Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default whipped cream - how much sugar per cup of heavy cream?

How much sugar should be included per cup of heavy cream to make whipped
cream to cover a cake? I know how much cream to start with, but I'm
unsure of how much sugar per cup of a cream. Yeah, yeah, I can Google,
but then I'd have to sort through all sorts of unhelpful links. TIA.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Thursday, November 22, 2012 10:35:28 AM UTC-8, Sky wrote:

You should whip up some cream cheese in with the heavy cream and sugar else your frosting won't stand up for long.

here's a recipe that works well.

2 cups heavy cream
8 oz cream cheese - let soften
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla

If you have a KA or other stand mixer, use the whisk attachment. You can use a hand mixer as well.

whip the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla till fluffy and then add in the cream slowly till you get fairly stiff peaks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 22, 1:01*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> On Thursday, November 22, 2012 10:35:28 AM UTC-8, Sky wrote:
>
> You should whip up some cream cheese in with the heavy cream and sugar else your frosting won't stand up for long.
>
> here's a recipe that works well.
>
> 2 cups heavy cream
> 8 oz cream cheese - let soften
> 1/2 cup sugar
> 1 tsp vanilla
>
> If you have a KA or other stand mixer, use the whisk attachment. * You can use a hand mixer as well.
>
> whip the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla till fluffy and then add in the cream slowly till you get fairly stiff peaks.

I think that sounds delicious, but it will taste like cream cheese,
and many folks wouldn't want that. Here's instructions for using
gelatin:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/stabili...d-cream-icing/

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:

>How much sugar should be included per
> cup of heavy cream to make whipped
> cream to cover a cake? I know how
> much cream to start with, but I'm unsure
> of how much sugar per cup of a cream.
> Yeah, yeah, I can Google, but then I'd
> have to sort through all sorts of
> unhelpful links. TIA.

My rule of thumb, Sky, is to add 2 tbsp. powdered sugar and about 1 tsp.
vanilla to each cup of whipping cream, when it starts to thicken up, and
continue to whip till the consistency you want..don't turn it into
butter though. I find the powdered sugar is better than granulated,
as the cream tends to stay thick better with using powdered.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Thursday, November 22, 2012 11:12:41 AM UTC-8, Bryan wrote:

> I think that sounds delicious, but it will taste like cream cheese,
>
> and many folks wouldn't want that. Here's instructions for using
>
> gelatin:
>
> http://allrecipes.com/recipe/stabili...d-cream-icing/

True. I like the cream cheese flavor but if you don't want that you can always use my Chantilly Cream recipe.
It is quite stable and will keep it's form for quite a while.

http://hizzoners.com/recipes/cookies...hantilly-cream
> --Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:
> How much sugar should be included per cup of heavy cream to make whipped
> cream to cover a cake? I know how much cream to start with, but I'm
> unsure of how much sugar per cup of a cream. Yeah, yeah, I can Google,
> but then I'd have to sort through all sorts of unhelpful links. TIA.
>
> Sky

I frosted a cake once with whipped cream. I used a pint of heavy cream
and a cup of powdered sugar. (it was a big cake) Whip the cream first,
then add the sugar. When I added the sugar the whipped cream got stiff,
and it didn't weep like normal whipped cream, and the cake lasted for
several days so it had plenty of time for the frosting to fall apart. HTH.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-11-22, Sky > wrote:

> but then I'd have to sort through all sorts of unhelpful links. TIA.

1 C heavy cream
1-3 T powdered sugar

I now keep baker's (xtra fine) sugar in house.

You need to get a copy of Joy of Cooking, Sky!!

nb

--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2012-11-22, Sky > wrote:
>
>> but then I'd have to sort through all sorts of unhelpful links. TIA.

> 1 C heavy cream
> 1-3 T powdered sugar
>
> I now keep baker's (xtra fine) sugar in house.
>
> You need to get a copy of Joy of Cooking, Sky!!
>
> nb

Isn't she making whipped cream *frosting* rather than just normal
whipped cream?

