Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default pozole question

I like pozole, but I don't like hominy. If I made pozole myself,
would it be fine to leave out the hominy or do I need to substitute
something else? I'd be fine with plain old kernels of corn.
Foodsubs.com says - Substitutes: barley grits OR dried beans (in
stews and soups) OR buckwheat grits OR potatoes (as a side dish) so
IOW, it's fine to ignore unless you want more bulk in your soup?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Dec 16, 10:46*am, sf > wrote:
> I like pozole, but I don't like hominy. *If I made pozole myself,
> would it be fine to leave out the hominy or do I need to substitute
> something else? *I'd be fine with plain old kernels of corn.
> Foodsubs.com says - Substitutes: * barley grits OR dried beans (in
> stews and soups) OR buckwheat grits OR potatoes (as a side dish) so
> IOW, it's fine to ignore unless you want more bulk in your soup?
>
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

You could certainly leave out the hominy. If you want to add
anything in it's place, what about garbanzo beans?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 10:55:35 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> On Dec 16, 10:46*am, sf > wrote:
> > I like pozole, but I don't like hominy. *If I made pozole myself,
> > would it be fine to leave out the hominy or do I need to substitute
> > something else? *I'd be fine with plain old kernels of corn.
> > Foodsubs.com says - Substitutes: * barley grits OR dried beans (in
> > stews and soups) OR buckwheat grits OR potatoes (as a side dish) so
> > IOW, it's fine to ignore unless you want more bulk in your soup?
> >

> You could certainly leave out the hominy. If you want to add
> anything in it's place, what about garbanzo beans?

You *would* pick the very bean I dislike most! Thanks, sounds
like it's not necessary to make a substitution, but I could if I
decided there was something else that I wanted.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-12-16, ImStillMags > wrote:
> On Dec 16, 10:46*am, sf > wrote:
>> I like pozole, but I don't like hominy. *If I made pozole myself,
>> would it be fine to leave out the hominy or do I need to substitute
>> something else? *I'd be fine with plain old kernels of corn.
>> Foodsubs.com says - Substitutes: * barley grits OR dried beans (in
>> stews and soups) OR buckwheat grits OR potatoes (as a side dish) so
>> IOW, it's fine to ignore unless you want more bulk in your soup?
>>
>> --
>> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

> You could certainly leave out the hominy. If you want to add
> anything in it's place, what about garbanzo beans?

I hate to break it to you, but if it lacks hominy, it's not posole.
Posole is a stew containing meat and nixtamaled corn, which in common
parlance, is hominy. You can leave out the hominy and add tripe,
which gives you menudo. You leave out the hominy and add, well
whatever you like, but without hominy it's not posole. It's jes a
Mexican stew. In fact, you can make it with gummy bears, turnips, and
chicken feathers and call it posole all day long and twice on Tuesday.
But, without hominy it simply is NOT "pozole" and never will be, no
matter how many times you repeat the word.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> I like pozole, but I don't like hominy. If I made pozole myself,
> would it be fine to leave out the hominy or do I need to substitute
> something else? I'd be fine with plain old kernels of corn.
> Foodsubs.com says - Substitutes: barley grits OR dried beans (in
> stews and soups) OR buckwheat grits OR potatoes (as a side dish) so
> IOW, it's fine to ignore unless you want more bulk in your soup?

If you like corn, why do you not like hominy? Hominy to me tastes like
popcorn. Though I would not advocate using it as a substitute.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-12-16, Christine Dabney > wrote:

> to the nixtamaled corn/hominy used..and often in the stores here, that
> is the way it labeled on the packages, as posole.

Yep. At one time, I even thought posole translated directly as
hominy, but it doesn't. I too have seen straight hominy labelled as
posole, as you state.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 16 Dec 2012 20:00:10 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> On 2012-12-16, ImStillMags > wrote:
> > On Dec 16, 10:46*am, sf > wrote:
> >> I like pozole, but I don't like hominy. *If I made pozole myself,
> >> would it be fine to leave out the hominy or do I need to substitute
> >> something else? *I'd be fine with plain old kernels of corn.
> >> Foodsubs.com says - Substitutes: * barley grits OR dried beans (in
> >> stews and soups) OR buckwheat grits OR potatoes (as a side dish) so
> >> IOW, it's fine to ignore unless you want more bulk in your soup?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

> > You could certainly leave out the hominy. If you want to add
> > anything in it's place, what about garbanzo beans?

