Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Good find at thrift sto pizza pan

I bought a heavy steel "pan pizza" pan yesterday at the Goodwill store,
for $2.99 It looks like a commercial kitchen pan, not new, but hasn't
been used much. The brand is stamped on the bottom but I can't quite
make it out (I should try again with reading glasses)

Now I need to figure out how to cook pizza in it; what's different
between pan pizza and medium-thick crust baked on a regular pizza pan or
a cookie sheet.

Any suggestions?

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 15, 10:56*am, zxcvbob > wrote:
> I bought a heavy steel "pan pizza" pan yesterday at the Goodwill store,
> for $2.99 *It looks like a commercial kitchen pan, not new, but hasn't
> been used much. *The brand is stamped on the bottom but I can't quite
> make it out (I should try again with reading glasses)
>
> Now I need to figure out how to cook pizza in it; what's different
> between pan pizza and medium-thick crust baked on a regular pizza pan or
> a cookie sheet.
>
> Any suggestions?

This is my Bible. Try to get it on Interlibrary loan:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...Pizza_Cookbook
Posted to rec.food.cooking

spamtrap1888 wrote:
> On Dec 15, 10:56 am, zxcvbob > wrote:
>> I bought a heavy steel "pan pizza" pan yesterday at the Goodwill store,
>> for $2.99 It looks like a commercial kitchen pan, not new, but hasn't
>> been used much. The brand is stamped on the bottom but I can't quite
>> make it out (I should try again with reading glasses)
>>
>> Now I need to figure out how to cook pizza in it; what's different
>> between pan pizza and medium-thick crust baked on a regular pizza pan or
>> a cookie sheet.
>>
>> Any suggestions?

> This is my Bible. Try to get it on Interlibrary loan:
>
> http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...Pizza_Cookbook

Thanks! My library actually has that on the shelf.

bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> spamtrap1888 > wrote:
>
>>One of the best places to get Chicago-style deep dish is Zachary's in
>>Oakland, Calif.

> Too many irritating preppies there for me to want to go there.
>

> Steve

competition?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gregz" > wrote in message
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>> I bought a heavy steel "pan pizza" pan yesterday at the Goodwill store,
>> for $2.99 It looks like a commercial kitchen pan, not new, but hasn't
>> been used much. The brand is stamped on the bottom but I can't quite
>> make it out (I should try again with reading glasses)
>>
>> Now I need to figure out how to cook pizza in it; what's different
>> between pan pizza and medium-thick crust baked on a regular pizza pan or
>> a cookie sheet.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> -Bob

> That might have cone out of an old pizza shop that didn't cook on pans.
> They simply cut the pizza on the pan after it was taken off the oven
> floor.
> Many good shops still do this.
> Greg

not with deep dish, eh?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pico Rico > wrote:

>"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
>> spamtrap1888 > wrote:
>>
>>>One of the best places to get Chicago-style deep dish is Zachary's in
>>>Oakland, Calif.

>> Too many irritating preppies there for me to want to go there.
>>

>> Steve

>competition?

I like it that places like Zachary's exist, because they contain
a bunch of irritating preppies so that I run into fewer of them in the
places I normally go to.

The same can be said for Triple Rock.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> This is my Bible. Try to get it on Interlibrary loan:
>
> http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...icago_Style_Pi...

I just got a copy on Ebay for less than eight bucks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pico Rico" > wrote:
> "gregz" > wrote in message
>> zxcvbob > wrote:
>>> I bought a heavy steel "pan pizza" pan yesterday at the Goodwill store,
>>> for $2.99 It looks like a commercial kitchen pan, not new, but hasn't
>>> been used much. The brand is stamped on the bottom but I can't quite
>>> make it out (I should try again with reading glasses)
>>>
>>> Now I need to figure out how to cook pizza in it; what's different
>>> between pan pizza and medium-thick crust baked on a regular pizza pan or
>>> a cookie sheet.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> -Bob

>> That might have cone out of an old pizza shop that didn't cook on pans.
>> They simply cut the pizza on the pan after it was taken off the oven
>> floor.
>> Many good shops still do this.
>> Greg

> not with deep dish, eh?

Not with dish. I watched the pizza paradise segment again tonight. What I
saw the ny places do not cook on pans, and into the 700 degree oven, you
get those nice black spots. I didn't see any black on the Chicago pizzas.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 00:28:34 +0000 (UTC), gregz >
wrote:

> "Pico Rico" > wrote:
> > "gregz" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> That might have cone out of an old pizza shop that didn't cook on pans.
> >> They simply cut the pizza on the pan after it was taken off the oven
> >> floor.
> >> Many good shops still do this.
> >> Greg

> > not with deep dish, eh?

> Not with dish. I watched the pizza paradise segment again tonight. What I
> saw the ny places do not cook on pans, and into the 700 degree oven, you
> get those nice black spots. I didn't see any black on the Chicago pizzas.

You can't cook a deep dish pizza (why is that stuff called "pizza"?)
at a high temperature because you won't heat the middle before you've
burned the outside... hopefully, you already knew that.

With the Neapolitan pizzas, I bet the original bakers didn't want
black spots. I think they were going for brown but black was the best
they could do most of the time considering the blasting heat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Pico Rico" > wrote:

>>> That might have cone out of an old pizza shop that didn't cook on pans.
>>> They simply cut the pizza on the pan after it was taken off the oven
>>> floor.
>>> Many good shops still do this.
>>> Greg

>> not with deep dish, eh?

>Not with dish. I watched the pizza paradise segment again tonight. What I
>saw the ny places do not cook on pans, and into the 700 degree oven, you
>get those nice black spots. I didn't see any black on the Chicago pizzas.
>
>Greg

Those low sided pans are for serving, not baking. Deep dish is not
pizza, it's a casserole.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> I bought a heavy steel "pan pizza" pan yesterday at the Goodwill store,
> for $2.99 It looks like a commercial kitchen pan, not new, but hasn't
> been used much. The brand is stamped on the bottom but I can't quite
> make it out (I should try again with reading glasses)
>
> Now I need to figure out how to cook pizza in it; what's different
> between pan pizza and medium-thick crust baked on a regular pizza pan or
> a cookie sheet.
>
> Any suggestions?

For a regular pizza, not a deep dish, cook pizza at 425 for 20 minutes, then
check it.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 15, 6:58*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 00:28:34 +0000 (UTC), gregz >
> wrote:

> >> not with deep dish, eh?

> >Not with dish. I watched the pizza paradise segment again tonight. What I
> >saw the ny places do not cook on pans, and into the 700 degree oven, you
> >get those nice black spots. I didn't see any black on the Chicago pizzas..

> >Greg

> Those low sided pans are for serving, not baking. *Deep dish is not
> pizza, it's a casserole.

They are pies. Pizza is a pie.

Deep dish pizza was developed by either Richard Novaretti, or Rudy
Malnati, or both, during WW II.