Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cost Of Turkey This Year/Prefer Fresh Or Frozen?

We just brought home our FREE 16 lb. frozen turkey for Thanksgiving.
I've been saving up the super saving's coupons at Superbear Supermarket,
and had exactly 16, which I could use one coupon for each lb. turkey.
They are advertising fresh turkeys for $1.69 a lb. (whew!) and then
regular price, without any coupons is 90¢ a lb., but for so many
dollars spent at Fred Meyer, one can get a turkey for 69¢ a lb. if
spend $100 in other items and 89¢ if spend $50 and free if spend up to
$150, which doesn't take much now days.

I'd heard the price would be more this year, but I don't think it is
here, if memory serves me correctly?

I know some say they prefer fresh turkey over the frozen, but I've had
both and honestly, I don't see any difference.

For sure we can't go out and hunt our own wild turkey, as they don't do
well here. and no doubt it's too wet and too cold.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/19/2012 6:01 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> We just brought home our FREE 16 lb. frozen turkey for Thanksgiving.
> I've been saving up the super saving's coupons at Superbear Supermarket,
> and had exactly 16, which I could use one coupon for each lb. turkey.
> They are advertising fresh turkeys for $1.69 a lb. (whew!) and then
> regular price, without any coupons is 90¢ a lb., but for so many
> dollars spent at Fred Meyer, one can get a turkey for 69¢ a lb. if
> spend $100 in other items and 89¢ if spend $50 and free if spend up to
> $150, which doesn't take much now days.
>
> I'd heard the price would be more this year, but I don't think it is
> here, if memory serves me correctly?
>
> I know some say they prefer fresh turkey over the frozen, but I've had
> both and honestly, I don't see any difference.
>
> For sure we can't go out and hunt our own wild turkey, as they don't do
> well here. and no doubt it's too wet and too cold.
>
> Judy

For me it's the additives in the less expensive turkeys. I do not want
a turkey that's been injected with "solutions" or has had industrial
fats squirted under its skin.

I'll pay more for a naturally processed (not organic) bird to avoid the
laboratory.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19/11/2012 7:01 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> I know some say they prefer fresh turkey over the frozen, but I've had
> both and honestly, I don't see any difference.
>
> For sure we can't go out and hunt our own wild turkey, as they don't do
> well here. and no doubt it's too wet and too cold.

My wife always gets fresh turkeys for special meals. I sure notice a
difference. Most people I know who hat shot and cooked wild turkeys
were not impressed with the meat. It usually ends up in stew or soup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Whole frozen turkeys were 69 cents a pound at Kroger. Frozen turkey
breast was $1.19 per pound.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> On 19/11/2012 7:01 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:
>

> > I know some say they prefer fresh turkey over the frozen, but I've had
> > both and honestly, I don't see any difference.
> >
> > For sure we can't go out and hunt our own wild turkey, as they don't do
> > well here. and no doubt it's too wet and too cold.
> >

> My wife always gets fresh turkeys for special meals. I sure notice a
> difference. Most people I know who hat shot and cooked wild turkeys
> were not impressed with the meat. It usually ends up in stew or soup.

I agree. Wild anything is not the same as farm raised.
Your wild turkey will be lean and gamey tasting.
Nothing wrong with that but much different than a grocery store turkey.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> On 19/11/2012 7:01 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:
>

> > I know some say they prefer fresh turkey over the frozen, but I've had
> > both and honestly, I don't see any difference.
> >
> > For sure we can't go out and hunt our own wild turkey, as they don't do
> > well here. and no doubt it's too wet and too cold.
> >

> My wife always gets fresh turkeys for special meals. I sure notice a
> difference. Most people I know who hat shot and cooked wild turkeys
> were not impressed with the meat. It usually ends up in stew or soup.