> I hate to break it to you, but if it lacks hominy, it's not posole.
> Posole is a stew containing meat and nixtamaled corn, which in common
> parlance, is hominy. You can leave out the hominy and add tripe,
> which gives you menudo. You leave out the hominy and add, well
> whatever you like, but without hominy it's not posole. It's jes a
> Mexican stew. In fact, you can make it with gummy bears, turnips, and
> chicken feathers and call it posole all day long and twice on Tuesday.
> But, without hominy it simply is NOT "pozole" and never will be, no
> matter how many times you repeat the word.

Good. I like menudo too, but I don't like the tripe. So if I can
make something that tastes like they do without the nasty stuff, I
don't care what they call it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-12-16, Paul M. Cook > wrote:
> If you like corn, why do you not like hominy? Hominy to me tastes like
> popcorn. Though I would not advocate using it as a substitute.

Perhap she jes became tired of it. I did, at one time, my mom serving
it so often when I was a kid. To this day, she will still pan fry
some canned hominy and canned pineapple chunks together in a skillet.
Not something I would choose, but I gotta admit, I've eaten worse.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 12:02:08 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> >
> > I like pozole, but I don't like hominy. If I made pozole myself,
> > would it be fine to leave out the hominy or do I need to substitute
> > something else? I'd be fine with plain old kernels of corn.
> > Foodsubs.com says - Substitutes: barley grits OR dried beans (in
> > stews and soups) OR buckwheat grits OR potatoes (as a side dish) so
> > IOW, it's fine to ignore unless you want more bulk in your soup?

> If you like corn, why do you not like hominy? Hominy to me tastes like
> popcorn. Though I would not advocate using it as a substitute.

Intellectually, I know hominy began life as corn but that's where it
stops for me. I hate the taste and I hate the texture - I don't like
garbanzo beans for the same reasons that I don't like hominy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2012-12-16, Paul M. Cook > wrote:
>> If you like corn, why do you not like hominy? Hominy to me tastes like
>> popcorn. Though I would not advocate using it as a substitute.

> Perhap she jes became tired of it. I did, at one time, my mom serving
> it so often when I was a kid. To this day, she will still pan fry
> some canned hominy and canned pineapple chunks together in a skillet.
> Not something I would choose, but I gotta admit, I've eaten worse.

Hominy sauted in butter and salt is all you need. Pineapple would not work
IMO.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 12:02:08 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > I like pozole, but I don't like hominy. If I made pozole myself,
>> > would it be fine to leave out the hominy or do I need to substitute
>> > something else? I'd be fine with plain old kernels of corn.
>> > Foodsubs.com says - Substitutes: barley grits OR dried beans (in
>> > stews and soups) OR buckwheat grits OR potatoes (as a side dish) so
>> > IOW, it's fine to ignore unless you want more bulk in your soup?

>> If you like corn, why do you not like hominy? Hominy to me tastes like
>> popcorn. Though I would not advocate using it as a substitute.
>>

> Intellectually, I know hominy began life as corn but that's where it
> stops for me. I hate the taste and I hate the texture - I don't like
> garbanzo beans for the same reasons that I don't like hominy.

I can't think of any sub for it. The taste and texture is what makes the
dish. You could use white kidney beans I suppose and it would taste OK but
it would not be pozole. I'd make chile verde with the same ingredients
minus the hominy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 13:28:31 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

> On 16 Dec 2012 20:00:10 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>

> >I hate to break it to you, but if it lacks hominy, it's not posole.
> >Posole is a stew containing meat and nixtamaled corn, which in common
> >parlance, is hominy. You can leave out the hominy and add tripe,
> >which gives you menudo. You leave out the hominy and add, well
> >whatever you like, but without hominy it's not posole. It's jes a
> >Mexican stew. In fact, you can make it with gummy bears, turnips, and
> >chicken feathers and call it posole all day long and twice on Tuesday.
> >But, without hominy it simply is NOT "pozole" and never will be, no
> >matter how many times you repeat the word.
> >
> >nb

> Agreed wholeheartedly, from here in the land of posole. Posole refers
> to the nixtamaled corn/hominy used..and often in the stores here, that
> is the way it labeled on the packages, as posole. If you substitute
> something else, it isn't posole.
>
> Not that you cannot substitute something else..but it can't be called
> posole then.

