Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Wedding registries for expensive gifts.

Thinking of impractical, never-used, and expensive wishlists: When
good friends of mine got married, in the pre-Internet era, I had
barely heard of registries. He wanted solid copper pots, while she was
content with these heavy orange pots and pans that I later realized
were LeCreuset.

I gave them an envelope full of cash according to the way of my
people.

When they split up, some eight years later, she kept the LeCreuset,
while he hung on to the solid copper. By now, he has had to have them
retinned twice.

The only time he cooks is when he entertains, so the pots see little
use these days.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 04/12/2012 3:20 PM, spamtrap1888 wrote:
> Thinking of impractical, never-used, and expensive wishlists: When
> good friends of mine got married, in the pre-Internet era, I had
> barely heard of registries. He wanted solid copper pots, while she was
> content with these heavy orange pots and pans that I later realized
> were LeCreuset.

It used to be that you registered your china, silverware and crystal
patterns so that people could buy pieces to augment your collection.
These days it has just got plain silly. Couples now come up with a wish
list of everything they could possible use, right down to make, model
and colour.

One thing I have noted from weddings I have attended over the past few
years is that the cheapest items on the list seem to be to bought by the
other guests. There have not been many family weddings lately, so these
were weddings of friends of our son.

> I gave them an envelope full of cash according to the way of my
> people.

I don't like giving cash and I don't like getting cash. I like gifts to
be something special, something that has some thought behind it,
something individual. Cash just gets lumped in with something else.

We have our 40th anniversary coming up this year and we still remember
who gave us those special gifts and think of them often. Some people
gave us cash, which we used to buy a nice area rug, a rug that we got
rid of about 25 years ago.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 4, 3:15*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 04/12/2012 3:20 PM, spamtrap1888 wrote:
>
> > Thinking of impractical, never-used, and expensive wishlists: When
> > good friends of mine got married, in the pre-Internet era, I had
> > barely heard of registries. He wanted solid copper pots, while she was
> > content with these heavy orange pots and pans that I later realized
> > were LeCreuset.

> It used to be that you registered your china, silverware and crystal
> patterns so that people could buy pieces to augment your collection.
> These days it has just got plain silly. Couples now come up with a wish
> list of everything they could possible use, right down to make, model
> and colour.
>
> One thing I have noted from weddings I have attended over the past few
> years is that the cheapest items on the list seem to be to bought by the
> other guests. There have not been many family weddings lately, so these
> were weddings of friends of our son.
>
> > I gave them an envelope full of cash according to the way of my
> > people.

> I don't like giving cash and I don't like getting cash. I like gifts to
> be something special, something that has some thought behind it,
> something individual. Cash just gets lumped in with something else.
>
> We have our 40th anniversary coming up this year and we still remember
> who gave us those special gifts and think of them often. Some people
> gave us cash, which we used to buy a nice area rug, a rug that we got
> rid of about 25 years ago.

I'd take cash any day. The first time I got married we got so much
crap that it was a pain in the ass to return 4 toasters, etc.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/4/2012 6:15 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 04/12/2012 3:20 PM, spamtrap1888 wrote:
>> Thinking of impractical, never-used, and expensive wishlists: When
>> good friends of mine got married, in the pre-Internet era, I had
>> barely heard of registries. He wanted solid copper pots, while she was
>> content with these heavy orange pots and pans that I later realized
>> were LeCreuset.

>> I gave them an envelope full of cash according to the way of my
>> people.

> I don't like giving cash and I don't like getting cash. I like gifts to
> be something special, something that has some thought behind it,
> something individual. Cash just gets lumped in with something else.

