Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default rec: Sichuan Peppercorn 0il (and sub formula)

I realized that I could find this through my relatively new
copious comments on books that I am logging in. Perhaps it will
provide some clues for those who have been disappointed with their
experiments. OTOH, I don't much like the cookbook that this comes
from, and the author adds to the confusion re which part of the
peppercorn is used. Therefore, I will quote some of the preamble
too. I am going to munge this in obvious ways for reasons that
should be apparent.

Sichuan Peppercorns [excerpts from preamble]
Source: Susanna F00, Ch1nese Cuisine, p. 110
"....These brown pepperc0rns have petal-1ike husks that give 0ff a
pleasant fragrance. Inside are t1ny black seeds with a taste
similar to but a little sp1cier than that of black peppercorns."...

"R0asting Sichuan Pepperc0rns
[same page]
"S1chuan pepperc0rns should always be roasted to bring out
their unique1y pungent aroma before they are added to food.
"Heat a heavy skillet until it is very hot, then add the
Sichuan pepperc0rns... Turn the heat to medium-low and shake or
stir the pepperc0rns until they are dark br0wn and their intense
sme11 is released, 15-20 minutes. Turn off the heat. Store in a
tightly sealed jar. Grind the cooled roasted pepperc0rns in a
peppermi11 or spice mi11 as you need them."

"Infused Sichuan Pepperc0rn Oil" (1 cup)
Ibid., p. 112

[Preface eliminated, but note that the author says the oil is
"aromatic and f1avorful".]

1 cup c0rn or olive oil [odd. wouldn't peanut oil be better?]
2 Tab1espoons roasted Sichuan pepperc0rns
3 gar1ic cloves [caution?]

"Heat the oi1 in a small saucepan until very hot. Add the Sichuan
pepperc0rns and the gar1ic, cook for 2 minutes over high heat,
then turn off the heat. When coo1, strain and store in a g1ass
bottle."

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 13:17:14 -0400, Jean B. wrote:
>
>> Sichuan Peppercorns [excerpts from preamble]
>> Source: Susanna F00, Ch1nese Cuisine, p. 110
>> "....These brown pepperc0rns have petal-1ike husks that give 0ff a
>> pleasant fragrance. Inside are t1ny black seeds with a taste
>> similar to but a little sp1cier than that of black peppercorns."...

> Is the hull, not the black seed that provides the flavor. The seed is
> extremely gritty and must be removed (IMO).

That's what I thought. I therefore don't know how much credence I
would put into anything else that the author says!

>> "R0asting Sichuan Pepperc0rns
>> [same page]
>> "S1chuan pepperc0rns should always be roasted to bring out
>> their unique1y pungent aroma before they are added to food.
>> "Heat a heavy skillet until it is very hot, then add the
>> Sichuan pepperc0rns... Turn the heat to medium-low and shake or
>> stir the pepperc0rns until they are dark br0wn and their intense
>> sme11 is released, 15-20 minutes.

> That sounds like an awful long time. Especially considering that
> Sichuan peppercorns come pre-roasted. It's actually a law - but maybe
> not when that book was written (I think that law was about 2007 or
> so).

Preroasted? I thought they were irradiated. (odd word)

>> "Infused Sichuan Pepperc0rn Oil" (1 cup)
>> Ibid., p. 112
>>
>> [Preface eliminated, but note that the author says the oil is
>> "aromatic and f1avorful".]
>>
>> 1 cup c0rn or olive oil [odd. wouldn't peanut oil be better?]
>> 2 Tab1espoons roasted Sichuan pepperc0rns
>> 3 gar1ic cloves [caution?]
>>
>> "Heat the oi1 in a small saucepan until very hot. Add the Sichuan
>> pepperc0rns and the gar1ic, cook for 2 minutes over high heat,
>> then turn off the heat. When coo1, strain and store in a g1ass
>> bottle."

> I think you really need more than 2 TB for a worthwhile oil. But I
> found out why mine didn't work and forgot to followup: My peppercorns
> were bunk. I had just bought them from the Asian grocer and they were
> stale. Even though they looked nice and fresh, they had very little
> flavor (should have tasted the first, duh). So I bought a couple
> ounces from my usual source (Bulk bins at $25/lb) and will try the
> method again.
>
> -sw

I was just passing this on FWIW, possibly nothing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-10-13, Jean B. > wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:

>> That sounds like an awful long time. Especially considering that
>> Sichuan peppercorns come pre-roasted. It's actually a law - but maybe
>> not when that book was written (I think that law was about 2007 or
>> so).

