FoodBanter.com

-   -   How Do You Celebrate Halloween? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/420492-how-do-you-celebrate.html)

Brooklyn1 15-10-2012 06:43 PM

How Do You Celebrate Halloween?

Happy Halloween!

Check out my pumpkin:
http://i50.tinypic.com/ru1b41.jpg

What's the difference between a soccer mom and a Jack O'Lantern?
As you can see there is no difference between a soccer mom and a pig.

Ahahahahahaha. . . .

Chemo[_2_] 15-10-2012 09:58 PM

On Oct 15, 1:47*pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> "Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message

> > Happy Halloween!

> > Check out my pumpkin:
> >http://i50.tinypic.com/ru1b41.jpg

> > What's the difference between a soccer mom and a Jack O'Lantern?
> > As you can see there is no difference between a soccer mom and a pig.

> > Ahahahahahaha. . . .

> I celebrate the way it should be celebrated - a ritual human sacrifice
> followed by a ceremony to bring the dead back to life so they can feast on
> the flesh of the living.
>
> Paul

Doesn't everyone do it that way?

Paul M. Cook 15-10-2012 10:08 PM

"The Other Guy" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 13:46:59 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
. ..
>>> Happy Halloween!
>>>
>>> Check out my pumpkin:
>>> http://i50.tinypic.com/ru1b41.jpg
>>>
>>> What's the difference between a soccer mom and a Jack O'Lantern?
>>> As you can see there is no difference between a soccer mom and a pig.
>>>
>>> Ahahahahahaha. . . .

>>I celebrate the way it should be celebrated - a ritual human sacrifice
>>followed by a ceremony to bring the dead back to life so they can feast on
>>the flesh of the living.

> Which, of COURSE, isn't at all what it represents.
>
> For reality rather than tolling nonsense, do a search for Samhain.
>
> It's an ANCIENT Celtic Holy day.

Celts practiced ritual sacrifice, too. Don't knock it till you try it.

Paul

jmcquown[_2_] 15-10-2012 10:28 PM

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message ...

"The Other Guy" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 13:46:59 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
. ..
>>> Happy Halloween!
>>>
>>> Check out my pumpkin:
>>> http://i50.tinypic.com/ru1b41.jpg
>>>
>>> What's the difference between a soccer mom and a Jack O'Lantern?
>>> As you can see there is no difference between a soccer mom and a pig.
>>>
>>> Ahahahahahaha. . . .

>>I celebrate the way it should be celebrated - a ritual human sacrifice
>>followed by a ceremony to bring the dead back to life so they can feast on
>>the flesh of the living.

> Which, of COURSE, isn't at all what it represents.
>
> For reality rather than tolling nonsense, do a search for Samhain.
>
> It's an ANCIENT Celtic Holy day.

Celts practiced ritual sacrifice, too. Don't knock it till you try it.

Paul

But that is not what Samhain is about. Google it.

Jill

dsi1[_15_] 15-10-2012 11:58 PM

On 10/15/2012 7:43 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Happy Halloween!
>
> Check out my pumpkin:
> http://i50.tinypic.com/ru1b41.jpg
>
> What's the difference between a soccer mom and a Jack O'Lantern?
> As you can see there is no difference between a soccer mom and a pig.
>
> Ahahahahahaha. . . .

I celebrate by doing nothing at all. It's a dumb day that adults have
taken over so they can act stupid and get drunk. OTOH, the great thing
about Halloween is that the TV stations will be playing a shitload of
horror movies. I look forward to that. I wish they'd do that all year.
Here's my favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQOZHEYhVtU

Chemo[_2_] 16-10-2012 12:05 AM

On Oct 15, 3:58*pm, dsi1 > wrote:
> On 10/15/2012 7:43 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
> > Happy Halloween!

> > Check out my pumpkin:
> >http://i50.tinypic.com/ru1b41.jpg

> > What's the difference between a soccer mom and a Jack O'Lantern?
> > As you can see there is no difference between a soccer mom and a pig.

> > Ahahahahahaha. . . .

