Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Real food.

Deli,

Please watch till the end.....

Enjoy

http://vimeo.com/53381762

Dimitri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/29/2012 12:18 PM, Dimitri wrote:
> Deli,
>
> Please watch till the end.....
>
> Enjoy
>
> http://vimeo.com/53381762

Nice. I don't know how they missed Katz's Deli in NY.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-11-29 18:18:04 +0000, Dimitri said:

> Deli,
>
> Please watch till the end.....
>
> Enjoy
>
> http://vimeo.com/53381762

Plenty of good stuff. Thanks for that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-11-29 19:00:04 +0000, George Leppla said:

> On 11/29/2012 12:18 PM, Dimitri wrote:
>> Deli,
>>
>> Please watch till the end.....
>>
>> Enjoy
>>
>> http://vimeo.com/53381762

> Nice. I don't know how they missed Katz's Deli in NY.

I was delighted to find they had a couple from LA.

Maybe the folks at Katz didn't want the aggravation. Also, this
purports to be a "trailer" so maybe there will be something more
substantial later on.

While on the topic of mom and pop joints, "I Like Killing Flies" isn't
to be missed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 13:00:04 -0600, George Leppla
> wrote:

>On 11/29/2012 12:18 PM, Dimitri wrote:
>> Deli,
>>
>> Please watch till the end.....
>>
>> Enjoy
>>
>> http://vimeo.com/53381762

>Nice. I don't know how they missed Katz's Deli in NY.

Easy, Katz's Deli is not kosher.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/29/2012 3:19 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 13:00:04 -0600, George Leppla
> > wrote:
>
>> On 11/29/2012 12:18 PM, Dimitri wrote:
>>> Deli,
>>>
>>> Please watch till the end.....
>>>
>>> Enjoy
>>>
>>> http://vimeo.com/53381762

>> Nice. I don't know how they missed Katz's Deli in NY.

> Easy, Katz's Deli is not kosher.

Neither are the Stage Deli, Canters, Langers and especially Kenny and
Ziggies.

And most of the others. True Kosher delis are few and far between.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-11-29 21:36:35 +0000, George Leppla said:

>>> Nice. I don't know how they missed Katz's Deli in NY.

>> Easy, Katz's Deli is not kosher.

> Neither are the Stage Deli, Canters, Langers and especially Kenny and Ziggies.

There's Kosher, Non-Kosher and Especially Non-Kosher? Is there XTreme
Non-Kosher or Severe Kosher as well.

> And most of the others. True Kosher delis are few and far between.

What are the markers for "true" in Kosher deli's?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/29/12 4:36 PM, George Leppla wrote:

> Neither are the Stage Deli, Canters, Langers and especially Kenny and
> Ziggies.
>
> And most of the others. True Kosher delis are few and far between.
>
> George L

Stage Door Deli does one hellfa good breakfast!! The fresh squeezed
orange juice was pure wonderful sunshine. The way they could move a line
of customers through at 0730 in the morning was brilliant!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/29/2012 11:18 AM, Dimitri wrote:
> Deli,
>
> Please watch till the end.....
>
> Enjoy
>
> http://vimeo.com/53381762
>
> Dimitri

Loved it. I wish Margaret still read rfc.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/29/2012 5:05 PM, gtr wrote:

>>> Easy, Katz's Deli is not kosher.

>> Neither are the Stage Deli, Canters, Langers and especially Kenny and
>> Ziggies.

> There's Kosher, Non-Kosher and Especially Non-Kosher? Is there XTreme
> Non-Kosher or Severe Kosher as well.
>
>> And most of the others. True Kosher delis are few and far between.

> What are the markers for "true" in Kosher deli's?

Among other things: a
All the food they sell is certified Kosher
They don't sell ham or any other pork product.
They don't sell shellfish of any kind.
They have separate dairy and meat meals and never mix the two.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in :

> Deli,
>
> Please watch till the end.....
>
> Enjoy
>
> http://vimeo.com/53381762
>

> Dimitri

Well, time for a pilgrimage to Brookline (MA)...

Anyone remember Hector's in NYC...?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/29/2012 6:05 PM, gtr wrote:

>>> Easy, Katz's Deli is not kosher.

>> Neither are the Stage Deli, Canters, Langers and especially Kenny and Ziggies.

> There's Kosher, Non-Kosher and Especially Non-Kosher? Is there XTreme
> Non-Kosher or Severe Kosher as well.

