Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Holiday dinner plans?

On 12/20/2012 9:53 PM, Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 21:49:37 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>

>> Okay, so your daughter won't eat tamales and your mom nixed the idea of
>> tamales or chili on Christmas, but you're taking them out for Mexican
>> food on Christmas Eve? This is why your posts don't make any sense.
>>
>> It's fine with me if you want to eat tamales, rice & beans and chili for
>> Christmas dinner. Forget about "food intolerances" for a moment. What
>> I can't imagine is letting a child dictate what you cook. My parents
>> didn't make me sit at the table until I ate the last bite of (e.g.)
>> liver, but I couldn't just say "ewwwww", either. Who is in charge here,
>> you or your child?
>>
>> Jill

> Damn. I was hopeful that this would stay on topic and not devolve into
> an attack on someone. It didn't even last a quarter day before
> devolving into attacks. This is why I spend more time on FB now.
>
> Christine

I apologize, Chris. But honestly it doesn't make sense to me.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/20/2012 10:27 PM, Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 22:21:07 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>

>> I apologize, Chris. But honestly it doesn't make sense to me.
>>
>> Jill

> I understand Jill. A lot of things don't make sense, I agree. But I
> don't think we have to attack someone every time something doesn't
> make sense or we don't agree. Just because we CAN say something,
> doesn't always mean we SHOULD.
>
> OB food:
> I made a Cuban sandwich from the roast pork I roasted a night or so
> ago. I had all the ingredients, except for Swiss cheese. Well..I
> had the Swiss cheese, but it was in the fridge out in the garage, and
> I honestly didn't feel like going out there with the temps down in
> the 30s. So I substituted some provolone I had in the house fridge
> for the Swiss. Let me tell ya, it wasn't a good idea. I like
> provolone, but not on a Cubano. It seems to need the Swiss to make it
> taste like a Cubano.
>
> Now, shall we return to talking about food?
>
> Christine

Yes. Your chicken and dumplings sound good. Way more complicated than
the way I make it (I cook very simply) but variations on a theme are
always interesting.

These days I like to make dumplings that dish which call for some corn meal.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> I understand Jill. A lot of things don't make sense, I agree. But I
> don't think we have to attack someone every time something doesn't
> make sense or we don't agree. Just because we CAN say something,
> doesn't always mean we SHOULD.

how is it attacking someone when you offer suggestions? how is it attacking
someone when you are trying to understand what they want?

OB food: for julie it makes more sense to go to a restaurant that she doesn't
like because she has a coupon for it. LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 12/20/2012 10:27 PM, Christine Dabney wrote:
>> On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 22:21:07 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I apologize, Chris. But honestly it doesn't make sense to me.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I understand Jill. A lot of things don't make sense, I agree. But I
>> don't think we have to attack someone every time something doesn't
>> make sense or we don't agree. Just because we CAN say something,
>> doesn't always mean we SHOULD.
>>
>> OB food:
>> I made a Cuban sandwich from the roast pork I roasted a night or so
>> ago. I had all the ingredients, except for Swiss cheese. Well..I
>> had the Swiss cheese, but it was in the fridge out in the garage, and
>> I honestly didn't feel like going out there with the temps down in
>> the 30s. So I substituted some provolone I had in the house fridge
>> for the Swiss. Let me tell ya, it wasn't a good idea. I like
>> provolone, but not on a Cubano. It seems to need the Swiss to make it
>> taste like a Cubano.
>>
>> Now, shall we return to talking about food?
>>
>> Christine
>>

> Yes. Your chicken and dumplings sound good. Way more complicated than
> the way I make it (I cook very simply) but variations on a theme are
> always interesting.

Post your recipe?

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 09:34:23 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Yes. Your chicken and dumplings sound good. Way more complicated than
>>> the way I make it (I cook very simply) but variations on a theme are
>>> always interesting.

>>Post your recipe?
>>

> I already did, at the beginning of this thread.

Indeed and I saved it I was asking Jill for hers
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/21/2012 8:20 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 09:34:23 -0000, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:

>>> Post your recipe?
>>>

>> I already did, at the beginning of this thread.

