Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 'Meatless Mondays': LA urges residents to turn vegetarian one day a week

I'd prefer Veal-less Veekdays... Can you really legislate how people eat?
I suppose it does make some people think about it... but doesn't really seem
that it will do much other than make create a meat eater and libertarian
backlash.
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...ay-a-week?lite

"Los Angeles is hoping to persuade people to become vegetarian - at least
one day per week. Under a resolution unanimously approved by the city
council this week, all future Mondays in the City of Angels have been
declared "Meatless Mondays."

It's part of an international campaign to cut down on meat consumption for
health and environmental reasons.

Both the spiritual home of the hamburger and a haven for the
health-obsessed, Los Angeles became the largest city in the nation to
support the Meatless Monday campaign. The nonprofit initiative, started in
2003, is associated with Johns Hopkins University's public health school.

Councilwoman Jan Perry, who introduced the motion with Councilman Ed Reyes,
noted the environmental impacts of meat production, and she emphasized that
a high-meat diet has been linked to health problems such as colon, prostate,
kidney and breast cancers, as well as heart disease.

"Eating less meat can prevent and even reverse some of our nation's most
common illnesses," Perry said.

"We've become disconnected in some ways from the simple truth that our
health is directly affected by the foods we eat,'' she added.

Her motion posted 12-0 in a council session Friday.

Reyes said it is easy for individuals to feel helpless in the face of issues
as big as global warming or the obesity epidemic, "but the small changes we
make every day can have a tremendous impact. That's why this 'Meatless
Monday' resolution is important. Together we can better our health, the
animals and the environment, one plate at a time.''

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Nov 2012 06:23:43 -0500, "Richard K."
> wrote:

> I'd prefer Veal-less Veekdays... Can you really legislate how people eat?
> I suppose it does make some people think about it... but doesn't really seem
> that it will do much other than make create a meat eater and libertarian
> backlash.
> http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...ay-a-week?lite
>

> "Los Angeles is hoping to persuade people to become vegetarian - at least
> one day per week. Under a resolution unanimously approved by the city
> council this week, all future Mondays in the City of Angels have been
> declared "Meatless Mondays."
>
> It's part of an international campaign to cut down on meat consumption for
> health and environmental reasons.
>
> Both the spiritual home of the hamburger and a haven for the
> health-obsessed, Los Angeles became the largest city in the nation to
> support the Meatless Monday campaign. The nonprofit initiative, started in
> 2003, is associated with Johns Hopkins University's public health school.
>
> Councilwoman Jan Perry, who introduced the motion with Councilman Ed Reyes,
> noted the environmental impacts of meat production, and she emphasized that
> a high-meat diet has been linked to health problems such as colon, prostate,
> kidney and breast cancers, as well as heart disease.
>
> "Eating less meat can prevent and even reverse some of our nation's most
> common illnesses," Perry said.
>
> "We've become disconnected in some ways from the simple truth that our
> health is directly affected by the foods we eat,'' she added.
>
> Her motion posted 12-0 in a council session Friday.
>
> Reyes said it is easy for individuals to feel helpless in the face of issues
> as big as global warming or the obesity epidemic, "but the small changes we
> make every day can have a tremendous impact. That's why this 'Meatless
> Monday' resolution is important. Together we can better our health, the
> animals and the environment, one plate at a time.''

I have no idea why City Councils waste their time doing this when they
have streets to repair and keep clean. Going meatless one or more
days per week has been a trend, at least in California, for quite some
time now. You'll see it more in the under 40 crowd. They are trying
to eat healthier; based on what they hear the Dr's are telling their
aging parents about cutting back on starches, animal fats and sugar...
and it helps the bottom line at the grocery store too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/10/2012 12:56 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Nov 2012 06:23:43 -0500, "Richard K."
> > wrote:
>
>> I'd prefer Veal-less Veekdays... Can you really legislate how people eat?
>> I suppose it does make some people think about it... but doesn't really seem
>> that it will do much other than make create a meat eater and libertarian
>> backlash.
>> http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...ay-a-week?lite
>>

>> "Los Angeles is hoping to persuade people to become vegetarian - at least
>> one day per week. Under a resolution unanimously approved by the city
>> council this week, all future Mondays in the City of Angels have been
>> declared "Meatless Mondays."
>>
>> It's part of an international campaign to cut down on meat consumption for
>> health and environmental reasons.
>>
>> Both the spiritual home of the hamburger and a haven for the
>> health-obsessed, Los Angeles became the largest city in the nation to
>> support the Meatless Monday campaign. The nonprofit initiative, started in
>> 2003, is associated with Johns Hopkins University's public health school.
>>
>> Councilwoman Jan Perry, who introduced the motion with Councilman Ed Reyes,
>> noted the environmental impacts of meat production, and she emphasized that
>> a high-meat diet has been linked to health problems such as colon, prostate,
>> kidney and breast cancers, as well as heart disease.
>>
>> "Eating less meat can prevent and even reverse some of our nation's most
>> common illnesses," Perry said.