I didn't register for anything, it never occurred to me to do so. While
I appreciate the sentiment of personally chosen gifts, I wound up with
things like electric can openers and toasters. You can't tell me any
thought went into those gifts. I'd have rather been given cash so we
could buy what we needed.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
spamtrap1888 > wrote:

> Thinking of impractical, never-used, and expensive wishlists: When
> good friends of mine got married, in the pre-Internet era, I had
> barely heard of registries. He wanted solid copper pots, while she was
> content with these heavy orange pots and pans that I later realized
> were LeCreuset.
>
> I gave them an envelope full of cash according to the way of my
> people.
>
> When they split up, some eight years later, she kept the LeCreuset,
> while he hung on to the solid copper. By now, he has had to have them
> retinned twice.
>
> The only time he cooks is when he entertains, so the pots see little
> use these days.

What's your question?
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of August 20, 2012

Posted to rec.food.cooking

It's all a big racket. A pair of individuals want to make it legal, so everyone should fully supply their household? Baloney. Most have lived together for some time, so there really IS nothing they lack.

Keurig seems to be one of the big wants now. I started with a cheapie Westbend elec. perc. and graduated to a stovetop Pyrex.

There are even honeymoom registries of sorts - sure, so they can go to Tahiti on my dime? No way.

I give money for a wedding gift now - I'm not into messing with registries, getting things shipped etc. Hell, you barely get a decent thank you and even that takes about a year. Don't get me going on what weddings and marriage have become.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 05/12/2012 12:24 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> I didn't register for anything, it never occurred to me to do so. While
> I appreciate the sentiment of personally chosen gifts, I wound up with
> things like electric can openers and toasters. You can't tell me any
> thought went into those gifts. I'd have rather been given cash so we
> could buy what we needed.

That is the sort of stuff that we got as shower gifts.
We got a enough place settings of our good china and flatware for
complete sets, also enough for a complete set of our Fransican everyday
dishes. One of the nicest gifts was military chest that was made by a
friend of my father in law. They guy was a furniture maker and hand made
it for us himself.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 07/12/2012 12:42 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> It's all a big racket. A pair of individuals want to make it legal,
> so everyone should fully supply their household? Baloney. Most have
> lived together for some time, so there really IS nothing they lack.
>
> Keurig seems to be one of the big wants now. I started with a
> cheapie Westbend elec. perc. and graduated to a stovetop Pyrex.
>
> There are even honeymoom registries of sorts - sure, so they can go
> to Tahiti on my dime? No way.
>
> I give money for a wedding gift now - I'm not into messing with
> registries, getting things shipped etc. Hell, you barely get a decent
> thank you and even that takes about a year. Don't get me going on
> what weddings and marriage have become.

Yeah ...... like destination weddings. My brother had a friend who was
upset with him because they would not go on a wedding cruise for the
friend's son. It is bad enough that people are throwing lavish weddings
for their kids,like $150 per plate and up and the expectation is for a
present worth at least as much as the meals. Give me a break. Expecting
someone to take a week or more of vacation and thousands of dollars on a
cruise and airfare????? No way. It might be a cheap wedding for a
couple if their parents want to chip in and also pay their own way,
maybe even for some of their kids.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 7, 9:31*am, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> *spamtrap1888 > wrote:
> > Thinking of impractical, never-used, and expensive wishlists: When
> > good friends of mine got married, in the pre-Internet era, I had
> > barely heard of registries. He wanted solid copper pots, while she was
> > content with these heavy orange pots and pans that I later realized
> > were LeCreuset.

> > I gave them an envelope full of cash according to the way of my
> > people.

> > When they split up, some eight years later, she kept the LeCreuset,
> > while he hung on to the solid copper. By now, he has had to have them
> > retinned twice.

> > The only time he cooks is when he entertains, so the pots see little
> > use these days.

> What's your question?

What's your experience along those lines?

This was topic drift in another thread.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 07 Dec 2012 13:22:57 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> Yeah ...... like destination weddings. My brother had a friend who was
> upset with him because they would not go on a wedding cruise for the
> friend's son.