> Indeed and I saved it I was asking Jill for hers

Oh, mine isn't much of a "recipe". In a large pot I bring to a boil
some chicken leg quarters (thighs & drumsticks) with salt, pepper, some
minced onion and a couple of bay leaves. Also add some dried sage,
parsley, marjoram and thyme. Reduce the heat and simmer until the
chicken is tender. I let it simmer about an hour to render the fat.
Remove the chicken to a platter and let it cool. Discard the chicken
skin and fish out the bay leaves. Debone the chicken and tear it into
bite sized pieces. Add it back to the broth and bring back to bubbling.

The dumplings are simply flour drop dumplings but I've substituted a
little cornmeal (not a lot) in place of some of the flour. Drop them
into the bubbling broth and cook, 20 minutes uncovered and 20 minutes
covered.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 12/21/2012 8:20 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
>>> On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 09:34:23 -0000, "Ophelia"

>>> I already did, at the beginning of this thread.

>> Indeed and I saved it I was asking Jill for hers

> Oh, mine isn't much of a "recipe". In a large pot I bring to a boil some
> chicken leg quarters (thighs & drumsticks) with salt, pepper, some minced
> onion and a couple of bay leaves. Also add some dried sage, parsley,
> marjoram and thyme. Reduce the heat and simmer until the chicken is
> tender. I let it simmer about an hour to render the fat. Remove the
> chicken to a platter and let it cool. Discard the chicken skin and fish
> out the bay leaves. Debone the chicken and tear it into bite sized
> pieces. Add it back to the broth and bring back to bubbling.
>
> The dumplings are simply flour drop dumplings but I've substituted a
> little cornmeal (not a lot) in place of some of the flour. Drop them into
> the bubbling broth and cook, 20 minutes uncovered and 20 minutes covered.

Thanks I don't know what your 'flour drop dumplings' are though.
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default ping Chris D (was Holiday dinner plans?)

You were saying?

"Janet" > wrote in message
> In article >, artisan2
> @ix.netcom.com says...
>>
>> On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 09:34:23 -0000, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:

>> >Post your recipe?
>> >

>> I already did, at the beginning of this thread.

> LOL.
>
> Who was wondering about the mindless sycophants..
>
> Janet

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/21/2012 10:13 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> Indeed and I saved it I was asking Jill for hers

>> Oh, mine isn't much of a "recipe". In a large pot I bring to a boil
>> some chicken leg quarters (thighs & drumsticks) with salt, pepper,
>> some minced onion and a couple of bay leaves. Also add some dried
>> sage, parsley, marjoram and thyme. Reduce the heat and simmer until
>> the chicken is tender. I let it simmer about an hour to render the
>> fat. Remove the chicken to a platter and let it cool. Discard the
>> chicken skin and fish out the bay leaves. Debone the chicken and tear
>> it into bite sized pieces. Add it back to the broth and bring back to
>> bubbling.
>>
>> The dumplings are simply flour drop dumplings but I've substituted a
>> little cornmeal (not a lot) in place of some of the flour. Drop them
>> into the bubbling broth and cook, 20 minutes uncovered and 20 minutes
>> covered.

> Thanks I don't know what your 'flour drop dumplings' are though.

Didn't you recently mention in the Soup for Dumplings thread you make
yours with suet? It's the same thing except, of course, I can't find
suet so I use shortening or butter, milk, baking powder, salt and about
1/4 c. cornmeal rather than all flour. Drop by teaspoonfuls into
bubbling hot broth.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 12/21/2012 10:13 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Oh, mine isn't much of a "recipe". In a large pot I bring to a boil
>>> some chicken leg quarters (thighs & drumsticks) with salt, pepper,
>>> some minced onion and a couple of bay leaves. Also add some dried
>>> sage, parsley, marjoram and thyme. Reduce the heat and simmer until
>>> the chicken is tender. I let it simmer about an hour to render the
>>> fat. Remove the chicken to a platter and let it cool. Discard the
>>> chicken skin and fish out the bay leaves. Debone the chicken and tear
>>> it into bite sized pieces. Add it back to the broth and bring back to
>>> bubbling.
>>>
>>> The dumplings are simply flour drop dumplings but I've substituted a
>>> little cornmeal (not a lot) in place of some of the flour. Drop them
>>> into the bubbling broth and cook, 20 minutes uncovered and 20 minutes
>>> covered.