> I celebrate by doing nothing at all. It's a dumb day that adults have
> taken over so they can act stupid and get drunk. OTOH, the great thing
> about Halloween is that the TV stations will be playing a shitload of
> horror movies. I look forward to that. I wish they'd do that all year.
> Here's my favorite:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQOZHEYhVtU

There's nothing like the Saw series.

dsi1[_18_] 16-10-2012 12:41 AM

On 10/15/2012 1:05 PM, Chemo wrote:
> On Oct 15, 3:58 pm, dsi1 > wrote:
>> On 10/15/2012 7:43 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>>> Happy Halloween!

>>> Check out my pumpkin:
>>> http://i50.tinypic.com/ru1b41.jpg

>>> What's the difference between a soccer mom and a Jack O'Lantern?
>>> As you can see there is no difference between a soccer mom and a pig.

>>> Ahahahahahaha. . . .

>> I celebrate by doing nothing at all. It's a dumb day that adults have
>> taken over so they can act stupid and get drunk. OTOH, the great thing
>> about Halloween is that the TV stations will be playing a shitload of
>> horror movies. I look forward to that. I wish they'd do that all year.
>> Here's my favorite:
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQOZHEYhVtU

> There's nothing like the Saw series.

I saw the first one. That was pretty good. I've not seen the others. I
don't know why that is.

Brooklyn1 16-10-2012 02:41 AM

How Do You Celebrate Halloween?

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 13:41:53 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

>On 10/15/2012 1:05 PM, Chemo wrote:

>>> I celebrate by doing nothing at all. It's a dumb day that adults have
>>> taken over so they can act stupid and get drunk. OTOH, the great thing
>>> about Halloween is that the TV stations will be playing a shitload of
>>> horror movies. I look forward to that. I wish they'd do that all year.
>>> Here's my favorite:
>>>
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQOZHEYhVtU

>> There's nothing like the Saw series.
>>

>I saw the first one. That was pretty good. I've not seen the others. I
>don't know why that is.

By far the best way to spend Halloween eve was watching Shock Theater
with John Zacherle (Roland).
The Master of the Macab
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiTkG...eature=related
http://www.broadcastpioneers.com/roland.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Zacherle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1JtXRXvXFc
Download:
http://www.last.fm/music/John+Zacher...ord _rollover

jmcquown[_2_] 16-10-2012 03:40 PM

"Brooklyn1" wrote in message

Happy Halloween!

Check out my pumpkin:
http://i50.tinypic.com/ru1b41.jpg

What's the difference between a soccer mom and a Jack O'Lantern?
As you can see there is no difference between a soccer mom and a pig.

Ahahahahahaha. . . .

****************
Not the way you do, obviously ;) I finally found my blinking eyeball lights
and strung them through the shrubs out front. Several folks have commented
on how nifty they are. And I have a black cat flag hanging from the garage.

Last year John was visiting for the month of October. We bought a pumpkin
and he carved a black "Halloween cat" (arched back) image into a pumpkin,
backlit by a tea candle. It was very cute! I don't plan on buying a
pumpkin this year.

Lots of the old folks here are getting into the spirit. A house down the
street from me has a skeleton sitting on a bale of pine straw. Another has
pumpkins and cornstalks, more of a Fall display but still... In the other
direction, there's a house bathed in eerie orange light at night :)

Jill

[email protected] 16-10-2012 05:00 PM

How Do You Celebrate Halloween?

On Monday, October 15, 2012 9:36:30 PM UTC-4, The Other Guy wrote:

It was originally, AND STILL IS, an adult Holy day in Ireland and a few other places outside the U.S.

Er, elaborate? I mean, I know about All Saints' Day, but that's November 1st, and I don't even know what serious rituals are connected with that, never mind any holy rituals connected with Halloween!

Also, from a 1996 interview with humorist Fran Lebowitz:

DAVID: So, in the spirit of Halloween, tell me your most vivid Halloween memory.

FRAN: You mean my childhood memories? I was very interested in Halloween as a child. I have no interest in it as an adult, which I think is appropriate.