Really? That's hard to believe. From what I've heard, destination
weddings are an easy way to limit the guest list. Of course, they act
disappointed that you "can't make it" to their wedding in Timbuktu,
but in reality they're jumping up & down, cheering that there will be
one less person in attendance.

> It is bad enough that people are throwing lavish weddings
> for their kids,like $150 per plate and up and the expectation is for a
> present worth at least as much as the meals. Give me a break. Expecting
> someone to take a week or more of vacation and thousands of dollars on a
> cruise and airfare????? No way. It might be a cheap wedding for a
> couple if their parents want to chip in and also pay their own way,
> maybe even for some of their kids.

The intent is that only very close friends and immediate family will
want to attend and not very many of them either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 07/12/2012 1:41 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Dec 2012 13:22:57 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>

>> Yeah ...... like destination weddings. My brother had a friend who was
>> upset with him because they would not go on a wedding cruise for the
>> friend's son.

> Really? That's hard to believe. From what I've heard, destination
> weddings are an easy way to limit the guest list. Of course, they act
> disappointed that you "can't make it" to their wedding in Timbuktu,
> but in reality they're jumping up & down, cheering that there will be
> one less person in attendance.

He wasn't offering to pay for my brother and his wife. They would have
had to book vacation time and get themselves back and forth to Florida
and pay their own way on the cruise.

>> It is bad enough that people are throwing lavish weddings
>> for their kids,like $150 per plate and up and the expectation is for a
>> present worth at least as much as the meals. Give me a break. Expecting
>> someone to take a week or more of vacation and thousands of dollars on a
>> cruise and airfare????? No way. It might be a cheap wedding for a
>> couple if their parents want to chip in and also pay their own way,
>> maybe even for some of their kids.

> The intent is that only very close friends and immediate family will
> want to attend and not very many of them either.

Hell. They don't have to go to all that effort. My brother and his wife
eloped to Jamaica to get married. They didn't have any guests at all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/7/2012 2:38 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> Hell. They don't have to go to all that effort. My brother and his wife
> eloped to Jamaica to get married. They didn't have any guests at all.

Becca and I did the same thing. Everybody had their own ideas on
how/when/where we should get married. We couldn't please everyone and
we did NOT want a big wedding, so we booked a wedding package at an
all-inclusive resort in Jamaica and we only told close family members
shortly before we left. The resort handled all the details (license,
minister, cake, flowers, etc).

It was beautiful.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 07 Dec 2012 15:38:48 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 07/12/2012 1:41 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Fri, 07 Dec 2012 13:22:57 -0500, Dave Smith
> > > wrote:
> >

> >> Yeah ...... like destination weddings. My brother had a friend who was
> >> upset with him because they would not go on a wedding cruise for the
> >> friend's son.

> > Really? That's hard to believe. From what I've heard, destination
> > weddings are an easy way to limit the guest list. Of course, they act
> > disappointed that you "can't make it" to their wedding in Timbuktu,
> > but in reality they're jumping up & down, cheering that there will be
> > one less person in attendance.

> He wasn't offering to pay for my brother and his wife. They would have
> had to book vacation time and get themselves back and forth to Florida
> and pay their own way on the cruise.

That's the whole point. If he really, really, really wanted your
brother and his wife to attend - he would have paid their way.

> >> It is bad enough that people are throwing lavish weddings
> >> for their kids,like $150 per plate and up and the expectation is for a
> >> present worth at least as much as the meals. Give me a break. Expecting
> >> someone to take a week or more of vacation and thousands of dollars on a
> >> cruise and airfare????? No way. It might be a cheap wedding for a
> >> couple if their parents want to chip in and also pay their own way,
> >> maybe even for some of their kids.

> > The intent is that only very close friends and immediate family will
> > want to attend and not very many of them either.

> Hell. They don't have to go to all that effort. My brother and his wife
> eloped to Jamaica to get married. They didn't have any guests at all.

