Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "Cage-free" eggs

Where does one find eggs that are not produced in battery cages if you
don't personally know someone with a flock of yard chickens? I don't
eat all that many eggs, so if they cost, say $3 per dozen instead of
99¢, that doesn't really affect my food budget at all. But I don't want
to pay extra just for a marketing ploy that really doesn't mean what is
says.

To be honest, I haven't looked for them yet. And I just bought a dozen
eggs this morning at the convenience store that were so cheap there were
probably produced in triple-decker cages by chickens fed a diet of
garbage and roadkill.

I don't want necessarily to pay $1 apiece for Amish™ heirloom-chicken
Organic™ eggs (What does even that mean? I bet those chickens aren't
even Amish at all)

Just free-roaming in a crowded barn with nest boxes, roosts, and a dirt
corner for "dust baths", even if the chooks never go outside or eat a
bug would be a huge improvement if not totally cruelty-free.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 15, 12:24*pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
> Where does one find eggs that are not produced in battery cages if you
> don't personally know someone with a flock of yard chickens? *I don't
> eat all that many eggs, so if they cost, say $3 per dozen instead of
> 99¢, that doesn't really affect my food budget at all. *But I don't want
> to pay extra just for a marketing ploy that really doesn't mean what is
> says.
>
> To be honest, I haven't looked for them yet. *And I just bought a dozen
> eggs this morning at the convenience store that were so cheap there were
> probably produced in triple-decker cages by chickens fed a diet of
> garbage and roadkill.
>
> I don't want necessarily to pay $1 apiece for Amish™ heirloom-chicken
> Organic™ eggs (What does even that mean? *I bet those chickens aren't
> even Amish at all)
>
> Just free-roaming in a crowded barn with nest boxes, roosts, and a dirt
> corner for "dust baths", even if the chooks never go outside or eat a
> bug would be a huge improvement if not totally cruelty-free.
>
> Bob

Any organic grocery ought to have them. That's where I get mine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-11-15, zxcvbob > wrote:

> Just free-roaming in a crowded barn with nest boxes, roosts, and a dirt
> corner for "dust baths", even if the chooks never go outside or eat a
> bug would be a huge improvement if not totally cruelty-free.

I've bought 4-5 different "organic" labeled eggs. A couple were
plainly a rip-off, while the others were pretty dang good. Right now
I have a dozen Land-O-Lakes All Natural eggs I got at Safeway for
about $5 doz. Better than most. Another one of the better organic
eggs I got at a farmers mkt for $3 per doz. These are usualy gone by
early morning, being all bought up by savvy early shoppers.

nb

--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 14:24:31 -0600, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>Where does one find eggs that are not produced in battery cages if you
>don't personally know someone with a flock of yard chickens? I don't
>eat all that many eggs, so if they cost, say $3 per dozen instead of
>99¢, that doesn't really affect my food budget at all. But I don't want
>to pay extra just for a marketing ploy that really doesn't mean what is
>says.
>
>To be honest, I haven't looked for them yet. And I just bought a dozen
>eggs this morning at the convenience store that were so cheap there were
>probably produced in triple-decker cages by chickens fed a diet of
>garbage and roadkill.
>
>I don't want necessarily to pay $1 apiece for Amish™ heirloom-chicken
>Organic™ eggs (What does even that mean? I bet those chickens aren't
>even Amish at all)
>
>Just free-roaming in a crowded barn with nest boxes, roosts, and a dirt
>corner for "dust baths", even if the chooks never go outside or eat a
>bug would be a huge improvement if not totally cruelty-free.

I can't help you much with where to find real free range eggs, but
I've always regarded anything less than free range to be
unsatisfactory. 'Cage free' clearly isn't free range, or anything like
it... I can only view the term as being intentionally deceptive.

Then there is 'free range' and /free range/... sometimes not what I
would consider to be really free range. Its a bit of a minefield,
unfortunately.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jeßus wrote:
> I can't help you much with where to find real free range eggs, but
> I've always regarded anything less than free range to be
> unsatisfactory. 'Cage free' clearly isn't free range, or anything like
> it... I can only view the term as being intentionally deceptive.
>
> Then there is 'free range' and /free range/... sometimes not what I
> would consider to be really free range. Its a bit of a minefield,
> unfortunately.