If I like menudo or pozole, how do you propose I'd find a recipe for
the rest of it? My solution is to use one of those recipes and leave
out what I don't like. I don't give a damn what it's called
afterward.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 12:54:03 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

> I can't think of any sub for it. The taste and texture is what makes the
> dish. You could use white kidney beans I suppose and it would taste OK but
> it would not be pozole. I'd make chile verde with the same ingredients
> minus the hominy.

I'm not interested in making "pozole" as defined by this thread, just
something with the same flavor as the soup base. Hominy doesn't
contribute anything I like to the mix because I like it much better
after I pick all the hominy out.

Not sure how you'd make a chili verde out of it because the menudo and
pozole I've eaten was red. This is what I think of as chili verde
http://www.closetcooking.com/2007/09/chili-verde.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 13:58:12 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 12:55:08 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> >If I like menudo or pozole, how do you propose I'd find a recipe for
> >the rest of it? My solution is to use one of those recipes and leave
> >out what I don't like. I don't give a damn what it's called
> >afterward.

> I suspect it will be very disappointing..as it won't taste anything
> like posole, or menudo. It will just be a chile soup...without the
> defining characteristics, and won't have any of the tastes associated
> with posole or menudo.

I just don't see what hominy adds to pozole because it tastes so much
better after I've removed it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 12:54:03 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>
>> I can't think of any sub for it. The taste and texture is what makes the
>> dish. You could use white kidney beans I suppose and it would taste OK
>> but
>> it would not be pozole. I'd make chile verde with the same ingredients
>> minus the hominy.

> I'm not interested in making "pozole" as defined by this thread, just
> something with the same flavor as the soup base. Hominy doesn't
> contribute anything I like to the mix because I like it much better
> after I pick all the hominy out.
>
> Not sure how you'd make a chili verde out of it because the menudo and
> pozole I've eaten was red. This is what I think of as chili verde
> http://www.closetcooking.com/2007/09/chili-verde.html

Looks like it to me, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 13:10:16 -0800, sf > wrote:
>

>>I'm not interested in making "pozole" as defined by this thread, just
>>something with the same flavor as the soup base. Hominy doesn't
>>contribute anything I like to the mix because I like it much better
>>after I pick all the hominy out.

> You won't get something as the same flavor, because the nixtamaled
> corn/hominy is one of the dominant flavors in posole. Remove it, and
> you don't get that flavor you want. You can argue all you want about
> it, but it IS the dominant flavor.
>>
>>Not sure how you'd make a chili verde out of it because the menudo and
>>pozole I've eaten was red. This is what I think of as chili verde
>>http://www.closetcooking.com/2007/09/chili-verde.html

> You don't use green chiles in posole...at least not the posole I have
> had. I use dried red NM chiles.

I can get chicken or pork pozole in red or green soup base pretty much
anywhere in SoCal. I just assumed green because that's always the way I eat
it, with green chilies and jalapenos.

Here is a typical recipe:

http://www.food.com/recipe/authentic...-pozole-196233

It ain't red. But made with red chilies it is also quite tasty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-12-16, Paul M. Cook > wrote:

> Hominy sauted in butter and salt is all you need. Pineapple would not work
> IMO.

Neither is my choice for a dish, but I ate plenty o' hominy n' butter
as a kid. Tasted it w/ pineapple after came out to care for Mom. It
works, but still not something I'd fix for myself.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-12-16, Christine Dabney > wrote:

> You won't get something as the same flavor, because the nixtamaled
> corn/hominy is one of the dominant flavors in posole.

Juanita's Posole is an incredibly good canned version. In fact, may
be the best soup in a can, period. OTOH, you are dead right about
nixtamal. When fresh, it IS the dominate flavor, as my late Mexican
step-mom proved to me when she went to the local taqueria and bought
freshly nixtamalized corn to make her posole. Even the aroma is
unique and cannot be gotten from a can. It IS what posole is all
about.

