Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default brussel sprouts

On Tuesday, November 13, 2012 12:01:59 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:

> I can understand why some people hate Brussels Sprouts. Like myself,
>
> they probably had them too many times where they had been way overcooked
>
> and developed that nasty tastes that BSs get when they are overcooked.
>

> I also used to hate parsnips. They were just plan nasty, but then I
>
> tried them roasted and I found them to be a whole other vegetable, a
>
> very tasty one.
>

> For years I disliked squash. Over the last 10 years or so I have
>
> developed a strong appreciation for roasted squash. In fact, we had some
>
> on the weekend I am in the middle of cooking up some soup with the half
>
> that was leftover.
>

> Turnip..... nope. It is still disgusting.

I'm going to the grocery store Wednesday and will pick up a parsnip. Cut it in half, sprinkle with oil and salt and pepper?? Roast at what temperature for how long? Does it need to be peeled? I've never had parsnips and am willing to try one.

No, not a fan of turnips either but love turnip greens. My mother loved turnips and I never could see why.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 22:06:30 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>
> snip
>>
>>I think we need to understand what is meant by 'turnips'. Here in
>>Scotland, what I know as a rutabaga (we call them swedes) they call
>>turnips
>>
>> To me, a turnip in one of those whitish/purplish things with a vile
>>flavour.
>>Turnip: http://tinyurl.com/dxfqcqh
>>
>>Here is our swede: http://tinyurl.com/bo43wnc
>>
>>These I love, mashed with butter, added to stew or even roasted!
>>

> You have them correctly identified. The way that I best remember
> turnips is a raw turnip sandwich. I don't know if it came from an
> early farm life, but my maternal relatives ate sandwiches of fresh
> garden produce. Radish, cucumbers, turnip, kohlrabi, green onions,
> regular onions, tomatoes -- I'm sure there are more. It was just two
> slices of buttered bread with the vegetable and salt and pepper. I
> thought they were delicious. I still make those sandwiches when I can
> get them either from my garden or from a farmer's market. I can only
> imagine how they must have tasted with fresh homemade bread and
> freshly churned butter. )

Hmmm I do the bread and I am looking at the butter ... We have tomatoes and
cucumbers in sandwiches, and when I was a child we had slice apples

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
.com...
> On 11/13/2012 6:18 PM, Christine Dabney wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 17:14:01 -0500, Nancy Young
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I just don't hear people be so strong about hating mustard or the
>>> other cruciferous vegetables the way brussels sprouts almost always
>>> come up.

>> Or beets.

> (laugh) I did start to mention beets and thought better of it.

Quick hide before Barb catches you ...

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/13/2012 7:14 PM, Richard K. wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>
>> Well... this is with brussels sprouts
>>
>> Jill

> you know, that sounds good. But not with bitter frozen divorcee brussel
> sprouts.

I used frozen sprouts the last time I made this. I steamed them a
little to thaw them out, then cut them in half. Tasted just fine to me,
but then I love brussels sprouts (even the frozen ones, as long as they
aren't boiled to mush).

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> Nancy Young > wrote:
>
>>I just don't hear people be so strong about hating mustard or the
>>other cruciferous vegetables the way brussels sprouts almost always
>>come up.

> Or beets.

It seems like there are general dislikes for long lists of foods and
there are specific dislikes for single foods. Beets, parsnips, brussels
sprouts seem to be disliked specifically by a lot of people.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George M. Middius wrote:

> WF sometimes has them still on the stalk. The sprouts should be
> fresher, but I wonder if the stalk has any use.

All parts of cabbage family plants are edible. Whether any one part
tastes good enough to bother eating is another story.

I thinly slice broccoli stems. You could try it and see if its fit for
humans.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger wrote:

> It seems like there are general dislikes for long lists of foods and
> there are specific dislikes for single foods. Beets, parsnips, brussels
> sprouts seem to be disliked specifically by a lot of people.

Isn't it appalling? It's all so ... unscientific.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger wrote:

> I thinly slice broccoli stems. You could try it and see if its fit for
> humans.

