey in it.

As far as the spine is concerned, if I was cutting one side of it
anyway, I'd cut the entire spine out... all the better for making
turkey stock and even more gravy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/26/2012 3:21 PM, sf wrote:
> Aha, okay. Did the bottom of the turkey get toasty brown too? I like
> to spatchcock my birds so all the skin crisps up. A chicken browns
> all the way around on a vertical roaster too, but I'd need a bigger
> oven to be able to stand up a whole turkey in it.

The skin on the bottom turned brown but wasn't crispy like the skin on
the breast and thighs. We also have a vertical roasting rack for a
turkey and we can get a good sized bird in the oven using it... but that
is all that would fit. I'm thinking that the vertical rack might do
well if I ever decided to do a whole turkey in the smoker.

> As far as the spine is concerned, if I was cutting one side of it
> anyway, I'd cut the entire spine out... all the better for making
> turkey stock and even more gravy.

After we ate, I took all the meat off the bones and put it in a
Tupperware container. We'll use that over the next few days. I put all
the bones and scraps, etc in another container and and that will go into
the next stock pot. So it all ends up in the same place in the end.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 13:46:41 -0600, George Leppla
> > wrote:
>
>> On 12/26/2012 1:24 PM, sf wrote:

>> > I can't imagine a 14 lb spatchcocked turkey resting
>> > inside my roaster... or did you not flatten it?

>> I didn't fully spatchcock the turkey. I just made one cut along the
>> spine, leaving the backbone in place. I just wanted a way for the
>> juices to get out of the turkey and into the pan.
>>
>> We have a "V" shaped turkey rack that looks like this:
>> http://www.fantes.com/images/8862racks.jpg
>> We put that inside a large rectangular roasting pan that has about 3"
>> sides. So the bird was not flattened, just set onto the rack. The V
>> shape holds it upright.
>>

> Aha, okay. Did the bottom of the turkey get toasty brown too? I like
> to spatchcock my birds so all the skin crisps up. A chicken browns
> all the way around on a vertical roaster too, but I'd need a bigger
> oven to be able to stand up a whole turkey in it.
>
> As far as the spine is concerned, if I was cutting one side of it
> anyway, I'd cut the entire spine out... all the better for making
> turkey stock and even more gravy.

I cut out the spines of all birds I cook.
--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 26, 1:52*pm, "Ophelia" > wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message

> > On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 13:46:41 -0600, George Leppla
> > > wrote:

> >> I didn't fully spatchcock the turkey. *I just made one cut along the
> >> spine, leaving the backbone in place. *I just wanted a way for the
> >> juices to get out of the turkey and into the pan.

> >> We have a "V" shaped turkey rack that looks like this:
> >>http://www.fantes.com/images/8862racks.jpg
> >> We put that inside a large rectangular roasting pan that has about 3"
> >> sides. *So the bird was not flattened, just set onto the rack. The V
> >> shape holds it upright.

> > Aha, okay. *Did the bottom of the turkey get toasty brown too? *I like
> > to spatchcock my birds so all the skin crisps up. *A chicken browns
> > all the way around on a vertical roaster too, but I'd need a bigger
> > oven to be able to stand up a whole turkey in it. *

> > As far as the spine is concerned, if I was cutting one side of it
> > anyway, I'd cut the entire spine out... all the better for making
> > turkey stock and even more gravy.

> I cut out the spines of all birds I cook.
> --http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

You spineless bird cooker, you!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 15:46:47 -0600, George Leppla
> wrote:

> After we ate, I took all the meat off the bones and put it in a
> Tupperware container. We'll use that over the next few days. I put all
> the bones and scraps, etc in another container and and that will go into
> the next stock pot. So it all ends up in the same place in the end.

I'm looking for "leftovers" ideas for roast beef and ham. Got any for
them?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26/12/2012 2:12 PM, George Leppla wrote:
> How to cook the turkey? We debate this every time and have tried
> everything under the sun with various degrees of success. We ran across
> an article about roasting a turkey at high temperatures so we tried that.
>
> We had a 14 pound turkey. I split the bird down one side of the spine.
> I wanted the liquid that accumulates inside the turkey cavity to be
> able to drain into the pan during the roasting process. We use a turkey
> rack in a roasting pan so the bird doesn't sit on the bottom.
>
> Becca made an injectable marinade using a stick of butter, garlic powder
> and onion powder... plus about 2 teaspoons of hot sauce. I injected it
> in 2 points in each breast and 1 point in each thigh and another in each
> drumstick. A little of the mixture was kept and rubbed over the skin of
> the bird.
>
> Preheated oven to 450 degrees, and placed a loose tent over the bird and
> put it in the oven. Checked at the 90 minute mark, it looked fine and
> we removed the tent. Another 30 minutes and the turkey was done. Juices
> in the pan were used to make dressing and gravy, along with a stock we
> made from the wing tips, neck, liver, gizzards and some onion, celery
> and carrot.
>
> This was the most moist, flavorful turkey we have ever made. I was a
> bit skeptical about including the hot sauce in the marinade, but it
> added a bit of spice to the turkey but no heat.
>
> 20 minute prep and just two hours in the oven.
>
> Sometimes simple is good!

Colour me surprised. I like to cook small chickens at 450 but I had not
expected that it would work with a large bird, even if split in two. It
is still 7lb per side, and I only do it with 2-3lb birds. They are
great. My method for high temp chicken cooking calls for a rack and
some water in the pan to prevent burning oils. Most of it evaporates in
the heat and sometimes I have to add more, but it gets cooked down in
the gravy/sauce cooking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

http://community-2.webtv.net/angie-web/TURKEY/

I like those racks-mine is U-shaped. I have a tiny oven so when I first
pushed the bird in, the breast hit the top of the oven lol. Then I
switched to the bottom rung in the oven.

That's why the very bottom of the bird didnt get completely cooked and I
put the backside back in the oven after removing the breast side.

I was worried about overcooking the breast-turns out I didnt need the
strip of tinfoil on top. I had loosened the skin and shoved pats of
butter and slices of lemons up under the skin before baking. (350 degree
2.5 hours) I sprinkled Mccormicks Rotisserie Chicken seasoning on top
for help with color but it didn't need that either. It was a fantastic
skin, and moist meat.