Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default why isn't zucchini used more often?

I put some on a pizza last night. Diced up, it's excellent on pizza. Yet,
I only know of one pizza place in the metro area that offers zucchini as an
ingredient... Zucchini is not very expensive, and keeps fairly well. So
why is it not seen more often? By itself, not much flavor but in a sauce
soaks up whatever it is in.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Somebody" wrote in message ...

I put some on a pizza last night. Diced up, it's excellent on pizza. Yet,
I only know of one pizza place in the metro area that offers zucchini as an
ingredient... Zucchini is not very expensive, and keeps fairly well. So
why is it not seen more often? By itself, not much flavor but in a sauce
soaks up whatever it is in.

~~~~~~~~~~
A lot of people may not realize how versatile it is. Years ago, my mother
made lasagna using sliced zucchini instead of lasagna noodles. Remarkably,
it tasted exactly like "regular" lasagna--it was delicious, and people who
at it did not know a substitution had been made. She layered everything
else just as she did when she used noodles. We had a small garden, so we
had our own zucchini all summer and into the fall (until we got the first
freeze).

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MaryL wrote:
> "Somebody" wrote in message ...
>
> I put some on a pizza last night. Diced up, it's excellent on pizza.
> Yet, I only know of one pizza place in the metro area that offers
> zucchini as an ingredient... Zucchini is not very expensive, and
> keeps fairly well. So why is it not seen more often? By itself, not
> much flavor but in a sauce soaks up whatever it is in.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~
> A lot of people may not realize how versatile it is. Years ago, my
> mother made lasagna using sliced zucchini instead of lasagna noodles.
> Remarkably, it tasted exactly like "regular" lasagna--it was
> delicious, and people who at it did not know a substitution had been
> made. She layered everything else just as she did when she used
> noodles. We had a small garden, so we had our own zucchini all
> summer and into the fall (until we got the first freeze).
>
> MaryL

My parents used to grow it and, Gawd, the quantities they had - we had
zucchini _everything_. Zucchini fritters, zucchini lasagna, zucchini
chocolate cake, even.

I think the reason it isn't used more is its lack of flavor. Fried, of
course, just about anything tastes good, including zucchini.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Somebody" > wrote in message
>I put some on a pizza last night. Diced up, it's excellent on pizza. Yet,
>I only know of one pizza place in the metro area that offers zucchini as an
>ingredient... Zucchini is not very expensive, and keeps fairly well. So
>why is it not seen more often? By itself, not much flavor but in a sauce
>soaks up whatever it is in.

Didn't it get very watery?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 14, 10:01*am, "Steve Freides" > wrote:
> My parents used to grow it and, Gawd, the quantities they had - we had
> zucchini _everything_. *Zucchini fritters, zucchini lasagna, zucchini
> chocolate cake, even.
>
> I think the reason it isn't used more is its lack of flavor. *Fried, of
> course, just about anything tastes good, including zucchini.
>
> -S-

Try pan frying with lots of paprika. It's about the only way I like
courgettes.

http://www.richardfisher.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 07:18:00 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "Somebody" > wrote in message
> >I put some on a pizza last night. Diced up, it's excellent on pizza. Yet,
> >I only know of one pizza place in the metro area that offers zucchini as an
> >ingredient... Zucchini is not very expensive, and keeps fairly well. So
> >why is it not seen more often? By itself, not much flavor but in a sauce
> >soaks up whatever it is in.

> Didn't it get very watery?

Zucchini isn't watery unless it's over cooked.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Somebody" wrote:

>I put some on a pizza last night. Diced up, it's excellent on pizza. Yet,
>I only know of one pizza place in the metro area that offers zucchini as an
>ingredient... Zucchini is not very expensive, and keeps fairly well. So
>why is it not seen more often? By itself, not much flavor but in a sauce
>soaks up whatever it is in.

Fresh zuchinni is more a summer crop, fresh is not so inexpensive out
of season... most pizzarias around here in summer regularly serve deep
fried breaded zuke sticks with dipping sauce. I prefer zuchinni
grilled, smaller ones sliced in half lengthwise, large ones sliced
crosswise on the bias into slabs... brush with oil, season, grill...
delicious. I like all kinds of veggies grilled.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 23:19:12 +1100, John J > wrote:

>On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 06:55:44 -0500, "Somebody" >
>wrote:
>
>>I put some on a pizza last night. Diced up, it's excellent on pizza. Yet,
>>I only know of one pizza place in the metro area that offers zucchini as an
>>ingredient... Zucchini is not very expensive, and keeps fairly well. So
>>why is it not seen more often? By itself, not much flavor but in a sauce
>>soaks up whatever it is in.