I always do that. Just peel off the tougher outer skin the the insides are
delicious.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/14/2012 11:16 AM, Doug Freyburger wrote:
> George M. Middius wrote:
>>
>> WF sometimes has them still on the stalk. The sprouts should be
>> fresher, but I wonder if the stalk has any use.

> All parts of cabbage family plants are edible. Whether any one part
> tastes good enough to bother eating is another story.
>
> I thinly slice broccoli stems. You could try it and see if its fit for
> humans.

Seems to me the stalk could be thinly sliced and tossed in a bag in the
freezer. Along with broccoli stalks, bits of carrot, the odd end of
onions, celery stalks. Pretty much the makings of seasonings for
homemade vegetable or chicken stock.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:

>>> It must be a genetic thing with me. I perceive them as bitter no
>>> matter how they are prepared. But I love cabbage!
>>> _________________________________
>>> I don't like Brussel Sprouts unless they are really small and very fresh -
>>> big ones cause me to want to upchuck so I can sympathise. And I too love
>>> cabbage.
>>>

>> Speaking of really small BS (and I agree), lately I have seen ones
>> that are almost the size of a softball. Ugh. I like them to be a
>> size that can be popped into my mouth.

> have you seen them on the stalk for sale in the grocery store? It's
> something like a slender Christmas tree with the largest sprouts on
> the bottom and smallest at the top.
> I can't grow them. Our Fall weather encourages aphids and any cabbage
> relative gets positively covered with them.
> Janet US

Yes, I've been seeing them and am gearing up to buying a stalk.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 10:42:38 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>> On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 17:04:02 -0800 (PST), "

>>> I've begun to think that the food preferences of each person is
>>> dependent upon their personal mouth chemistry. I can't imagine
>>> brussels sprouts being bitter. To me they are sweet and slightly
>>> nutty.
>>> Janet US

>> I have also begun to think that we must react differently to
>> various flavors. We know about cilantro, but I think that is the
>> tip of the iceberg. It also probably explains why I detest
>> turnips and similar things.

> love all of those veggies and more. I can't afford the little puny
> things they sell here, the price is outrageous.
> Janet US

I should say that I like cilantro, but still won't use bunches of
it, which are sometimes called for in Thai recipes. I perceive
turnips etc. as having a somewhat bitter flavor, which is why I
dislike them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Richard K. wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>
>> I have also begun to think that we must react differently to various
>> flavors. We know about cilantro, but I think that is the tip of the
>> iceberg. It also probably explains why I detest turnips and similar
>> things.

> interesting... and odd that something one day that tastes good suddenly
> tastes "bad" another day-- or vice versa.

The only experience I have had with changing tastes after my taste
in food matured is with the aforementioned cilantro. I really
disliked it, then started tolerating a small amount, and now like
it in reasonable quantities.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Richard K. wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>> Dave Smith wrote:
>>> The bitterness comes out in them when they are overcooked.

>> Hmmm. Roasted BS, most likely overcooked, aren't bitter--

> lol-- "roasted BS" lot of that here! And sometimes bitter.

LOL! Alack and alas.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> I can go along with that. I like vegetables. Love brussels sprouts,
> for one.
>
> But when I see people would voluntarily and happily eat turnips or
> rutabagas, I wonder what am I missing, they taste horrid to me.
>
> For that reason, while I don't understand why people despise brussels
> sprouts, I figure there's more to it.
>
> nancy

There must be. The more I think about it, the more sense it makes
to me. Unfortunately, a lot of LC substitutes for starches
include things like turnips. Ugh.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> On 13/11/2012 12:31 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> I can go along with that. I like vegetables. Love brussels sprouts,
>> for one.
>>
>> But when I see people would voluntarily and happily eat turnips or
>> rutabagas, I wonder what am I missing, they taste horrid to me.
>>
>> For that reason, while I don't understand why people despise brussels
>> sprouts, I figure there's more to it.
>>

> I can understand why some people hate Brussels Sprouts. Like myself,
> they probably had them too many times where they had been way overcooked
> and developed that nasty tastes that BSs get when they are overcooked.
>
> I also used to hate parsnips. They were just plan nasty, but then I
> tried them roasted and I found them to be a whole other vegetable, a
> very tasty one.
>
> For years I disliked squash. Over the last 10 years or so I have
> developed a strong appreciation for roasted squash. In fact, we had some
> on the weekend I am in the middle of cooking up some soup with the half
> that was leftover.
>
> Turnip..... nope. It is still disgusting.