(end)

I don't have too much interest either, these days, though I'd be glad to get together with a bunch of adults and kids just for the sake of staying in the kitchen and making those funny, eerie dishes such as gummy worms in chocolate dirt - and then watching some old horror movies. (I'd bet that even the 1960s version of "The Pit and the Pendulum" would scare quite a few preteens. Just not all.)

And elaborate costume balls can be quite appealing - but who wants to spend all that money on a truly attractive costume that you won't likely use again?

Lenona.

sf[_9_] 16-10-2012 07:01 PM

How Do You Celebrate Halloween?

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 10:40:24 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> Lots of the old folks here are getting into the spirit. A house down the
> street from me has a skeleton sitting on a bale of pine straw. Another has
> pumpkins and cornstalks, more of a Fall display but still... In the other
> direction, there's a house bathed in eerie orange light at night :)

Are their grandchildren close enough to trick-r-treat in your
neighborhood?

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

James Silverton[_3_] 16-10-2012 08:04 PM

On 10/16/2012 12:00 PM, wrote:
> On Monday, October 15, 2012 9:36:30 PM UTC-4, The Other Guy wrote:
>

> It was originally, AND STILL IS, an adult Holy day in Ireland and a few other places outside the U.S.
>
> Er, elaborate? I mean, I know about All Saints' Day, but that's November 1st, and I don't even know what serious rituals are connected with that, never mind any holy rituals connected with Halloween!
>
> Also, from a 1996 interview with humorist Fran Lebowitz:
>
> DAVID: So, in the spirit of Halloween, tell me your most vivid Halloween memory.
>
> FRAN: You mean my childhood memories? I was very interested in Halloween as a child. I have no interest in it as an adult, which I think is appropriate.
>
> (end)
>
> I don't have too much interest either, these days, though I'd be glad to get together with a bunch of adults and kids just for the sake of staying in the kitchen and making those funny, eerie dishes such as gummy worms in chocolate dirt - and then watching some old horror movies. (I'd bet that even the 1960s version of "The Pit and the Pendulum" would scare quite a few preteens. Just not all.)
>
> And elaborate costume balls can be quite appealing - but who wants to spend all that money on a truly attractive costume that you won't likely use again?
>
> Lenona.

I was brought up in Scotland and Halloween there was much like the US as
far as the kids were concerned.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

S Viemeister[_2_] 16-10-2012 08:30 PM

On 10/16/2012 3:04 PM, James Silverton wrote:

> I was brought up in Scotland and Halloween there was much like the US as
> far as the kids were concerned.

But with neep lanterns, rather than pumpkins.

James Silverton[_3_] 16-10-2012 08:44 PM

On 10/16/2012 3:30 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 10/16/2012 3:04 PM, James Silverton wrote:
>
>> I was brought up in Scotland and Halloween there was much like the US as
>> far as the kids were concerned.
>>

> But with neep lanterns, rather than pumpkins.

True 'nuff!

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

dsi1[_18_] 16-10-2012 09:14 PM

On 10/15/2012 3:36 PM, The Other Guy wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 12:58:39 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>

>> I celebrate by doing nothing at all. It's a dumb day that adults have
>> taken over so they can act stupid and get drunk.

> It was originally, AND STILL IS, an adult Holy day in Ireland
> and a few other places outside the U.S..
>
> It was taken over by children in the U.S. in the early 1900s,
> then went to drunken revelry by so-called adults in the late 1900s.

Ha ha, the people of my generation must have got too much treats during
Halloween and all that sugar messed up their brains so they've continued
to expect a bunch of candy that day except the candy has been replaced
with booze.

dsi1[_18_] 16-10-2012 09:19 PM

On 10/15/2012 3:41 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 13:41:53 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:

>>> There's nothing like the Saw series.
>>>

>> I saw the first one. That was pretty good. I've not seen the others. I
>> don't know why that is.

> By far the best way to spend Halloween eve was watching Shock Theater
> with John Zacherle (Roland).
> The Master of the Macab
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiTkG...eature=related
> http://www.broadcastpioneers.com/roland.html
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Zacherle
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1JtXRXvXFc
> Download:
> http://www.last.fm/music/John+Zacher...ord _rollover

That guy's signal never reach that far West to get to us. We used to
have a Vampira type host over here showing crappy movies in the early
60s on Saturday nights. I have seen clips of him from the doc "American
Scary." That guy had way too much class!

