Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Holiday dinner plans?

It's looking like Christmas dinner will be Sunday night, while my mom is
here and husband is off work. I'm thinking about:

ham
green beans
sweet potato casserole
rolls
corn casserole
pie -- I usually make pumpkin pie.
fruit

Christmas breakfast will be:
cinnamon rolls
pigs in blankets
fruit
maybe ham biscuits

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/20/2012 7:24 PM, Christine Dabney wrote:

> We used to make ham biscuits now and then when I was growing up. We
> made the type of biscuit that I think of as especially for country
> ham: Angel Biscuits.
>
> Do you make those? They are leavened with both baking powder and
> yeast... I always remember them on Christmas day breakfast.

I made them one time. They baked rather flat. Is that how they're
supposed to come out?

This is the recipe I used:

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Angel Yeast Biscuits

breads

1/4 oz package active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (105 degrees to 115 degr
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 cup warm buttermilk (110 to 115 degrees
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup cold butter

In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar; let
stand for 5 minutes. Stir in buttermilk; set aside. In a bowl, combine
the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until
mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in yeast mixture; mix well.
Turn onto a floured surface; gently knead for 1 minute. Place in a
greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm
place until doubled, about 30 minutes.

Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll to 3/4-in.
thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. round biscuit cutter. Place 2
in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Prick tops with a fork. Cover and
let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
Bake at 375 degrees F for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove
from pan to cool on a wire rack. Serve warm.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/angel-yeast-biscuits/

Notes: Karen Regennitter
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I apparently am dog watching my niece's husband's dog. Last time it did not
go well, and he barked at me alot. Weird dog. He would bark acting
territorial then settle down and want to play catch and act like I was his
new BFF after a bit... This happened every time I came over for two days of
watching him at her house.

holiday street music
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v...ature=youtu.be

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 20, 5:50*pm, "Somebody" > wrote:
> I apparently am dog watching my niece's husband's dog. *Last time it did not
> go well, and he barked at me alot. *Weird dog. *He would bark acting
> territorial then settle down and want to play catch and act like I was his
> new BFF after a bit... *This happened every time I came over for two days of
> watching him at her house.
>
> holiday street musichttp://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=GBaHPND2QJg&feature=youtu.be

I hope that doesn't mean dog is on the menu...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > wrote in message
On Dec 20, 5:50 pm, "Somebody" > wrote:
> I apparently am dog watching my niece's husband's dog. Last time it did
> not
> go well, and he barked at me alot. Weird dog. He would bark acting
> territorial then settle down and want to play catch and act like I was his
> new BFF after a bit... This happened every time I came over for two days
> of
> watching him at her house.
>
> holiday street music
> http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v...ature=youtu.be

I hope that doesn't mean dog is on the menu...
---

only veggie dogs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 18:07:34 -0600, Tara >
> wrote:
>
>>It's looking like Christmas dinner will be Sunday night, while my mom is
>>here and husband is off work. I'm thinking about:

>>Christmas breakfast will be:

>>maybe ham biscuits
>>
>>Tara
>>

> We used to make ham biscuits now and then when I was growing up. We
> made the type of biscuit that I think of as especially for country
> ham: Angel Biscuits.
>
> Do you make those? They are leavened with both baking powder and
> yeast... I always remember them on Christmas day breakfast.

What are 'ham biscuits'? Are they something with ham baked in, or just
served with ham?

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/21/2012 4:25 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 18:07:34 -0600, Tara >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> It's looking like Christmas dinner will be Sunday night, while my mom is
>>> here and husband is off work. I'm thinking about:

>>> Christmas breakfast will be:

>>> maybe ham biscuits
>>>
>>> Tara
>>>

>> We used to make ham biscuits now and then when I was growing up. We
>> made the type of biscuit that I think of as especially for country
>> ham: Angel Biscuits.
>>
>> Do you make those? They are leavened with both baking powder and
>> yeast... I always remember them on Christmas day breakfast.

> What are 'ham biscuits'? Are they something with ham baked in, or just
> served with ham?

Biscuits (think scones) with sliced ham and perhaps some sort of
condiment, served like small sandwiches.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 12/21/2012 4:25 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Christine Dabney" > wrote in message

>>> We used to make ham biscuits now and then when I was growing up. We
>>> made the type of biscuit that I think of as especially for country
>>> ham: Angel Biscuits.
>>>
>>> Do you make those? They are leavened with both baking powder and
>>> yeast... I always remember them on Christmas day breakfast.

>> What are 'ham biscuits'? Are they something with ham baked in, or just
>> served with ham?
>>

> Biscuits (think scones) with sliced ham and perhaps some sort of
> condiment, served like small sandwiches.

Thanks

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:

> On Dec 20, 5:50 pm, "Somebody" > wrote:
> > I apparently am dog watching my niece's husband's dog. Last time it did not
> > go well, and he barked at me alot. Weird dog. He would bark acting
> > territorial then settle down and want to play catch and act like I was his
> > new BFF after a bit... This happened every time I came over for two days of
> > watching him at her house.
> >
> > holiday street musichttp://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=GBaHPND2QJg&feature=youtu.be

> I hope that doesn't mean dog is on the menu...

Do you have a problem with dog meat?
The American indians ate dog as do some Mexicans.