(snipped)

> I have no idea why City Councils waste their time doing this when they
> have streets to repair and keep clean. Going meatless one or more
> days per week has been a trend, at least in California, for quite some
> time now. You'll see it more in the under 40 crowd. They are trying
> to eat healthier; based on what they hear the Dr's are telling their
> aging parents about cutting back on starches, animal fats and sugar...
> and it helps the bottom line at the grocery store too.

I have to wonder why they bother, too. If this is some sort of
ordinance, how do they expect to enforce it? Are they going to hire
people to go door to door on Mondays to check on whether or not someone
has chicken on the grill or a roast in the oven? (said with tongue in cheek)

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
..
>>> http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...ay-a-week?lite

> I have to wonder why they bother, too. If this is some sort of ordinance,
> how do they expect to enforce it? Are they going to hire people to go
> door to door on Mondays to check on whether or not someone has chicken on
> the grill or a roast in the oven? (said with tongue in cheek)
>
> Jill

It says it passed 12-0. Odd... I assume it was just for show. Like a city
council proclaiming a day "so and so" day and it doesn't mean anything.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 10, 6:23*am, "Richard K." > wrote:
> I'd prefer Veal-less Veekdays... *Can you really legislate how people eat?

They're already doing it in New York City, regulating salt by removing
salt shakers out of restaurants, and limiting the size of soft
drinks. Comrade Bloomberg does this because he's a Progressive, which
means HE KNOWS BETTER.

The next step is LA will ban restaurants from selling meat dishes on
Mondays, and ban supermarkets from selling meat on Mondays. After
that, cameras will be installed in the kitchens of all homes so they
can monitor what people are preparing, and if it is found they are
preparing meat on Mondays, the food police will show up and take them
to the re-education camps, until they finally are Politically Correct.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Richard K." > wrote in message
> I'd prefer Veal-less Veekdays... Can you really legislate how people eat?
> I suppose it does make some people think about it... but doesn't really
> seem that it will do much other than make create a meat eater and
> libertarian backlash.
> http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...ay-a-week?lite
>

> "Los Angeles is hoping to persuade people to become vegetarian - at least
> one day per week. Under a resolution unanimously approved by the city
> council this week, all future Mondays in the City of Angels have been
> declared "Meatless Mondays."
>
> It's part of an international campaign to cut down on meat consumption for
> health and environmental reasons.
>
> Both the spiritual home of the hamburger and a haven for the
> health-obsessed, Los Angeles became the largest city in the nation to
> support the Meatless Monday campaign. The nonprofit initiative, started in
> 2003, is associated with Johns Hopkins University's public health school.
>
> Councilwoman Jan Perry, who introduced the motion with Councilman Ed
> Reyes,
> noted the environmental impacts of meat production, and she emphasized
> that
> a high-meat diet has been linked to health problems such as colon,
> prostate,
> kidney and breast cancers, as well as heart disease.
>
> "Eating less meat can prevent and even reverse some of our nation's most
> common illnesses," Perry said.
>
> "We've become disconnected in some ways from the simple truth that our
> health is directly affected by the foods we eat,'' she added.
>
> Her motion posted 12-0 in a council session Friday.
>
> Reyes said it is easy for individuals to feel helpless in the face of
> issues
> as big as global warming or the obesity epidemic, "but the small changes
> we
> make every day can have a tremendous impact. That's why this 'Meatless
> Monday' resolution is important. Together we can better our health, the
> animals and the environment, one plate at a time.''

I grew up with meatless Mondays. We took what money we would have spent on
meat and gave it to the poor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/10/2012 3:39 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Richard K." > wrote in message
>> I'd prefer Veal-less Veekdays... Can you really legislate how people eat?
>> I suppose it does make some people think about it... but doesn't really
>> seem that it will do much other than make create a meat eater and
>> libertarian backlash.
>> http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...ay-a-week?lite
>>