I do like parsnips. Roasting squash would concentrate its flavors....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> True, but I was assuming that they had been boiled. I find parsnips to
> be bitter when boiled, but sweet and tasty when roasted, and the more
> roasted they are the better they taste.
>
> I am thinking about trying roasted beets. I don't mind beets but my wife
> hates them. They are one of the few vegetables that she won't eat. I am
> wondering if they would be more palatable to her if they were roasted.

Roasting does seem to bring out the best in lots of veggies. Is
your wife related to Barb?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>> But when I see people would voluntarily and happily eat turnips or
>> rutabagas, I wonder what am I missing, they taste horrid to me.

> I'll offer you a deal. I give you my bell peppers and parsnips. You
> give me your turnips and rutties. Everyone's happy.
>
>> For that reason, while I don't understand why people despise brussels
>> sprouts, I figure there's more to it.

> Different members of the cabbage family have different degrees of
> bitterness. I appear to like bitter more than average and that's likely
> to be part of why I like brussels sprouts. I also like bitter
> brocollini and broco-rabe more than regular brocolli probably for the
> same reason. I have a further theory on bitterness. Kids like bitter a
> lot less than adults. I bet some people would like their veggies better
> once grown up but refuse to try them remembering their childhood
> experiences. The stronger the refusal the more I figure they are a
> picky eater.
>
> Different members of the cabbage family have different amounts of the
> chemical that gives mustard and horseradish their hotness. Mustard is a
> distant member of the cabbage family, as are turnips. I've never seen
> anyone develop a tolerance for this type of hotness so I suspect people
> are born with some level of tolerance to it. As far back as I can
> remember it's been clear I have a higher than average tolerance to it.
> If you have a very strong reaction to the hotness of mustard,
> horseradish and wasabi you might not like brussels sprouts without
> specifically noticing that chemical. I can taste it in raw brussels
> sprouts. Only people with very high tolerance for bitter plus very high
> tolerance for horseradish-hotness would even consider eating a raw
> brussel sprout. They are too strong for me so most would not tolerate a
> single bite.
>
> So those are two reasons someone might dislike the entire family of
> veggies. or are they actually two views of the same chemical and
> therefore two views of the same reason?

Oh, interesting. I do dislike the smooth Dijon mustard, Chinese
mustard, wasabi, etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." wrote:

> Janet Bostwick wrote:
> > I can't grow them. Our Fall weather encourages aphids and any cabbage
> > relative gets positively covered with them.
> > Janet US

> Yes, I've been seeing them and am gearing up to buying a stalk.

Thought you two might be interested in this. I heard it years ago so just
googled a link for you:

http://insects.about.com/od/coolandu...sandaphids.htm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Google really sucks for finding posted recipes on newsgroups, doesn't
> it? Basically it's escalloped (or more accurately, au gratin). Let me
> try to wing it for you:
>
> Mix breadcrumbs with grated parmesan cheese and melted butter for the
> topping. Make a basic white sauce. Slice the brussels sprouts in half
> and place in a two quart casserole dish. Pour the white sauce over the
> sprouts. Sprinkle with the breadcrumb mixture. Bake at 400F for about
> 15-20 minutes or until browned and bubbly.
>
> Jill

I was reminded of how posts on rfc crop up on sites. I just ran
into this the other day when I was looking for information on
something and only found my own musings. If you searched and
didn't find that recipe, I wonder whether there is a lag... or
whether the sites have desisted from their practices.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 17:14:01 -0500, Nancy Young
> > wrote:
>
>> I just don't hear people be so strong about hating mustard or the
>> other cruciferous vegetables the way brussels sprouts almost always
>> come up.
>>
>> nancy

> Or beets.
>
> Christine

Hmmm. I like beets, but perhaps that explains why some other
folks despise them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." wrote:

> The only experience I have had with changing tastes after my taste
> in food matured is with the aforementioned cilantro. I really
> disliked it, then started tolerating a small amount, and now like
> it in reasonable quantities.