A destination wedding is the couple's way of keeping everybody happy.
Mom and Dad want to make a big production out of it and they want a
small wedding with just immediate family in attendance. So, those
invitees who want to take the time and spend the money to get there
are welcome and those who don't, can't say they weren't invited. The
fewer people they want, the more remote the destination is.
Personally, I like cruising - so if it was the child of one of my long
time friends, I'd go.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/7/2012 1:26 PM, spamtrap1888 wrote:
> On Dec 7, 9:31 am, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>> In article
>> >,
>>
>> spamtrap1888 > wrote:
>>> Thinking of impractical, never-used, and expensive wishlists: When
>>> good friends of mine got married, in the pre-Internet era, I had
>>> barely heard of registries. He wanted solid copper pots, while she was
>>> content with these heavy orange pots and pans that I later realized
>>> were LeCreuset.

>>> I gave them an envelope full of cash according to the way of my
>>> people.

>>> When they split up, some eight years later, she kept the LeCreuset,
>>> while he hung on to the solid copper. By now, he has had to have them
>>> retinned twice.

>>> The only time he cooks is when he entertains, so the pots see little
>>> use these days.

>> What's your question?

> What's your experience along those lines?

Giving gifts of jam?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 07 Dec 2012 14:58:08 -0600, George Leppla
> wrote:

> On 12/7/2012 2:38 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>
> > Hell. They don't have to go to all that effort. My brother and his wife
> > eloped to Jamaica to get married. They didn't have any guests at all.

> Becca and I did the same thing. Everybody had their own ideas on
> how/when/where we should get married. We couldn't please everyone and
> we did NOT want a big wedding, so we booked a wedding package at an
> all-inclusive resort in Jamaica and we only told close family members
> shortly before we left. The resort handled all the details (license,
> minister, cake, flowers, etc).
>
> It was beautiful.

I know it was your first marriage, but you did it "later in life", it
was Becca's second and you were both independent. I think of that
situation as being different than if you two were still in your
twenties and still trying to please your parents, even if you paid for
your own wedding. I know my DD certainly tried to please us in spite
of the fact that she paid for 75% of her very expensive wedding (the
dress alone was $2,000).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/7/2012 3:29 PM, sf wrote:
>> >Becca and I did the same thing. Everybody had their own ideas on
>> >how/when/where we should get married. We couldn't please everyone and
>> >we did NOT want a big wedding, so we booked a wedding package at an
>> >all-inclusive resort in Jamaica and we only told close family members
>> >shortly before we left. The resort handled all the details (license,
>> >minister, cake, flowers, etc).
>> >
>> >It was beautiful.
>> >

> I know it was your first marriage, but you did it "later in life", it
> was Becca's second and you were both independent. I think of that
> situation as being different than if you two were still in your
> twenties and still trying to please your parents, even if you paid for
> your own wedding. I know my DD certainly tried to please us in spite
> of the fact that she paid for 75% of her very expensive wedding (the
> dress alone was $2,000).

It is a second (and last) marriage for both of us.

Yep, getting married in your 50's is a lot different than if you are in
your 20's. But weddings are for the people who are getting married....
not the families or friends. I put together a fair number of groups for
people who want to get married on a cruise ship. My first and only
advice to them about the wedding is to do it the way that feels best to
them. The others will follow along... or not. You can go crazy trying
to please everyone.... thus the transformation of a normally sane person
into "Bridezilla!".

We will be on a cruise next week to celebrate our anniversary. We
usually cruise with groups of people, but we try to get away at least
once a year by ourselves.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 07/12/2012 3:58 PM, George Leppla wrote:
> On 12/7/2012 2:38 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> Hell. They don't have to go to all that effort. My brother and his wife
>> eloped to Jamaica to get married. They didn't have any guests at all.

> Becca and I did the same thing. Everybody had their own ideas on
> how/when/where we should get married. We couldn't please everyone and
> we did NOT want a big wedding, so we booked a wedding package at an
> all-inclusive resort in Jamaica and we only told close family members
> shortly before we left. The resort handled all the details (license,
> minister, cake, flowers, etc).
>
> It was beautiful.