>> "Los Angeles is hoping to persuade people to become vegetarian - at least
>> one day per week. Under a resolution unanimously approved by the city
>> council this week, all future Mondays in the City of Angels have been
>> declared "Meatless Mondays."
>>
>> It's part of an international campaign to cut down on meat consumption for
>> health and environmental reasons.
>>
>> Both the spiritual home of the hamburger and a haven for the
>> health-obsessed, Los Angeles became the largest city in the nation to
>> support the Meatless Monday campaign. The nonprofit initiative, started in
>> 2003, is associated with Johns Hopkins University's public health school.
>>
>> Councilwoman Jan Perry, who introduced the motion with Councilman Ed
>> Reyes,
>> noted the environmental impacts of meat production, and she emphasized
>> that
>> a high-meat diet has been linked to health problems such as colon,
>> prostate,
>> kidney and breast cancers, as well as heart disease.
>>
>> "Eating less meat can prevent and even reverse some of our nation's most
>> common illnesses," Perry said.
>>
>> "We've become disconnected in some ways from the simple truth that our
>> health is directly affected by the foods we eat,'' she added.
>>
>> Her motion posted 12-0 in a council session Friday.
>>
>> Reyes said it is easy for individuals to feel helpless in the face of
>> issues
>> as big as global warming or the obesity epidemic, "but the small changes
>> we
>> make every day can have a tremendous impact. That's why this 'Meatless
>> Monday' resolution is important. Together we can better our health, the
>> animals and the environment, one plate at a time.''

> I grew up with meatless Mondays. We took what money we would have spent on
> meat and gave it to the poor.

Aren't you just the little saint! LOLOL

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Nov 2012 13:49:18 -0500, "Richard K."
> wrote:

> It says it passed 12-0. Odd... I assume it was just for show. Like a city
> council proclaiming a day "so and so" day and it doesn't mean anything.

I equate it to declaring a city a "nuclear free zone".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Nov 2012 12:33:46 -0800 (PST), Michael OConnor
> wrote:

> On Nov 10, 6:23*am, "Richard K." > wrote:
> > I'd prefer Veal-less Veekdays... *Can you really legislate how people eat?

> They're already doing it in New York City, regulating salt by removing
> salt shakers out of restaurants, and limiting the size of soft
> drinks. Comrade Bloomberg does this because he's a Progressive, which
> means HE KNOWS BETTER.

I think that size limit thing is more of a backlash than anything
else. It's virtually impossible to buy anything in a drinkable small
size anymore. I don't want any more than 8 ounces, but it's not an
option. I have to start at 12.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/10/2012 3:33 PM, Michael OConnor wrote:
> On Nov 10, 6:23 am, "Richard K." > wrote:
>> I'd prefer Veal-less Veekdays... Can you really legislate how people eat?

> They're already doing it in New York City, regulating salt by removing
> salt shakers out of restaurants, and limiting the size of soft
> drinks. Comrade Bloomberg does this because he's a Progressive, which
> means HE KNOWS BETTER.
>
> The next step is LA will ban restaurants from selling meat dishes on
> Mondays, and ban supermarkets from selling meat on Mondays. After
> that, cameras will be installed in the kitchens of all homes so they
> can monitor what people are preparing, and if it is found they are
> preparing meat on Mondays, the food police will show up and take them
> to the re-education camps, until they finally are Politically Correct.

ROFL! Yeah, that'll work. Then they'll have black market meat being
sold in back alleys. Some guy with a refrigerated ice cream cart filled
with steaks

How about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQM69FCp9cc

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 10, 2012 1:38:48 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Richard K." > wrote in message

> > I'd prefer Veal-less Veekdays... Can you really legislate how people eat?

> > I suppose it does make some people think about it... but doesn't really

> > seem that it will do much other than make create a meat eater and

> > libertarian backlash.

> > http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...ay-a-week?lite

> > "Los Angeles is hoping to persuade people to become vegetarian - at least

> > one day per week. Under a resolution unanimously approved by the city

> > council this week, all future Mondays in the City of Angels have been

> > declared "Meatless Mondays."

> > It's part of an international campaign to cut down on meat consumption for

> > health and environmental reasons.

> > Both the spiritual home of the hamburger and a haven for the

> > health-obsessed, Los Angeles became the largest city in the nation to

> > support the Meatless Monday campaign. The nonprofit initiative, started in

> > 2003, is associated with Johns Hopkins University's public health school.

> > Councilwoman Jan Perry, who introduced the motion with Councilman Ed

> > Reyes,

> > noted the environmental impacts of meat production, and she emphasized

> > that

> > a high-meat diet has been linked to health problems such as colon,

> > prostate,

> > kidney and breast cancers, as well as heart disease.

> > "Eating less meat can prevent and even reverse some of our nation's most

> > common illnesses," Perry said.

> > "We've become disconnected in some ways from the simple truth that our

> > health is directly affected by the foods we eat,'' she added.

> > Her motion posted 12-0 in a council session Friday.

> > Reyes said it is easy for individuals to feel helpless in the face of

> > issues

> > as big as global warming or the obesity epidemic, "but the small changes

> > we

> > make every day can have a tremendous impact. That's why this 'Meatless

> > Monday' resolution is important. Together we can better our health, the

> > animals and the environment, one plate at a time.''

> I grew up with meatless Mondays. We took what money we would have spent on
>
> meat and gave it to the poor.

I'm sure "Tiny Tim" enjoyed the turkey that your contribution bought?

