Old 15-10-2012, 06:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How Do You Celebrate Halloween?

Happy Halloween!

Check out my pumpkin:
http://i50.tinypic.com/ru1b41.jpg

What's the difference between a soccer mom and a Jack O'Lantern?
As you can see there is no difference between a soccer mom and a pig.

Ahahahahahaha. . . .

Old 15-10-2012, 09:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 15, 1:47*pm, "Paul M. Cook" wrote:
"Brooklyn1" Gravesend1 wrote in message

Happy Halloween!

Check out my pumpkin:
http://i50.tinypic.com/ru1b41.jpg

What's the difference between a soccer mom and a Jack O'Lantern?
As you can see there is no difference between a soccer mom and a pig.

Ahahahahahaha. . . .

I celebrate the way it should be celebrated - a ritual human sacrifice
followed by a ceremony to bring the dead back to life so they can feast on
the flesh of the living.

Paul

Doesn't everyone do it that way?
Old 15-10-2012, 10:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Other Guy" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 13:46:59 -0700, "Paul M. Cook"
wrote:

"Brooklyn1" Gravesend1 wrote in message
. ..
Happy Halloween!

Check out my pumpkin:
http://i50.tinypic.com/ru1b41.jpg

What's the difference between a soccer mom and a Jack O'Lantern?
As you can see there is no difference between a soccer mom and a pig.

Ahahahahahaha. . . .

I celebrate the way it should be celebrated - a ritual human sacrifice
followed by a ceremony to bring the dead back to life so they can feast on
the flesh of the living.

Which, of COURSE, isn't at all what it represents.

For reality rather than tolling nonsense, do a search for Samhain.

It's an ANCIENT Celtic Holy day.

Celts practiced ritual sacrifice, too. Don't knock it till you try it.

Paul

Old 15-10-2012, 10:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

"Brooklyn1" Gravesend1 wrote in message
. ..
Happy Halloween!

Check out my pumpkin:
http://i50.tinypic.com/ru1b41.jpg

What's the difference between a soccer mom and a Jack O'Lantern?
As you can see there is no difference between a soccer mom and a pig.

Ahahahahahaha. . . .

I celebrate the way it should be celebrated - a ritual human sacrifice
followed by a ceremony to bring the dead back to life so they can feast on
the flesh of the living.

Which, of COURSE, isn't at all what it represents.

For reality rather than tolling nonsense, do a search for Samhain.

It's an ANCIENT Celtic Holy day.

Celts practiced ritual sacrifice, too. Don't knock it till you try it.

Paul

But that is not what Samhain is about. Google it.

Jill

Old 15-10-2012, 11:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/15/2012 7:43 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
Happy Halloween!

Check out my pumpkin:
http://i50.tinypic.com/ru1b41.jpg

What's the difference between a soccer mom and a Jack O'Lantern?
As you can see there is no difference between a soccer mom and a pig.

Ahahahahahaha. . . .

I celebrate by doing nothing at all. It's a dumb day that adults have
taken over so they can act stupid and get drunk. OTOH, the great thing
about Halloween is that the TV stations will be playing a shitload of
horror movies. I look forward to that. I wish they'd do that all year.
Here's my favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQOZHEYhVtU

Old 16-10-2012, 12:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 15, 3:58*pm, dsi1 wrote:
On 10/15/2012 7:43 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Happy Halloween!

Check out my pumpkin:
http://i50.tinypic.com/ru1b41.jpg

What's the difference between a soccer mom and a Jack O'Lantern?
As you can see there is no difference between a soccer mom and a pig.

Ahahahahahaha. . . .

I celebrate by doing nothing at all. It's a dumb day that adults have
taken over so they can act stupid and get drunk. OTOH, the great thing
about Halloween is that the TV stations will be playing a shitload of
horror movies. I look forward to that. I wish they'd do that all year.
Here's my favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQOZHEYhVtU

There's nothing like the Saw series.
Old 16-10-2012, 12:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/15/2012 1:05 PM, Chemo wrote:
On Oct 15, 3:58 pm, dsi1 wrote:
On 10/15/2012 7:43 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Happy Halloween!

Check out my pumpkin:
http://i50.tinypic.com/ru1b41.jpg

What's the difference between a soccer mom and a Jack O'Lantern?
As you can see there is no difference between a soccer mom and a pig.

Ahahahahahaha. . . .

I celebrate by doing nothing at all. It's a dumb day that adults have
taken over so they can act stupid and get drunk. OTOH, the great thing
about Halloween is that the TV stations will be playing a shitload of
horror movies. I look forward to that. I wish they'd do that all year.
Here's my favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQOZHEYhVtU

There's nothing like the Saw series.

I saw the first one. That was pretty good. I've not seen the others. I
don't know why that is.
Old 16-10-2012, 02:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 15, 3:58 pm, dsi1 wrote:
On 10/15/2012 7:43 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Happy Halloween!

Check out my pumpkin:
http://i50.tinypic.com/ru1b41.jpg

What's the difference between a soccer mom and a Jack O'Lantern?
As you can see there is no difference between a soccer mom and a pig.