Free-range eggs, vs. free range-eggs?

I don't have to go all the way in one step, just looking to make
improvements. Commercial egg production is usually pretty horrific.

A home flock of dual-purpose chickens is the way to go; butcher most of
the roosters for broilers and the 3 year old hens for stew, and let them
have a good life in between. That's actually illegal here; city
ordinance. Can't even raise all hens.

bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Where does one find eggs that are not produced in battery cages if you
>don't personally know someone with a flock of yard chickens?

Call your state agriculture department. [or find their website online]
Most ag departments have a list of farms that sell direct to the
public and what they sell.

You won't believe it is the same product.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> Where does one find eggs that are not produced in battery cages if you
> don't personally know someone with a flock of yard chickens? I don't
> eat all that many eggs, so if they cost, say $3 per dozen instead of
> 99¢, that doesn't really affect my food budget at all. But I don't want
> to pay extra just for a marketing ploy that really doesn't mean what is
> says.
>
> To be honest, I haven't looked for them yet. And I just bought a dozen
> eggs this morning at the convenience store that were so cheap there were
> probably produced in triple-decker cages by chickens fed a diet of
> garbage and roadkill.
>
> I don't want necessarily to pay $1 apiece for Amish™ heirloom-chicken
> Organic™ eggs (What does even that mean? I bet those chickens aren't
> even Amish at all)
>
> Just free-roaming in a crowded barn with nest boxes, roosts, and a dirt
> corner for "dust baths", even if the chooks never go outside or eat a
> bug would be a huge improvement if not totally cruelty-free.
>
> Bob

Eggland's Best brand cage-free organic eggs are readily available in
most grocery stores in 6 and 12 packs. I buy them in particular for
things like creme brulee since compared to even the Eggland's Best
regular eggs they have notable larger and darker yolks. Don't think that
those battery cages are cruel though, chickens, particularly the
commercial layer breeds are about the dumbest creatures on the planet
short of PETA members.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 07:35:08 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 14:24:31 -0600, zxcvbob >
>wrote:
>
>>Where does one find eggs that are not produced in battery cages if you
>>don't personally know someone with a flock of yard chickens? I don't
>>eat all that many eggs, so if they cost, say $3 per dozen instead of
>>99¢, that doesn't really affect my food budget at all. But I don't want
>>to pay extra just for a marketing ploy that really doesn't mean what is
>>says.
>>
>>To be honest, I haven't looked for them yet. And I just bought a dozen
>>eggs this morning at the convenience store that were so cheap there were
>>probably produced in triple-decker cages by chickens fed a diet of
>>garbage and roadkill.
>>
>>I don't want necessarily to pay $1 apiece for Amish™ heirloom-chicken
>>Organic™ eggs (What does even that mean? I bet those chickens aren't
>>even Amish at all)
>>
>>Just free-roaming in a crowded barn with nest boxes, roosts, and a dirt
>>corner for "dust baths", even if the chooks never go outside or eat a
>>bug would be a huge improvement if not totally cruelty-free.

>I can't help you much with where to find real free range eggs, but
>I've always regarded anything less than free range to be
>unsatisfactory. 'Cage free' clearly isn't free range, or anything like
>it... I can only view the term as being intentionally deceptive.
>
>Then there is 'free range' and /free range/... sometimes not what I
>would consider to be really free range. Its a bit of a minefield,
>unfortunately.

You bet, most free range is NOT free range. In most jurisdictions all
the producer need do to use the "free range" classification is let the
chickens out in a small fenced in area for a few minutes each day,
where there is nothing edible, not even a blade of grass, it's all
trampled down to dust. The major egg producers feed a far better mix,
keep their coops cleaner, and are USDA inspected. In my County one is
permitted up to 500 chickens before inspection is required. Many of
my neighbors raise chickens but after seeing the conditions in which
their chickens are kept and how their eggs are kept (no refrigeration)
I don't want their eggs. I buy eggs he
http://www.stewartsshops.com/what-we...ries-and-more/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 14:48:01 -0600, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>Jeßus wrote:
>> I can't help you much with where to find real free range eggs, but
>> I've always regarded anything less than free range to be
>> unsatisfactory. 'Cage free' clearly isn't free range, or anything like
>> it... I can only view the term as being intentionally deceptive.
>>
>> Then there is 'free range' and /free range/... sometimes not what I
>> would consider to be really free range. Its a bit of a minefield,
>> unfortunately.