LIKELY STORY!!! Got any more?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> I grew up with meatless Mondays. We took what money we would have spent on
> meat and gave it to the poor.

Nice!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 11/10/2012 3:39 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Richard K." > wrote in message
>>> I'd prefer Veal-less Veekdays... Can you really legislate how people
>>> eat?
>>> I suppose it does make some people think about it... but doesn't really
>>> seem that it will do much other than make create a meat eater and
>>> libertarian backlash.
>>> http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...ay-a-week?lite
>>>

>>> "Los Angeles is hoping to persuade people to become vegetarian - at
>>> least
>>> one day per week. Under a resolution unanimously approved by the city
>>> council this week, all future Mondays in the City of Angels have been
>>> declared "Meatless Mondays."
>>>
>>> It's part of an international campaign to cut down on meat consumption
>>> for
>>> health and environmental reasons.
>>>
>>> Both the spiritual home of the hamburger and a haven for the
>>> health-obsessed, Los Angeles became the largest city in the nation to
>>> support the Meatless Monday campaign. The nonprofit initiative, started
>>> in
>>> 2003, is associated with Johns Hopkins University's public health
>>> school.
>>>
>>> Councilwoman Jan Perry, who introduced the motion with Councilman Ed
>>> Reyes,
>>> noted the environmental impacts of meat production, and she emphasized
>>> that
>>> a high-meat diet has been linked to health problems such as colon,
>>> prostate,
>>> kidney and breast cancers, as well as heart disease.
>>>
>>> "Eating less meat can prevent and even reverse some of our nation's most
>>> common illnesses," Perry said.
>>>
>>> "We've become disconnected in some ways from the simple truth that our
>>> health is directly affected by the foods we eat,'' she added.
>>>
>>> Her motion posted 12-0 in a council session Friday.
>>>
>>> Reyes said it is easy for individuals to feel helpless in the face of
>>> issues
>>> as big as global warming or the obesity epidemic, "but the small changes
>>> we
>>> make every day can have a tremendous impact. That's why this 'Meatless
>>> Monday' resolution is important. Together we can better our health, the
>>> animals and the environment, one plate at a time.''

>> I grew up with meatless Mondays. We took what money we would have spent
>> on
>> meat and gave it to the poor.
>>

> Aren't you just the little saint! LOLOL

No. What's funny about that?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message
> On Saturday, November 10, 2012 1:38:48 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Richard K." > wrote in message

>> > I'd prefer Veal-less Veekdays... Can you really legislate how people
>> > eat?

>> > I suppose it does make some people think about it... but doesn't really

>> > seem that it will do much other than make create a meat eater and

>> > libertarian backlash.

>> > http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...ay-a-week?lite

>> > "Los Angeles is hoping to persuade people to become vegetarian - at
>> > least

>> > one day per week. Under a resolution unanimously approved by the city

>> > council this week, all future Mondays in the City of Angels have been

>> > declared "Meatless Mondays."

>> > It's part of an international campaign to cut down on meat consumption
>> > for

>> > health and environmental reasons.

>> > Both the spiritual home of the hamburger and a haven for the

>> > health-obsessed, Los Angeles became the largest city in the nation to

>> > support the Meatless Monday campaign. The nonprofit initiative, started
>> > in

>> > 2003, is associated with Johns Hopkins University's public health
>> > school.

>> > Councilwoman Jan Perry, who introduced the motion with Councilman Ed

>> > Reyes,

>> > noted the environmental impacts of meat production, and she emphasized

>> > that

>> > a high-meat diet has been linked to health problems such as colon,

>> > prostate,

>> > kidney and breast cancers, as well as heart disease.

>> > "Eating less meat can prevent and even reverse some of our nation's
>> > most

>> > common illnesses," Perry said.

>> > "We've become disconnected in some ways from the simple truth that our

>> > health is directly affected by the foods we eat,'' she added.

>> > Her motion posted 12-0 in a council session Friday.

>> > Reyes said it is easy for individuals to feel helpless in the face of

>> > issues

>> > as big as global warming or the obesity epidemic, "but the small
>> > changes

>> > we

>> > make every day can have a tremendous impact. That's why this 'Meatless

>> > Monday' resolution is important. Together we can better our health, the

>> > animals and the environment, one plate at a time.''

>> I grew up with meatless Mondays. We took what money we would have spent
>> on
>>
>> meat and gave it to the poor.

> I'm sure "Tiny Tim" enjoyed the turkey that your contribution bought?
>
> LIKELY STORY!!! Got any more?

It's a very likely story! My parents decided to do this and then my church
decided that everyone should do it. So they asked the entire congregation
to do it. Now whether they did it or not... I don't know. Actually most
of the time when we ate at home we had meatless meals about 2-3 times a
week. We mainly only ate at home when times were lean. We did dine out a
lot. A lot more than most people I think. But I mostly ate meatless all
the time except for when I was very young. I was told that I loved meat
when I was very young. I didn't when I got older.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 10, 9:18*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> My parents decided to do this and then my church
> decided that everyone should do it. *So they asked the entire congregation
> to do it.

