FoodBanter.com

-   -   Christmas Breakfast? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/421919-re-christmas-breakfast.html)

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 25-12-2012 06:07 PM

Christmas Breakfast?

Christine wrote:

> Christmas breakfast. Do you fix a special Christmas breakfast? What
> is it and what will it be this year, if you do one?

If Lin is here, I like to make some special brunch, but it's never the
same from year to year. This year Lin is visiting her family in
Oklahoma, so I didn't have anything special planned. In fact, I had
planned to sleep most of the day (since I was working through Christmas
Eve) but found myself unable to fall asleep, so I got up and fixed
breakfast.

A couple weeks ago I picked what I thought were all the green tomatoes
from our still-robust plants. Then we had some very cold nights which
killed the plants. While I was outside feeding the dog this morning, I
was able to see through the withered and desiccated foliage to some big
plump green tomatoes which had previously been hidden, so I pulled them
off and brought them inside.

Breakfast was fried green tomatoes with a thin chorizo-carrot mayo[1],
sunny-side up eggs, multi-grain toast, an amagaki persimmon[2], and
coffee with eggnog.

Bob
[1] Homemade mayo using chorizo grease as part of the fat, and thinned
with fresh carrot juice.
[2] Amagaki persimmons are a specialty fruit of this region, and
possibly the best persimmons for eating out of hand.
http://produceexpress.net/products/p...n-amagaki.html