Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default brussel sprouts

on a whim, got some frozen brussel sprouts the other day... I haven't had
them in years... I wonder if they would go with my spinach salad? Maybe a
3-4 cooked and diced? I'm now out of spinach, actually used up the bag, so
need some extender.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 12, 7:00*pm, "Richard K." > wrote:

> on a whim, got some frozen brussel sprouts the other day... *I haven't had
> them in years... *I wonder if they would go with my spinach salad? *Maybe a
> 3-4 cooked and diced? *I'm now out of spinach, actually used up the bag, so
> need some extender.

Brussel sprouts translation - bitter little cabbages.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 20:01:44 -0500, "Richard K."
> wrote:

> on a whim, got some frozen brussel sprouts the other day... I haven't had
> them in years... I wonder if they would go with my spinach salad? Maybe a
> 3-4 cooked and diced? I'm now out of spinach, actually used up the bag, so
> need some extender.

Why are you buying frozen brussels sprouts during the season they are
fresh in the stores? Maybe they will work in a wilted spinach salad,
but I can't say I'd want to use them in a raw spinach salad. Take a
look at this recipe. Maybe it will give you an idea or two.
http://www.shutterbean.com/2010/brussels-sprout-salad/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 17:04:02 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

> On Nov 12, 7:00*pm, "Richard K." > wrote:
> >
> > on a whim, got some frozen brussel sprouts the other day... *I haven't had
> > them in years... *I wonder if they would go with my spinach salad? *Maybe a
> > 3-4 cooked and diced? *I'm now out of spinach, actually used up the bag, so
> > need some extender.
> >

> Brussel sprouts translation - bitter little cabbages.

I love them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 20:01:44 -0500, "Richard K."
> > wrote:
>
>> on a whim, got some frozen brussel sprouts the other day... I haven't
>> had
>> them in years... I wonder if they would go with my spinach salad? Maybe
>> 3-4 cooked and diced? I'm now out of spinach, actually used up the bag,
>> so
>> need some extender.
>>

> Why are you buying frozen brussels sprouts during the season they are
> fresh in the stores? Maybe they will work in a wilted spinach salad,
> but I can't say I'd want to use them in a raw spinach salad. Take a
> look at this recipe. Maybe it will give you an idea or two.
> http://www.shutterbean.com/2010/brussels-sprout-salad/

I don't think they sell them here fresh... I will look next time.

In the meantime, frozen microwaved brussel sprouts do not smell good... Not
sure I want to eat them now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/12/2012 9:06 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 17:04:02 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
>> On Nov 12, 7:00 pm, "Richard K." > wrote:
>>>
>>> on a whim, got some frozen brussel sprouts the other day... I haven't had
>>> them in years... I wonder if they would go with my spinach salad? Maybe a
>>> 3-4 cooked and diced? I'm now out of spinach, actually used up the bag, so
>>> need some extender.
>>>

>> Brussel sprouts translation - bitter little cabbages.

> I love them.

So do I. But _not_ the frozen ones.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 11/12/2012 9:06 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 17:04:02 -0800 (PST), "
>> > wrote:

>>> Brussel sprouts translation - bitter little cabbages.

>> I love them.
>>

> So do I. But _not_ the frozen ones.

I am going to consult the ex-- she has about a bizzillion cookbooks... the
frozen I got smell terrible. I don't think I can eat them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/11/2012 9:11 PM, S Viemeister wrote:

>>> Brussel sprouts translation - bitter little cabbages.

>> I love them.
>>

> So do I. But _not_ the frozen ones.

I don't mind the frozen ones, I prefer fresh, but will gladly eat the
frozen stuff.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 17:04:02 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Nov 12, 7:00*pm, "Richard K." > wrote:
>>
>> on a whim, got some frozen brussel sprouts the other day... *I haven't had
>> them in years... *I wonder if they would go with my spinach salad? *Maybe a
>> 3-4 cooked and diced? *I'm now out of spinach, actually used up the bag, so
>> need some extender.
>>

>Brussel sprouts translation - bitter little cabbages.

I've begun to think that the food preferences of each person is
dependent upon their personal mouth chemistry. I can't imagine
brussels sprouts being bitter. To me they are sweet and slightly
nutty.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/11/2012 10:29 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

>> Brussel sprouts translation - bitter little cabbages.

> I've begun to think that the food preferences of each person is
> dependent upon their personal mouth chemistry. I can't imagine
> brussels sprouts being bitter. To me they are sweet and slightly
> nutty.

The bitterness comes out in them when they are overcooked.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 21:11:48 -0500, S Viemeister
> wrote:

> On 11/12/2012 9:06 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 17:04:02 -0800 (PST), "
> > > wrote:

> >> Brussel sprouts translation - bitter little cabbages.