Seventh Day Adventist?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 10, 3:23*am, "Richard K." > wrote:

>. Under a resolution unanimously approved by the city
> council this week, all future Mondays in the City of Angels have been
> declared "Meatless Mondays."
>
> It's part of an international campaign to cut down on meat consumption for
> health and environmental reasons.
>
> Both the spiritual home of the hamburger and a haven for the
> health-obsessed, Los Angeles became the largest city in the nation to
> support the Meatless Monday campaign. The nonprofit initiative, started in
> 2003, is associated with Johns Hopkins University's public health school.
>
> Councilwoman Jan Perry, who introduced the motion with Councilman Ed Reyes,
> noted the environmental impacts of meat production, and she emphasized that
> a high-meat diet has been linked to health problems such as colon, prostate,
> kidney and breast cancers, as well as heart disease.
>

> Her motion posted 12-0 in a council session Friday.

If the LA City Council can afford to spend time on "Meatless Mondays,"
I suggest they take up a similar issue, "Murderless Mondays."

At least one Angeleno is killed every day on average, usually because
they have been shot. Perhaps Councilwoman Jan Perry could emphasize
that a high-lead diet has been linked to health problems such as
cardiac failure, breathing cessation, and the like.

The spiritual and physical home of the Bloods and Crips, Los Angeles
needs to be reminded that homicides are bad for the health. That's why
the "Murderless Monday" resolution would be important. Save Angelenos,
one day at a time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
Seventh Day Adventist?

===

I kinda like some Worthington products. Such as Fri-Pats, and Stakelets.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"spamtrap1888" > wrote in message

If the LA City Council can afford to spend time on "Meatless Mondays,"
I suggest they take up a similar issue, "Murderless Mondays."

At least one Angeleno is killed every day on average, usually because
they have been shot. Perhaps Councilwoman Jan Perry could emphasize
that a high-lead diet has been linked to health problems such as
cardiac failure, breathing cessation, and the like.

The spiritual and physical home of the Bloods and Crips, Los Angeles
needs to be reminded that homicides are bad for the health. That's why
the "Murderless Monday" resolution would be important. Save Angelenos,
one day at a time.

----

You should propose that to City Hall!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/10/2012 10:19 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Roy" > wrote in message

>>> I grew up with meatless Mondays. We took what money we would have spent
>>> on
>>>
>>> meat and gave it to the poor.

>> I'm sure "Tiny Tim" enjoyed the turkey that your contribution bought?
>>
>> LIKELY STORY!!! Got any more?

> It's a very likely story! My parents decided to do this and then my church
> decided that everyone should do it. So they asked the entire congregation
> to do it. Now whether they did it or not... I don't know. Actually most
> of the time when we ate at home we had meatless meals about 2-3 times a
> week. We mainly only ate at home when times were lean. We did dine out a
> lot. A lot more than most people I think. But I mostly ate meatless all
> the time except for when I was very young. I was told that I loved meat
> when I was very young. I didn't when I got older.

"We mainly only ate at home when times were lean. We did dine out a
lot." Which was it, eating at home or dining out?

Oh, a church was involved. That explains a lot. Don't eat meat on
Mondays, people! Here, have some Kool-Aid

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nice "touchy feeley stuff" to let participants "think" they are doing their
part to save the world. lol

In reality, I eat vegetarian meals 3-4 days a week, every week. This is not
to save the planet or save the animals. I come home from work and decide
what I want for dinner, day to day, nothing planned in advance. It often
just seems to work out that a meal with no meat works for me, that evening.

Gary

ALSO.... isn't it the Muslim tradition that one certain day in September
each year, they fast from dawn until sundown. That tradition always cracks
me up. I guess so many of them are making "such a personal sacrifice" to
honor Allah and their religion.

I fast from dawn until sundown ever single day I work...all year long.
eheheh So to me, the muslims one-day fast is baby stuff. No big sacrifice,
imo. LOLOLOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/11/2012 11:13 AM, Gary wrote:
> Nice "touchy feeley stuff" to let participants "think" they are doing their
> part to save the world. lol
>
> In reality, I eat vegetarian meals 3-4 days a week, every week. This is not
> to save the planet or save the animals. I come home from work and decide
> what I want for dinner, day to day, nothing planned in advance. It often
> just seems to work out that a meal with no meat works for me, that evening.
>
> Gary

I certainly don't have (or have to have) meat with every meal. But I
resent someone trying to tell me when I can and cannot have it.

Even the Catholics finally gave up on the only fish on Fridays thing.
And half the time the ones I knew would cheat, anyway. When I lived in
TN there was a little convenience store that had a great little
breakfast buffet. (I miss that place!)