That's the way to do it. If you are going to elope, take off,.. just the
two of you. Don't expect everyone else to take at leas a week of
vacation time and spend thousands of dollars to attend. Just make
arrangements for the two of you to take off and include the ceremony in
your honeymoon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/7/2012 3:29 PM, sf wrote:

> I know it was your first marriage, but you did it "later in life", it
> was Becca's second and you were both independent. I think of that
> situation as being different than if you two were still in your
> twenties and still trying to please your parents, even if you paid for
> your own wedding. I know my DD certainly tried to please us in spite
> of the fact that she paid for 75% of her very expensive wedding (the
> dress alone was $2,000).

My firstborn is getting married in March, and they have not chosen a
color scheme, flowers, music, photographer, the cake. They found the
place where they want the reception, and including the food, beer, wine
and drinks, it will be around $100 per person. They have 80 people on
the guest list and they asked us if there was anyone we wanted to
invite. To be honest, I thought 80 people would be enough. George and I
visited the place and it looks nice.

We went to their house for Thanksgiving. They both sold their houses,
then bought this one. The house is huge, with high ceilings, and they
only have one picture hanging on the wall, the place looks colorless and
empty. They need help.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 07 Dec 2012 17:52:50 -0600, Ema Nymton >
wrote:

> My firstborn is getting married in March,

Congratulations! Maybe you'll have a grandbaby to spoil in another
year or two.

> and they have not chosen a
> color scheme, flowers, music, photographer, the cake. They found the
> place where they want the reception, and including the food, beer, wine
> and drinks, it will be around $100 per person.

The good news is that if their friends don't have leads for them, the
place where they plan to have their reception probably has a binder
with names of people and companies in every category.

> They have 80 people on
> the guest list and they asked us if there was anyone we wanted to
> invite. To be honest, I thought 80 people would be enough. George and I
> visited the place and it looks nice.

Agreed, 100 max... but it was very nice of them to ask you if there
was anyone you wanted to include!

> We went to their house for Thanksgiving. They both sold their houses,
> then bought this one. The house is huge, with high ceilings, and they
> only have one picture hanging on the wall, the place looks colorless and
> empty. They need help.

Yeow, sounds like it! Some people just can't decorate. I've been in
too many sterile homes to think otherwise. The good news is that many
department stores, like Macy's, have in-house decorators - so if they
have plenty of money but no decorating self-confidence, department
stores are there to help.

We've never had a problem with decorating the walls because both of us
love art. We started off with mass produced art and upgraded over the
years to one of a kind paintings, mainly by contemporary artists - but
one in particular is quite old and valuable.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/7/2012 4:52 PM, Ema Nymton wrote:

> My firstborn is getting married in March, and they have not chosen a
> color scheme, flowers, music, photographer, the cake. They found the
> place where they want the reception, and including the food, beer, wine
> and drinks, it will be around $100 per person. They have 80 people on
> the guest list and they asked us if there was anyone we wanted to
> invite. To be honest, I thought 80 people would be enough. George and I
> visited the place and it looks nice.
>
> We went to their house for Thanksgiving. They both sold their houses,
> then bought this one. The house is huge, with high ceilings, and they
> only have one picture hanging on the wall, the place looks colorless and
> empty. They need help.
>
> Becca

Did any of us start marriage (or expect to start) with a huge, fully
furnished and decorated house? Or all the kitchen stuff we'd accumulate
over the years?

When you get married you have the rest of your life to furnish and
collect household stuff. I think we have all taught our children to
expect too much and expect it Right Now. That's unfortunate and yes,
I am guilty too.