I've never used cilantro. No recipe I've made ever called for it.

I made potato salad once and mis-calculated the ratio of fresh vs dried
dill. The dill was so overpowering (and disgusting) that I've avoided
recipes that call for it ever since....several years now.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 08:46:56 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>"Jean B." wrote:
>>
>> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> > I can't grow them. Our Fall weather encourages aphids and any cabbage
>> > relative gets positively covered with them.
>> > Janet US

>> Yes, I've been seeing them and am gearing up to buying a stalk.

>Thought you two might be interested in this. I heard it years ago so just
>googled a link for you:
>
>http://insects.about.com/od/coolandu...sandaphids.htm

Yes, I knew that. It's very interesting except for those years when
the aphids are extremely numerous in the trees that overhang our deck
and back yard. Walking there becomes impossible as more and more
fallen leaves (dropping because of aphid infestation) begin to stick
to the bottom of your shoes and you grow taller. ( I'm talking great
wads of leaves) Unfortunately the dog has to go out there to do his
business and the only way to clean the leaves and sticky aphid honey
off his paws is to soak and scrub. I can't spray for aphids because
the trees overhang a live creek and that's a no-no.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 17:59:16 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>Google really sucks for finding posted recipes on newsgroups, doesn't
>it? Basically it's escalloped (or more accurately, au gratin). Let me
>try to wing it for you:
>
>Mix breadcrumbs with grated parmesan cheese and melted butter for the
>topping. Make a basic white sauce. Slice the brussels sprouts in half
>and place in a two quart casserole dish. Pour the white sauce over the
>sprouts. Sprinkle with the breadcrumb mixture. Bake at 400F for about
>15-20 minutes or until browned and bubbly.

Ooh I like this one a lot... will have to make it, thanks
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> For that reason, while I don't understand why people despise brussels
>> sprouts, I figure there's more to it.

> There must be. The more I think about it, the more sense it makes
> to me. Unfortunately, a lot of LC substitutes for starches
> include things like turnips. Ugh.

If you do the arithmatic the substitute for the calories in concentrated
starch foods comes from the extra fat. But that's a technicality.

Depending on your carb quota your carb sources can range from the
rounded-down half gram in a cup of coffee through oatmeal and rutabagas.
Check out jicama and all of the other root veggies. Plus for bulk have
more raw low carb veggies on the pre-meal salad.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
> "Jean B." wrote:
>> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>> I can't grow them. Our Fall weather encourages aphids and any cabbage
>>> relative gets positively covered with them.
>>> Janet US

>> Yes, I've been seeing them and am gearing up to buying a stalk.

> Thought you two might be interested in this. I heard it years ago so just
> googled a link for you:
>
> http://insects.about.com/od/coolandu...sandaphids.htm

Interesting! Right now I am siccing ladybugs on aphids....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
> "Jean B." wrote:
>> The only experience I have had with changing tastes after my taste
>> in food matured is with the aforementioned cilantro. I really
>> disliked it, then started tolerating a small amount, and now like
>> it in reasonable quantities.

> I've never used cilantro. No recipe I've made ever called for it.
>
> I made potato salad once and mis-calculated the ratio of fresh vs dried
> dill. The dill was so overpowering (and disgusting) that I've avoided
> recipes that call for it ever since....several years now.
>
> G.

Wow! Never used cilantro? I see that in so many cuisines.

Funny how ODing on something turns you off that particular thing.
A couple of months ago, I had something that had WAY too much
blue (or bleu, depending) in it, and I am now turned off by blue
cheese. Many years ago, I had something with way too much goat
cheese in it, and I was not into goat cheese for many years
thereafter. (Imagine enchiladas stuffed with straight goat
cheese--that was NOT what I was expecting when I ordered them!)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>>> For that reason, while I don't understand why people despise brussels
>>> sprouts, I figure there's more to it.

>> There must be. The more I think about it, the more sense it makes
>> to me. Unfortunately, a lot of LC substitutes for starches
>> include things like turnips. Ugh.