>> Thanks I don't know what your 'flour drop dumplings' are though.

> Didn't you recently mention in the Soup for Dumplings thread you make
> yours with suet? It's the same thing except, of course, I can't find suet
> so I use shortening or butter, milk, baking powder, salt and about 1/4 c.
> cornmeal rather than all flour. Drop by teaspoonfuls into bubbling hot
> broth.

I did indeed Thanks
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 05:30:01 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 09:34:23 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>

>>"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Yes. Your chicken and dumplings sound good. Way more complicated than
>>> the way I make it (I cook very simply) but variations on a theme are
>>> always interesting.

>>Post your recipe?
>>

>I already did, at the beginning of this thread.

Well, that was helpful. Chris, you've taken Jill to task in this
thread for not playing nice, then you post the above. Sometimes posts
get deleted before you realize there was something in there that might
be useful or you, perhaps, didn't see the beginning of the thread.
Let's err on the side of helpfulness, assume that one of those were
the case, and simply re-post? "I already did, at the beginning of this
thread" sounds snarky, IMHO.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote in
:

> On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 05:30:01 -0700, Christine Dabney
> > wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 09:34:23 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>>>Post your recipe?
>>>

>>I already did, at the beginning of this thread.

> Well, that was helpful. Chris, you've taken Jill to task in this
> thread for not playing nice, then you post the above. Sometimes posts
> get deleted before you realize there was something in there that might
> be useful or you, perhaps, didn't see the beginning of the thread.
> Let's err on the side of helpfulness, assume that one of those were
> the case, and simply re-post? "I already did, at the beginning of this
> thread" sounds snarky, IMHO.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

And then the fight started!!!

--
Peter
Brisbane

To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one.
It is rather and endless struggle
that will go on to the very last moment of our lives.
Nobody is born a warrior,in exactly the same way that
nobody is born an average man.
We have to make ourselves into one or the other.
A warrior must only take care that his spirit is not broken.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, December 21, 2012 2:05:23 PM UTC-7, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> >I already did, at the beginning of this thread.

> Well, that was helpful. Chris, you've taken Jill to task in this
>
> thread for not playing nice, then you post the above. Sometimes posts
>
> get deleted before you realize there was something in there that might
>
> be useful or you, perhaps, didn't see the beginning of the thread.
>
> Let's err on the side of helpfulness, assume that one of those were
>
> the case, and simply re-post? "I already did, at the beginning of this
>
> thread" sounds snarky, IMHO.

My apologies. No snarkiness was intended. I thought it was just a statement of fact. I am sorry that it was taken as being snarky, but it was not intended as such.
Ophelia understood..and she corrected me in that she was asking about Jill's recipe. I misunderstood and thought she was asking about mine (which is really the one that Bob Terwilliger posted).

OB Food: I am thinking of trying to find some tarragon for this..I think it would be a good herb for this, as is suggested in the recipe.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine" > wrote in message
> On Friday, December 21, 2012 2:05:23 PM UTC-7, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
>

>> >I already did, at the beginning of this thread.

>> Well, that was helpful. Chris, you've taken Jill to task in this
>>
>> thread for not playing nice, then you post the above. Sometimes posts
>>
>> get deleted before you realize there was something in there that might
>>
>> be useful or you, perhaps, didn't see the beginning of the thread.
>>
>> Let's err on the side of helpfulness, assume that one of those were
>>
>> the case, and simply re-post? "I already did, at the beginning of this
>>
>> thread" sounds snarky, IMHO.

> My apologies. No snarkiness was intended. I thought it was just a
> statement of fact. I am sorry that it was taken as being snarky, but it
> was not intended as such.
> Ophelia understood..and she corrected me in that she was asking about
> Jill's recipe. I misunderstood and thought she was asking about mine
> (which is really the one that Bob Terwilliger posted).

You are quite right, Christine and I took no offence.

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 05:30:01 -0700, Christine Dabney
>> > wrote:

>>>I already did, at the beginning of this thread.