> Remove it, and you don't get that flavor you want. You can argue all
> you want about it, but it IS the dominant flavor.

She doesn't know what she wants, but she WILL argue. That you can
count on!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-12-16 18:46:26 +0000, sf said:

> I like pozole, but I don't like hominy. If I made pozole myself,
> would it be fine to leave out the hominy or do I need to substitute
> something else? I'd be fine with plain old kernels of corn.
> Foodsubs.com says - Substitutes: barley grits OR dried beans (in
> stews and soups) OR buckwheat grits OR potatoes (as a side dish) so
> IOW, it's fine to ignore unless you want more bulk in your soup?

You may leave the hominy out of your hominy soup and use substitutes of
your preference. But you should invent a new name for it so as to not
confuse others.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-12-16 21:12:23 +0000, sf said:

> On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 13:58:12 -0700, Christine Dabney
> > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 12:55:08 -0800, sf > wrote:
>>
>>> If I like menudo or pozole, how do you propose I'd find a recipe for
>>> the rest of it? My solution is to use one of those recipes and leave
>>> out what I don't like. I don't give a damn what it's called
>>> afterward.

>> I suspect it will be very disappointing..as it won't taste anything
>> like posole, or menudo. It will just be a chile soup...without the
>> defining characteristics, and won't have any of the tastes associated
>> with posole or menudo.
>>

> I just don't see what hominy adds to pozole because it tastes so much
> better after I've removed it.

Each to their own tastes, but I'm eagerly looking forward to a new
name; you have complete and unqualified freedom in this regard!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2012-12-16, Christine Dabney > wrote:
>

>> You won't get something as the same flavor, because the nixtamaled
>> corn/hominy is one of the dominant flavors in posole.

> Juanita's Posole is an incredibly good canned version. In fact, may
> be the best soup in a can, period. OTOH, you are dead right about
> nixtamal. When fresh, it IS the dominate flavor, as my late Mexican
> step-mom proved to me when she went to the local taqueria and bought
> freshly nixtamalized corn to make her posole. Even the aroma is
> unique and cannot be gotten from a can. It IS what posole is all
> about.

Juanita's makes a lot of great stuff. I installed their new phone system
back in 2010. I was secretly hoping they'd load me up with some good stuff
so I told the boss how much I loved their food. Nope. Their steak Colorado
makes the best wet burritos. Their chili verde makes awesome enchiladas. I
love the albondigas and of course their pozole both chicken and pork. And
they make the only canned menudo I like.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-12-17, Paul M. Cook > wrote:

> so I told the boss how much I loved their food. Nope. Their steak Colorado
> makes the best wet burritos. Their chili verde makes awesome enchiladas. I
> love the albondigas and of course their pozole both chicken and pork. And
> they make the only canned menudo I like.

I'd kill for any of those. That's the problem with living in a
no-Mexican zone. All we can get is menudo and their hominy.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 15:29:00 -0800, gtr > wrote:

> On 2012-12-16 21:12:23 +0000, sf said:
>
> > On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 13:58:12 -0700, Christine Dabney
> > > wrote:

> >> I suspect it will be very disappointing..as it won't taste anything
> >> like posole, or menudo. It will just be a chile soup...without the
> >> defining characteristics, and won't have any of the tastes associated
> >> with posole or menudo.
> >>

> > I just don't see what hominy adds to pozole because it tastes so much
> > better after I've removed it.

> Each to their own tastes, but I'm eagerly looking forward to a new
> name; you have complete and unqualified freedom in this regard!

To be perfectly honest, I won't rename it because I don't care about
the details as much as the hominy lovers seem to care.

I like the "soup" base and I hate hominy. So sue me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 16 Dec 2012 22:17:04 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> On 2012-12-16, Christine Dabney > wrote:
>

> > You won't get something as the same flavor, because the nixtamaled
> > corn/hominy is one of the dominant flavors in posole.