>Free-range eggs, vs. free range-eggs?

Yes indeed

There seems to be differing ideas as to what constitutes 'free range',
particularly when it comes to commercial egg production... sometimes
their definition is really quite a stretch. For some it merely means
not caged. At least it does in Australia. There has been calls for a
legal definition but of course various interests keep derailing the
idea here.

>I don't have to go all the way in one step, just looking to make
>improvements. Commercial egg production is usually pretty horrific.

It is.

>A home flock of dual-purpose chickens is the way to go; butcher most of
>the roosters for broilers and the 3 year old hens for stew, and let them
>have a good life in between. That's actually illegal here; city
>ordinance. Can't even raise all hens.

Yes, very sad.

Fortunately for me, I live in the bush and my poultry can go wherever
they want! My chickens are Barnevelders - a dual purpose bird.
Still have a few Isa Browns (egg laying machines!), but am phasing
them out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Where does one find eggs that are not produced in battery cages if you
> don't personally know someone with a flock of yard chickens? I don't eat
> all that many eggs, so if they cost, say $3 per dozen instead of 99¢, that
> doesn't really affect my food budget at all. But I don't want to pay
> extra just for a marketing ploy that really doesn't mean what is says.
>
> To be honest, I haven't looked for them yet. And I just bought a dozen
> eggs this morning at the convenience store that were so cheap there were
> probably produced in triple-decker cages by chickens fed a diet of garbage
> and roadkill.
>
> I don't want necessarily to pay $1 apiece for Amish™ heirloom-chicken
> Organic™ eggs (What does even that mean? I bet those chickens aren't even
> Amish at all)
>
> Just free-roaming in a crowded barn with nest boxes, roosts, and a dirt
> corner for "dust baths", even if the chooks never go outside or eat a bug
> would be a huge improvement if not totally cruelty-free.

They're available at all of the grocery stores here. Labeled on the
packages.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> They're available at all of the grocery stores here. Labeled on the
> packages.

I don't trust labels; they often lie. You have to look for specific
words that are defined by the Dept of Agriculture, and I'm not sure what
those are here. (I think "cage free" might be it for the lowest level
of humanely-produced eggs)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-11-15, Pete C. > wrote:

> Eggland's Best brand cage-free organic eggs are readily available in
> most grocery stores.....

From Eggland wesite: "Our all-natural feed contains soybean meal,
healthy grains, canola oil...."

There's nary a soybean or canola plant in N. America that is not a
frankenfood, a genetically modified organism (GMO). Sorry, but I
don't consider GMO foods to be organic.

nb

--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2012-11-15, Pete C. > wrote:
>
> > Eggland's Best brand cage-free organic eggs are readily available in
> > most grocery stores.....

> From Eggland wesite: "Our all-natural feed contains soybean meal,
> healthy grains, canola oil...."
>
> There's nary a soybean or canola plant in N. America that is not a
> frankenfood, a genetically modified organism (GMO). Sorry, but I
> don't consider GMO foods to be organic.

That's ok, I don't consider anti-GMO folks to be rational.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-11-15, Pete C. > wrote:

> That's ok, I don't consider anti-GMO folks to be rational.

Of course you don't. I would expect nothing less from a tool.

nb

--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 10:35:34 +1100, John J > wrote:

>On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 08:42:35 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>>Fortunately for me, I live in the bush and my poultry can go wherever
>>they want! My chickens are Barnevelders - a dual purpose bird.
>>Still have a few Isa Browns (egg laying machines!), but am phasing
>>them out.

>Don't you lose them often to eagles, snakes, dogs etc?

We have eagles and goshawks here but they don't seem to bother the
adult birds. When my goslings were only a few weeks old, I saw a
goshawk try to take a gosling, but the three adult geese I have
weren't having any of that! A cormorant made the mistake of spending
some time in my creek and the geese killed it... Fantastic at
protecting their own babies.