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I have no clue. She said:

"How much sugar should be included per cup of heavy cream to make
whipped cream to cover a cake?"

I see "frosting" nowhere in that statement.

I also see no cream frosting (icing) in JoC. I wonder. I don't
recall the typical "grease whip" frosting we see today in store-bought
cakes when I was a kid and my JoC is an older version. Could it be
"grease-whip" is a late 20th century invention? I really don't know.

nb

--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/22/2012 2:18 PM, ImStillMags wrote:

> True. I like the cream cheese flavor but if you don't want that you can always use my Chantilly Cream recipe.
> It is quite stable and will keep it's form for quite a while.
>
> http://hizzoners.com/recipes/cookies...hantilly-cream

Thanks! Bookmarked. This looks just like what I'm looking for.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 11/22/2012 12:35 PM, Sky wrote:
> How much sugar should be included per cup of heavy cream to make whipped
> cream to cover a cake? I know how much cream to start with, but I'm
> unsure of how much sugar per cup of a cream. Yeah, yeah, I can Google,
> but then I'd have to sort through all sorts of unhelpful links. TIA.

Thanks, folks, for the helpful responses. I ended up using about a
1/2-cup of baker's fine sugar (and some vanilla) to whip 3-cups of heavy
cream that was used to cover the chocolate icebox cake. Next time, I'll
add a little less sugar since it ended up a bit too sweet.

Instead of using Bakers German Sweet Chocolate (40% cocoa), "Mosser
Rothe" premium dark chocolate from Aldi (70% cocoa) and 3 TBS of
raspberry syrup for the water were substituted, otherwise the recipe*
was unchanged. Hmm, the result wasn't the same, which was to be
expected I suppose. Rather than a 'fluffy' and light chocolate mousse
interior, the result was dense, more like a dark chocolate truffle.
Still quite tasty and delicious

So next time, perhaps increasing the number of whipped egg whites and a
little more whipped cream to separately fold into the melted dark
chocolate mixture might help to make the frozen mousse less dense (?)
next time. More experimentation for the future.

Sky

* http://www.recfoodcooking.com/sigs/S...ox%20Cake.html

or

http://tinyurl.com/2mxlc4

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:
> On Thursday, November 22, 2012 10:35:28 AM UTC-8, Sky wrote:
>

> You should whip up some cream cheese in with the heavy cream and sugar else your frosting won't stand up for long.
>
> here's a recipe that works well.
>
> 2 cups heavy cream
> 8 oz cream cheese - let soften
> 1/2 cup sugar
> 1 tsp vanilla
>
> If you have a KA or other stand mixer, use the whisk attachment. You can use a hand mixer as well.
>
> whip the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla till fluffy and then add in the cream slowly till you get fairly stiff peaks.

I'd rather see a noncheesy mascarpone in that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> Sky wrote:
>> How much sugar should be included per cup of heavy cream to make
>> whipped cream to cover a cake? I know how much cream to start with,
>> but I'm unsure of how much sugar per cup of a cream. Yeah, yeah, I
>> can Google, but then I'd have to sort through all sorts of unhelpful
>> links. TIA.
>>
>> Sky
>>

> I frosted a cake once with whipped cream. I used a pint of heavy cream
> and a cup of powdered sugar. (it was a big cake) Whip the cream first,
> then add the sugar. When I added the sugar the whipped cream got stiff,
> and it didn't weep like normal whipped cream, and the cake lasted for
> several days so it had plenty of time for the frosting to fall apart. HTH.
>
> Bob

For my pie, I always use 1 cup of cream and one big spoon of
powdered sugar. But I am looking for a very faint sweetness to
contrast with the pie, plus some stability. Frosting would be a
whole 'nother matter as far as level of sweetness goes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 21:11:23 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