It's so hard to buy gifts for the younger generation because there's so
little they want or need. When they want it, they go out and buy it
immediately or go online and expect next-day delivery.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> On 12/7/2012 1:26 PM, spamtrap1888 wrote:
>> On Dec 7, 9:31 am, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>>> In article

>>> What's your question?

>> What's your experience along those lines?
>>

> Giving gifts of jam?
>
> Jill

Since most marriages fail, WGAS?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 7, 3:52*pm, Ema Nymton > wrote:
> On 12/7/2012 3:29 PM, sf wrote:
>
> > I know it was your first marriage, but you did it "later in life", it
> > was Becca's second and you were both independent. *I think of that
> > situation as being different than if you two were still in your
> > twenties and still trying to please your parents, even if you paid for
> > your own wedding. *I know my DD certainly tried to please us in spite
> > of the fact that she paid for 75% of her very expensive wedding (the
> > dress alone was $2,000).

> My firstborn is getting married in March, and they have not chosen a
> color scheme, flowers, music, photographer, the cake. They found the
> place where they want the reception, and including the food, beer, wine
> and drinks, it will be around $100 per person. They have 80 people on
> the guest list and they asked us if there was anyone we wanted to
> invite. To be honest, I thought 80 people would be enough. *George and I
> visited the place and it looks nice.
>
> We went to their house for Thanksgiving. They both sold their houses,
> then bought this one. *The house is huge, with high ceilings, and they
> only have one picture hanging on the wall, the place looks colorless and
> empty. They need help.

Hopefully they have many years ahead to acquire art that suits both
their tastes. They will travel, they will go to exhibitions, things
will grab them, and they will take them home.

If you just acquire things to have things, after a point, they will
weigh you down.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 7, 4:49*pm, gloria p > wrote:

> It's so hard to buy gifts for the younger generation because there's so
> little they want or need. *When they want it, they go out and buy it
> immediately or go online and expect next-day delivery.

That was the problem I had buying presents for the older generation,
specifically my dad. If he needed or wanted something, he would just
go out and buy it. Things he didn't need or see an immediate use for,
he didn't want.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 7 Dec 2012 22:05:25 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
> wrote:

>On Dec 7, 4:49*pm, gloria p > wrote:
>

>> It's so hard to buy gifts for the younger generation because there's so
>> little they want or need. *When they want it, they go out and buy it
>> immediately or go online and expect next-day delivery.

>That was the problem I had buying presents for the older generation,
>specifically my dad. If he needed or wanted something, he would just
>go out and buy it. Things he didn't need or see an immediate use for,
>he didn't want.

Used to be easy finding a gift for each other. We now fall into that
category. Neither of us needs anything and we have every wanted
appliance, tool, toy, decoration, and whatever.

Only thing I want more of is enjoying time together. I hope it never
ends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 8, 6:52*am, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Dec 2012 22:05:25 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
>
> > wrote:
> >On Dec 7, 4:49 pm, gloria p > wrote:

> >> It's so hard to buy gifts for the younger generation because there's so
> >> little they want or need. When they want it, they go out and buy it
> >> immediately or go online and expect next-day delivery.

> >That was the problem I had buying presents for the older generation,
> >specifically my dad. If he needed or wanted something, he would just
> >go out and buy it. Things he didn't need or see an immediate use for,
> >he didn't want.

> Used to be easy finding a gift for each other. *We now fall into that
> category. *Neither of us needs anything and we have every wanted
> appliance, tool, toy, decoration, and whatever.
>
> Only thing I want more of is enjoying time together. *I hope it never
> ends.

My wife is going to be strolling in style after Christmas. She walks
to work almost every day, and on the first not too cold day, she can
wear her pink leather jacket with these new accessories:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008VQ1W0M
Amazon had it on Lightning Deal for $15.99.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/8/2012 1:05 AM, spamtrap1888 wrote:
> On Dec 7, 4:49 pm, gloria p > wrote:
>

>> It's so hard to buy gifts for the younger generation because there's so
>> little they want or need. When they want it, they go out and buy it
>> immediately or go online and expect next-day delivery.

