Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Day of the Dead

A friend makes a special dessert, sugar skulls. Do you do anything special
for "Día de los Muertos"?

My calendar says it's November 2nd, but she said it's November 1st... A few
days later, she said a calendar she has says November 2nd. I googled it and
some sites say November 1st is to honor children, and November 2nd adults.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Richard K." > wrote in message
>A friend makes a special dessert, sugar skulls. Do you do anything special
>for "Día de los Muertos"?
>
> My calendar says it's November 2nd, but she said it's November 1st... A
> few days later, she said a calendar she has says November 2nd. I googled
> it and some sites say November 1st is to honor children, and November 2nd
> adults.

Nope. We don't. But then... We're not Mexican.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Richard K." > wrote in message
>>A friend makes a special dessert, sugar skulls. Do you do anything
>>special for "Día de los Muertos"?
>>
>> My calendar says it's November 2nd, but she said it's November 1st... A
>> few days later, she said a calendar she has says November 2nd. I googled
>> it and some sites say November 1st is to honor children, and November 2nd
>> adults.

> Nope. We don't. But then... We're not Mexican.

Why do you have to be Mexican? Do you have to be Irish to celebrate St
Patrick's Day?

Rich

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Richard K." > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Richard K." > wrote in message
>>>A friend makes a special dessert, sugar skulls. Do you do anything
>>>special for "Día de los Muertos"?
>>>
>>> My calendar says it's November 2nd, but she said it's November 1st... A
>>> few days later, she said a calendar she has says November 2nd. I
>>> googled it and some sites say November 1st is to honor children, and
>>> November 2nd adults.

>> Nope. We don't. But then... We're not Mexican.

> Why do you have to be Mexican? Do you have to be Irish to celebrate St
> Patrick's Day?

Um... I don't celebrate that either. And I am actually part Irish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Richard K." > wrote in message

>>> Nope. We don't. But then... We're not Mexican.

>> Why do you have to be Mexican? Do you have to be Irish to celebrate St
>> Patrick's Day?

> Um... I don't celebrate that either. And I am actually part Irish.

Why not? You also don't have to be christian to celebrate Christmas, or at
least the spirit of it... Ancestor veneration occurs in many societies,
not just Mexico. Día de los Muertos is actually a celebration. They say
many people have picnics at gravesites of their deceased relatives and
friends. Not something I can imagine doing-- would probably get arrested
around here-- but an interesting idea... Having a picnic with a fresh
baguette and bottle of wine with family and friends, and the deceased
favorite foods-- sounds like a good way to honor them.

-Richard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iypUpv9xelgs

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 30-Oct-2012, "Richard K." > wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> >> Why do you have to be Mexican? Do you have to be Irish to
> >> celebrate St
> >> Patrick's Day?

> > Um... I don't celebrate that either. And I am actually part Irish.

> Why not?

I also don't observe either of them; why should I, they are not my
heritage? IMO, for the typical extraethnic celebrant, it is merely an
excuse to eat and drink too much. In the case of St. Patrick's. it also
seems to grant license to many celebrants to act as a fool.

--

Change Cujo to Juno in email address.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" > wrote in message

> On 30-Oct-2012, "Richard K." > wrote:

>> > Um... I don't celebrate that either. And I am actually part Irish.

>> Why not?

> I also don't observe either of them; why should I, they are not my
> heritage? IMO, for the typical extraethnic celebrant, it is merely an
> excuse to eat and drink too much. In the case of St. Patrick's. it also
> seems to grant license to many celebrants to act as a fool.

Indeed!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In our family, we celebrate Samhain on the 31st October. We do this by lighting a candle in the window for each of our loved ones that have passed, and sitting down to a meal that our most recently passed family member loved. We set them a place at the table as a mark of respect.

We dont eat more than normal, we dont drink more than normal, but take the time to remember and reflect upon that person and how they lived.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Nov 2012 02:34:34 -0800 (PST), Mike Rutland
> wrote:

> In our family, we celebrate Samhain on the 31st October. We do this by lighting a candle in the window for each of our loved ones that have passed,

Is that what those candles in tall glasses that look like church
windows are for?
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2418/3...12ae831f_m.jpg

> and sitting down to a meal that our most recently passed family member loved. We set them a place at the table as a mark of respect.
>
> We dont eat more than normal, we dont drink more than normal, but take the time to remember and reflect upon that person and how they lived.

I was told you're not supposed to extinguish those candles, but I
don't know why. Is it to symbolize that you'll never forget them?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mike Rutland wrote:

> In our family, we celebrate Samhain on the 31st October. We do this by
> lighting a candle in the window for each of our loved ones that have
> passed, and sitting down to a meal that our most recently passed family
> member loved. We set them a place at the table as a mark of respect.
>
> We dont eat more than normal, we dont drink more than normal, but take
> the time to remember and reflect upon that person and how they lived.

That's so nice.
I read once that "no one truly dies as long as they are remembered."
I like and believe that.

I had a friend and coworker that died about 27 years ago. I often remember
his sayings and advice.

Gary

PS - isn't it a Japanese tradition to put candles on little paper boats and
let them float down a river to honor their dead relatives? Something like
that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Mike Rutland wrote:
>>
>> In our family, we celebrate Samhain on the 31st October. We do this by
>> lighting a candle in the window for each of our loved ones that have
>> passed, and sitting down to a meal that our most recently passed family
>> member loved. We set them a place at the table as a mark of respect.
>>
>> We dont eat more than normal, we dont drink more than normal, but take
>> the time to remember and reflect upon that person and how they lived.

> That's so nice.
> I read once that "no one truly dies as long as they are remembered."
> I like and believe that.
>
> I had a friend and coworker that died about 27 years ago. I often
> remember
> his sayings and advice.
>
> Gary
>
> PS - isn't it a Japanese tradition to put candles on little paper boats
> and
> let them float down a river to honor their dead relatives? Something like
> that.

I knew a guy that died about 27 or so years ago. Short older man. Hard
working always had a smile. And bunch of ol country boy sayings. (I wish
someone had made a book with his saying. I think he made some up himself.)
There was a big snowstorm in Denver, and he shoveled his driveway in the
morning. Was the last thing he did. He went and laid down on his couch and
never got back up.

I still remember saying good-bye to him the night before. It was the hall
outside the bookstore and he was going back in and I was coming out. I said
goodnight and he just smiled that little goofy smile he a had. Last time I
saw him.

One Monday, we came into the warehouse and there were a bunch of books boxed
up and ready to go. Joe had got up the day before and come into work. After
a bit, when no one came in, he said he realized he had come in on Sunday.
But he said he figured since he was there he might as well do a couple hours
of work.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/10/2012 9:00 AM, Gary wrote:
> Mike Rutland wrote:
>>
>> In our family, we celebrate Samhain on the 31st October. We do this by
>> lighting a candle in the window for each of our loved ones that have
>> passed, and sitting down to a meal that our most recently passed family
>> member loved. We set them a place at the table as a mark of respect.
>>
>> We dont eat more than normal, we dont drink more than normal, but take
>> the time to remember and reflect upon that person and how they lived.

> That's so nice.
> I read once that "no one truly dies as long as they are remembered."
> I like and believe that.

My Grandparents and their parents were Buddhists and we observed
numerous funeral services for them while I was growing up. There were a
lot of services! It's tough for a kid to sit through a monk chanting for
what seemed like forever. It was kind of spooky too.

We'll probably be having 50 year anniversaries coming up soon. After
that, it'll ease up cause the next one won't come up until another 50
years. I'm counting on being dead by then.

> I had a friend and coworker that died about 27 years ago. I often remember
> his sayings and advice.
>
> Gary
>
> PS - isn't it a Japanese tradition to put candles on little paper boats and
> let them float down a river to honor their dead relatives? Something like
> that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> We'll probably be having 50 year anniversaries coming up soon. After
> that, it'll ease up cause the next one won't come up until another 50
> years. I'm counting on being dead by then.