>Yes, a great vegetable. And easy to home grow a lot (or even too much)
>of during the warmer months. Maybe it's considered too bland for on a
>pizza.

I think raw zuke is too wet to top pizza.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 09:32:47 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 07:18:00 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>

>> "Somebody" > wrote in message
>> >I put some on a pizza last night. Diced up, it's excellent on pizza. Yet,
>> >I only know of one pizza place in the metro area that offers zucchini as an
>> >ingredient... Zucchini is not very expensive, and keeps fairly well. So
>> >why is it not seen more often? By itself, not much flavor but in a sauce
>> >soaks up whatever it is in.

>> Didn't it get very watery?
>>

>Zucchini isn't watery unless it's over cooked.

Your dumb ass is over cooked... 15 minutes in a pizza oven produces a
lake.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 07:18:00 -0800, "Julie Bove"

> wrote:

>> "Somebody" > wrote in message

>>>I put some on a pizza last night. Diced up, it's excellent on pizza. Yet,
>>>I only know of one pizza place in the metro area that offers zucchini as an
>>>ingredient... Zucchini is not very expensive, and keeps fairly well. So
>>>why is it not seen more often? By itself, not much flavor but in a sauce
>>>soaks up whatever it is in.

>> Didn't it get very watery?

>Zucchini isn't watery unless it's over cooked.

IMO Zucchini is best cooked with a dry method. Oven-roasting is ideal.
Then it actually loses moisture instead of becoming waterlogged,
and the flavors concentrate. (Zucchini is not flavorless, although
the degree of flavor varies wildly.)

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 09:32:47 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 07:18:00 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>>> Didn't it get very watery?
>>>

>>Zucchini isn't watery unless it's over cooked.

> Your dumb ass is over cooked... 15 minutes in a pizza oven produces a
> lake.

I would think so. When we lived on Cape Cod, I ordered a veggie pizza and
assumed that it would have the same veggies that a pizza normally does. But
they smothered it in broccoli and the broccoli got so watery that the pizza
was inedible.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 09:32:47 -0800, sf wrote:
>
>> Zucchini isn't watery unless it's over cooked.

> Wouldn't it get LESS watery as it cooks?

The zucchini, yes. I have learned that when I add it to meatloaf, I have to
cook it down first. But I would suspect if put raw on a pizza, it would
give the liquid off onto the pizza.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 14:25:20 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> > On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 09:32:47 -0800, sf > wrote:

> >>Zucchini isn't watery unless it's over cooked.

> > Your dumb ass is over cooked... 15 minutes in a pizza oven produces a
> > lake.

> I would think so. When we lived on Cape Cod, I ordered a veggie pizza and
> assumed that it would have the same veggies that a pizza normally does. But
> they smothered it in broccoli and the broccoli got so watery that the pizza
> was inedible.

He's an idiot. Pizza baked in a home oven takes only half that time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 14/12/2012 4:04 PM, Steve Pope wrote:

> IMO Zucchini is best cooked with a dry method. Oven-roasting is ideal.
> Then it actually loses moisture instead of becoming waterlogged,
> and the flavors concentrate. (Zucchini is not flavorless, although
> the degree of flavor varies wildly.)

I like it the way y wife does it......blanched, the fried in olice oil
and sprinkled with Parmesan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/14/2012 1:55 AM, Somebody wrote:
> I put some on a pizza last night. Diced up, it's excellent on pizza. Yet,
> I only know of one pizza place in the metro area that offers zucchini as an
> ingredient... Zucchini is not very expensive, and keeps fairly well. So
> why is it not seen more often? By itself, not much flavor but in a sauce
> soaks up whatever it is in.

I like to stir-fry zucchini, it comes out OK. Hot Dog on a Stick at the
mall makes a popular deep-fried tempura zucchini. That's probably the
best way to serve zucchini. I like to order it with fish fried in the
same batter. We dip the fish and zucchini in tartar sauce. Damn, that's
good stuff!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 14:25:20 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>> > Your dumb ass is over cooked... 15 minutes in a pizza oven produces a
>> > lake.

>> I would think so. When we lived on Cape Cod, I ordered a veggie pizza
>> and
>> assumed that it would have the same veggies that a pizza normally does.
>> But
>> they smothered it in broccoli and the broccoli got so watery that the
>> pizza
>> was inedible.