> That was the problem I had buying presents for the older generation,
> specifically my dad. If he needed or wanted something, he would just
> go out and buy it. Things he didn't need or see an immediate use for,
> he didn't want.

My dad was the same way. If he wanted something he bought it... usually
right before his birthday.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Dec 2012 22:05:25 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
> > wrote:
>
> >On Dec 7, 4:49 pm, gloria p > wrote:
> >

> >> It's so hard to buy gifts for the younger generation because there's so
> >> little they want or need. When they want it, they go out and buy it
> >> immediately or go online and expect next-day delivery.

> >That was the problem I had buying presents for the older generation,
> >specifically my dad. If he needed or wanted something, he would just
> >go out and buy it. Things he didn't need or see an immediate use for,
> >he didn't want.

> Used to be easy finding a gift for each other. We now fall into that
> category. Neither of us needs anything and we have every wanted
> appliance, tool, toy, decoration, and whatever.
>
> Only thing I want more of is enjoying time together. I hope it never
> ends.

And that's the very best gift you can give each other - love and cherish
every single day "until death do us part."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 08/12/2012 9:04 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> My dad was the same way. If he wanted something he bought it... usually
> right before his birthday.

I usually buy my own presents. I had to this year because I am the one
with the license to do it. My wife agreed with suggestion for red neck
Christmas. I got a little carried away and got a Glock 34.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> On 08/12/2012 9:04 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>

> > My dad was the same way. If he wanted something he bought it... usually
> > right before his birthday.

> I usually buy my own presents. I had to this year because I am the one
> with the license to do it. My wife agreed with suggestion for red neck
> Christmas. I got a little carried away and got a Glock 34.

note to self: Be nice to Dave Smith from now on.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-12-08, Dave Smith > wrote:

> I usually buy my own presents.

Cuts waaay down on returns!

> I got a little carried away and got a Glock 34.

Canadians are allowed guns!!?? Who knew.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/8/2012 7:52 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Used to be easy finding a gift for each other. We now fall into that
> category. Neither of us needs anything and we have every wanted
> appliance, tool, toy, decoration, and whatever.

This is the first year we're calling an end to the madness. No gifts.
It's been very relaxing and I can think of better things to do with
money than buying stuff we don't need or want.

> Only thing I want more of is enjoying time together. I hope it never
> ends.

That's a lovely sentiment.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/7/2012 6:42 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 07/12/2012 3:58 PM, George Leppla wrote:
>> On 12/7/2012 2:38 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>>> Hell. They don't have to go to all that effort. My brother and his wife
>>> eloped to Jamaica to get married. They didn't have any guests at all.

>> Becca and I did the same thing. Everybody had their own ideas on
>> how/when/where we should get married. We couldn't please everyone and
>> we did NOT want a big wedding, so we booked a wedding package at an
>> all-inclusive resort in Jamaica and we only told close family members
>> shortly before we left. The resort handled all the details (license,
>> minister, cake, flowers, etc).
>>
>> It was beautiful.
>>

> That's the way to do it. If you are going to elope, take off,.. just the
> two of you. Don't expect everyone else to take at leas a week of
> vacation time and spend thousands of dollars to attend. Just make
> arrangements for the two of you to take off and include the ceremony in
> your honeymoon.

A very good friend of mine did just that. They didn't make a secret
they were getting married so it wasn't an elopement, per se. But they
did fly off to the Bahamas to get married. Just the two of them. She
said it was much easier than trying to please everyone on both sides of
the family. No bridal shower, no wedding registry.

I *did* give her one of those recipe holder notebooks with the plastic
sleeves for recipe cards. I filled it with handwritten cards for
(mostly) silly things like "Barbequed Raccoon". She was a Southern
belle, born and raised in TN. He was from Boston. They got a kick out
of that wedding present

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 08/12/2012 9:41 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2012-12-08, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>> I usually buy my own presents.