> > I love them.
> >

> So do I. But _not_ the frozen ones.

To be perfectly honest, I've NEVER eaten frozen ones - so I can only
guess what they are like and I don't think I'd like them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 21:22:14 -0500, "Richard K."
> wrote:

> I am going to consult the ex-- she has about a bizzillion cookbooks... the
> frozen I got smell terrible. I don't think I can eat them.

Don't!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 12, 8:11*pm, S Viemeister > wrote:

> On 11/12/2012 9:06 PM, sf wrote:> On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 17:04:02 -0800 (PST), "
>
> > wrote:
>

> >> Brussel sprouts translation - bitter little cabbages.

> > I love them.

> So do I. But _not_ the frozen ones.

I'll happily give y'all my serving.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 12, 9:35*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:

> On 12/11/2012 10:29 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>

> >> Brussel sprouts translation - bitter little cabbages.

> > I've begun to think that the food preferences of each person is
> > dependent upon their personal mouth chemistry. *I can't imagine
> > brussels sprouts being bitter. *To me they are sweet and slightly
> > nutty.

> The bitterness comes out in them when they are overcooked.

They're bitter when raw, too. At least to me they are. Even cut in
half, brushed with olive oil and placed on a hot grill for about one
minute doesn't negate that bitterness.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
On Nov 12, 9:35 pm, Dave Smith > wrote:

> On 12/11/2012 10:29 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>

> >> Brussel sprouts translation - bitter little cabbages.

> > I've begun to think that the food preferences of each person is
> > dependent upon their personal mouth chemistry. I can't imagine
> > brussels sprouts being bitter. To me they are sweet and slightly
> > nutty.

> The bitterness comes out in them when they are overcooked.

They're bitter when raw, too. At least to me they are. Even cut in
half, brushed with olive oil and placed on a hot grill for about one
minute doesn't negate that bitterness.
__________________________________----
Have you tried steaming them?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 13, 1:09*am, "Farm1" > wrote:

> > wrote in message

> > > I've begun to think that the food preferences of each person is
> > > dependent upon their personal mouth chemistry. I can't imagine
> > > brussels sprouts being bitter. To me they are sweet and slightly
> > > nutty.

> > The bitterness comes out in them when they are overcooked.

> They're bitter when raw, too. *At least to me they are. *Even cut in
> half, brushed with olive oil and placed on a hot grill for about one
> minute doesn't negate that bitterness.
> __________________________________----
> Have you tried steaming them?

It must be a genetic thing with me. I perceive them as bitter no
matter how they are prepared. But I love cabbage!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 13, 1:09 am, "Farm1" > wrote:

> > wrote in message

> > > I've begun to think that the food preferences of each person is
> > > dependent upon their personal mouth chemistry. I can't imagine
> > > brussels sprouts being bitter. To me they are sweet and slightly
> > > nutty.

> > The bitterness comes out in them when they are overcooked.

> They're bitter when raw, too. At least to me they are. Even cut in
> half, brushed with olive oil and placed on a hot grill for about one
> minute doesn't negate that bitterness.
> __________________________________----
> Have you tried steaming them?

It must be a genetic thing with me. I perceive them as bitter no
matter how they are prepared. But I love cabbage!
_________________________________
I don't like Brussel Sprouts unless they are really small and very fresh -
big ones cause me to want to upchuck so I can sympathise. And I too love
cabbage.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 17:04:02 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
>>On Nov 12, 7:00 pm, "Richard K." > wrote:
>>>
>>> on a whim, got some frozen brussel sprouts the other day... I haven't
>>> had
>>> them in years... I wonder if they would go with my spinach salad? Maybe
>>> 3-4 cooked and diced? I'm now out of spinach, actually used up the bag,
>>> so
>>> need some extender.
>>>

>>Brussel sprouts translation - bitter little cabbages.

> I've begun to think that the food preferences of each person is
> dependent upon their personal mouth chemistry. I can't imagine
> brussels sprouts being bitter. To me they are sweet and slightly
> nutty.
> Janet US

Even undercooked, I find them bitter. But okay once in a blue moon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 13, 1:09 am, "Farm1" > wrote:
__________________________________----
> Have you tried steaming them?

It must be a genetic thing with me. I perceive them as bitter no
matter how they are prepared.

---
same here!

They are cute little things though. I like prying the leaves off... I
think I like that more than actually eating them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 21:22:14 -0500, "Richard K."
> > wrote:
>
>> I am going to consult the ex-- she has about a bizzillion cookbooks...
>> the
>> frozen I got smell terrible. I don't think I can eat them.

> Don't!