The only real predators here are Quolls, Tasmanian Devils and feral
cats. I rarely see feral cats here though, due to remoteness from any
towns. The quolls are probably my biggest problem here, I've lost one
duck and two chooks to them thus far. Not too bad... one time was
partly my own fault, as I didnt lock the pen one night. Won't happen
again - now that I have a solar powered door with timer in the chook
pen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 16:29:57 -0500, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

>On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 07:35:08 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:
>>Then there is 'free range' and /free range/... sometimes not what I
>>would consider to be really free range. Its a bit of a minefield,
>>unfortunately.

>You bet, most free range is NOT free range. In most jurisdictions all
>the producer need do to use the "free range" classification is let the
>chickens out in a small fenced in area for a few minutes each day,
>where there is nothing edible, not even a blade of grass, it's all
>trampled down to dust.

One good example of making a mockery of 'free range'.
They almost may as well not bother letting them out of their cages at
all :\
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15 Nov 2012 22:48:30 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2012-11-15, Pete C. > wrote:
>
>> Eggland's Best brand cage-free organic eggs are readily available in
>> most grocery stores.....

>From Eggland wesite: "Our all-natural feed contains soybean meal,
>healthy grains, canola oil...."

That's no diet for a chicken, or any other animal for that matter
(humans included).

>There's nary a soybean or canola plant in N. America that is not a
>frankenfood, a genetically modified organism (GMO). Sorry, but I
>don't consider GMO foods to be organic.

Of course they're not. And as I already mentioned, soy is hardly a
healthy food for any animal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 18:27:51 -0500, Susan > wrote:

>Some producers keep chickens in moving structures that are like coops on
>wheels that they move around in a pasture, too.

Much like my chicken/duck tractor
http://www.hostpic.org/images/41DSCN6596.jpg
These ladies are pretty much ready to go into my belly... yum.
I love duck.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 18:27:51 -0500, Susan > wrote:
>
> >Some producers keep chickens in moving structures that are like coops on
> >wheels that they move around in a pasture, too.

> Much like my chicken/duck tractor
> http://www.hostpic.org/images/41DSCN6596.jpg
> These ladies are pretty much ready to go into my belly... yum.
> I love duck.

Yep, very important so the birds are moved to fresh areas with fresh
grass and bugs and without overgrazed bare spots, buildups of droppings,
etc. Of course the PETA types don't understand such things.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 15, 12:24*pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
> Where does one find eggs that are not produced in battery cages if you
> don't personally know someone with a flock of yard chickens? *I don't
> eat all that many eggs, so if they cost, say $3 per dozen instead of
> 99¢, that doesn't really affect my food budget at all. *But I don't want
> to pay extra just for a marketing ploy that really doesn't mean what is
> says.
>
> To be honest, I haven't looked for them yet. *And I just bought a dozen
> eggs this morning at the convenience store that were so cheap there were
> probably produced in triple-decker cages by chickens fed a diet of
> garbage and roadkill.
>
> I don't want necessarily to pay $1 apiece for Amish™ heirloom-chicken
> Organic™ eggs (What does even that mean? *I bet those chickens aren't
> even Amish at all)
>
> Just free-roaming in a crowded barn with nest boxes, roosts, and a dirt
> corner for "dust baths", even if the chooks never go outside or eat a
> bug would be a huge improvement if not totally cruelty-free.
>
> Bob

Craigslist?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 15, 12:24*pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
> Where does one find eggs that are not produced in battery cages if you
> don't personally know someone with a flock of yard chickens? *I don't
> eat all that many eggs, so if they cost, say $3 per dozen instead of
> 99¢, that doesn't really affect my food budget at all. *But I don't want
> to pay extra just for a marketing ploy that really doesn't mean what is
> says.
>
> To be honest, I haven't looked for them yet. *And I just bought a dozen
> eggs this morning at the convenience store that were so cheap there were
> probably produced in triple-decker cages by chickens fed a diet of
> garbage and roadkill.
>
> I don't want necessarily to pay $1 apiece for Amish™ heirloom-chicken
> Organic™ eggs (What does even that mean? *I bet those chickens aren't
> even Amish at all)
>
> Just free-roaming in a crowded barn with nest boxes, roosts, and a dirt
> corner for "dust baths", even if the chooks never go outside or eat a
> bug would be a huge improvement if not totally cruelty-free.
>
> Bob

Are you able to have any chickens where you live? I have 3, and have
more eggs than I can use. There are some great designs for chicken
tractors that don't take up a lot of room. They are really fun pets,
and you get free fertilizer with your eggs!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:
> Are you able to have any chickens where you live? I have 3, and have
> more eggs than I can use. There are some great designs for chicken
> tractors that don't take up a lot of room. They are really fun pets,
> and you get free fertilizer with your eggs!

