Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.music.dylan,rec.music.makers.songwriting,uk.media.radio.bbc-r4

Default Alice's Restaurant

Arlo Guthrie's claim to 'greatness'......

hadn't heard this feeble 'tune' it in years

couldn't tolerate it for any longer than it took to switch it off

turns out (thanks to BBC Radio 4) There's A Story Attached

about a litter fine constituting a wheeze for getting out of the draft

still no excuse for such a lousy 'tune'

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.music.dylan,rec.music.makers.songwriting,uk.media.radio.bbc-r4

On 20/11/2012 11:24 PM, Gill Smith wrote:
> Arlo Guthrie's claim to 'greatness'......
>
> hadn't heard this feeble 'tune' it in years
>
> couldn't tolerate it for any longer than it took to switch it off
>
> turns out (thanks to BBC Radio 4) There's A Story Attached
>
> about a litter fine constituting a wheeze for getting out of the draft
>
> still no excuse for such a lousy 'tune'
>
> --
> http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

I thought it was ... different. Not bad, just different.

--

Krypsis
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.music.dylan,rec.music.makers.songwriting,uk.media.radio.bbc-r4

Gill Smith wrote:

> Arlo Guthrie's claim to 'greatness'......
>
> hadn't heard this feeble 'tune' it in years
>
> couldn't tolerate it for any longer than it took to switch it off
>
> turns out (thanks to BBC Radio 4) There's A Story Attached
>
> about a litter fine constituting a wheeze for getting out of the draft
>
> still no excuse for such a lousy 'tune'

I remember seeing the film (pronounced fillum). His dad was dying... as
they do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 00:13:09 +1100, Krypsis >
>I thought it was ... different. Not bad, just different.

Arlo caved to PC crap, like the line about "They might think they're
both faggots and they won't take either of them." Can't say "faggot"
these days!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 20, 2012 8:54:40 AM UTC-5, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 00:13:09 +1100, Krypsis >

> >I thought it was ... different. Not bad, just different.

> Arlo caved to PC crap, like the line about "They might think they're
>
> both faggots and they won't take either of them." Can't say "faggot"
>
> these days!
>

> John Kuthe...

Faggot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/20/12 7:24 AM, Gill Smith wrote:
> Arlo Guthrie's claim to 'greatness'......

It's a great song in the American folk story-telling tradition, and was
meaningful during the Vietnam era. Many American radio stations play it
every year on or near the Thanksgiving holiday, just as "War of the
Worlds" is played for Halloween.

Not Arlo's best -- that is probably "Coming into Los Angeles".

Maybe you should stick to simpler tunes that don't involve social
commentary, so you can understand what they're about. You know, things
like "My Dog Has Fleas".

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20/11/2012 10:19 AM, pltrgyst wrote:
> On 11/20/12 7:24 AM, Gill Smith wrote:
>> Arlo Guthrie's claim to 'greatness'......

> It's a great song in the American folk story-telling tradition, and was
> meaningful during the Vietnam era. Many American radio stations play it
> every year on or near the Thanksgiving holiday, just as "War of the
> Worlds" is played for Halloween.

I liked that song. I still do. I have one special memory of it from
about 25 years ago. We were on vacation in Massachusetts and it was on
the radio. Then the DJ talked about Alice's Restaurant being in nearby
Stockbridge. Dammit. We had just been in Stockbridge. I had no idea it
was there. I would have gone by and had a look.

> Not Arlo's best -- that is probably "Coming into Los Angeles".
>
> Maybe you should stick to simpler tunes that don't involve social
> commentary, so you can understand what they're about. You know, things
> like "My Dog Has Fleas".

Some people just don't what it takes to listen to and appreciate lyrics.
There was a time when people actually sat down and listened to music,
the tune and the lyrics.

FWIW, I think the story is hilarious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-11-20, pltrgyst > wrote:

> like "My Dog Has Fleas".

But, but, but.... our dog doesn't have fleas. Maybe she jes don't
taste good. (shug)

nb

--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 11:00:13 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> I liked that song. I still do.

It's a funny song. Pretty much describes small town living... much
ado about nothing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 20/11/2012 10:19 AM, pltrgyst wrote:
>> On 11/20/12 7:24 AM, Gill Smith wrote:
>>> Arlo Guthrie's claim to 'greatness'......