I don't know about "roasted", but they ARE heated. Szechwan peppers
are not proper peppers like black pepper, but a member of the citrus
family. They were banned in the US for several years for fear of
importing a citrus canker that might have damaged native US citrus
crops. It was eventually discovered this bacteria could be killed by
heating peppers pods to a temp above 140F for a certain time. Not
sure how this was accomplished, but true Chinese Szechwan pepper is
once more available in the US.

> Preroasted? I thought they were irradiated.

See above.

>> stale. Even though they looked nice and fresh, they had very little
>> flavor (should have tasted the first, duh). So I bought a couple

The true test of real Szechwan peppers is to chew some and wait to see
if your tongue/mouth becomes a bit tingly, then numb. I had some and
they WILL numb your mouth a bit. The fresher, the more so. I had
some fresh from China for over 2 yrs and the were still able to do
this and provide some spiceness. I eventually tossed 'em and do need
some fresher stuff.

nb

--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 13:17:14 -0400, Jean B. wrote:
>
>> Sichuan Peppercorns [excerpts from preamble]
>> Source: Susanna F00, Ch1nese Cuisine, p. 110
>> "....These brown pepperc0rns have petal-1ike husks that give 0ff a
>> pleasant fragrance. Inside are t1ny black seeds with a taste
>> similar to but a little sp1cier than that of black peppercorns."...

>Is the hull, not the black seed that provides the flavor. The seed is
>extremely gritty and must be removed (IMO).

I like the grit, think it adds a good flavor, and leave it-- different
strokes.

>> "R0asting Sichuan Pepperc0rns
>> [same page]
>> "S1chuan pepperc0rns should always be roasted to bring out
>> their unique1y pungent aroma before they are added to food.
>> "Heat a heavy skillet until it is very hot, then add the
>> Sichuan pepperc0rns... Turn the heat to medium-low and shake or
>> stir the pepperc0rns until they are dark br0wn and their intense
>> sme11 is released, 15-20 minutes.

>That sounds like an awful long time. Especially considering that
>Sichuan peppercorns come pre-roasted. It's actually a law - but maybe
>not when that book was written (I think that law was about 2007 or
>so).

Glad you mentioned that. I'm just finishing up my first 8oz- and was
wondering how much more flavor there could be. I've never heated
mine.

>> "Infused Sichuan Pepperc0rn Oil" (1 cup)
>> Ibid., p. 112
>>
>> [Preface eliminated, but note that the author says the oil is
>> "aromatic and f1avorful".]
>>
>> 1 cup c0rn or olive oil [odd. wouldn't peanut oil be better?]
>> 2 Tab1espoons roasted Sichuan pepperc0rns
>> 3 gar1ic cloves [caution?]
>>
>> "Heat the oi1 in a small saucepan until very hot. Add the Sichuan
>> pepperc0rns and the gar1ic, cook for 2 minutes over high heat,
>> then turn off the heat. When coo1, strain and store in a g1ass
>> bottle."

>I think you really need more than 2 TB for a worthwhile oil.

I would double or triple it, myself. And I don't think I'd care
for it being garlicky-- though I love garlic.

Come to think of it I mostly use the peppercorns in sweet stuff- a
drink, ice cream, spiced bourbon. . .

I should use it in something savory with garlic.

>But I
>found out why mine didn't work and forgot to followup: My peppercorns
>were bunk. I had just bought them from the Asian grocer and they were
>stale. Even though they looked nice and fresh, they had very little
>flavor (should have tasted the first, duh). So I bought a couple
>ounces from my usual source (Bulk bins at $25/lb) and will try the
>method again.