Kalmia 16-10-2012 09:25 PM

How Do You Celebrate Halloween?

Pass out candy til it's gone, then out goes the porch light. I don a mask, if I can ever remember where I store the darn thing every year. Or if I remember, it gets too hot and I doff it fast.

I don't decorate.

Earl[_41_] 17-10-2012 12:15 AM

jmcquown wrote:
> "Brooklyn1" wrote in message
>
> Happy Halloween!
>
> Check out my pumpkin:
> http://i50.tinypic.com/ru1b41.jpg
>
> What's the difference between a soccer mom and a Jack O'Lantern?
> As you can see there is no difference between a soccer mom and a pig.
>
> Ahahahahahaha. . . .
>
> ****************
> Not the way you do, obviously ;) I finally found my blinking eyeball
> lights and strung them through the shrubs out front. Several folks
> have commented on how nifty they are. And I have a black cat flag
> hanging from the garage.
>
> Last year John was visiting for the month of October. We bought a
> pumpkin and he carved a black "Halloween cat" (arched back) image into
> a pumpkin, backlit by a tea candle. It was very cute! I don't plan
> on buying a pumpkin this year.
>
> Lots of the old folks here are getting into the spirit. A house down
> the street from me has a skeleton sitting on a bale of pine straw.
> Another has pumpkins and cornstalks, more of a Fall display but
> still... In the other direction, there's a house bathed in eerie
> orange light at night :)
>
> Jill

You *are* one of the "old folks" there.

gregz 17-10-2012 04:47 AM

dsi1 > wrote:
> On 10/15/2012 3:41 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 13:41:53 -1000, dsi1
>> > wrote:

>>> I saw the first one. That was pretty good. I've not seen the others. I
>>> don't know why that is.

>> By far the best way to spend Halloween eve was watching Shock Theater
>> with John Zacherle (Roland).
>> The Master of the Macab
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiTkG...eature=related
>> http://www.broadcastpioneers.com/roland.html
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Zacherle
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1JtXRXvXFc
>> Download:
>> http://www.last.fm/music/John+Zacher...ord _rollover
>>

> That guy's signal never reach that far West to get to us. We used to have
> a Vampira type host over here showing crappy movies in the early 60s on
> Saturday nights. I have seen clips of him from the doc "American Scary."
> That guy had way too much class!

I didn't for anything or Halloween until recently, going to a friends
party, dressing up, been about the fifth year coming up.

All this got me thinking of growing up in Pittsburgh. Our chiller theater
was a classic. From 1961 to 1981. It was so popular, it kept Saturday night
live off for 4 years. When they were filming original classic, night of the
living dead, featured Producer and others from movie production, tom
savini. Years later a medical researcher I did work for, informed me he was
audio man for the movie, and was in the movie.

Music to my ears, the shows soundtrack...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKKDRpl8IpU

Greg

jmcquown[_2_] 18-10-2012 06:15 PM

wrote:

> Lots of the old folks here are getting into the spirit. A house down the
> street from me has a skeleton sitting on a bale of pine straw. Another
> has
> pumpkins and cornstalks, more of a Fall display but still... In the other
> direction, there's a house bathed in eerie orange light at night :)

Are their grandchildren close enough to trick-r-treat in your
neighborhood?

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

For the most part, no. My neighbor's grandchildren are in Minnesota and
North Carolina. The other people I know (that's not a lot of people) are
only here a few times a year. One couple is from Massachusetts, the other
Maryland. Their extended families live in those areas. For lots of people
these are second homes... ostensibly [to be] retirement homes one day. But
they're still decorating :) I didn't see as much of it last year.

Jill

Gary 18-10-2012 10:30 PM

How Do You Celebrate Halloween?

Here's a funny idea for trick-or-treating with a small baby. heheh ;)

http://unofficialnetworks.com/10-fke...11.29.00-am-2/