Kosher... everything is Kosher according to Jewish rules.

Non-Kosher... same type of food but made without kosher certification.

Places like Kenny and Ziggies don't even bother to pretend. You will
find sandwiches with meat and cheese, pork products, etc. Kenny and
Ziggies sells ham and cheese sandwiches... Extremely Non-Kosher.

> What are the markers for "true" in Kosher deli's?

Sheldon could probably explain it much better than I, but here is a
quick rundown on what makes something Kosher:
http://www.koshercertification.org.uk/whatdoe.html

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-11-30 03:22:06 +0000, gloria p said:

>>> Neither are the Stage Deli, Canters, Langers and especially Kenny and
>>> Ziggies.

>> There's Kosher, Non-Kosher and Especially Non-Kosher? Is there XTreme
>> Non-Kosher or Severe Kosher as well.
>>
>>> And most of the others. True Kosher delis are few and far between.

>> What are the markers for "true" in Kosher deli's?

> Among other things: a
> All the food they sell is certified Kosher
> They don't sell ham or any other pork product.
> They don't sell shellfish of any kind.
> They have separate dairy and meat meals and never mix the two.

That's a Kosher deli. My quesion was, what's the difference between a
"true" Kosher deli and a Kosher deli.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-11-30 13:00:42 +0000, George Leppla said:

>>> Neither are the Stage Deli, Canters, Langers and especially Kenny and Ziggies.

>> There's Kosher, Non-Kosher and Especially Non-Kosher? Is there XTreme
>> Non-Kosher or Severe Kosher as well.

> Kosher... everything is Kosher according to Jewish rules.
>
> Non-Kosher... same type of food but made without kosher certification.
>
> Places like Kenny and Ziggies don't even bother to pretend. You will
> find sandwiches with meat and cheese, pork products, etc. Kenny and
> Ziggies sells ham and cheese sandwiches... Extremely Non-Kosher.
>
>> What are the markers for "true" in Kosher deli's?

> Sheldon could probably explain it much better than I, but here is a
> quick rundown on what makes something Kosher:
> http://www.koshercertification.org.uk/whatdoe.html

Okay. Just wanted to clarify there is a Kosher deli and there is
non-Kosher deli's and the extremely, partially, "true" and all the
others are just riffs and a binary thing: Is or is not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/30/2012 9:36 AM, gtr wrote:

> Okay. Just wanted to clarify there is a Kosher deli and there is
> non-Kosher deli's and the extremely, partially, "true" and all the
> others are just riffs and a binary thing: Is or is not.

Must be tough having to have everything spelled out in black and white.
I can't imagine having reading comprehension that is so rigid and
precise that you can't infer or understand shades of gray... or being so
uptight that you need to have casual variations explained for you.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-11-30 15:51:05 +0000, George Leppla said:

> On 11/30/2012 9:36 AM, gtr wrote:
>
>> Okay. Just wanted to clarify there is a Kosher deli and there is
>> non-Kosher deli's and the extremely, partially, "true" and all the
>> others are just riffs and a binary thing: Is or is not.

> Must be tough having to have everything spelled out in black and white.

Must be difficult to have questions become a personal affront.

Black and white isn't "tough", it's just an attempt to get valid
information. "Gray" in this context is called "vague", and so is the
phrase "True Kosher" when compared to "regular Kosher", so provides
nothing.

> I can't imagine having reading comprehension that is so rigid and
> precise that you can't infer or understand shades of gray...

"Imagination" doesn't help when you're asking for specific information.
There are no shades of gray in "Kosher". It is or it is not. Like
vegetarian. It is vegetarian or not. "peanut free" or not. On the
other hand "reduced sodium" or "low fat" is a matter of gradation.
Judaism itself comes in various types, so it might make sense that
Kosher would come in various types to relate to Ashkenazi v. Sephardic
for example. Since I can't verify (aka "black and white") I'll
concluding that Kosher is universal to all.

> ...or being so uptight that you need to have casual variations
> explained for you.

Your personal insults are noted, though not your rationale. Duly disregarded.

I'm concluding there is no "casual variation". It is either Kosher or
it isn't. A tiny bit of cheese on your hamburger doesn't make it a
"little less Kosher". It makes it treif.

Some are more observant that others; some friends have accepted one
thing (crab for instance) but not others (pork). But I'm concluding
that those that now eat shellfish don't consider it it "Kosher" while
those that eat neither consider that "true Kosher".