> If you do the arithmatic the substitute for the calories in concentrated
> starch foods comes from the extra fat. But that's a technicality.
>
> Depending on your carb quota your carb sources can range from the
> rounded-down half gram in a cup of coffee through oatmeal and rutabagas.
> Check out jicama and all of the other root veggies. Plus for bulk have
> more raw low carb veggies on the pre-meal salad.

I have not yet explored the possibilities presented by jicama--or
by daikon, which I think could be rather useful.

Yes, luckily, I love lots of veggies, and I am having a good salad
almost every day.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> Doug Freyburger wrote:
>
>> Depending on your carb quota your carb sources can range from the
>> rounded-down half gram in a cup of coffee through oatmeal and rutabagas.
>> Check out jicama and all of the other root veggies. Plus for bulk have
>> more raw low carb veggies on the pre-meal salad.
>>

> I have not yet explored the possibilities presented by jicama--or
> by daikon, which I think could be rather useful.

I'll go through the grocery and make a point to buy one type of veggie I
have never tried or not had in the last several years. Thus I keep my
variety high. I end up trying all sorts of obscure root veggies over
time. Celery root - So far I've only used it julliene raw on a salad.
Good but I've seen it roasted on TV.

> Yes, luckily, I love lots of veggies, and I am having a good salad
> almost every day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger wrote:
> I'll go through the grocery and make a point to buy one type of veggie I
> have never tried or not had in the last several years. Thus I keep my
> variety high. I end up trying all sorts of obscure root veggies over
> time. Celery root - So far I've only used it julliene raw on a salad.
> Good but I've seen it roasted on TV.

I'd have to do veggies that I hadn't had recently. I have had
most of them--or at least most that one can find without a hunt.
Also, that would be dictated by season to some degree. I
associate celery root with remoulade. (I think someone will
probably shoot darts at me about now.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 21:31:31 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

> I associate celery root with remoulade. (I think someone will
> probably shoot darts at me about now.)

Not me. Rémoulade isn't part of my normal food experience, including
restaurants... nor is celery root. I know I've seen fennel from time
to time, but I can't say I've ever seen celery root.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 18, 5:51*am, "Jean B." > wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
> > Google really sucks for finding posted recipes on newsgroups, doesn't
> > it? *Basically it's escalloped (or more accurately, au gratin). *Let me
> > try to wing it for you:

> > Mix breadcrumbs with grated parmesan cheese and melted butter for the
> > topping. *Make a basic white sauce. *Slice the brussels sprouts in half
> > and place in a two quart casserole dish. *Pour the white sauce over the
> > sprouts. *Sprinkle with the breadcrumb mixture. *Bake at 400F for about
> > 15-20 minutes or until browned and bubbly.

> > Jill

> I was reminded of how posts on rfc crop up on sites. *I just ran
> into this the other day when I was looking for information on
> something and only found my own musings. *If you searched and
> didn't find that recipe, I wonder whether there is a lag... *or
> whether the sites have desisted from their practices.

There is one recipe I posted years ago that only certain specific
keywords will bring up, even if I'm searching that one specific group
on googlegroups.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 20, 11:09*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 21:31:31 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
> > I associate celery root with remoulade. *(I think someone will
> > probably shoot darts at me about now.)

> Not me. *R moulade isn't part of my normal food experience, including
> restaurants... nor is celery root. *I know I've seen fennel from time
> to time, but I can't say I've ever seen celery root.

You might have thought it was some other sort of root vegetable. I've
seen it in local grocery stores, but more likely in Lunardi than a
Lucky. It has a beigey skit, but what stands out is its ton of
rootlets or rootlet stubs.

Next time you're in Union Square you can order the celery root salad
at Le Central. We ate there years ago, as a break from shopping on a
Saturday. Turned out to be Kentucky Derby day, when a dapper short
black man came in and ordered lunch at the bar. Chatting pleasantly
with the bartender, he turned out to be the mayor, Willie Brown. No
bodyguard or retinue.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 12, 7:00*pm, "Richard K." > wrote:
> on a whim, got some frozen brussel sprouts the other day... *I haven't had
> them in years... *I wonder if they would go with my spinach salad? *Maybe a
> 3-4 cooked and diced? *I'm now out of spinach, actually used up the bag, so
> need some extender.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 21:31:31 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> I associate celery root with remoulade. (I think someone will
>> probably shoot darts at me about now.)