>> It's a great song in the American folk story-telling tradition, and was
>> meaningful during the Vietnam era. Many American radio stations play it
>> every year on or near the Thanksgiving holiday, just as "War of the
>> Worlds" is played for Halloween.

> I liked that song. I still do. I have one special memory of it from about
> 25 years ago. We were on vacation in Massachusetts and it was on the
> radio. Then the DJ talked about Alice's Restaurant being in nearby
> Stockbridge. Dammit. We had just been in Stockbridge. I had no idea it
> was there. I would have gone by and had a look.
>

>> Not Arlo's best -- that is probably "Coming into Los Angeles".
>>
>> Maybe you should stick to simpler tunes that don't involve social
>> commentary, so you can understand what they're about. You know, things
>> like "My Dog Has Fleas".

> Some people just don't what it takes to listen to and appreciate lyrics.
> There was a time when people actually sat down and listened to music, the
> tune and the lyrics.
>
> FWIW, I think the story is hilarious.

I always related to the song living in mass in 1969 and going for draft
physical.

Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> >Funny how stuff like that works. Not too long ago I heard someone
> >complaining about All In The Family. The person thought that Archie's
> >attitude was racist, misogynistic and homophobic. No shit. He was a
> >character with those trades and they were satirizing him, making him
> >look foolish for having those views.

> *HE* looked foolish? It was his meathead son-in-law and pinko
> daughter who looked foolish!<G>
>
> I had friends who really felt that way. They enjoyed the show as
> much as I did.

Carroll O'Connor was born to play that role. Check out the original
(British) -- it's tepid by comparison.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.music.makers.songwriting

Gill Smith wrote:

> Arlo Guthrie's claim to 'greatness'......
>
> hadn't heard this feeble 'tune' it in years
>
> couldn't tolerate it for any longer than it took to switch it off

LOL! I never cared for that song either but he did some great ones.
He did a concert at my college in 1971 and it was a very good one.
Funny how that song got "radio popular" when he did so many other good ones.
I've got an old cassette tape album of his (from that time period) somewhere
in a closet and so many of the songs were top notch!

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/20/2012 1:54 PM, injipoint wrote:

> Hi Ft Lauderdale concert was an eye-opener for me.
> He had his son AND his grandson playing on stage with him.
> His wife and daughters are his "managers", who make him get to
> places on time.

His wife died quite recently.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21/11/2012 6:31 AM, Andy wrote:
> I know about Alice's Restaurant.
>
> I schooled just down the street. Arlo was school alumni. a few
> years before I.
>
> I knew officer Obie all too well.
>
> Andy

And he you, no doubt!

--

Krypsis

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20/11/2012 1:28 PM, gregz wrote:

>> Some people just don't what it takes to listen to and appreciate lyrics.
>> There was a time when people actually sat down and listened to music, the
>> tune and the lyrics.
>>
>> FWIW, I think the story is hilarious.

> I always related to the song living in mass in 1969 and going for draft
> physical.

I got a kick out of him being thrown in with all the mother rapers and
father rapers, and they all move away from him when he said he was in
for littering.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/20/2012 5:45 AM, Susan wrote:

> I LOVE LOVE LOVE Alice's Restaurant and I play it every Thanksiving day.
>

> Susan

Ah, you really dig that tune. I used to listen to it a lot as a kid and
I think that affected my way of thinking. It's also the first
fingerpicking piece that many guitar players of my generation learned -
including me. I haven't heard it in years but I do have the CD just in
case I ever need to.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr wrote:

> It's hard to use almost any national- or race-related insult these days
> without somebody considering it an insult!

and you're nothing but a gtr around here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/20/12 1:01 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> I'll stifle myself, now.

Ummm, Jim: in Archie-speak, stifle is not transitive. 8

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/20/12 2:31 PM, Gary wrote:

> Just kidding, Susan. I play "And so this is Christmas" by John Lennon every
> Christmas morning.

In our house, it's always the Twelve Days of Christmas, by Bob & Doug
McKenzie.

But this year, it'll be xmas carols played on steel drums by native
islanders wearing Santa outfits... 8

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 14:36:36 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> When I involved in therapeutic riding I got tut tutted a few times for
> using the term "mentally retarded" Excuse the hell out of me, my
> Honours degree in Psychology was obtained in the 70s when mental
> retardation was an approved label, and my wife worked at a school for
> the "trainable mentally retarded". Over the last decade or so the PC
> label has changed several times. It is as if each knew label is some
> sort of euphemism that has to be discarded as soon as the public catches
> on that it means mentally retarded.