>>

> He's an idiot. Pizza baked in a home oven takes only half that time.

Not in *my* oven it doesn't! I think 20 minutes is about standard unless
perhaps you are using something like a Boboli or a par baked crust or
perhaps a frozen pizza.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Somebody" > wrote in message
>>I put some on a pizza last night. Diced up, it's excellent on pizza.
>>Yet, I only know of one pizza place in the metro area that offers zucchini
>>as an ingredient... Zucchini is not very expensive, and keeps fairly
>>well. So why is it not seen more often? By itself, not much flavor but
>>in a sauce soaks up whatever it is in.

> Didn't it get very watery?

nope, not at all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 09:32:47 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 07:18:00 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>>> Didn't it get very watery?
>>>

>>Zucchini isn't watery unless it's over cooked.

> Your dumb ass is over cooked... 15 minutes in a pizza oven produces a
> lake.

Not in my version of reality.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message

>But you basically have to make a series of errors to end up in that
>situation.

my cooking is sometimes best described this way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Somebody" > wrote:
> I put some on a pizza last night. Diced up, it's excellent on pizza. Yet,
> I only know of one pizza place in the metro area that offers zucchini as an
> ingredient... Zucchini is not very expensive, and keeps fairly well. So
> why is it not seen more often? By itself, not much flavor but in a sauce
> soaks up whatever it is in.

Same could be said of eggplant. That's real Italian.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 15:22:03 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 14:25:20 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:

> >> I would think so. When we lived on Cape Cod, I ordered a veggie pizza
> >> and
> >> assumed that it would have the same veggies that a pizza normally does.
> >> But
> >> they smothered it in broccoli and the broccoli got so watery that the
> >> pizza
> >> was inedible.
> >>

> > He's an idiot. Pizza baked in a home oven takes only half that time.

> Not in *my* oven it doesn't! I think 20 minutes is about standard unless
> perhaps you are using something like a Boboli or a par baked crust or
> perhaps a frozen pizza.

I'm talking about pizza made from scratch with home made dough.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 15:22:03 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 14:25:20 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>> > He's an idiot. Pizza baked in a home oven takes only half that time.

>> Not in *my* oven it doesn't! I think 20 minutes is about standard unless
>> perhaps you are using something like a Boboli or a par baked crust or
>> perhaps a frozen pizza.
>>

> I'm talking about pizza made from scratch with home made dough.

Well, I just checked some recipes. Average bake time is 20 minutes. 8-12
for thin crust.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove > wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message

>> On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 15:22:03 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>>> Not in *my* oven it doesn't! I think 20 minutes is about standard unless
>>> perhaps you are using something like a Boboli or a par baked crust or
>>> perhaps a frozen pizza.

>> I'm talking about pizza made from scratch with home made dough.

>Well, I just checked some recipes. Average bake time is 20 minutes. 8-12
>for thin crust.

There are many different styles of pizza. A Naples pizza takes about
90 seconds to bake. At the other extreme is a Chicago pizza which
takes around 50 minutes.

I agree it's probably true that many home cooks in the U.S. will
follow an approach where the pizza ends up baking for 20 minutes,
at least if it is a large pizza. If I personally make a pizza, it
is usually a pseudo-Chicago pizza in a pan, and takes about 25 minutes.
But people opting for more of the original style, using a hotter
oven and a pizza stone, might end up being able to bake a pizza
for about 6 minutes. Somewhere in that range.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "sf" wrote:
> > He's an idiot. Pizza baked in a home oven takes only half that time.

> Not in *my* oven it doesn't! I think 20 minutes is about standard unless
> perhaps you are using something like a Boboli or a par baked crust or
> perhaps a frozen pizza.

I agree with you, Julie. I mostly make homemade pizzas (and my own dough)
and occasionally some enhanced frozen pizzas.

425 for about 20 minutes is the standard cooking time/temp for me.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 15:22:03 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > Not in *my* oven it doesn't! I think 20 minutes is about standard unless
> > perhaps you are using something like a Boboli or a par baked crust or
> > perhaps a frozen pizza.
> >

> I'm talking about pizza made from scratch with home made dough.

So am I, Barbara. 20 minutes at 425 is standard and perfect crust every
time.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 21:49:59 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 15:22:03 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>> Not in *my* oven it doesn't! I think 20 minutes is about standard unless
>>> perhaps you are using something like a Boboli or a par baked crust or
>>> perhaps a frozen pizza.
>>>

>> I'm talking about pizza made from scratch with home made dough.