I agree. Wild anything is not the same as farm raised.
Your wild turkey will be lean and gamey tasting.
Nothing wrong with that but much different than a grocery store turkey.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 20, 7:40*am, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> On 11/19/2012 6:01 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:
>

> > We just brought home our FREE 16 lb. frozen turkey for Thanksgiving.
> > I've been saving up the super saving's coupons at Superbear Supermarket,
> > and had exactly 16, which I could use one coupon for each lb. turkey.
> > They are advertising fresh turkeys for $1.69 a lb. (whew!) and then
> > regular price, without any coupons is 90 a lb., but for so many
> > dollars spent at Fred Meyer, one can get a turkey for 69 a lb. if
> > spend $100 in other items and 89 if spend $50 and free if spend up to
> > $150, which doesn't take much now days.

> > I'd heard the price would be more this year, but I don't think it is
> > here, if memory serves me correctly?

> > I know some say they prefer fresh turkey over the frozen, but I've had
> > both and honestly, I don't see any difference.

> > For sure we can't go out and hunt our own wild turkey, as they don't do
> > well here. and no doubt it's too wet and too cold.

> > Judy

> For me it's the additives in the less expensive turkeys. *I do not want
> a turkey that's been injected with "solutions" or has had industrial
> fats squirted under its skin.
>
> I'll pay more for a naturally processed (not organic) bird to avoid the
> laboratory.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. *Cooking does.

We got lucky and got an organic free range for $1.99'lb.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/20/2012 1:30 PM, Chemo wrote:
> On Nov 20, 7:40 am, Janet Wilder > wrote:
>> On 11/19/2012 6:01 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:
>>

>>> We just brought home our FREE 16 lb. frozen turkey for Thanksgiving.
>>> I've been saving up the super saving's coupons at Superbear Supermarket,
>>> and had exactly 16, which I could use one coupon for each lb. turkey.
>>> They are advertising fresh turkeys for $1.69 a lb. (whew!) and then
>>> regular price, without any coupons is 90 a lb., but for so many
>>> dollars spent at Fred Meyer, one can get a turkey for 69 a lb. if
>>> spend $100 in other items and 89 if spend $50 and free if spend up to
>>> $150, which doesn't take much now days.

>>> I'd heard the price would be more this year, but I don't think it is
>>> here, if memory serves me correctly?

>>> I know some say they prefer fresh turkey over the frozen, but I've had
>>> both and honestly, I don't see any difference.

>>> For sure we can't go out and hunt our own wild turkey, as they don't do
>>> well here. and no doubt it's too wet and too cold.

>>> Judy

>> For me it's the additives in the less expensive turkeys. I do not want
>> a turkey that's been injected with "solutions" or has had industrial
>> fats squirted under its skin.
>>
>> I'll pay more for a naturally processed (not organic) bird to avoid the
>> laboratory.
>>
>> --
>> Janet Wilder
>> Way-the-heck-south Texas
>> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

> We got lucky and got an organic free range for $1.99'lb.

Very lucky indeed!

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/20/2012 11:09 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 19/11/2012 7:01 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:
>

>> I know some say they prefer fresh turkey over the frozen, but I've had
>> both and honestly, I don't see any difference.
>>
>> For sure we can't go out and hunt our own wild turkey, as they don't do
>> well here. and no doubt it's too wet and too cold.
>>

> My wife always gets fresh turkeys for special meals. I sure notice a
> difference. Most people I know who hat shot and cooked wild turkeys
> were not impressed with the meat. It usually ends up in stew or soup.

I watched the Thanksgiving Live special on the Food Network this weekend
and they showed various turkeys for comparison. The wild ones were very
boney. I guess you have to have the ones raised for cooking to get all
the meat. I've never tasted a wild one, so I have nothing to compare
the taste to.

Bird flu means your Thanksgiving turkey will cost more this year Janet B General Cooking 10 14-11-2015 05:13 PM
Frozen turkey prices this year? zxcvbob General Cooking 49 16-11-2011 02:24 PM
Prefer Canned Or Fresh Cranberry Sauce? Judy Haffner General Cooking 34 26-10-2011 07:36 PM
Fresh Frozen Herring Gerry[_3_] Sushi 20 01-12-2008 10:39 PM
Frozen or fresh? ceed Barbecue 6 24-06-2005 12:16 AM