That cracks me up too. I live and worked in the original hotbed of PC
terminology so I know how it goes. When I was working, the terms
changed so fast my head was spinning. I'd go into a meeting and felt
like I hadn't gotten "the memo" because I had to figure out new
terminology from context.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-11-20 20:12:03 +0000, Gary said:

> gtr wrote:
>>
>> It's hard to use almost any national- or race-related insult these days
>> without somebody considering it an insult!

> and you're nothing but a gtr around here.

I like the way you hedged your bets with the winky icon. It
underscores the incendiary aspects of the whole thing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

> He told The New York Times Magazine that he is a Republican because, "We
> had enough good Democrats. We needed a few more good Republicans..."

He's absolutely right. We need quite a few more *good* Republicans.
Hell, two ro three would be a significant sea-change!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-11-20 19:43:28 +0000, sf said:

> Not all Republicans are Tea Party Republicans.

When the 11th commandment is "Thou shalt not speak ill of any fellow
Republican.", they all willingly become Tea Party Republicans.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 15:31:23 -0500, pltrgyst >
wrote:

> But this year, it'll be xmas carols played on steel drums by native
> islanders wearing Santa outfits... 8

I like that!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20/11/2012 8:04 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 11/20/2012 1:54 PM, injipoint wrote:
>
>> Hi Ft Lauderdale concert was an eye-opener for me.
>> He had his son AND his grandson playing on stage with him.
>> His wife and daughters are his "managers", who make him get to
>> places on time.

> His wife died quite recently.

That's a shock to me. She looked fine in March. He even told
a joke about her using his passport by mistake and the airport
travel police people stopping her. I'll go look further into
that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20/11/2012 3:37 PM, sf wrote:

>> When I involved in therapeutic riding I got tut tutted a few times for
>> using the term "mentally retarded" Excuse the hell out of me, my
>> Honours degree in Psychology was obtained in the 70s when mental
>> retardation was an approved label, and my wife worked at a school for
>> the "trainable mentally retarded". Over the last decade or so the PC
>> label has changed several times. It is as if each knew label is some
>> sort of euphemism that has to be discarded as soon as the public catches
>> on that it means mentally retarded.

> That cracks me up too. I live and worked in the original hotbed of PC
> terminology so I know how it goes. When I was working, the terms
> changed so fast my head was spinning. I'd go into a meeting and felt
> like I hadn't gotten "the memo" because I had to figure out new
> terminology from context.

It's curious how the handicapped and disabled and their advocates reject
the labels that are applied to their issues, but they sure don't mind
using them to get something. They don't like to be called handicapped or
disabled, but they like those handicapped /disabled parking spaces.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr wrote:

> On 2012-11-20 20:12:03 +0000, Gary said:
>
> > gtr wrote:
> >>
> >> It's hard to use almost any national- or race-related insult these days
> >> without somebody considering it an insult!

> > and you're nothing but a gtr around here.

> I like the way you hedged your bets with the winky icon. It
> underscores the incendiary aspects of the whole thing.

As usual, I was "just kidding/teasing." :-D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20/11/2012 4:00 PM, injipoint wrote:
> On 20/11/2012 8:04 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
>> On 11/20/2012 1:54 PM, injipoint wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Ft Lauderdale concert was an eye-opener for me.
>>> He had his son AND his grandson playing on stage with him.
>>> His wife and daughters are his "managers", who make him get to
>>> places on time.

>> His wife died quite recently.
>>

> That's a shock to me. She looked fine in March. He even told
> a joke about her using his passport by mistake and the airport
> travel police people stopping her. I'll go look further into
> that.

I googled it... she died last month after a short battle with liver cancer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 15:27:16 -0500, pltrgyst >
wrote:

>On 11/20/12 1:01 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>
>> I'll stifle myself, now.

>Ummm, Jim: in Archie-speak, stifle is not transitive. 8

As I remember it, the quote was "Stifle [verb] Yourself [object],
Edith"

Bad memory or humor-bone?<g>

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 16:11:50 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 20/11/2012 4:00 PM, injipoint wrote:

> >> His wife died quite recently.
> >>

> > That's a shock to me. She looked fine in March. He even told
> > a joke about her using his passport by mistake and the airport
> > travel police people stopping her. I'll go look further into
> > that.

> I googled it... she died last month after a short battle with liver cancer.

That's a miserable way to die.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/20/2012 3:46 PM, gloria p wrote:

> Social satire doesn't translate well to future generations.
> "Alice's Restaurant" made perfect sense during the Vietnam War
> to the anti-war movement, and the music was very typical of
> 60s-70s folk music. It is a great symbol of the times. Does
> today's rapcrap mean anything to anyone?
>
> gloria p

That is true, Gloria, young people cared about civil rights, equal
rights, the Vietnam war, and our music reflected those issues. Young
people participated in walk-outs, sit-ins, bra burnings, draft card
burnings, protests, including myself. I still enjoy that music, but I
also find myself listening to Flo Rida, aka rapcrap.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-11-20 21:09:30 +0000, Gary said:

> gtr wrote:

>>> and you're nothing but a gtr around here.

>> I like the way you hedged your bets with the winky icon. It
>> underscores the incendiary aspects of the whole thing.

> As usual, I was "just kidding/teasing." :-D

Clearly. And in topics like this one has to shout that to be safe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-11-20 21:05:01 +0000, Dave Smith said:

> It's curious how the handicapped and disabled and their advocates
> reject the labels that are applied to their issues, but they sure don't
> mind using them to get something. They don't like to be called
> handicapped or disabled, but they like those handicapped /disabled
> parking spaces.

Even funnier how they can all have the same negative qualities
attributed to them in one sweeping generalization too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-11-20 21:46:41 +0000, gloria p said:

> Social satire doesn't translate well to future generations.
> "Alice's Restaurant" made perfect sense during the Vietnam War
> to the anti-war movement, and the music was very typical of
> 60s-70s folk music. It is a great symbol of the times. Does
> today's rapcrap mean anything to anyone?

It means plenty to a lot of people, but I'm not one of them. Does
"rapcrap" have something to do with social satire?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-11-20 22:27:50 +0000, sf said:

>> I googled it... she died last month after a short battle with liver cancer.

> That's a miserable way to die.

Still, I'll take a short route over a long route any time. Especially
after witnessing the latter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> Funny how stuff like that works. Not too long ago I heard someone
> complaining about All In The Family. The person thought that Archie's
> attitude was racist, misogynistic and homophobic. No shit. He was a
> character with those trades and they were satirizing him, making him
> look foolish for having those views.

I guess that perspective is lost on folks who didn't see it at the
time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
> Gill Smith wrote:
>> Arlo Guthrie's claim to 'greatness'......
>>
>> hadn't heard this feeble 'tune' it in years
>>
>> couldn't tolerate it for any longer than it took to switch it off

> LOL! I never cared for that song either but he did some great ones.
> He did a concert at my college in 1971 and it was a very good one.
> Funny how that song got "radio popular" when he did so many other good ones.
> I've got an old cassette tape album of his (from that time period) somewhere
> in a closet and so many of the songs were top notch!
>
> G.

Hmmm. I may have to go rummage around in my vinyl collection....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ema Nymton wrote:
> On 11/20/2012 3:46 PM, gloria p wrote:
>
>> Social satire doesn't translate well to future generations.
>> "Alice's Restaurant" made perfect sense during the Vietnam War
>> to the anti-war movement, and the music was very typical of
>> 60s-70s folk music. It is a great symbol of the times. Does
>> today's rapcrap mean anything to anyone?
>>
>> gloria p

> That is true, Gloria, young people cared about civil rights, equal
> rights, the Vietnam war, and our music reflected those issues. Young
> people participated in walk-outs, sit-ins, bra burnings, draft card
> burnings, protests, including myself. I still enjoy that music, but I
> also find myself listening to Flo Rida, aka rapcrap.
>
> Becca

I also have and listen to music from the late mid-60s-70s. I am
still heavily influenced by it. (I do have many genres of music
though.) To kind-of bring this back into the food realm, I used
to match music to what I was cooking and serving (e.g., Indonesian
music when it was Indonesian food).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr wrote:
> On 2012-11-20 22:27:50 +0000, sf said:
>
>>> I googled it... she died last month after a short battle with liver
>>> cancer.

>> That's a miserable way to die.

> Still, I'll take a short route over a long route any time. Especially
> after witnessing the latter.

BUT short can still be too long (in terms of suffering). :-(

Jean B., whose mother died of pancreatic cancer