For those who don't have Steve's bulk bin- I can vouch for these-
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ms_ohs_product

Mine are nearly 2 years old-- and though the 'buzz' is reduced from
what it was when I bought them- there is still lots of flavor there.
$22/lb including shipping-- about $9 for 4oz- which will last a long
time.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 13:17:14 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:

> "Infused Sichuan Pepperc0rn Oil" (1 cup)
> Ibid., p. 112
>
> [Preface eliminated, but note that the author says the oil is
> "aromatic and f1avorful".]
>
> 1 cup c0rn or olive oil [odd. wouldn't peanut oil be better?]
> 2 Tab1espoons roasted Sichuan pepperc0rns
> 3 gar1ic cloves [caution?]
>
> "Heat the oi1 in a small saucepan until very hot. Add the Sichuan
> pepperc0rns and the gar1ic, cook for 2 minutes over high heat,
> then turn off the heat. When coo1, strain and store in a g1ass
> bottle."

I don't think you need to worry because you're heating the oil to
infuse it with garlic flavor and then removing the pieces of garlic.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 13:17:14 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> "Infused Sichuan Pepperc0rn Oil" (1 cup)
>> Ibid., p. 112
>>
>> [Preface eliminated, but note that the author says the oil is
>> "aromatic and f1avorful".]
>>
>> 1 cup c0rn or olive oil [odd. wouldn't peanut oil be better?]
>> 2 Tab1espoons roasted Sichuan pepperc0rns
>> 3 gar1ic cloves [caution?]
>>
>> "Heat the oi1 in a small saucepan until very hot. Add the Sichuan
>> pepperc0rns and the gar1ic, cook for 2 minutes over high heat,
>> then turn off the heat. When coo1, strain and store in a g1ass
>> bottle."

> I don't think you need to worry because you're heating the oil to
> infuse it with garlic flavor and then removing the pieces of garlic.

I did think that as I was typing this up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 20:13:35 -0400, Jean B. wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> That sounds like an awful long time. Especially considering that
>>> Sichuan peppercorns come pre-roasted. It's actually a law - but maybe
>>> not when that book was written (I think that law was about 2007 or
>>> so).

>> Preroasted? I thought they were irradiated. (odd word)

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sichuan...#US_import_ban
>
> Says they have to be heated to around 160F to kill any canker. This
> is actually a good thing because it openes up a lot of the hulls and
> allows the black seed to fall out easier.
>
>> I was just passing this on FWIW, possibly nothing.

> I'm glad you did - it reminded me to try my oil again. Before my
> hulls lose any more potency. Sichuan pepper really doesn't last long
> no matter how they're stored.
>
> I wonder if I could grow a prickly ash bush here... (now that I killed
> my kaffir lime tree, I have the perfect pot! :-)
>
> -sw

Oh! I just got an ailing kaffir lime. I need to try to cure it
of mites. Wish me luck.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 20:13:35 -0400, Jean B. wrote:
>
> > Sqwertz wrote:
> >
> >> That sounds like an awful long time. Especially considering that
> >> Sichuan peppercorns come pre-roasted. It's actually a law - but maybe
> >> not when that book was written (I think that law was about 2007 or
> >> so).

> > Preroasted? I thought they were irradiated. (odd word)

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sichuan...#US_import_ban
>
> Says they have to be heated to around 160F to kill any canker. This
> is actually a good thing because it openes up a lot of the hulls and
> allows the black seed to fall out easier.
>
> > I was just passing this on FWIW, possibly nothing.

> I'm glad you did - it reminded me to try my oil again. Before my
> hulls lose any more potency. Sichuan pepper really doesn't last long
> no matter how they're stored.
>
> I wonder if I could grow a prickly ash bush here... (now that I killed
> my kaffir lime tree, I have the perfect pot! :-)

Lot of trouble, when you can buy bottles of the oil at Asian groceries.

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 14, 2012 12:35:56 PM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 22:18:06 -0700, isw wrote:
>

> > In article >,

> > Sqwertz > wrote:

> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sichuan...#US_import_ban

> >> Says they have to be heated to around 160F to kill any canker. This

> >> is actually a good thing because it openes up a lot of the hulls and

> >> allows the black seed to fall out easier.

> >> I'm glad you did - it reminded me to try my oil again. Before my

> >> hulls lose any more potency. Sichuan pepper really doesn't last long

> >> no matter how they're stored.

