Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How to make even colored pancakes like in a restaurant?

Mine come out like this

http://blogs.kqed.org/bayareabites/f...st-pancake.jpg

How do you make them come out like this?

http://pancreaspancakes.webs.com/pancakes.jpg

I've been using Bisquick pancake mix.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 11:23:45 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

> Mine come out like this

http://blogs.kqed.org/bayareabites/f...st-pancake.jpg

The first one always seems to come out looking like that, but they
also will if your heat is too high.

> How do you make them come out like this?
>
> http://pancreaspancakes.webs.com/pancakes.jpg

After your pan has heated and you're not re-greasing it with every
pancake, your pancakes will look like that too.

> I've been using Bisquick pancake mix.

Maybe you need to use more butter/oil in the batter and less on the
pan... and turn down the heat a bit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 11:23:45 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
>
> > Mine come out like this

http://blogs.kqed.org/bayareabites/f...st-pancake.jpg

> The first one always seems to come out looking like that, but they
> also will if your heat is too high.

Agreed. He must have the heat too high.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 30/10/2012 4:03 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:
> sf wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 11:23:45 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
>>
>>> Mine come out like this

http://blogs.kqed.org/bayareabites/f...st-pancake.jpg

>> The first one always seems to come out looking like that, but they
>> also will if your heat is too high.

> Agreed. He must have the heat too high.

IMO, that looks about right for a good pancake.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/30/2012 8:23 AM, wrote:
> Mine come out like this

http://blogs.kqed.org/bayareabites/f...st-pancake.jpg

> How do you make them come out like this?
>
> http://pancreaspancakes.webs.com/pancakes.jpg
>
> I've been using Bisquick pancake mix.

Pancakes are like kids. That's your standard first-born pancake - kind
of intense and on the rough side. There ain't nothing you can do about
that. The rest will come out pretty regular. For some reason, the last
one usually turns out to be the rotten apple of the bunch.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 11:24:46 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> On 10/30/2012 8:23 AM, wrote:
> > Mine come out like this

http://blogs.kqed.org/bayareabites/f...st-pancake.jpg

> > How do you make them come out like this?
> >
> > http://pancreaspancakes.webs.com/pancakes.jpg
> >
> > I've been using Bisquick pancake mix.
> >

> Pancakes are like kids. That's your standard first-born pancake - kind
> of intense and on the rough side. There ain't nothing you can do about
> that. The rest will come out pretty regular. For some reason, the last
> one usually turns out to be the rotten apple of the bunch.

Having had only two kids, I will say that what you wrote is really
funny. IMO, last children aren't rotten but they do tend to be
spoiled. Hubby was the last of 5 but he also turned out to be the
best of the bunch.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 11:23:45 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

>Mine come out like this

http://blogs.kqed.org/bayareabites/f...st-pancake.jpg

>How do you make them come out like this?
>
>http://pancreaspancakes.webs.com/pancakes.jpg
>
>I've been using Bisquick pancake mix.

Looks like the heat is too high. Turn the flame lower and let the pan
heat a bit longer. My first one often turns out pale rather than
overdone. Once you do get them just right, make not of the burner
setting so you can repeat it.

Best tasting pancakes are from scratch. Check out the Alton Brown
recipe and make a batch of the dry so you have it when needed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 02:52:05 +0000, MotoFox >
wrote:

>And it came to pass that docsavage20 delivered the following message unto
>the people, saying~
>
>> Mine come out like this:
>> http://blogs.kqed.org/bayareabites/f...st-pancake.jpg

>Bletch. I'd have thrown that away. Completely unfit to be served.
>
>> How do you make them come out like this?
>> http://pancreaspancakes.webs.com/pancakes.jpg
>> I've been using Bisquick pancake mix.

>That's also how mine come up. I use a non-stick (Teflon-coated) electric
>griddle, which means I don't put any oil, margarine or whatever on
>it--just prepare the batter according to the instructions on the box and
>cook directly on the 375-degree preheated surface.
>
>They come up with a perfect brown colour this way.

'Zactly. Most folks put too much oil in the pan, so they end up
feeding the first batch to the dog. Oil the pan very lightly and
don't add more oil no matter how many batches, there should be enough
oil in the batter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 11:23:45 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

>Mine come out like this

http://blogs.kqed.org/bayareabites/f...st-pancake.jpg

>How do you make them come out like this?
>
>http://pancreaspancakes.webs.com/pancakes.jpg
>
>I've been using Bisquick pancake mix.

Make 100 pancakes. Select best looking 8. Make stack. Take Picture.
Done.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Actually, I LIKE the slightly overdone pancakes. Looks more like what mother made, The others look too thick and doughy. You prob. left em in tool long and/or pan was too hot.

You can save big bucks if you make your own batter from scratch. Buying Bisquick is a waste of money in my book.