Ahahahahahaha. . . .

I celebrate by doing nothing at all. It's a dumb day that adults have
taken over so they can act stupid and get drunk. OTOH, the great thing
about Halloween is that the TV stations will be playing a shitload of
horror movies. I look forward to that. I wish they'd do that all year.
Here's my favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQOZHEYhVtU

There's nothing like the Saw series.

I saw the first one. That was pretty good. I've not seen the others. I
don't know why that is.

By far the best way to spend Halloween eve was watching Shock Theater
with John Zacherle (Roland).
The Master of the Macab
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiTkG...eature=related
http://www.broadcastpioneers.com/roland.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Zacherle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1JtXRXvXFc
Download:
http://www.last.fm/music/John+Zacher...ord _rollover

Old 16-10-2012, 03:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" wrote in message

Happy Halloween!

Check out my pumpkin:
http://i50.tinypic.com/ru1b41.jpg

What's the difference between a soccer mom and a Jack O'Lantern?
As you can see there is no difference between a soccer mom and a pig.

Ahahahahahaha. . . .

****************
Not the way you do, obviously I finally found my blinking eyeball lights
and strung them through the shrubs out front. Several folks have commented
on how nifty they are. And I have a black cat flag hanging from the garage.

Last year John was visiting for the month of October. We bought a pumpkin
and he carved a black "Halloween cat" (arched back) image into a pumpkin,
backlit by a tea candle. It was very cute! I don't plan on buying a
pumpkin this year.

Lots of the old folks here are getting into the spirit. A house down the
street from me has a skeleton sitting on a bale of pine straw. Another has
pumpkins and cornstalks, more of a Fall display but still... In the other
direction, there's a house bathed in eerie orange light at night

Jill

Old 16-10-2012, 05:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 15, 2012 9:36:30 PM UTC-4, The Other Guy wrote:

It was originally, AND STILL IS, an adult Holy day in Ireland and a few other places outside the U.S.

Er, elaborate? I mean, I know about All Saints' Day, but that's November 1st, and I don't even know what serious rituals are connected with that, never mind any holy rituals connected with Halloween!

Also, from a 1996 interview with humorist Fran Lebowitz:

DAVID: So, in the spirit of Halloween, tell me your most vivid Halloween memory.

FRAN: You mean my childhood memories? I was very interested in Halloween as a child. I have no interest in it as an adult, which I think is appropriate.

(end)

I don't have too much interest either, these days, though I'd be glad to get together with a bunch of adults and kids just for the sake of staying in the kitchen and making those funny, eerie dishes such as gummy worms in chocolate dirt - and then watching some old horror movies. (I'd bet that even the 1960s version of "The Pit and the Pendulum" would scare quite a few preteens. Just not all.)

And elaborate costume balls can be quite appealing - but who wants to spend all that money on a truly attractive costume that you won't likely use again?

Lenona.

Old 16-10-2012, 07:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 10:40:24 -0400, "jmcquown"
wrote:

Lots of the old folks here are getting into the spirit. A house down the
street from me has a skeleton sitting on a bale of pine straw. Another has
pumpkins and cornstalks, more of a Fall display but still... In the other
direction, there's a house bathed in eerie orange light at night

Are their grandchildren close enough to trick-r-treat in your
neighborhood?

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Old 16-10-2012, 08:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/16/2012 12:00 PM, wrote:
[...]

I was brought up in Scotland and Halloween there was much like the US as
far as the kids were concerned.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Old 16-10-2012, 08:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/16/2012 3:04 PM, James Silverton wrote:

I was brought up in Scotland and Halloween there was much like the US as
far as the kids were concerned.

But with neep lanterns, rather than pumpkins.
Old 16-10-2012, 08:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/16/2012 3:30 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
On 10/16/2012 3:04 PM, James Silverton wrote:

I was brought up in Scotland and Halloween there was much like the US as
far as the kids were concerned.

But with neep lanterns, rather than pumpkins.

True 'nuff!

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Old 16-10-2012, 09:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/15/2012 3:36 PM, The Other Guy wrote:
On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 12:58:39 -1000, dsi1
wrote:

I celebrate by doing nothing at all. It's a dumb day that adults have
taken over so they can act stupid and get drunk.

It was originally, AND STILL IS, an adult Holy day in Ireland
and a few other places outside the U.S..

It was taken over by children in the U.S. in the early 1900s,
then went to drunken revelry by so-called adults in the late 1900s.

Ha ha, the people of my generation must have got too much treats during
Halloween and all that sugar messed up their brains so they've continued
to expect a bunch of candy that day except the candy has been replaced
with booze.

To reply by email, lose the Ks...

Celebrate Cinco de Mayo toci Tea 1 05-05-2011 03:23 PM
But we don't celebrate Christmas! Serene Vannoy General Cooking 26 26-12-2010 11:34 PM
Celebrate the New Year! mixr General 0 30-12-2009 08:21 PM
To all who celebrate gloria.p General Cooking 8 15-12-2009 10:46 AM
Another reason to celebrate! modom General Cooking 1 20-06-2005 02:54 PM