Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Here's a recent post that I can't send. Trying a new post.

sf wrote:

> I've never seen brown peas before. If I did, I must have thought they
> were something else. When I have a ham bone, I use split peas which
> are green - or any of a dozen or more other beans to make soup.

They must have sold them more often back in the early 60's? When I was a
kid (elementary school), pea-shooters were popular with us fellows. It was
just a large diameter plastic straw that came with a supply of "ammo." We
used to get more ammo from the grocery store...one pound bags of nice round
tan peas.

I've also wondered about that because I never see them in the grocery store
anymore.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Oct 29, 6:07*am, Gary > wrote:
> sf wrote:
>
> > I've never seen brown peas before. *If I did, I must have thought they
> > were something else. *When I have a ham bone, I use split peas which
> > are green - or any of a dozen or more other beans to make soup.

> They must have sold them more often back in the early 60's? *When I was a
> kid (elementary school), pea-shooters were popular with us fellows. *It was
> just a large diameter plastic straw that came with a supply of "ammo." *We
> used to get more ammo from the grocery store...one pound bags of nice round
> tan peas.
>
> I've also wondered about that because I never see them in the grocery store
> anymore.
>
> Gary

They were probably pigeon peas. Mostly you fund them where people
make peas and riceo on a regular basis. More Caribbean oriented
foods. Here's a pic.

http://www.trimurtigroup.com/images/...uct_pigeon.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Oct 29, 7:08*am, ImStillMags > wrote:
> On Oct 29, 6:07*am, Gary > wrote:
>

> > sf wrote:

> > > I've never seen brown peas before. *If I did, I must have thought they
> > > were something else. *When I have a ham bone, I use split peas which
> > > are green - or any of a dozen or more other beans to make soup.

> > They must have sold them more often back in the early 60's? *When I was a
> > kid (elementary school), pea-shooters were popular with us fellows. *It was
> > just a large diameter plastic straw that came with a supply of "ammo." *We
> > used to get more ammo from the grocery store...one pound bags of nice round
> > tan peas.

> > I've also wondered about that because I never see them in the grocery store
> > anymore.

> > Gary

> They were probably pigeon peas. * *Mostly you fund them where people
> make peas and riceo on a regular basis. *More Caribbean oriented
> foods. * Here's a pic.
>
> http://www.trimurtigroup.com/images/...uct_pigeon.jpg

So this got me to poking around about pigeon peas. What a cool
plant. If you live in the Southerly climes you should look at
growing some.

http://www.tropicalpermaculture.com/pigeon-pea.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 07:08:20 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> On Oct 29, 6:07*am, Gary > wrote:
> > sf wrote:
> >
> > > I've never seen brown peas before. *If I did, I must have thought they
> > > were something else. *When I have a ham bone, I use split peas which
> > > are green - or any of a dozen or more other beans to make soup.

> > They must have sold them more often back in the early 60's? *When I was a
> > kid (elementary school), pea-shooters were popular with us fellows. *It was
> > just a large diameter plastic straw that came with a supply of "ammo." *We
> > used to get more ammo from the grocery store...one pound bags of nice round
> > tan peas.
> >
> > I've also wondered about that because I never see them in the grocery store
> > anymore.
> >
> > Gary

> They were probably pigeon peas. Mostly you fund them where people
> make peas and riceo on a regular basis. More Caribbean oriented
> foods. Here's a pic.
>
> http://www.trimurtigroup.com/images/...uct_pigeon.jpg

Since we're talking about beans & rice, I need to ask you something...
I always thought red beans and rice was a fairly dry dish. Either the
beans were mixed into the rice
http://prescottollinewsletter.files..../red-beans.jpg

or the beans were cooked down to a thick gravy and served on top of
rice, http://www.simplyrecipes.com/photos/...ans-rice-2.jpg

but the red beans and rice I ran across the other day was soup. Is
that normal or was it just their soup of the day?

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 07:15:34 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> On Oct 29, 7:08*am, ImStillMags > wrote:

> > > They must have sold them more often back in the early 60's? *When I was a
> > > kid (elementary school), pea-shooters were popular with us fellows. *It was
> > > just a large diameter plastic straw that came with a supply of "ammo." *We
> > > used to get more ammo from the grocery store...one pound bags of nice round
> > > tan peas.

> > > I've also wondered about that because I never see them in the grocery store
> > > anymore.

> > > Gary

> > They were probably pigeon peas. * *Mostly you fund them where people
> > make peas and riceo on a regular basis. *More Caribbean oriented
> > foods. * Here's a pic.
> >
> > http://www.trimurtigroup.com/images/...uct_pigeon.jpg

> So this got me to poking around about pigeon peas. What a cool
> plant. If you live in the Southerly climes you should look at
> growing some.
>
> http://www.tropicalpermaculture.com/pigeon-pea.html

I figured out that marrowfat peas are really just mature English peas
(which I guess are better known as "garden peas" to them) that have
been allowed to dry. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marrowfat_peas but
here's an interesting article - if you're interested in the topic of
"peas"
http://adambalic.typepad.com/the_art...aple_peas.html

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/29/2012 11:33 AM, sf wrote:

> I figured out that marrowfat peas are really just mature English peas
> (which I guess are better known as "garden peas" to them) that have
> been allowed to dry. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marrowfat_peas but
> here's an interesting article - if you're interested in the topic of
> "peas"

> http://adambalic.typepad.com/the_art...aple_peas.html

I stopped reading that article about halfway through - the author could
use a few lessons in grammar and spelling.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Oct 29, 8:18*am, sf > wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 07:08:20 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
>

> > wrote:

> > > They must have sold them more often back in the early 60's? *When I was a
> > > kid (elementary school), pea-shooters were popular with us fellows. *It was
> > > just a large diameter plastic straw that came with a supply of "ammo." *We
> > > used to get more ammo from the grocery store...one pound bags of nice round
> > > tan peas.

> > > I've also wondered about that because I never see them in the grocery store
> > > anymore.

> > > Gary

> > They were probably pigeon peas. * *Mostly you fund them where people
> > make peas and riceo on a regular basis. *More Caribbean oriented
> > foods. * Here's a pic.

> >http://www.trimurtigroup.com/images/...uct_pigeon.jpg

> Since we're talking about beans & rice, I need to ask you something...
> I always thought red beans and rice was a fairly dry dish. *Either the
> beans were mixed into the ricehttp://prescottollinewsletter.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/red-beans.jpg
>
> or the beans were cooked down to a thick gravy and served on top of
> rice,http://www.simplyrecipes.com/photos/...ans-rice-2.jpg
>
> but the red beans and rice I ran across the other day was soup. *Is
> that normal or was it just their soup of the day?
>
> --
> I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

My red beans and rice are not cooked down to a thick gravy and it
definitely is NOT a soup.

They are served with rice. I usually serve them with a scoop of rice
on the top.

http://www.hizzoners.com/recipes/lun...d-beans-a-rice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 12:37:11 -0400, S Viemeister
> wrote:

> On 10/29/2012 11:33 AM, sf wrote:
>
> > I figured out that marrowfat peas are really just mature English peas
> > (which I guess are better known as "garden peas" to them) that have
> > been allowed to dry. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marrowfat_peas but
> > here's an interesting article - if you're interested in the topic of
> > "peas"

> > http://adambalic.typepad.com/the_art...aple_peas.html
> >

> I stopped reading that article about halfway through - the author could
> use a few lessons in grammar and spelling.

I doubt any of that information was new to you anyway.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila