Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Freezing french toast for later

I bought a loaf of Italian bread, one of those loafs they sell in a
paper sack that isn't sealed. I had some plans for it but never
followed through so tonight I made up some slices of french toast that
included not just eggs and milk, but some egg nog, too. I froze the
slices to cook up later, probably Christmas morning.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 00:48:55 -0500, Cheryl >
wrote:

> I bought a loaf of Italian bread, one of those loafs they sell in a
> paper sack that isn't sealed. I had some plans for it but never
> followed through so tonight I made up some slices of french toast that
> included not just eggs and milk, but some egg nog, too. I froze the
> slices to cook up later, probably Christmas morning.

I would have made bread pudding.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl > wrote:

>I bought a loaf of Italian bread, one of those loafs they sell in a
>paper sack that isn't sealed. I had some plans for it but never
>followed through so tonight I made up some slices of french toast that
>included not just eggs and milk, but some egg nog, too. I froze the
>slices to cook up later, probably Christmas morning.

Sounds great -- French or Italian bread makes the best French toast.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Dec 11, 1:36*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 00:48:55 -0500, Cheryl wrote:
> > I bought a loaf of Italian bread, one of those loafs they sell in a
> > paper sack that isn't sealed. *I had some plans for it but never
> > followed through so tonight I made up some slices of french toast that
> > included not just eggs and milk, but some egg nog, too. *I froze the
> > slices to cook up later, probably Christmas morning.

> Excellent idea to replace milk with egg nog in pancakes. I'm making
> this tomorrow morning.
>
> Or sooner.
>
> -sw

Not only the egg nog, try a couple big spoons full of pumpkin in there
as well.

At the restaurant, during the Holidays, we made pumpkin & spice
pancakes and topped them with pumpkin seeds roasted with sugar,
served with a rum/maple syrup (the real stuff) and a knob of honey
butter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/11/2012 10:28 AM, ImStillMags wrote:
> On Dec 11, 1:36 am, Sqwertz > wrote:
>> On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 00:48:55 -0500, Cheryl wrote:
>>> I bought a loaf of Italian bread, one of those loafs they sell in a
>>> paper sack that isn't sealed. I had some plans for it but never
>>> followed through so tonight I made up some slices of french toast that
>>> included not just eggs and milk, but some egg nog, too. I froze the
>>> slices to cook up later, probably Christmas morning.

>> Excellent idea to replace milk with egg nog in pancakes. I'm making
>> this tomorrow morning.
>>
>> Or sooner.
>>
>> -sw

> Not only the egg nog, try a couple big spoons full of pumpkin in there
> as well.
>
> At the restaurant, during the Holidays, we made pumpkin & spice
> pancakes and topped them with pumpkin seeds roasted with sugar,
> served with a rum/maple syrup (the real stuff) and a knob of honey
> butter.

While I admire the creative effort, seems like a strange combination of
flavours. Rum/maple syrup *and* honey butter... could anyone even tell
there was pumpkin in the pancake batter?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/12/2012 12:48 AM, Cheryl wrote:
> I bought a loaf of Italian bread, one of those loafs they sell in a
> paper sack that isn't sealed. I had some plans for it but never
> followed through so tonight I made up some slices of french toast that
> included not just eggs and milk, but some egg nog, too. I froze the
> slices to cook up later, probably Christmas morning.

I bought a loaf of day old bread at the bakery last week. I let it sit
out for another day. I made some bread pudding with it one day and the
rest went into the freezer. On Sunday I took some out and let it sit out
for a couple hours and made French toast. Yesterday I took a couple
pieces out to be used for stuffing for pork tenderloin.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/10/2012 10:48 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> I bought a loaf of Italian bread, one of those loafs they sell in a
> paper sack that isn't sealed. I had some plans for it but never
> followed through so tonight I made up some slices of french toast that
> included not just eggs and milk, but some egg nog, too. I froze the
> slices to cook up later, probably Christmas morning.

I think it would have a much better texture if you had frozen it after
cooking.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 22:07:48 -0700, gloria p >
wrote:

>On 12/10/2012 10:48 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>> I bought a loaf of Italian bread, one of those loafs they sell in a
>> paper sack that isn't sealed. I had some plans for it but never
>> followed through so tonight I made up some slices of french toast that
>> included not just eggs and milk, but some egg nog, too. I froze the
>> slices to cook up later, probably Christmas morning.

>I think it would have a much better texture if you had frozen it after
>cooking.

Absolutely... freezing raw french toast when thawed it'll be like it's
partially digested and puked up. Cook french toast before freezing,
they sell frozen french toast that's heated from frozen in a toaster.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAH-9...endscreen&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNugEymrUAU
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/12/2012 12:07 AM, gloria p wrote:
> On 12/10/2012 10:48 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>> I bought a loaf of Italian bread, one of those loafs they sell in a
>> paper sack that isn't sealed. I had some plans for it but never
>> followed through so tonight I made up some slices of french toast that
>> included not just eggs and milk, but some egg nog, too. I froze the
>> slices to cook up later, probably Christmas morning.

> I think it would have a much better texture if you had frozen it after
> cooking.

I thought of that after they were frozen on the cookie sheet and I was
transferring to a ziplock bag. But I figure if I put them frozen onto a
hot pan, they will thaw by the time the first side is cooked. We'll
see.