Well.That's enough of that. If there is any more authoritative info
that doesn't intersect my personal failings I'm still interested in
hearing it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 20:22:06 -0700, gloria p >
wrote:

>>> Neither are the Stage Deli, Canters, Langers and especially Kenny and
>>> Ziggies.

>> There's Kosher, Non-Kosher and Especially Non-Kosher? Is there XTreme
>> Non-Kosher or Severe Kosher as well.
>>
>>> And most of the others. True Kosher delis are few and far between.

>> What are the markers for "true" in Kosher deli's?
>>

>Among other things: a
>All the food they sell is certified Kosher
>They don't sell ham or any other pork product.
>They don't sell shellfish of any kind.
>They have separate dairy and meat meals and never mix the two.

A kosher deli serves no dairy, there is no dairy on the premises.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr wrote:

> Black and white isn't "tough", it's just an attempt to get valid
> information. "Gray" in this context is called "vague", and so is the
> phrase "True Kosher" when compared to "regular Kosher", so provides
> nothing.

Speaking of vagaries, did anybody ever figure out what "legitimate
rape"is?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 07:35:04 -0800, gtr > wrote:

>On 2012-11-30 03:22:06 +0000, gloria p said:

>>> There's Kosher, Non-Kosher and Especially Non-Kosher? Is there XTreme
>>> Non-Kosher or Severe Kosher as well.

>>> What are the markers for "true" in Kosher deli's?

>> Among other things: a
>> All the food they sell is certified Kosher
>> They don't sell ham or any other pork product.
>> They don't sell shellfish of any kind.
>> They have separate dairy and meat meals and never mix the two.

>That's a Kosher deli. My quesion was, what's the difference between a
>"true" Kosher deli and a Kosher deli.

There is no "true" kosher deli, it's either kosher or it's not. The
delis that are mentioned here are not kosher, they are kosher style,
ie. they sell the same kinds of foods but they are not kosher foods,
they use non kosher ingredients nor are they prepared according to
kosher law, in other words their kitchens are not kosher.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 30, 2012 3:49:39 PM UTC-5, George M. Middius wrote:
> gtr wrote:
>

> > Black and white isn't "tough", it's just an attempt to get valid

> > information. "Gray" in this context is called "vague", and so is the

> > phrase "True Kosher" when compared to "regular Kosher", so provides

> > nothing.

> Speaking of vagaries, did anybody ever figure out what "legitimate
>
> rape"is?

If it involves a broom stick and your ass, not only is it legitimate, it's justified.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> There is no "true" kosher deli, it's either kosher or it's not. The
> delis that are mentioned here are not kosher, they are kosher style,
> ie. they sell the same kinds of foods but they are not kosher foods,
> they use non kosher ingredients nor are they prepared according to
> kosher law, in other words their kitchens are not kosher.

From what I've heard, Sheldon, true kosher is prepared in a certain way and
ALSO inspected and blessed by a Rabi. Is that correct?

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-11-30 23:01:04 +0000, Gary said:

> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> There is no "true" kosher deli, it's either kosher or it's not. The
>> delis that are mentioned here are not kosher, they are kosher style,
>> ie. they sell the same kinds of foods but they are not kosher foods,
>> they use non kosher ingredients nor are they prepared according to
>> kosher law, in other words their kitchens are not kosher.

> From what I've heard, Sheldon, true kosher is prepared in a certain way and
> ALSO inspected and blessed by a Rabi. Is that correct?

This will help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosher_foods

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On Friday, November 30, 2012 3:49:39 PM UTC-5, George M. Middius wrote:

>>> Black and white isn't "tough", it's just an attempt to get valid
>>> information. "Gray" in this context is called "vague", and so is the
>>> phrase "True Kosher" when compared to "regular Kosher", so provides
>>> nothing.

> Speaking of vagaries, did anybody ever figure out what "legitimate rape"is?

"Vagaries" is not related to vague.

Vagary: noun ( pl. vagaries ) (usu. vagaries)
an unexpected and inexplicable change in a situation or in someone's
behavior: the vagaries of the weather.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 18:01:04 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> There is no "true" kosher deli, it's either kosher or it's not. The
>> delis that are mentioned here are not kosher, they are kosher style,
>> ie. they sell the same kinds of foods but they are not kosher foods,
>> they use non kosher ingredients nor are they prepared according to
>> kosher law, in other words their kitchens are not kosher.