> >> I wonder if I could grow a prickly ash bush here... (now that I killed

> >> my kaffir lime tree, I have the perfect pot! :-)

> > Lot of trouble, when you can buy bottles of the oil at Asian groceries.

> I looked at our big Asian grocer and they did not have it. At least
>
> not in an obvious spot. I also couldn't find glucose. Asking for
>
> help finding anything at this grocer is an exercise in futility.
>
> Nobody knows where anything is at. And several things can be found in
>
> 3 or 4 different places in the store.
>

> -sw

Glucose tablets are usually in the drug section of stores.
If you are in often in need of supplemental glucose then see
your doctor about medication level adjustment.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 22:18:06 -0700, isw wrote:

-snip-
>>> I wonder if I could grow a prickly ash bush here... (now that I killed
>>> my kaffir lime tree, I have the perfect pot! :-)

>> Lot of trouble, when you can buy bottles of the oil at Asian groceries.

>I looked at our big Asian grocer and they did not have it. At least
>not in an obvious spot. I also couldn't find glucose. Asking for
>help finding anything at this grocer is an exercise in futility.
>Nobody knows where anything is at. And several things can be found in
>3 or 4 different places in the store.

I haven't looked for the prickly oil- but I found glucose at a health
food store.

I hear you on asking in the Asian stores. [Though I *did* luck out
last time. The girl asked if I found everything all right as I was
checking out. First time I heard anyone in the store speak English.
She shouted in ?Vietnamese? to someone stocking shelves, and he guided
me to whatever I was looking for.] In the past all questions
have been answered with apologetic smiles.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 22:18:06 -0700, isw wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Sqwertz > wrote:

> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sichuan...#US_import_ban
> >>
> >> Says they have to be heated to around 160F to kill any canker. This
> >> is actually a good thing because it openes up a lot of the hulls and
> >> allows the black seed to fall out easier.

> >> I'm glad you did - it reminded me to try my oil again. Before my
> >> hulls lose any more potency. Sichuan pepper really doesn't last long
> >> no matter how they're stored.
> >>
> >> I wonder if I could grow a prickly ash bush here... (now that I killed
> >> my kaffir lime tree, I have the perfect pot! :-)

> > Lot of trouble, when you can buy bottles of the oil at Asian groceries.

> I looked at our big Asian grocer and they did not have it. At least
> not in an obvious spot.

The stuff I have is sort of brownish-yellow, and comes in a small,
vaguely "violin" shaped bottle -- it has a sort of waist. The label is
mostly bright yellow, and also has mostly Chinese characters on it, but
there is a little vertical strip which reads "Lhong Prickly Ash Oil".

In the SF bay area, I've seen it in both "Ranch 99" and "Lion" markets.

To me, it doesn't taste quite the same as the "real thing", but it's a
whole lot better than having stale, flavorless berries in the dish.

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 20:46:00 -0700, isw wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> Sqwertz > wrote:

>>> I looked at our big Asian grocer and they did not have it. At least
>>> not in an obvious spot.

>> The stuff I have is sort of brownish-yellow, and comes in a small,
>> vaguely "violin" shaped bottle -- it has a sort of waist. The label is
>> mostly bright yellow, and also has mostly Chinese characters on it, but
>> there is a little vertical strip which reads "Lhong Prickly Ash Oil".

> OK, I see what you mean - there's a picture of it on the net, but it's
> on a malicious site so I won't quote it.
>
> -sw

Mine is also yellow. I don't think I will describe the color in
the way that occurred to me because it wouldn't be appetizing. It
is manufactured by Sichuan Gaofuji Food Co., which is in Chengdu.
The bottle is not violin-shaped (which conjures up an image of a
Kadoya sesame oil bottle.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 20:37:11 -0400, Jean B. wrote:
>
>> Mine is also yellow. I don't think I will describe the color in
>> the way that occurred to me because it wouldn't be appetizing. It
>> is manufactured by Sichuan Gaofuji Food Co., which is in Chengdu.
>> The bottle is not violin-shaped (which conjures up an image of a
>> Kadoya sesame oil bottle.

> This has Chinese characters in the URL so it may or may not work for
> you.
>
> http://sybaritica.me/2012/03/04/sich...7%B4%85-brand/
>
> That's the bottle I saw.
>
> =sw