They are for the birds. Now, literally.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 13, 1:27*am, "Richard K." > wrote:

> > wrote in message

> On Nov 13, 1:09 am, "Farm1" > wrote:
> *__________________________________
> Have you tried steaming them?
>
> It must be a genetic thing with me. *I perceive them as bitter no
> matter how they are prepared.
>

> same here!
>
> They are cute little things though. *I like prying the leaves off... *I
> think I like that more than actually eating them.

I call them sulphur bombs. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 18:06:39 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 20:01:44 -0500, "Richard K."
> wrote:
>
>> on a whim, got some frozen brussel sprouts the other day... I haven't had
>> them in years... I wonder if they would go with my spinach salad? Maybe a
>> 3-4 cooked and diced? I'm now out of spinach, actually used up the bag, so
>> need some extender.
>>

>Why are you buying frozen brussels sprouts during the season they are
>fresh in the stores?

I only buy them frozen- or at a farm stand. [haven't grown them in
20 years] Because I have *never* seen decent fresh brussel sprouts
in a store. They are like green beans, IMO-- Grow them or buy them
frozen.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/12/2012 10:29 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 17:04:02 -0800 (PST), "

> I've begun to think that the food preferences of each person is
> dependent upon their personal mouth chemistry. I can't imagine
> brussels sprouts being bitter. To me they are sweet and slightly
> nutty.

Sprouts are often overcooked, and will taste bitter and stink.
My husband thought he hated them, because he had only ever tasted
boiled-to-death ones. He likes them now, and given a choice of
vegetables, will often request brussels sprouts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/13/2012 2:22 AM, Farm1 wrote:

> I don't like Brussel Sprouts unless they are really small and very fresh -
> big ones cause me to want to upchuck so I can sympathise. And I too love
> cabbage.

Yes, the small ones taste the sweetest - when I grew my own, I picked
them much smaller than the ones sold in the shops.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 17:04:02 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
>>On Nov 12, 7:00 pm, "Richard K." > wrote:
>>>
>>> on a whim, got some frozen brussel sprouts the other day... I haven't
>>> had
>>> them in years... I wonder if they would go with my spinach salad? Maybe
>>> 3-4 cooked and diced? I'm now out of spinach, actually used up the bag,
>>> so
>>> need some extender.
>>>

>>Brussel sprouts translation - bitter little cabbages.

> I've begun to think that the food preferences of each person is
> dependent upon their personal mouth chemistry. I can't imagine
> brussels sprouts being bitter. To me they are sweet and slightly
> nutty.
> Janet US

you are what you eat!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13/11/2012 12:38 AM, sf wrote:

>>> I love them.
>>>

>> So do I. But _not_ the frozen ones.

> To be perfectly honest, I've NEVER eaten frozen ones - so I can only
> guess what they are like and I don't think I'd like them.

I was wary of them. I was a recent convert to Brussels Sprouts, after
having learned how good they can be when they are not overcooked. My
wife had tried the frozen type somewhere and reported that they were
surprisingly good. I tried them and I was surprised.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/13/2012 7:29 AM, Pico Rico wrote:
> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 17:04:02 -0800 (PST), "
>> > wrote:

>>> Brussel sprouts translation - bitter little cabbages.

>> I've begun to think that the food preferences of each person is
>> dependent upon their personal mouth chemistry. I can't imagine
>> brussels sprouts being bitter. To me they are sweet and slightly
>> nutty.
>> Janet US

> you are what you eat!

Which means I'm easy, fast, and cheap.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 11/12/2012 10:29 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 17:04:02 -0800 (PST), "

>> I've begun to think that the food preferences of each person is
>> dependent upon their personal mouth chemistry. I can't imagine
>> brussels sprouts being bitter. To me they are sweet and slightly
>> nutty.
>>

> Sprouts are often overcooked, and will taste bitter and stink.
> My husband thought he hated them, because he had only ever tasted
> boiled-to-death ones. He likes them now, and given a choice of vegetables,
> will often request brussels sprouts.

I can repeat *exactly* every word you have written there He loves them
too now

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 09:01:41 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> >> So do I. But _not_ the frozen ones.

> > To be perfectly honest, I've NEVER eaten frozen ones - so I can only
> > guess what they are like and I don't think I'd like them.
> >

> I was wary of them. I was a recent convert to Brussels Sprouts, after
> having learned how good they can be when they are not overcooked. My
> wife had tried the frozen type somewhere and reported that they were
> surprisingly good. I tried them and I was surprised.

Arrugh... was it a good surprise or a bad one?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 22:27:03 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

> > > I've begun to think that the food preferences of each person is
> > > dependent upon their personal mouth chemistry. *I can't imagine
> > > brussels sprouts being bitter. *To me they are sweet and slightly
> > > nutty.