>Well, I just checked some recipes. Average bake time is 20 minutes. 8-12
>for thin crust.

Every pizzaria I've ever been to (and I've waited, watched, and timed
at more NYC pizzarias than I can count) the standard pizza bake time
is a minimum of 15 minutes before they even begin to check for
doneness, and then it could easily be another five minutes, maybe
more, depending on added toppings and customer's doneness
preference... I always specify well done, what I call "high brown".
The frozen pizzas I buy specify 28 minutes at 400º (naturally a
suggestion) but I do 33-35 minutes at 415º... if I add extra toppings
it may take several minutes longer. I can't imagine any pizza taking
only 8 minutes... takes 5 minutes to toast sliced white bread to
medium... toasting English muffins can take 8 minutes or more because
with most toasters it takes a second cycle. Balloon butt sf eats at
the Bobboli Palace, that ain't pizza anymore than Ritz crackers topped
with ketchup from her toaster oven... Bobboli is fully baked bread,
all you can make with it is a toasted sandwich... what many of yoose
nincompoops call pizza just ain't.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:
>Julie Bove wrote:
> wrote:

Frozen pizza takes longer (~30 minutes) because it's raw crust but
baked frozen.

>>> I'm talking about pizza made from scratch with home made dough.

>>Well, I just checked some recipes. Average bake time is 20 minutes. 8-12
>>for thin crust.

>There are many different styles of pizza. A Naples pizza takes about
>90 seconds to bake.

Stop your gum flapping and point to an URL.

Steve Pope has never baked pizza or even been to a pizzaria, and
obviously he can't tell time. Neapolitan pizza is your standard round
pizza sold everywhere, no way can it take only 90 seconds to bake
unless in a crematorium. Siciliano pizza is a thick crust pie baked
in a full rectangular sheet pan and cut into squares, can take nearly
twice as long to bake. Deep dish pizza I don't consider pizza, it's a
casserole one shovels in with a fork. Steve Pope must eat the same
pizza as balloon butt sf, Ritz crackers topped with ketchup, 90
seconds in the toaster oven. Takes a pizzaria more than 90 seconds to
reheat a slice. Pizza bites can take 20 minutes.
http://www.annies-eats.com/2010/02/01/pizza-bites/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
>Julie Bove wrote:
>> "sf@BalloonButt" wrote:
>> > He's an idiot. Pizza baked in a home oven takes only half that time.

>> Not in *my* oven it doesn't! I think 20 minutes is about standard unless
>> perhaps you are using something like a Boboli or a par baked crust or
>> perhaps a frozen pizza.

>I agree with you, Julie. I mostly make homemade pizzas (and my own dough)
>and occasionally some enhanced frozen pizzas.
>
>425 for about 20 minutes is the standard cooking time/temp for me.
>
>Gary

Twenty minutes is the approximate standard pizza cooking time
everywhere for folks who don't lie... of course there are minor
variables such as dough thickness, amount of toppings, and doneness
desired, but for the standard from scratch pizza a minimum of 20
minutes is typical... frozen pies take 5-10 minutes longer. Just
opening the oven door to slide a pie in will lower the oven
temperature that it needs about five minutes to recover... I know this
because my gas oven is all digital so the oven temperature is
constantly displayed, within seconds of opening the oven door to slide
a pie in I can see that the burner ignites and after closing can be a
good five minutes before it recovers temperature and extinguishes.
Even commercial pizza ovens need a couple minutes recovery time which
is why they don't open the door any more than necessary.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 11:15:03 -0500, Gary > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 15:22:03 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > > Not in *my* oven it doesn't! I think 20 minutes is about standard unless
> > > perhaps you are using something like a Boboli or a par baked crust or
> > > perhaps a frozen pizza.
> > >

> > I'm talking about pizza made from scratch with home made dough.

> So am I, Barbara. 20 minutes at 425 is standard and perfect crust every
> time.

Your oven temperature needs to be checked then.

Got zucchini? gloria.p General Cooking 14 02-08-2010 10:55 PM
Zucchini June H General Cooking 18 27-07-2009 10:03 AM
Zucchini tribute: my recipe with many many pics [was Zucchini?] Pandora General Cooking 7 26-07-2007 01:09 PM
Have Zucchini, Need Zucchini Bread Damsel in dis Dress General Cooking 33 04-08-2006 04:11 AM
Zucchini-Curry Eintopf (Zucchini Curry Stew) Beth Martin Recipes (moderated) 0 27-03-2004 02:19 AM