They made great sausage biscuits and the biscuits were from scratch.
Yum! Some mornings I'd stop in there and pick up sausage biscuits for
everyone in the department. Unbeknownst to me, the manager was
Catholic. One of the days I decided to bring them was a Friday. She
said "Oh, I'm Catholic. I'm not supposed to eat meat today." Trust me,
it didn't stop her. All she had to do was confess on Sunday. LOL

> ALSO.... isn't it the Muslim tradition that one certain day in September
> each year, they fast from dawn until sundown.

I've no idea about Muslim practices. I fast every night from a few
hours before I go to sleep until a few hours after I wake up

Jill

--
--The person who rows the boat seldom has time to rock it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown > wrote in
:

> Even the Catholics finally gave up on the only fish on Fridays
> thing.

Actually, it was the Church that removed the prescription regarding
Fridays. Some Catholics still choose to follow the pre-Vatican II
rules but it's a personal choice.

And it wasn't "only fish on Fridays"; it was "eat lean" (manger
maigre). That could be anything from a cheese omelette to Italian
baked noodle dishes like lasagne (cooked originally in a creamy
sauce). However, the fact remains that three-quarters of Europe
during most of that period chose fish for the 175 days a year that
one had to eat lean, and the King of France controlled the Grand
Banks, the salted cod belonged to him, and it made him wealthy.

--

Traditions are group efforts to keep the unexpected
from happening.

-- Barbara Tober

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 11, 8:36*am, Michel Boucher > wrote:
> jmcquown > wrote :
>
> > Even the Catholics finally gave up on the only fish on Fridays
> > thing.

> Actually, it was the Church that removed the prescription regarding
> Fridays. *Some Catholics still choose to follow the pre-Vatican II
> rules but it's a personal choice.
>
> And it wasn't "only fish on Fridays"; it was "eat lean" (manger
> maigre). *That could be anything from a cheese omelette to Italian
> baked noodle dishes like lasagne (cooked originally in a creamy
> sauce). *However, the fact remains that three-quarters of Europe
> during most of that period chose fish for the 175 days a year that
> one had to eat lean, and the King of France controlled the Grand
> Banks, the salted cod belonged to him, and it made him wealthy.

Yes, fishless meals were common.. My mother would make jelly
omelettes, my grandmother favored potato soup, and my wife's
grandmother would make blintzes.

Later when meatless Fridays became merely a Lenten tradition, my pizza-
delivering friends complained of the small tips they received for
delivering sausageless pizzas.

This reminds me that one big difference between the American diet of
the 1950s and that of today is the vastly reduced number of eggs
consumed per person.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Nov 2012 09:56:57 -0800 in rec.food.cooking, sf
> wrote,
>I have no idea why City Councils waste their time doing this when they
>have streets to repair and keep clean. Going meatless one or more
>days per week has been a trend, at least in California, for quite some
>time now.

If one of them saw a parade marching down the street he would jump
out in front of it and start waving a baton.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/11/2012 11:45 AM, spamtrap1888 wrote:
> On Nov 11, 8:36 am, Michel Boucher > wrote:
>> jmcquown > wrote :
>>
>>> Even the Catholics finally gave up on the only fish on Fridays
>>> thing.

>> Actually, it was the Church that removed the prescription regarding
>> Fridays. Some Catholics still choose to follow the pre-Vatican II
>> rules but it's a personal choice.
>>
>> And it wasn't "only fish on Fridays"; it was "eat lean" (manger
>> maigre). That could be anything from a cheese omelette to Italian
>> baked noodle dishes like lasagne (cooked originally in a creamy
>> sauce). However, the fact remains that three-quarters of Europe
>> during most of that period chose fish for the 175 days a year that
>> one had to eat lean, and the King of France controlled the Grand
>> Banks, the salted cod belonged to him, and it made him wealthy.
>>

> Yes, fishless meals were common.. My mother would make jelly
> omelettes, my grandmother favored potato soup, and my wife's
> grandmother would make blintzes.
>
> Later when meatless Fridays became merely a Lenten tradition, my pizza-
> delivering friends complained of the small tips they received for
> delivering sausageless pizzas.

Cheap tippers aren't limited to those who receive meatless pizzas

Jill
--
The person who rows the boat seldom has time to rock it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Nov 2012 11:27:45 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> I've no idea about Muslim practices. I fast every night from a few
> hours before I go to sleep until a few hours after I wake up
>
> Jill

That's why your morning meal is called break-fast.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Susan > wrote in
:

>> ALSO.... isn't it the Muslim tradition that one certain day
>> in September each year, they fast from dawn until sundown.
>> That tradition always cracks me up. I guess so many of them
>> are making "such a personal sacrifice" to honor Allah and
>> their religion.
>>
>> I fast from dawn until sundown ever single day I work...all
>> year long. eheheh So to me, the muslims one-day fast is baby
>> stuff. No big sacrifice, imo. LOLOLOL

> They do it for a month.
>
> It's called Ramadan.