I would love to have 2 or 3 hens in my backyard, living under the apple
tree to eat the grass and the bugs. They are illegal here (stupid city
ordinance), and the winters are so cold I don't know how I'd keep them
alive in January. A dozen hens in a proper chicken coop, yeah I could
do that, but my wife would probably be the first one to turn me in.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb > wrote:

>On Nov 15, 12:24*pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
>> Where does one find eggs that are not produced in battery cages if you
>> don't personally know someone with a flock of yard chickens? *I don't
>> eat all that many eggs, so if they cost, say $3 per dozen instead of
>> 99¢, that doesn't really affect my food budget at all. *But I don't want
>> to pay extra just for a marketing ploy that really doesn't mean what is

-snip-

>Craigslist?

Doh! smacked myself in the head and gave it a go-
http://albany.craigslist.org/grd/3410088953.html

Pink and green ones, too! Pictures of their 'pasture' and a basket
of eggs.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote:

>"Jeßus" wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 18:27:51 -0500, Susan > wrote:
>>
>> >Some producers keep chickens in moving structures that are like coops on
>> >wheels that they move around in a pasture, too.

>> Much like my chicken/duck tractor
>> http://www.hostpic.org/images/41DSCN6596.jpg
>> These ladies are pretty much ready to go into my belly... yum.
>> I love duck.

>Yep, very important so the birds are moved to fresh areas with fresh
>grass and bugs and without overgrazed bare spots, buildups of droppings,
>etc. Of course the PETA types don't understand such things.

OK- now show us a picture of a big commercial operation's moving coop.
I'll bet there are 5 times as many birds in the same area.

I'm no 'PETA type' - but I've seen commercial chicken [and pig] farms
and they ain't pretty.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> Where does one find eggs that are not produced in battery cages if you
> don't personally know someone with a flock of yard chickens? I don't
> eat all that many eggs, so if they cost, say $3 per dozen instead of
> 99¢, that doesn't really affect my food budget at all. But I don't want
> to pay extra just for a marketing ploy that really doesn't mean what is
> says.
>
> To be honest, I haven't looked for them yet. And I just bought a dozen
> eggs this morning at the convenience store that were so cheap there were
> probably produced in triple-decker cages by chickens fed a diet of
> garbage and roadkill.
>
> I don't want necessarily to pay $1 apiece for Amish™ heirloom-chicken
> Organic™ eggs (What does even that mean? I bet those chickens aren't
> even Amish at all)
>
> Just free-roaming in a crowded barn with nest boxes, roosts, and a dirt
> corner for "dust baths", even if the chooks never go outside or eat a
> bug would be a huge improvement if not totally cruelty-free.

Try calling Whole Foods and Trader Joe's.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> Whew. Lets cut this short.
> So WTF are you trying to _DO_ with these eggs you buy at the convenience
> store?

Use them for baking?

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 16, 4:34*am, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
> *merryb > wrote:
> >On Nov 15, 12:24 pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
> >> Where does one find eggs that are not produced in battery cages if you
> >> don't personally know someone with a flock of yard chickens? I don't
> >> eat all that many eggs, so if they cost, say $3 per dozen instead of
> >> 99 , that doesn't really affect my food budget at all. But I don't want
> >> to pay extra just for a marketing ploy that really doesn't mean what is

> -snip-
>

> >Craigslist?

> Doh! * smacked myself in the head and gave it a go-http://albany.craigslist.org/grd/3410088953.html
>
> Pink and green ones, too! * *Pictures of their 'pasture' and a basket
> of eggs.
>
> Jim

Excellent- glad you found some!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 10:10:17 -0800 (PST), merryb >
wrote:

>On Nov 16, 4:34*am, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
>> *merryb > wrote:

>> -snip-
>>

>> >Craigslist?

>> Doh! * smacked myself in the head and gave it a go-http://albany.craigslist.org/grd/3410088953.html
>>
>> Pink and green ones, too! * *Pictures of their 'pasture' and a basket
>> of eggs.
>>
>> Jim

>Excellent- glad you found some!