I'll definitely be dead long before then.
If not I'll make the Guiness Book of World Records but...
at age 109, I suspect I'll welcome 'the end.'

I sure hope they have tv and a library in the next life.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/10/2012 10:42 AM, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> We'll probably be having 50 year anniversaries coming up soon. After
>> that, it'll ease up cause the next one won't come up until another 50
>> years. I'm counting on being dead by then.

> I'll definitely be dead long before then.
> If not I'll make the Guiness Book of World Records but...
> at age 109, I suspect I'll welcome 'the end.'

I think your body gradually falling apart every day is just nature's way
of preparing you for death. I deal with a lot of old folks and that's
the attitude I've observed.

> I sure hope they have tv and a library in the next life.
>
> Gary

Maybe the afterlife is that you endlessly live the life you've lived.
It's heaven AND hell.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message

> Maybe the afterlife is that you endlessly live the life you've lived. It's
> heaven AND hell.

I think it's like the place you were before you were conceived.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/10/2012 5:34 AM, Mike Rutland wrote:

> In our family, we celebrate Samhain on the 31st October. We do this
> by lighting a candle in the window for each of our loved ones that
> have passed, and sitting down to a meal that our most recently passed
> family member loved. We set them a place at the table as a mark of
> respect.
>
> We dont eat more than normal, we dont drink more than normal, but
> take the time to remember and reflect upon that person and how they
> lived.

Our family takes a moment to remember everyone missing from the table
when we have family meals. No real holiday to do it, but I like the idea
of the Day of the Dead.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/10/2012 2:00 PM, Gary wrote:
> Mike Rutland wrote:
>>
>> In our family, we celebrate Samhain on the 31st October. We do this by
>> lighting a candle in the window for each of our loved ones that have
>> passed, and sitting down to a meal that our most recently passed family
>> member loved. We set them a place at the table as a mark of respect.
>>
>> We dont eat more than normal, we dont drink more than normal, but take
>> the time to remember and reflect upon that person and how they lived.

> That's so nice.
> I read once that "no one truly dies as long as they are remembered."
> I like and believe that.
>
> I had a friend and coworker that died about 27 years ago. I often remember
> his sayings and advice.
>
> Gary
>
> PS - isn't it a Japanese tradition to put candles on little paper boats and
> let them float down a river to honor their dead relatives? Something like
> that.

I don't know about Japan but they do that in Thailand and other SE Asian
countries, usually in November. It's a holiday and tradition called
"Loy Krathong". They make little floats from the trunk and leaves of
the banana tree. They add candles, incense (joss sticks), fresh
flowers. They sometimes put little trinkets or even coins in the
"boats" to honor their ancestors and pray for prosperity. Then they
float them down the river. It's a spectacle unlike no other, and a fond
memory from when I was a child.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

We did the candle float thing at Y camp when I was a kid. We sang
kum-bay-ya :-) As an adult now I wonder if they had someone in a canoe
down river snuffing them out.

I should try this celebration-it might break the hex I am under from
someone long deceased.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/10/2012 9:00 AM, Gary wrote:

> PS - isn't it a Japanese tradition to put candles on little paper boats and
> let them float down a river to honor their dead relatives? Something like
> that.

We do that over here. They make quite a production of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRSPtv_9Txw

Dead BBQ MMkay17432 (Twelfth Incarnation) Barbecue 0 21-08-2014 03:14 AM
Walking Dead dead spread? sf[_9_] General Cooking 1 10-02-2014 02:13 AM
It is dead, then Shawn Martin[_12_] Barbecue 3 08-11-2011 02:54 AM
Is it Dead? Richard Sourdough 48 21-01-2005 02:42 AM
Better Be Red Than Dead Stark General Cooking 5 04-11-2004 01:18 PM