>From what I've heard, Sheldon, true kosher is prepared in a certain way and
>ALSO inspected and blessed by a Rabi. Is that correct?

I already told you that there is no such thing as "true kosher", it's
kosher or it's non kosher. There is no simple answer to your question
because kosher is not simple, all the rabbis there ever were have
argued the definition of kosher and do so still and always will. Only
thing else that I'll say is that there is "minimally" kosher, many who
keep kosher strive to keep more kosher than their relatives and
friends as if it were a competition... there is no end to kosherness,
how kosher one practices is infinite. I'm not going to type the
entire Five Books of Moses so I suggest you search <kosher>, the
gantseh megillah is on the net.
http://www.bubbygram.com/yiddishglossary.htm
Megillah: (like Magilla Gorilla) literally, the story of Esther, told
at Purim, which goes on and on and on. A long-winded story. "Just give
me the highlights. I don't need the gantzeh megillah." ("I don't need
the whole drawn out story.")
And it's written "Rabbi".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 11:00:40 -0800, gtr > wrote:

>I'm concluding there is no "casual variation". It is either Kosher or
>it isn't. A tiny bit of cheese on your hamburger doesn't make it a
>"little less Kosher". It makes it treif.
>
>Some are more observant that others; some friends have accepted one
>thing (crab for instance) but not others (pork). But I'm concluding
>that those that now eat shellfish don't consider it it "Kosher" while
>those that eat neither consider that "true Kosher".
>
>Well.That's enough of that. If there is any more authoritative info
>that doesn't intersect my personal failings I'm still interested in
>hearing it.

Sort of like being just a little pregnant? I have to agree, it is an
either/or.

From my little expertise though, it seems that some Jews make their
own little variations as to what is acceptable. Just as Catholics
have venial sins and mortal sins and the general population has little
white lies. You can interpret all sorts of variations if you want to.
In Israel though, you can buy "white meat" easily.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 30, 2012 3:01:04 PM UTC-8, Gary wrote:
> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>

> > There is no "true" kosher deli, it's either kosher or it's not. The

> > delis that are mentioned here are not kosher, they are kosher style,

> > ie. they sell the same kinds of foods but they are not kosher foods,

> > they use non kosher ingredients nor are they prepared according to

> > kosher law, in other words their kitchens are not kosher.

> From what I've heard, Sheldon, true kosher is prepared in a certain way and
>
> ALSO inspected and blessed by a Rabi. Is that correct?

No. If every time a Jew prepared a meal, he had to get it inspected and blessed by a Rabi, the economy would collapse.

There are few rules for preparing kosher food, the main being:

1. The raw ingredients must be Kosher to begin with.

2. You don't mix meat and dairy.

3. The meat must be cooked long enough to remove blood.

However, not keeping kosher myself, I may be missing a few rules.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 30, 2012 11:00:40 AM UTC-8, gtr wrote:
> On 2012-11-30 15:51:05 +0000, George Leppla said:
>

> > On 11/30/2012 9:36 AM, gtr wrote:

> >> Okay. Just wanted to clarify there is a Kosher deli and there is

> >> non-Kosher deli's and the extremely, partially, "true" and all the

> >> others are just riffs and a binary thing: Is or is not.

A particular food item - say, a package of hot dogs - is indeed binary: it is either Kosher or not-Kosher.

But a deli can carry both Kosher and not-Kosher items, as long as they are kept separately.

> > Must be tough having to have everything spelled out in black and white.

> Must be difficult to have questions become a personal affront.
>

> Black and white isn't "tough", it's just an attempt to get valid
>
> information. "Gray" in this context is called "vague", and so is the
>
> phrase "True Kosher" when compared to "regular Kosher", so provides
>
> nothing.

Why did you invent these phrases: "True Kosher" and "regular Kosher"? What do they mean to you?

Can we generalize your concept? Say, invent phrases like "true Italian pasta" vs. "regular Italian pasta"?

> > I can't imagine having reading comprehension that is so rigid and

> > precise that you can't infer or understand shades of gray...

