Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Meat Loaf

On 2/7/2019 4:43 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 2/7/2019 1:55 PM, wrote:
>> I don't use a recipe, it's pretty basic but hubby likes it:
>>
>> 1 1/2 lb Hamburg
>> 1 onion, chopped and browned
>> 1/2 bread crumbs
>> Â* 1 egg
>> 1/2 cup ketchup
>> Cracked black pepper and salt
>>

>> Mix together all ingredients, form into loaf, smother in more
>> ketchup.Â* Cook on rack in baking dish, I don't like meatloaf baked in
>> its own grease.Â* Cook 45 min to an hour at 350°.
>>

> I do the same except I also add some sour cream.Â* At times I've added
> different herbs too, but you can overpower if not careful.

I prefer it cooked on a broiler pan. That is, one with a rack and a
place for any fat to drip off. I line the broiler pan with foil for
easy disposing of the drippings.

I don't add ketchup, much less "smother in more ketchup".

I stir a little bottled cocktail sauce to the meat mixture. About a
quarter cup or so. Yes, I saute some finely minced vegetables (onion, a
little garlic and sometimes green bell pepper) and add it. Also a large
egg, beaten. I use oats for the dry binder rather than breadcrumbs or
crushed saltines. I've used every type, just prefer oatmeal.

It's all good. We all have our preferred recipes for things like
meatloaf. Some people like cold meatloaf sandwiches. I've never fallen
into that category. I definitely don't mind gently reheated meatloaf
for dinner the next day. When I make meatloaf I generally make mashed
potatoes to go with it. Those reheat well, too.

Jill
Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I don't add ketchup, much less "smother in more ketchup".

We do differ on that one, Jill. I do smother a raw meat loaf in
ketchup before baking. I really do love the browned and
carmelized "new" taste. Not like plain ketchup at all. I would
never add plain ketchup to it after it cooked.
Even a combo of ketchup with worchestershire sauce mixed in is
very good especially once it bakes for an hour or so. That combo
is also good for fries if anyone likes fries with ketchup.
Myself, I love my fries heavily salted and heavily black
peppered. I rarely dip in anything.

> I use oats for the dry binder rather than breadcrumbs or
> crushed saltines. I've used every type, just prefer oatmeal.

I've tried all 3. Rolled oats are good...maybe best to me.

> It's all good. We all have our preferred recipes for things like
> meatloaf. Some people like cold meatloaf sandwiches. I've never fallen
> into that category. I definitely don't mind gently reheated meatloaf
> for dinner the next day. When I make meatloaf I generally make mashed
> potatoes to go with it. Those reheat well, too.

Same here, Jill. I make meatloaf dinner and I like it with mashed
potatoes and some vegetable...often just green beans.

For leftovers, I DO NOT like sliced cold on a sandwich at all.
All of my meatloaf leftovers are always warmed back up (microwave
in short steps). If I still have leftover mashed potatoes and
green beans, they go on the plate too. Even just a small
meatloaf only snack, reheated is good to me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-21 10:08 a.m., Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> I don't add ketchup, much less "smother in more ketchup".

> We do differ on that one, Jill. I do smother a raw meat loaf in
> ketchup before baking. I really do love the browned and
> carmelized "new" taste. Not like plain ketchup at all. I would
> never add plain ketchup to it after it cooked.

Neither my wife or I are in the habit of using ketchup as a condiment,
but I do smear it on meatloaf. I start off with some on the bottom, slap
the loaf on top and then smear with with ketchup. Sometimes I mix some
spicy BBQ sauce in with the ketchup.

> Even a combo of ketchup with worchestershire sauce mixed in is
> very good especially once it bakes for an hour or so. That combo
> is also good for fries if anyone likes fries with ketchup.
> Myself, I love my fries heavily salted and heavily black
> peppered. I rarely dip in anything.
>>
>> I use oats for the dry binder rather than breadcrumbs or
>> crushed saltines. I've used every type, just prefer oatmeal.

> I've tried all 3. Rolled oats are good...maybe best to me.
>
>> It's all good. We all have our preferred recipes for things like
>> meatloaf. Some people like cold meatloaf sandwiches. I've never fallen
>> into that category. I definitely don't mind gently reheated meatloaf
>> for dinner the next day. When I make meatloaf I generally make mashed
>> potatoes to go with it. Those reheat well, too.

> Same here, Jill. I make meatloaf dinner and I like it with mashed
> potatoes and some vegetable...often just green beans.
>
> For leftovers, I DO NOT like sliced cold on a sandwich at all.
> All of my meatloaf leftovers are always warmed back up (microwave
> in short steps). If I still have leftover mashed potatoes and
> green beans, they go on the plate too. Even just a small
> meatloaf only snack, reheated is good to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-02-21 10:08 a.m., Gary wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't add ketchup, much less "smother in more ketchup".

>> We do differ on that one, Jill. I do smother a raw meat loaf in
>> ketchup before baking. I really do love the browned and
>> carmelized "new" taste. Not like plain ketchup at all. I would
>> never add plain ketchup to it after it cooked.

> Neither my wife or I are in the habit of using ketchup as a condiment,
> but I do smear it on meatloaf. I start off with some on the bottom, slap
> the loaf on top and then smear with with ketchup. Sometimes I mix some
> spicy BBQ sauce in with the ketchup.

Damn! I wish my wife was as compliant as yours. Last time slapped her
loaf on top, she exploded.

DON'T LET YER MEAT LOAF Colonel Edmund J. Burke[_13_] General Cooking 0 08-07-2016 02:53 PM
Meat loaf Ophelia[_11_] General Cooking 232 18-01-2015 08:54 PM
Meat Loaf Judy Haffner General Cooking 0 30-12-2012 07:55 PM
Tex-Mex Meat Loaf Duckie ® Recipes 0 29-07-2005 04:20 AM
meat loaf Howard and duncy General Cooking 4 19-06-2004 02:58 AM