Old 24-12-2012, 02:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Christmas Breakfast?

Christine Dabney wrote:
Heya all,

Christmas breakfast. Do you fix a special Christmas breakfast? What
is it and what will it be this year, if you do one?

I am not usually a breakfast person, unless someone is cooking it for
me. However, for some reason, Christmas breakfast feels a bit more
special than just the run of the mill breakfasts.

When I was growing up in Virginia, we usually had a full on breakfast,
after the presents were opened. And when my grandparents were alive,
it was a full on Southern style breakfast.

To start, grapefruit broiled with brown sugar on top: it was always
the starter. We never had it any other time of the year, that I can
remember. Then, usually the standard biscuits unless we had country
ham available, then it became Ham Biscuits. The biscuits then were
what are termed at Angel Biscuits, which are leavened with both baking
powder and yeast: a perfect partner to country ham slices, which were
tucked into the biscuits. It was always one of my favorite
breakfasts.

And in later years, my mother would occasionally make something she
(and my grandmother) called Jewish Coffee Cake..it too was yeasted,
and had raisins in it, and was soaked with a syrup. I don't think I
have had it since my mother made it years ago, although I do have the
recipe.

And when I was on my own, I would sometimes make Eggs Benedict for the
family when we were together on Christmas morning.

This year, I am not sure what breakfast will be. I am considering
several things, among which is a recipe from the Smitten Kitchen
Cookbook: a Gingerbread spiced Dutch Baby. If I had some ham, I
would make Ham Biscuits. I am also considering trying to make the
Jewish Coffee Cake again..after all these years.

Breakfast was usually the only meal of the day other than the
Christmas dinner, on Christmas Day. A large dinner with family and
friends was in the afternoon, and after that we all went visiting to
see other relatives, close family friends and the like, where we were
treated to Christmas cookies, cakes, wine jelly, punch, and other
goodies. We were usually too full from both breakfast, dinner and
the snacking at other houses, to eat much of anything else later on.
We always ended with a visit to the grandparents, then came home to
host our own visiters, whereupon my mother served fruitcake and
coffee.

Christine

Oddly enough, I don't recall any Christmas breakfasts from my
youth. (Perhaps there's a lesson to be learned from that?) I
also don't recall what I made for many years. The last few years,
I ate pannetone, but now that I am eating LC, that is out. (To be
perfectly honest, last night I started wishing I had gotten the
tiny one I saw at WF--although perhaps it contained ingredients
that I don't like, in addition to its being carby.) This morning,
I started looking through my files for some alternative that was
better, carbwise. Then I got deterred and ended up sorting a lot
of the previously unsorted recipes, so no progress was made, for
better or for worse.

Sooooo, who knows. Perhaps there will be an update.

Old 24-12-2012, 03:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/23/2012 9:20 PM, Jean B. wrote:
Christine Dabney wrote:
[...]

When our girls were younger, after the gifts had been opened, I would
take the bananas that Santa always lift in their stockings and add them
to pineapple chunks and orange sections for a fruit cup. I would make
scrambled eggs with bacon and we usually had a sour cream coffee cake.
Nice memories.

Rusty in MD

Old 15-01-2013, 02:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
[...]

That sounds like a lovely tradition.

(Oh yeah. I was going to STRIVE not to answer the really old posts.)