> "Imagination" doesn't help when you're asking for specific information.
>
> There are no shades of gray in "Kosher". It is or it is not. Like
>
> vegetarian. It is vegetarian or not. "peanut free" or not. On the
>
> other hand "reduced sodium" or "low fat" is a matter of gradation.
>
> Judaism itself comes in various types, so it might make sense that
>
> Kosher would come in various types to relate to Ashkenazi v. Sephardic
>
> for example. Since I can't verify (aka "black and white") I'll
>
> concluding that Kosher is universal to all.
>

> > ...or being so uptight that you need to have casual variations

> > explained for you.

> Your personal insults are noted, though not your rationale. Duly disregarded.
>

> I'm concluding there is no "casual variation". It is either Kosher or
>
> it isn't. A tiny bit of cheese on your hamburger doesn't make it a
>
> "little less Kosher". It makes it treif.
>

> Some are more observant that others; some friends have accepted one
>
> thing (crab for instance) but not others (pork). But I'm concluding
>
> that those that now eat shellfish don't consider it it "Kosher" while
>
> those that eat neither consider that "true Kosher".

You are contradicting yourself. A particular piece of food is either Kosher or Not-Kosher. "True Kosher" is redundant. There is no such thing as "non-true Kosher food".

> Well.That's enough of that. If there is any more authoritative info
>
> that doesn't intersect my personal failings I'm still interested in
>
> hearing it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 30, 2012 12:49:39 PM UTC-8, George M. Middius wrote:
> gtr wrote:
>

> > Black and white isn't "tough", it's just an attempt to get valid

> > information. "Gray" in this context is called "vague", and so is the

> > phrase "True Kosher" when compared to "regular Kosher", so provides

> > nothing.

> Speaking of vagaries, did anybody ever figure out what "legitimate
>
> rape"is?

And what's the difference between True rape and Regular rape? :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 29, 2012 1:19:52 PM UTC-8, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 13:00:04 -0600, George Leppla
>
> > wrote:
>

> >On 11/29/2012 12:18 PM, Dimitri wrote:

> >> Deli,

> >> Please watch till the end.....

> >> Enjoy

> >> http://vimeo.com/53381762

> >Nice. I don't know how they missed Katz's Deli in NY.

> Easy, Katz's Deli is not kosher.

What do you mean by that? That if you keep strict Kosher, you can't buy anything at Katz's at all? Or that you can't buy certain items?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 30, 2012 5:00:42 AM UTC-8, George L wrote:

> >> Neither are the Stage Deli, Canters, Langers and especially Kenny and Ziggies.

> > There's Kosher, Non-Kosher and Especially Non-Kosher? Is there XTreme

> > Non-Kosher or Severe Kosher as well.

> Kosher... everything is Kosher according to Jewish rules.

Everything? Even lobster and pork?

> Non-Kosher... same type of food but made without kosher certification.

So, if my mom makes dill pickles, they are not kosher until she applies for certification? Does she need a separate certificate for each jar?

> Places like Kenny and Ziggies don't even bother to pretend. You will
>
> find sandwiches with meat and cheese, pork products, etc. Kenny and
>
> Ziggies sells ham and cheese sandwiches... Extremely Non-Kosher.
>

> > What are the markers for "true" in Kosher deli's?

> Sheldon could probably explain it much better than I, but here is a
>
> quick rundown on what makes something Kosher:
>
> http://www.koshercertification.org.uk/whatdoe.html
>

> George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 1 Dec 2012 00:34:25 -0800 (PST), wrote:

>On Thursday, November 29, 2012 1:19:52 PM UTC-8, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 13:00:04 -0600, George Leppla
>>
>> > wrote:

http://vimeo.com/53381762

>> >Nice. I don't know how they missed Katz's Deli in NY.

>> Easy, Katz's Deli is not kosher.

>What do you mean by that? That if you keep strict Kosher, you can't buy anything at Katz's at all? Or that you can't buy certain items?

I mean exactly what I said, Katz's Deli is not kosher nor does it
pretend to be. "Strict" kosher is gobbledygook for those who
want/need to stress that they are kosher, the "strict" means
absolutely nothing.

Who buys where is peoples choice, many Jews who claim to keep kosher
cheat. Just like I haven't found a vegetarian yet who doesn't cheat.
Many Jews in NYC rationalize that eating at a Chinese restaurant is an
approved exception, so long as it's distant from where any of their
neighbors live... and if caught then they can claim to eat there for
medicinal purposes which is permitted under Jewish dietary law. Hah!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/1/2012 1:00 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Who buys where is peoples choice, many Jews who claim to keep kosher
> cheat. Just like I haven't found a vegetarian yet who doesn't cheat.
> Many Jews in NYC rationalize that eating at a Chinese restaurant is an
> approved exception, so long as it's distant from where any of their
> neighbors live... and if caught then they can claim to eat there for
> medicinal purposes which is permitted under Jewish dietary law. Hah!