Gary, you been schooled, dood.

--

Traditions are group efforts to keep the unexpected
from happening.

-- Barbara Tober

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> I certainly don't have (or have to have) meat with every meal. But I
> resent someone trying to tell me when I can and cannot have it.
>
> Even the Catholics finally gave up on the only fish on Fridays thing. And
> half the time the ones I knew would cheat, anyway. When I lived in TN
> there was a little convenience store that had a great little breakfast
> buffet. (I miss that place!)

I actually had "meat" today... Well, it was beef broth... After church (if
you can call going to a unitarian service "church"), I took my ex out for
lunch at Rocky's. We got the soup and salad. And when the waiter brought
our soup, the ex says I've heard very good things about the minestrone. The
waiter says: I think it's the beef broth.

I'm pretty sure I had asked in the past if the soup was vegetarian and told
it was. (Though some peoples idea of vegetarian is kind of odd.) Anyway,
the soup was already served and if I sent it back they would have just
thrown it out. So I did go ahead and eat it, and ate around the beef broth.
But I didn't not get a second serving at least, and won't be ordering it
again.

Really went for the salad. Rockys has this pesto salad dressing that is to
die for!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michel Boucher" > wrote in message
> jmcquown > wrote in
> :
>
>> Even the Catholics finally gave up on the only fish on Fridays
>> thing.

> Actually, it was the Church that removed the prescription regarding
> Fridays. Some Catholics still choose to follow the pre-Vatican II
> rules but it's a personal choice.
>
> And it wasn't "only fish on Fridays"; it was "eat lean" (manger
> maigre). That could be anything from a cheese omelette to Italian
> baked noodle dishes like lasagne (cooked originally in a creamy
> sauce). However, the fact remains that three-quarters of Europe
> during most of that period chose fish for the 175 days a year that
> one had to eat lean, and the King of France controlled the Grand
> Banks, the salted cod belonged to him, and it made him wealthy.

I've heard fish was okay because there were a lot of Italian fisherman...
Never understood how fish is not meat. In South America, they lobbied for
the capybara to be declared a fish so they could still eat it. Though it's
clearly a mammal, but happens to swim a fair amount.
http://www.nysun.com/foreign/in-days...ck-into/11063/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 11/11/2012 11:45 AM, spamtrap1888 wrote:
>> Later when meatless Fridays became merely a Lenten tradition, my pizza-
>> delivering friends complained of the small tips they received for
>> delivering sausageless pizzas.
>>

> Cheap tippers aren't limited to those who receive meatless pizzas

I delivered Dominos for a couple months for something to do. It was pretty
random who tipped and who did not... And pretty much every customer had
already decided on tipping before I showed up; they would come to the door
with a tip (or no tip) already in hand... Best tippers were women who
worked as waitresses. And also gays.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/11/2012 4:24 PM, Richard K. wrote:
> "Michel Boucher" > wrote in message
>> jmcquown > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> Even the Catholics finally gave up on the only fish on Fridays
>>> thing.

>> Actually, it was the Church that removed the prescription regarding
>> Fridays. Some Catholics still choose to follow the pre-Vatican II
>> rules but it's a personal choice.
>>
>> And it wasn't "only fish on Fridays"; it was "eat lean" (manger
>> maigre). That could be anything from a cheese omelette to Italian
>> baked noodle dishes like lasagne (cooked originally in a creamy
>> sauce). However, the fact remains that three-quarters of Europe
>> during most of that period chose fish for the 175 days a year that
>> one had to eat lean, and the King of France controlled the Grand
>> Banks, the salted cod belonged to him, and it made him wealthy.

> I've heard fish was okay because there were a lot of Italian fisherman...
> Never understood how fish is not meat. In South America, they lobbied for
> the capybara to be declared a fish so they could still eat it. Though it's
> clearly a mammal, but happens to swim a fair amount.
> http://www.nysun.com/foreign/in-days...ck-into/11063/

I've not investigated but perhaps salt cod was a royal monopoly *in
France*. Other nations caught cod on the Grand Banks, particularly the
Basques of Spain, and many other nationals were involved in the salt cod
trade and may well have discovered Newfoundland but kept it quiet. The
person after whom America is named according to Chambers English
Dictionary was Richard Americk of Bristol, a salt cod trader and one of
John Cabot's major backers. Americk certainly traded with the Basques
and might have heard rumors of land near the fishing grounds.