That was Bob that was really looking-- though
I might take a drive out to get some pink eggs just for giggles.

I couldn't believe I didn't think of Craigslist-- I do a lot of
shopping there. [and buy stuff once in a while, too]

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 16, 10:29*am, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 10:10:17 -0800 (PST), merryb >
> wrote:

> >> -snip-

> >> Doh! smacked myself in the head and gave it a go-http://albany.craigslist.org/grd/3410088953.html

> >> Pink and green ones, too! Pictures of their 'pasture' and a basket
> >> of eggs.

> >> Jim

> >Excellent- glad you found some!

> That was Bob that was really looking-- though
> I might take a drive out to get some pink eggs just for giggles.
>
> I couldn't believe I didn't think of Craigslist-- I do a lot of
> shopping there. [and buy stuff once in a while, too]
>
> Jim

That's where I found my chickens in the first place!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>> Doh! smacked myself in the head and gave it a go-http://albany.craigslist.org/grd/3410088953.html
>>>
>>> Pink and green ones, too! Pictures of their 'pasture' and a basket
>>> of eggs.
>>>
>>> Jim

>> Excellent- glad you found some!

> That was Bob that was really looking-- though
> I might take a drive out to get some pink eggs just for giggles.
>
> I couldn't believe I didn't think of Craigslist-- I do a lot of
> shopping there. [and buy stuff once in a while, too]
>
> Jim

Craigslist is a good idea. I checked, and there /are/ lots of people
selling eggs there -- all at least 20 miles away. There probably are
chickens closer than that but they don't advertise for fear of alerting
the police or the city council.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Where does one find eggs that are not produced in battery cages if you
>don't personally know someone with a flock of yard chickens? I don't
>eat all that many eggs, so if they cost, say $3 per dozen instead of
>99¢, that doesn't really affect my food budget at all. But I don't want
>to pay extra just for a marketing ploy that really doesn't mean what is
>says.
>
>To be honest, I haven't looked for them yet. And I just bought a dozen
>eggs this morning at the convenience store that were so cheap there were
>probably produced in triple-decker cages by chickens fed a diet of
>garbage and roadkill.
>
>I don't want necessarily to pay $1 apiece for Amish™ heirloom-chicken
>Organic™ eggs (What does even that mean? I bet those chickens aren't
>even Amish at all)
>
>Just free-roaming in a crowded barn with nest boxes, roosts, and a dirt
>corner for "dust baths", even if the chooks never go outside or eat a
>bug would be a huge improvement if not totally cruelty-free.
>
>Bob

According to this web site, even Wally Whirled carries them.

http://www.ccfbrands.com/our-brands/farmers-harvest

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, ost
says...

> On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 14:24:31 -0600, zxcvbob wrote:
>
> > Where does one find eggs that are not produced in battery cages if you
> > don't personally know someone with a flock of yard chickens? I don't
> > eat all that many eggs, so if they cost, say $3 per dozen instead of
> > 99¢, that doesn't really affect my food budget at all. But I don't want
> > to pay extra just for a marketing ploy that really doesn't mean what is
> > says.
> >
> > To be honest, I haven't looked for them yet. And I just bought a dozen
> > eggs this morning at the convenience store that were so cheap there were
> > probably produced in triple-decker cages by chickens fed a diet of
> > garbage and roadkill.
> >
> > I don't want necessarily to pay $1 apiece for Amish? heirloom-chicken
> > Organic? eggs (What does even that mean? I bet those chickens aren't
> > even Amish at all)
> >
> > Just free-roaming in a crowded barn with nest boxes, roosts, and a dirt
> > corner for "dust baths", even if the chooks never go outside or eat a
> > bug would be a huge improvement if not totally cruelty-free.

> Whew. Lets cut this short.
>
> So WTF are you trying to _DO_ with these eggs you buy at the convenience
> store?
>
> You have a long way to go between Convenience Store Eggs and Cage Free.
>
> -sw

Here's something interesting. The no-brand-name convenience store near
me stocks Cage Free eggs from Baffoni Farm here in Johnston, RI.