> Not me. Rémoulade isn't part of my normal food experience, including
> restaurants... nor is celery root. I know I've seen fennel from time
> to time, but I can't say I've ever seen celery root.

I see both. I can't say that I gravitate toward either, but if I
saw a recipe that cried out for one or the other, I would buy it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

spamtrap1888 wrote:
> On Nov 18, 5:51 am, "Jean B." > wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>> Google really sucks for finding posted recipes on newsgroups, doesn't
>>> it? Basically it's escalloped (or more accurately, au gratin). Let me
>>> try to wing it for you:
>>> Mix breadcrumbs with grated parmesan cheese and melted butter for the
>>> topping. Make a basic white sauce. Slice the brussels sprouts in half
>>> and place in a two quart casserole dish. Pour the white sauce over the
>>> sprouts. Sprinkle with the breadcrumb mixture. Bake at 400F for about
>>> 15-20 minutes or until browned and bubbly.
>>> Jill

>> I was reminded of how posts on rfc crop up on sites. I just ran
>> into this the other day when I was looking for information on
>> something and only found my own musings. If you searched and
>> didn't find that recipe, I wonder whether there is a lag... or
>> whether the sites have desisted from their practices.

> There is one recipe I posted years ago that only certain specific
> keywords will bring up, even if I'm searching that one specific group
> on googlegroups.

I assume you also try a normal google (or other) search?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

No. Don't use frozen. Please.

Fresh sprouts, kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, olive oil, parmesan,
lemon juice, broiler.

Broil till golden brown and delicious, stirring occasionally.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 14/08/2013 12:01 AM, Anony Mouse wrote:
> No. Don't use frozen. Please.
>
> Fresh sprouts, kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, olive oil, parmesan,
> lemon juice, broiler.
>
> Broil till golden brown and delicious, stirring occasionally.

Of all frozen vegetables, Brussels Sprouts are my favourite.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/14/2013 1:53 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 14/08/2013 12:01 AM, Anony Mouse wrote:
>> No. Don't use frozen. Please.
>>
>> Fresh sprouts, kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, olive oil, parmesan,
>> lemon juice, broiler.
>>
>> Broil till golden brown and delicious, stirring occasionally.
>>

> Of all frozen vegetables, Brussels Sprouts are my favourite.

Frozen Brussels Sprouts are not bad but my favorite frozen vegs are peas
or Lima beans. Frozen peas indeed are as good as fresh to me and it has
always been maintained that home-grown Sprouts are best after they have
been frosted in the Fall. My favorite recipe with Brussels Sprouts is
very simple: just blanch them and serve with butter, olive oil or even
butter substitute with a sprinkling of marjoram.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 17:23:09 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

>On 8/14/2013 1:53 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 14/08/2013 12:01 AM, Anony Mouse wrote:
>>> No. Don't use frozen. Please.
>>>
>>> Fresh sprouts, kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, olive oil, parmesan,
>>> lemon juice, broiler.
>>>
>>> Broil till golden brown and delicious, stirring occasionally.
>>>

>> Of all frozen vegetables, Brussels Sprouts are my favourite.

>Frozen Brussels Sprouts are not bad but my favorite frozen vegs are peas
>or Lima beans. Frozen peas indeed are as good as fresh to me

Yes, peas are the one vegetable I don't mind frozen.

> and it has
>always been maintained that home-grown Sprouts are best after they have
>been frosted in the Fall.

Parsnips and Kale benefit from a good frost too (once the plants are
mature).

>My favorite recipe with Brussels Sprouts is
>very simple: just blanch them and serve with butter, olive oil or even
>butter substitute with a sprinkling of marjoram.

I like to halve brussel sprouts, steam them lightly, then fried in
butter. Nice with scallops as well:
http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/s...ussels-sprouts
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...d-Bacon-108676