> Juanita's Posole is an incredibly good canned version. In fact, may
> be the best soup in a can, period. OTOH, you are dead right about
> nixtamal. When fresh, it IS the dominate flavor, as my late Mexican
> step-mom proved to me when she went to the local taqueria and bought
> freshly nixtamalized corn to make her posole. Even the aroma is
> unique and cannot be gotten from a can. It IS what posole is all
> about.
>
> > Remove it, and you don't get that flavor you want. You can argue all
> > you want about it, but it IS the dominant flavor.

> She doesn't know what she wants, but she WILL argue. That you can
> count on!

I can't help but want to hit you upside da head sometimes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 15:27:21 -0800, gtr > wrote:

> On 2012-12-16 18:46:26 +0000, sf said:
>
> > I like pozole, but I don't like hominy. If I made pozole myself,
> > would it be fine to leave out the hominy or do I need to substitute
> > something else? I'd be fine with plain old kernels of corn.
> > Foodsubs.com says - Substitutes: barley grits OR dried beans (in
> > stews and soups) OR buckwheat grits OR potatoes (as a side dish) so
> > IOW, it's fine to ignore unless you want more bulk in your soup?

> You may leave the hominy out of your hominy soup and use substitutes of
> your preference. But you should invent a new name for it so as to not
> confuse others.

My intent is to eat it a soup that *I* like, not to "spread the word".

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-12-17 04:35:24 +0000, sf said:

> On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 15:27:21 -0800, gtr > wrote:
>
>> On 2012-12-16 18:46:26 +0000, sf said:
>>
>>> I like pozole, but I don't like hominy. If I made pozole myself,
>>> would it be fine to leave out the hominy or do I need to substitute
>>> something else? I'd be fine with plain old kernels of corn.
>>> Foodsubs.com says - Substitutes: barley grits OR dried beans (in
>>> stews and soups) OR buckwheat grits OR potatoes (as a side dish) so
>>> IOW, it's fine to ignore unless you want more bulk in your soup?

>> You may leave the hominy out of your hominy soup and use substitutes of
>> your preference. But you should invent a new name for it so as to not
>> confuse others.

> My intent is to eat it a soup that *I* like, not to "spread the word".

Well okay. I like a Bob Elliot pizza. Ever had one?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2012-12-17, Paul M. Cook > wrote:
>

>> so I told the boss how much I loved their food. Nope. Their steak
>> Colorado
>> makes the best wet burritos. Their chili verde makes awesome enchiladas.
>> love the albondigas and of course their pozole both chicken and pork.
>> And
>> they make the only canned menudo I like.

> I'd kill for any of those. That's the problem with living in a
> no-Mexican zone. All we can get is menudo and their hominy.

In a similar no-Mexican zone I do a lot of ordering from
Walmart.com. They usually have many of the Juanita
products, in 12 can cases, at fairly reasonable prices.
They ship free at about $50. per order and you can
always find something from Walmart to fill out an
order. My last included a case of Menudo Picante
for 34.68, no shipping charge. Under $3. per can
is reasonable for me to be able to get the stuff, and
having a backstock of it is nice.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2012-12-17, Paul M. Cook > wrote:
>

>> so I told the boss how much I loved their food. Nope. Their steak
>> Colorado
>> makes the best wet burritos. Their chili verde makes awesome enchiladas.
>> love the albondigas and of course their pozole both chicken and pork.
>> And
>> they make the only canned menudo I like.

> I'd kill for any of those. That's the problem with living in a
> no-Mexican zone. All we can get is menudo and their hominy.

We can work this out. I will send you a list of names.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-12-17, pavane > wrote:
> Walmart.com. They usually have many of the Juanita
> products, in 12 can cases, at fairly reasonable prices.
> They ship free at about $50. per order and you can
> always find something from Walmart to fill out an
> order. My last included a case of Menudo Picante
> for 34.68, no shipping charge. Under $3. per can

I reckon mix n' match is asking too much.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 16, 2012 12:46:26 PM UTC-6, sf wrote:
> I like pozole, but I don't like hominy. If I made pozole myself,
>
> would it be fine to leave out the hominy or do I need to substitute
>
> something else?

The Wikipedia page on pozole gives pork a real compliment:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pozole

--Bryan