Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Marinating chicken

I make a chicken tika masala once or twice a week and I want the chicken
pieces to pick up more of the taste of the tikka masala cooking sauce which
is in a 500g jar of manufactured TIKKA MASALA (The Curry Leaf) from Tesco.
I do not want to add any more spices or anything like that. I simply want
to know how best to impregnate the chicken breasts (500 grams) with the
masala before I start cooking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 1 Nov 2012 20:30:58 -0000, Emrys Davies wrote:
>
>> I make a chicken tika masala once or twice a week and I want the chicken
>> pieces to pick up more of the taste of the tikka masala cooking sauce
>> which
>> is in a 500g jar of manufactured TIKKA MASALA (The Curry Leaf) from
>> Tesco.
>> I do not want to add any more spices or anything like that. I simply
>> want
>> to know how best to impregnate the chicken breasts (500 grams) with the
>> masala before I start cooking.

> Cut the chicken into smaller pieces, or even shred it, to get better
> coverage by the sauce.
>
> -sw

That is what I do already, but I always think that the chicken should be
more tasteful so I want to marinate it. But what is the best way to do
that?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 1, 4:01*pm, "Emrys Davies" > wrote:
> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message

> > On Thu, 1 Nov 2012 20:30:58 -0000, Emrys Davies wrote:

> >> I make a chicken tika masala once or twice a week and I want the chicken
> >> pieces to pick up more of the taste of the tikka *masala cooking sauce
> >> which
> >> is in a 500g jar of manufactured TIKKA MASALA *(The Curry Leaf) from
> >> Tesco.
> >> I do not want to add any more spices or anything like that. *I simply
> >> want
> >> to know how best to impregnate the chicken breasts (500 grams) with the
> >> masala before I start cooking.

> > Cut the chicken into smaller pieces, or even shred it, to get better
> > coverage by the sauce.

> > -sw

> That is what I do already, but I always think that the chicken should be
> more tasteful so I want to marinate it. *But what is the best way to do
> that?

Make your own marinade. Store bought marinades are nearly always
inferior. I also suggest that you will get much more flavour from
legs and thighs than from the breast. Don't forget to score the meat.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Nov 1, 1:31*pm, "Emrys Davies" > wrote:
> I make a chicken tika masala once or twice a week and I want the chicken
> pieces to pick up more of the taste of the tikka *masala cooking sauce which
> is in a 500g jar of manufactured TIKKA MASALA *(The Curry Leaf) from Tesco.
> I do not want to add any more spices or anything like that. *I simply want
> to know how best to impregnate the chicken breasts (500 grams) with the
> masala before I start cooking.

If you have a seal a meal type appliance, put the chicken in the
marinade and use the vacuum seal.
Vacuum sealing pushes the flavor into the meat.
Then sous vide it.
That should do it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 1, 4:53*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> On Nov 1, 1:31*pm, "Emrys Davies" > wrote:
>
> > I make a chicken tika masala once or twice a week and I want the chicken
> > pieces to pick up more of the taste of the tikka *masala cooking sauce which
> > is in a 500g jar of manufactured TIKKA MASALA *(The Curry Leaf) from Tesco.
> > I do not want to add any more spices or anything like that. *I simply want
> > to know how best to impregnate the chicken breasts (500 grams) with the
> > masala before I start cooking.

> If you have a seal a meal type appliance, put the chicken in the
> marinade and use the vacuum seal.
> Vacuum sealing pushes the flavor into the meat.
> Then sous vide it.
> That should do it.

Sous vide for chicken Tikka Masala sounds absolutely revolting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Emrys Davies wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 1 Nov 2012 20:30:58 -0000, Emrys Davies wrote:
>>
>>> I make a chicken tika masala once or twice a week and I want
>>> the chicken
>>> pieces to pick up more of the taste of the tikka masala cooking
>>> sauce which
>>> is in a 500g jar of manufactured TIKKA MASALA (The Curry Leaf)
>>> from Tesco.
>>> I do not want to add any more spices or anything like that. I
>>> simply want
>>> to know how best to impregnate the chicken breasts (500 grams)
>>> with the
>>> masala before I start cooking.

>> Cut the chicken into smaller pieces, or even shred it, to get
>> better
>> coverage by the sauce.
>>
>> -sw

> That is what I do already, but I always think that the chicken
> should be more tasteful so I want to marinate it. But what is the
> best way to do that?

Well, this is usually made with tikka--which have been marinated,
but not in the masala sauce. Look at the marinades in recipes for
tandoori chicken. Marinate the tikka, cook them--perhaps making
them a bit underdone--then reheat them in the masala sauce. Of
course, that is not what you indicated you wanted to do.

In theory, I will have my pc back tomorrow. If you want to try
this approach, I would then be able to post some possible
marinades for you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 1, 6:53*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> On Nov 1, 1:31*pm, "Emrys Davies" > wrote:
>
> > I make a chicken tika masala once or twice a week and I want the chicken
> > pieces to pick up more of the taste of the tikka *masala cooking sauce which
> > is in a 500g jar of manufactured TIKKA MASALA *(The Curry Leaf) from Tesco.
> > I do not want to add any more spices or anything like that. *I simply want
> > to know how best to impregnate the chicken breasts (500 grams) with the
> > masala before I start cooking.

> If you have a seal a meal type appliance, put the chicken in the
> marinade and use the vacuum seal.
> Vacuum sealing pushes the flavor into the meat.
> Then sous vide it.
> That should do it.

If the OP had those skills/appliances (s)he wouldn't have needed to
ask. What you wrote is certainly true, but I wouldn't sous vide
chicken because I'd be afraid that *I* might screw up.

--Bryan

marinating chicken MisterDiddyWahDiddy General Cooking 28 12-10-2015 03:52 PM
Vacuum marinating Steve B[_13_] General Cooking 7 16-04-2012 01:55 AM
Over-marinating? [email protected] General Cooking 6 07-06-2009 09:38 PM
Marinating stuff Daisy General Cooking 8 28-01-2007 06:10 PM
Marinating Chicken Emrys Davies General Cooking 9 22-10-2004 10:42 AM