Here in the South, we have what are known as "50 mile Baptists". While
at home they neither drink not smoke and attend church every Sunday.
But once they get 50 miles from home, all that changes.

The casinos in Shreveport were full of 50 mile Baptists... a cigarette
dangling from their lips, a drink in one hand and the slot machine lever
in the other. <vbg>

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Real food. New York Bakery and Delicatessen, Kansas City

> Dimitri > wrote:
> Deli,

> Please watch till the end.....
>
> Enjoy
>
> http://vimeo.com/53381762

I've actually eaten in most of the deli's mentioned. We have been to
Kenny & Ziggies several times and it's really good. They "almost" have
the rye bread right.

We've found that outside of NYC area, the rye bread doesn't have the
chewy body and crisp crust we grew up with. The bread has to be dense
enough to stand up to the sandwich. We were at Kaplan's deli on the
Lower East Side several years ago and they did not have decent bread.
The waiter kvetched about not finding a bakery who could supply them.
They should try Shop Rite. Their rye bread is outstanding. I think
Pechter's, who made the best commercially baked rye is out of business now.

Anyway, thanks for the memories.
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/1/2012 4:56 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:

>> Dimitri > wrote:
>> Deli,

>> Please watch till the end.....
>>
>> Enjoy
>>
>> http://vimeo.com/53381762

> I've actually eaten in most of the deli's mentioned. We have been to
> Kenny & Ziggies several times and it's really good. They "almost" have
> the rye bread right.
>
> We've found that outside of NYC area, the rye bread doesn't have the
> chewy body and crisp crust we grew up with. The bread has to be dense
> enough to stand up to the sandwich. We were at Kaplan's deli on the
> Lower East Side several years ago and they did not have decent bread.
> The waiter kvetched about not finding a bakery who could supply them.
> They should try Shop Rite. Their rye bread is outstanding. I think
> Pechter's, who made the best commercially baked rye is out of business now.
>
> Anyway, thanks for the memories.

That should have been Katz's deli, not Kaplans. Got my K's mixed up.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 1, 2012 2:25:24 AM UTC-8, John J wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Dec 2012 00:17:19 -0800 (PST), wrote:

> >> From what I've heard, Sheldon, true kosher is prepared in a certain way and

> >> ALSO inspected and blessed by a Rabi. Is that correct?

> >No. If every time a Jew prepared a meal, he had to get it inspected and blessed by a Rabi, the economy would collapse.

> >There are few rules for preparing kosher food, the main being:

> >1. The raw ingredients must be Kosher to begin with.

> >2. You don't mix meat and dairy.

> >3. The meat must be cooked long enough to remove blood.

> >However, not keeping kosher myself, I may be missing a few rules.

> You can't be too careful when preparing for a trip through the desert.

The word "dessert" is spelled with 2 asses.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/1/2012 2:11 PM, George Leppla wrote:
> On 12/1/2012 1:00 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> Who buys where is peoples choice, many Jews who claim to keep kosher
>> cheat. Just like I haven't found a vegetarian yet who doesn't cheat.
>> Many Jews in NYC rationalize that eating at a Chinese restaurant is an
>> approved exception, so long as it's distant from where any of their
>> neighbors live... and if caught then they can claim to eat there for
>> medicinal purposes which is permitted under Jewish dietary law. Hah!

> Here in the South, we have what are known as "50 mile Baptists". While
> at home they neither drink not smoke and attend church every Sunday. But
> once they get 50 miles from home, all that changes.
>
> The casinos in Shreveport were full of 50 mile Baptists... a cigarette
> dangling from their lips, a drink in one hand and the slot machine lever
> in the other. <vbg>
>
> George L

Decades ago I had a friend who was a home economics teacher. She was
Catholic. The only teaching job she could find in the area was at a
private Baptist high school. Because she wasn't Baptist they made her
sign something stating she didn't drink and didn't *dance* because it
could be a bad influence on her students. What hypocrites! She ran
into the parents of her students all the time when she went to clubs.
And yes, they were boozing it up and (OMG, they're going to hell) dancing.

Jill