We've taken to calling them Constitutional Eggs - get it, no cage.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 14:24:31 -0600, zxcvbob > wrote:

>I don't want necessarily to pay $1 apiece for Amish™ heirloom-chicken
>Organic™ eggs (What does even that mean? I bet those chickens aren't
>even Amish at all)

Do Amish chickens own a horse and buggy?
How does the chicken steer the horse anyhow?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> Where does one find eggs that are not produced in battery cages if you
> don't personally know someone with a flock of yard chickens? I don't
> eat all that many eggs, so if they cost, say $3 per dozen instead of
> 99¢, that doesn't really affect my food budget at all. But I don't want
> to pay extra just for a marketing ploy that really doesn't mean what is
> says.
>
> To be honest, I haven't looked for them yet. And I just bought a dozen
> eggs this morning at the convenience store that were so cheap there were
> probably produced in triple-decker cages by chickens fed a diet of
> garbage and roadkill.
>
> I don't want necessarily to pay $1 apiece for Amish™ heirloom-chicken
> Organic™ eggs (What does even that mean? I bet those chickens aren't
> even Amish at all)
>
> Just free-roaming in a crowded barn with nest boxes, roosts, and a dirt
> corner for "dust baths", even if the chooks never go outside or eat a
> bug would be a huge improvement if not totally cruelty-free.
>
> Bob

This is something I am pondering and acting on. Some years ago, I
started going to the source for cage-free eggs. I hate to say how
long it was before I realized that I never saw the hens! I
explored a bit and found that cage-free meant that they were in
barns. Oooops. There is one farm around here that I know of that
sells eggs from hens that are out in the fresh air. (There is
another tiny place that MIGHT have a few eggs, but it is not a
reliable source.) Yesterday, I was again perusing the information
on the boxes. I ended up buying eggs at WF that claimed to come
from a farm in Texas (not good, not local) where the hens are
living as they should. It is called Vital Farms. If they are
selling eggs all the way up in Massachusetts, it must be a big
farm, so I wonder... Here is the link:

http://www.vitalfarms.com/

As you indicate, they are not cheap--nor are the other eggs I find
at the farms cheap. I find I am eating less and less meat, eggs,
etc. and trying harder to buy products from critters that have had
a good life.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Where does one find eggs that are not produced in battery cages if you
>don't personally know someone with a flock of yard chickens? I don't
>eat all that many eggs, so if they cost, say $3 per dozen instead of
>99¢, that doesn't really affect my food budget at all. But I don't want
>to pay extra just for a marketing ploy that really doesn't mean what is
>says.
>
>To be honest, I haven't looked for them yet. And I just bought a dozen
>eggs this morning at the convenience store that were so cheap there were
>probably produced in triple-decker cages by chickens fed a diet of
>garbage and roadkill.
>
>I don't want necessarily to pay $1 apiece for Amish™ heirloom-chicken
>Organic™ eggs (What does even that mean? I bet those chickens aren't
>even Amish at all)
>
>Just free-roaming in a crowded barn with nest boxes, roosts, and a dirt
>corner for "dust baths", even if the chooks never go outside or eat a
>bug would be a huge improvement if not totally cruelty-free.
>
>Bob

Nice part about living in the sticks where I do is that I can get a 12
pound free range turkey and a dozen free range eggs for $25. I can
get local eggs from a neat store that sells local eggs when the hens
are laying. He also has American Cheese that is not processed. He
gets cheeses from the Amish producers. I really hate it when the hens
go on strike.

Are there any farms around your area? Do you have any farmers markets
during the warm weather? If so, make friends with some of the
vendors.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Cook wrote:

> He also has American Cheese that is not processed. He
> gets cheeses from the Amish producers.

And I just learned a few months ago (taste-wise) that processed american
cheese tastes just like mild cheddar cheese. I guess/think that's what they
"process"

I'm sure you're getting the authentic natural product from the Amish.

Gary

Cage free eggs :-) dh@. Vegan 37 29-05-2014 10:04 AM
Scrambled eggs... hard or "creamy"? George Leppla General Cooking 87 16-05-2012 02:18 AM
Chinese urine-soaked "virgin boy eggs" Appetizer or entree? pavane[_4_] General Cooking 5 02-04-2012 10:42 PM
I call John K. a "fool" (was: The best scrambled eggs I've ever made) John Kuthe[_2_] General Cooking 0 13-01-2012 02:52 AM
""Dollers Free 4 u ..have fun....."" djNon_stop Wine 0 26-03-2008 06:13 PM