> Cuts waaay down on returns!
>
>> I got a little carried away and got a Glock 34.

> Canadians are allowed guns!!?? Who knew.

Smart people.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-12-08, Dave Smith > wrote:

>> Canadians are allowed guns!!?? Who knew.

> Smart people.

I hope we don't hafta start viewing you folks as a potential threat!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/8/2012 10:20 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2012-12-08, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>>> Canadians are allowed guns!!?? Who knew.

>> Smart people.

> I hope we don't hafta start viewing you folks as a potential threat!
>

> nb

We tried (but failed) to take over at least part of Canada when we were
fighting the British in 1775. I say we should try to avoid such an
attempt again.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 05:17:14 -0800 (PST), Bryan
> wrote:

> My wife is going to be strolling in style after Christmas. She walks
> to work almost every day, and on the first not too cold day, she can
> wear her pink leather jacket with these new accessories:
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008VQ1W0M
> Amazon had it on Lightning Deal for $15.99.

Does she really have a *pink leather* jacket? My niece would love to
have one of those.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 08/12/2012 10:24 AM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> Smart people.

>> I hope we don't hafta start viewing you folks as a potential threat!
>>

>> nb
>>

> We tried (but failed) to take over at least part of Canada when we were
> fighting the British in 1775. I say we should try to avoid such an
> attempt again.

You also tried to take us over in the War of 1812. After the US Civil
War the US government support attempts by the Fenians to take over some
of Canada to establish an Irish homeland.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/8/2012 11:01 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 08/12/2012 10:24 AM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> I hope we don't hafta start viewing you folks as a potential threat!
>>>

>>> nb
>>>

>> We tried (but failed) to take over at least part of Canada when we were
>> fighting the British in 1775. I say we should try to avoid such an
>> attempt again.

> You also tried to take us over in the War of 1812. After the US Civil
> War the US government support attempts by the Fenians to take over some
> of Canada to establish an Irish homeland.

*That* I did not know. Then again, my information about Canada is very
limited. My Scottish grandparents emigrated to the US through Canada.
My mom and my brothers and I visited a great aunt in Niagara Falls. Had
my first taste of really good fish & chips served in a rolled uup
newspaper, drizzled with malt vinegar. Delicious!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 08/12/2012 11:13 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 12/8/2012 11:01 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> We tried (but failed) to take over at least part of Canada when we were
>>> fighting the British in 1775. I say we should try to avoid such an
>>> attempt again.

>> You also tried to take us over in the War of 1812. After the US Civil
>> War the US government support attempts by the Fenians to take over some
>> of Canada to establish an Irish homeland.
>>

> *That* I did not know. Then again, my information about Canada is very
> limited. My Scottish grandparents emigrated to the US through Canada.
> My mom and my brothers and I visited a great aunt in Niagara Falls. Had
> my first taste of really good fish & chips served in a rolled uup
> newspaper, drizzled with malt vinegar. Delicious!

My mother's Irish and German ancestors did the opposite, coming to
Canada from the US. My father in law came to Canada from the US.

I am just down the road from Niagara Falls. AAMOF, I was thinking of
scooting over to "the Falls" to do some shopping this afternoon. Too
rainy to go the actual falls.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 8, 2012 9:43:46 AM UTC-6, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 05:17:14 -0800 (PST), Bryan
>
> > wrote:
>

> > My wife is going to be strolling in style after Christmas. She walks

> > to work almost every day, and on the first not too cold day, she can

> > wear her pink leather jacket with these new accessories:

> > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008VQ1W0M

> > Amazon had it on Lightning Deal for $15.99.

> Does she really have a *pink leather* jacket? My niece would love to
>
> have one of those.

Yes. These are from her Facebook pics. They were taken in Fall of 2010.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36178182@N08/8254276243/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36178182@N08/8254284103/

--Bryan