In medieval times, the duck was also declared a fish because of its
preferred habitat.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I keep thinking there's a song in here somewhe
Just another Meatless Monday (ohhhh-w-ohhhh)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> I keep thinking there's a song in here somewhe
> Just another Meatless Monday (ohhhh-w-ohhhh)

There's life underground...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utD0Ow_44gw

Bridget Fonda married him?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Richard K." > wrote in
:

> I've heard fish was okay because there were a lot of Italian
> fisherman... Never understood how fish is not meat.

The thing was (if you'd read closely, you would know by now) that
Fridays were LEAN meals which is to say no mammal or fowl. Fish
qualifies. LEAN...get it now?

--
Traditions are group efforts to keep the unexpected
from happening.

-- Barbara Tober

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton > wrote in
:

> The
> person after whom America is named according to Chambers
> English Dictionary was Richard Americk of Bristol, a salt cod
> trader and one of John Cabot's major backers. Americk
> certainly traded with the Basques and might have heard rumors
> of land near the fishing grounds.

The usually accepted etymology is that America is named after the
Florentine explorer Amerigo Vespucci. If you enlarge the
Waldseemüller map (1507 AD), you will see the name of Amerigo
Vespucci in the third panel of the top row.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America...ogy_and_naming

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ldseemuller_ma
p_2.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/yeuqg46

Boy, the nerve of those Brits...really!

--

Traditions are group efforts to keep the unexpected
from happening.

-- Barbara Tober

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 11, 5:02*pm, Michel Boucher > wrote:
> James Silverton > wrote :
>
> > The
> > person after whom America is named according to Chambers
> > English Dictionary was Richard Americk of Bristol, a salt cod
> > trader and one of *John Cabot's major backers. Americk
> > certainly traded with the Basques and might have heard rumors
> > of land near the fishing grounds.

> The usually accepted etymology is that America is named after the
> Florentine explorer Amerigo Vespucci. *If you enlarge the
> Waldseem ller map (1507 AD), you will see the name of Amerigo
> Vespucci in the third panel of the top row.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America...ogy_and_naming
>
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ldseemuller_ma
> p_2.jpg
>
> http://tinyurl.com/yeuqg46
>
> Boy, the nerve of those Brits...really!

Good thing, too. "God Bless Vespucciland" would never have caught on.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 11, 9:17*am, jmcquown > wrote:
> On 11/11/2012 11:45 AM, spamtrap1888 wrote:

> >> Actually, it was the Church that removed the prescription regarding
> >> Fridays. *Some Catholics still choose to follow the pre-Vatican II
> >> rules but it's a personal choice.

> >> And it wasn't "only fish on Fridays"; it was "eat lean" (manger
> >> maigre). *That could be anything from a cheese omelette to Italian
> >> baked noodle dishes like lasagne (cooked originally in a creamy
> >> sauce). *However, the fact remains that three-quarters of Europe
> >> during most of that period chose fish for the 175 days a year that
> >> one had to eat lean, and the King of France controlled the Grand
> >> Banks, the salted cod belonged to him, and it made him wealthy.

> > Yes, fishless meals were common.. My mother would make jelly
> > omelettes, my grandmother favored potato soup, and my wife's
> > grandmother would make blintzes.

> > Later when meatless Fridays became merely a Lenten tradition, my pizza-
> > delivering friends complained of the small tips they received for
> > delivering sausageless pizzas.

> Cheap tippers aren't limited to those who receive meatless pizzas

People who tip based on percentage => cheap pizzas, cheap tips.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/11/2012 7:53 PM, Michel Boucher wrote:
> "Richard K." > wrote in
> :
>
>> I've heard fish was okay because there were a lot of Italian
>> fisherman... Never understood how fish is not meat.

> The thing was (if you'd read closely, you would know by now) that
> Fridays were LEAN meals which is to say no mammal or fowl. Fish
> qualifies. LEAN...get it now?

I always remember it being called Fish Friday when I was growing up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 11/10/2012 10:19 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> I'm sure "Tiny Tim" enjoyed the turkey that your contribution bought?
>>>
>>> LIKELY STORY!!! Got any more?

>> It's a very likely story! My parents decided to do this and then my
>> church
>> decided that everyone should do it. So they asked the entire
>> congregation
>> to do it. Now whether they did it or not... I don't know. Actually
>> most
>> of the time when we ate at home we had meatless meals about 2-3 times a
>> week. We mainly only ate at home when times were lean. We did dine out
>> lot. A lot more than most people I think. But I mostly ate meatless all
>> the time except for when I was very young. I was told that I loved meat
>> when I was very young. I didn't when I got older.
>>

> "We mainly only ate at home when times were lean. We did dine out a
> lot." Which was it, eating at home or dining out?
>
> Oh, a church was involved. That explains a lot. Don't eat meat on
> Mondays, people! Here, have some Kool-Aid

My dad worked for Boeing. Most of the time I think he got good pay. But
then there were the times when his hours were cut. So we couldn't afford to
dine out.