>> Well, that was helpful. Chris, you've taken Jill to task in this
>> thread for not playing nice, then you post the above. Sometimes posts
>> get deleted before you realize there was something in there that might
>> be useful or you, perhaps, didn't see the beginning of the thread.
>> Let's err on the side of helpfulness, assume that one of those were
>> the case, and simply re-post? "I already did, at the beginning of this
>> thread" sounds snarky, IMHO.
>>
>> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
>>

>And then the fight started!!!

Don't be silly - I was merely making a comment on something Christine
might not have considered. Christine is actually a friend and I was
merely making an observation.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote in
:

> On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 21:13:29 +0000 (UTC), "I'm back" >
> wrote:
>
>>Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote in
m:

>>> On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 05:30:01 -0700, Christine Dabney

complicated

>>> Well, that was helpful. Chris, you've taken Jill to task in this
>>> thread for not playing nice, then you post the above. Sometimes

posts
>>> get deleted before you realize there was something in there that

might
>>> be useful or you, perhaps, didn't see the beginning of the thread.
>>> Let's err on the side of helpfulness, assume that one of those were
>>> the case, and simply re-post? "I already did, at the beginning of

this
>>> thread" sounds snarky, IMHO.
>>>
>>> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
>>>

>>And then the fight started!!!

> Don't be silly - I was merely making a comment on something Christine
> might not have considered. Christine is actually a friend and I was
> merely making an observation.

LOL!! I know that, however, your comments could be taken either way,
dependant on what mood Christine (or anyone else) was in at the time.
It's also a take on a standard joke in Oz.....something along the lines
of..........

I was driving to work the other day and rear eneded the car in front of
me when it stopped suddenly. A dwarf got out and stormed over to me and
said "I'm not happy!".
And I said "Which one are you then?"

And then the fight started......... ;-)

--
Peter
Brisbane
Australia

To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one.
It is rather and endless struggle
that will go on to the very last moment of our lives.
Nobody is born a warrior,in exactly the same way that
nobody is born an average man.
We have to make ourselves into one or the other.
A warrior must only take care that his spirit is not broken.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 21:13:29 +0000 (UTC), "I'm back" >
> wrote:
>
>>Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote in
m:

>>> On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 05:30:01 -0700, Christine Dabney

>>> Well, that was helpful. Chris, you've taken Jill to task in this
>>> thread for not playing nice, then you post the above. Sometimes posts
>>> get deleted before you realize there was something in there that might
>>> be useful or you, perhaps, didn't see the beginning of the thread.
>>> Let's err on the side of helpfulness, assume that one of those were
>>> the case, and simply re-post? "I already did, at the beginning of this
>>> thread" sounds snarky, IMHO.
>>>
>>> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
>>>

>>And then the fight started!!!

> Don't be silly - I was merely making a comment on something Christine
> might not have considered. Christine is actually a friend and I was
> merely making an observation.

And given the new mood, not out of place Hopefully, it was taken in the
right spirit
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Captain Peter Swallows egged:

>>> And then the fight started!!!

>> Don't be silly - I was merely making a comment on something Christine
>> might not have considered. Christine is actually a friend and I was
>> merely making an observation.
>>

> LOL!! I know that, however, your comments could be taken either way,
> dependant on what mood Christine (or anyone else) was in at the time.
> It's also a take on a standard joke in Oz.....something along the lines
> of..........
>
> I was driving to work the other day and rear eneded the car in front of
> me when it stopped suddenly. A dwarf got out and stormed over to me and
> said "I'm not happy!".
> And I said "Which one are you then?"
>
> And then the fight started......... ;-)

Got a thing for jokes about little people and rear-ending, eh? I see you
had to give up your job in Adelaide for similar reasons:

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/...ndecent-assaut

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

>> Ophelia understood..and she corrected me in that she was asking about
>> Jill's recipe. I misunderstood and thought she was asking about mine
>> (which is really the one that Bob Terwilliger posted).

> You are quite right, Christine and I took no offence.

Nor did I, but I do want to make one thing clear: I merely posted the
recipe here. Full credit for its development goes to Cook's Illustrated.

Bob