> > The bitterness comes out in them when they are overcooked.
> >

> They're bitter when raw, too. At least to me they are. Even cut in
> half, brushed with olive oil and placed on a hot grill for about one
> minute doesn't negate that bitterness.

They were grown under the wrong conditions. This article says
brussels sprouts will be bitter if they were grown in hot or dry
weather. http://bonnieplants.com/growing/grow...ssels-sprouts/
I live in the Pacific Coast fog belt and produce like that is local.
Also, the brussels sprouts in my stores are only about an inch in
diameter, which I think helps the situation too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 07:43:16 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> Because I have *never* seen decent fresh brussel sprouts
> in a store. They are like green beans, IMO-- Grow them or buy them
> frozen.

Sorry. West Coasters often forget the deplorable conditions the rest
of you have to endure at the grocery store.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/13/2012 8:51 AM, sf wrote:

>> >I was wary of them. I was a recent convert to Brussels Sprouts, after
>> >having learned how good they can be when they are not overcooked. My
>> >wife had tried the frozen type somewhere and reported that they were
>> >surprisingly good. I tried them and I was surprised.

> Arrugh... was it a good surprise or a bad one?

From the FWIW department... I used to grow Brussels Sprouts and found
out that if I left them on the stalk and didn't harvest them until after
a hard frost they tasted a lot better. Sprouts picked before that
tended to be bitter.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-11-13 15:04:10 +0000, sf said:

> On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 07:43:16 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
> wrote:
>
>> Because I have *never* seen decent fresh brussel sprouts
>> in a store. They are like green beans, IMO-- Grow them or buy them
>> frozen.

> Sorry. West Coasters often forget the deplorable conditions the rest
> of you have to endure at the grocery store.

I guess airplanes don't make it to the midlands anymore.

They wife has starting baking these things in the toaster oven she puts
a vinaigrette of sorts over them. Holy moly what a revelation. I love
these things.

Also very tasty when packed for a lunch at work.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-11-13 02:22:14 +0000, Richard K. said:

> I am going to consult the ex-- she has about a bizzillion cookbooks...
> the frozen I got smell terrible. I don't think I can eat them.

I don't think it's necessarily the frozen aspect, but possible the
cooking aspect. They can be sulpheric little devils. Why they haven't
been when we broil/bake in the toaster oven recently I can't say.
Maybe the wife pre-treats them or something.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 07:43:16 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
> wrote:
>
> > Because I have *never* seen decent fresh brussel sprouts
> > in a store. They are like green beans, IMO-- Grow them or buy them
> > frozen.

> Sorry. West Coasters often forget the deplorable conditions the rest
> of you have to endure at the grocery store.

I think it's pretty much just the other left coast that has sad grocery
store conditions. Here in Texas there is generally an abundance of fresh
produce, much of it locally produced in Texas, otherwise fresh up from
Mexico in the off season and all of it good quality. Oddly enough, even
in "blue" CA, the produce mostly comes from "red" areas of the state.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 09:05:29 -0600, George Leppla
> wrote:

> > Arrugh... was it a good surprise or a bad one?

> From the FWIW department... I used to grow Brussels Sprouts and found
> out that if I left them on the stalk and didn't harvest them until after
> a hard frost they tasted a lot better. Sprouts picked before that
> tended to be bitter.

I guess that's why they're called Winter vegetables!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 17:04:02 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
>> On Nov 12, 7:00 pm, "Richard K." > wrote:
>>> on a whim, got some frozen brussel sprouts the other day... I haven't had
>>> them in years... I wonder if they would go with my spinach salad? Maybe a
>>> 3-4 cooked and diced? I'm now out of spinach, actually used up the bag, so
>>> need some extender.
>>>

>> Brussel sprouts translation - bitter little cabbages.

> I've begun to think that the food preferences of each person is
> dependent upon their personal mouth chemistry. I can't imagine
> brussels sprouts being bitter. To me they are sweet and slightly
> nutty.
> Janet US

I have also begun to think that we must react differently to
various flavors. We know about cilantro, but I think that is the
tip of the iceberg. It also probably explains why I detest
turnips and similar things.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> On 12/11/2012 10:29 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>

>>> Brussel sprouts translation - bitter little cabbages.

>> I've begun to think that the food preferences of each person is
>> dependent upon their personal mouth chemistry. I can't imagine
>> brussels sprouts being bitter. To me they are sweet and slightly
>> nutty.

> The bitterness comes out in them when they are overcooked.

Hmmm. Roasted BS, most likely overcooked, aren't bitter--and I
seem to be pretty sensitive to bitterness in foods.