>zxcvbob wrote:
>> Sky wrote:
>>> How much sugar should be included per cup of heavy cream to make
>>> whipped cream to cover a cake? I know how much cream to start with,
>>> but I'm unsure of how much sugar per cup of a cream. Yeah, yeah, I
>>> can Google, but then I'd have to sort through all sorts of unhelpful
>>> links. TIA.
>>>
>>> Sky
>>>

>> I frosted a cake once with whipped cream. I used a pint of heavy cream
>> and a cup of powdered sugar. (it was a big cake) Whip the cream first,
>> then add the sugar. When I added the sugar the whipped cream got stiff,
>> and it didn't weep like normal whipped cream, and the cake lasted for
>> several days so it had plenty of time for the frosting to fall apart. HTH.
>>
>> Bob

>For my pie, I always use 1 cup of cream and one big spoon of
>powdered sugar. But I am looking for a very faint sweetness to
>contrast with the pie, plus some stability. Frosting would be a
>whole 'nother matter as far as level of sweetness goes.

I rarely bother with whipped cream... for pie and cake I much prefer
vanilla ice cream.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote in
:

> On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 21:11:23 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>>zxcvbob wrote:

>>> I frosted a cake once with whipped cream. I used a pint of heavy
>>> cream and a cup of powdered sugar. (it was a big cake) Whip the
>>> cream first, then add the sugar. When I added the sugar the whipped
>>> cream got stiff, and it didn't weep like normal whipped cream, and
>>> the cake lasted for several days so it had plenty of time for the
>>> frosting to fall apart. HTH.
>>>
>>> Bob

>>For my pie, I always use 1 cup of cream and one big spoon of
>>powdered sugar. But I am looking for a very faint sweetness to
>>contrast with the pie, plus some stability. Frosting would be a
>>whole 'nother matter as far as level of sweetness goes.

> I rarely bother with whipped cream... for pie and cake I much prefer
> vanilla ice cream.

You're powdered sugar = our icing sugar...........

whenever I'm whipping/whisking up some cream for cakes, pikelets.
scones... whatever.... if I want to make it sweet, I just put a thin
layer of icing sugar over the cream before I whisk it. Taste it half way
through, and if not enough, add more.

--
Peter
Brisbane

To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one.
It is rather and endless struggle
that will go on to the very last moment of our lives.
Nobody is born a warrior,in exactly the same way that
nobody is born an average man.
We have to make ourselves into one or the other.
A warrior must only take care that his spirit is not broken.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Shouldn't wrote:

> I rarely bother with whipped cream... for pie and cake I much prefer
> vanilla ice cream.

Right you are. Whipped cream is strictly a boudoir additive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George M. Middius" wrote:

> Shouldn't wrote:
>
> > I rarely bother with whipped cream... for pie and cake I much prefer
> > vanilla ice cream.

> Right you are. Whipped cream is strictly a boudoir additive.

I haven't used whipped cream in years. The vanilla ice cream works and I
often buy (gasp) the Cool Whip Extra Creamy. It's just easier and I like
the taste just fine.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 11:52:02 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>"George M. Middius" wrote:
>>
>> Shouldn't wrote:
>>
>> > I rarely bother with whipped cream... for pie and cake I much prefer
>> > vanilla ice cream.

>> Right you are. Whipped cream is strictly a boudoir additive.

>I haven't used whipped cream in years. The vanilla ice cream works and I
>often buy (gasp) the Cool Whip Extra Creamy. It's just easier and I like
>the taste just fine.
>
>G.

The few times I want whipped cream I buy a can of Redi-Whip, doesn't
get any easier and it can wait in the fridge redi to use for a long
time. I hate cool whip, it's greezy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 21:11:23 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> zxcvbob wrote:

>>> I frosted a cake once with whipped cream. I used a pint of heavy cream
>>> and a cup of powdered sugar. (it was a big cake) Whip the cream first,
>>> then add the sugar. When I added the sugar the whipped cream got stiff,
>>> and it didn't weep like normal whipped cream, and the cake lasted for
>>> several days so it had plenty of time for the frosting to fall apart. HTH.
>>>
>>> Bob

>> For my pie, I always use 1 cup of cream and one big spoon of
>> powdered sugar. But I am looking for a very faint sweetness to
>> contrast with the pie, plus some stability. Frosting would be a
>> whole 'nother matter as far as level of sweetness goes.

> I rarely bother with whipped cream... for pie and cake I much prefer
> vanilla ice cream.

Depends on the pie. Ice cream on pumpkin chiffon pie? Not for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
> "George M. Middius" wrote:
>> Shouldn't wrote:
>>
>>> I rarely bother with whipped cream... for pie and cake I much prefer
>>> vanilla ice cream.

>> Right you are. Whipped cream is strictly a boudoir additive.

> I haven't used whipped cream in years. The vanilla ice cream works and I
> often buy (gasp) the Cool Whip Extra Creamy. It's just easier and I like
> the taste just fine.
>
> G.

But the ingredients...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 20:57:58 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

>Brooklyn1 wrote:

>>> For my pie, I always use 1 cup of cream and one big spoon of
>>> powdered sugar. But I am looking for a very faint sweetness to
>>> contrast with the pie, plus some stability. Frosting would be a
>>> whole 'nother matter as far as level of sweetness goes.

>> I rarely bother with whipped cream... for pie and cake I much prefer
>> vanilla ice cream.

>Depends on the pie. Ice cream on pumpkin chiffon pie? Not for me.

I see nothing wrong with vanilla ice cream with pumpkin pie.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:

> >> Right you are. Whipped cream is strictly a boudoir additive.

> > I haven't used whipped cream in years. The vanilla ice cream works and I
> > often buy (gasp) the Cool Whip Extra Creamy. It's just easier and I like
> > the taste just fine.

> But the ingredients...

You have to suspend your disgust.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/25/2012 8:58 PM, Jean B. wrote:
> Gary wrote:

>>> Right you are. Whipped cream is strictly a boudoir additive.

>> I haven't used whipped cream in years. The vanilla ice cream works and I
>> often buy (gasp) the Cool Whip Extra Creamy. It's just easier and I like
>> the taste just fine.

> But the ingredients...

A friend of my brother's brought a Chinese guy to Thanksgiving.
He'd just graduated from college and that's all I managed to get.

When dessert came out, someone had brought some Redi Whip.

It was comical to see him trying to figure out how to use it,
I think he was sure it worked one way and everyone's telling
him, push here! No, over here! Poor kid. He was good natured
about it, but it was funny to see.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 11:14:24 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> A friend of my brother's brought a Chinese guy to Thanksgiving.
> He'd just graduated from college and that's all I managed to get.
>
> When dessert came out, someone had brought some Redi Whip.
>
> It was comical to see him trying to figure out how to use it,
> I think he was sure it worked one way and everyone's telling
> him, push here! No, over here! Poor kid. He was good natured
> about it, but it was funny to see.

I hope someone taught him how to squirt it directly into his mouth!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/26/2012 11:56 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 11:14:24 -0500, Nancy Young
> > wrote:
>

>> A friend of my brother's brought a Chinese guy to Thanksgiving.
>> He'd just graduated from college and that's all I managed to get.
>>
>> When dessert came out, someone had brought some Redi Whip.
>>
>> It was comical to see him trying to figure out how to use it,
>> I think he was sure it worked one way and everyone's telling
>> him, push here! No, over here! Poor kid. He was good natured
>> about it, but it was funny to see.

> I hope someone taught him how to squirt it directly into his mouth!

(laugh!) I said If no one's around to see, you can just squirt it
right into your mouth! I don't know if he even understood what I was
saying, but everyone else laughed.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 15:13:26 -0500, Nancy Young